9 Mill. New Fans.

JaXoN FaNaTiC

Proud Member
Well on Facebook, the number of MJ's fans in his page was about 800,000, less than 2 days after his death it surpassed 2 Mill.

Now it's almost 10 Mill, (top FB page, bigger than Obama's);

For more info:

http://statistics.allfacebook.com/pages
============

Now anyone here became a true fan after 6/25/2009, or anyone u know?

I know many ppl who aint able stop playing his music after his death (no MJ die hard fans),

some even are Rock and/or Rap fanatix.

Keep Michaeling...:punk:

I didn't become a fan on facebook until after his death, but I've been a fan since I can remember... I grew up on Dangerous: The Short Films and Star Wars... Dangerous is the first album I ever heard, and back around 2003-2004 I cared more about Michael than anyone except for maybe my family... BUT, there are undoubtedly millions of people who have never cared for him until his death who are now fans on facebook.

I was a fan on his facebook page long before his death. I am glad he broke another record.

PS. This was posted twice before.

Ohh, I'm sorry for that double post, I thought the other thread was only about those who cared in the last few years, not after his demise....no?

The number has been moving slowly the past few days (Well, compared to the crazy rate it was going a few weeks ago)...but 10 million will be inevitable. :)

I have a facebook but I never joined the fan page. I wonder if I should.

That's alot of people.

I have a close friend who truly did become a fan after his death, her reason was that she knew that Michael Jackson was a ''famous person'' but admitted she had never heard any of his songs or paid any attention to who Michael Jackson was. She said that through the media coverage (positive media coverage) she became interested to learn more about him, and my previous attempts to make her listen to his music when he was still alive failed.. But ''thanks'' to the media coverage, she began to listen to his music, and she watches his concerts now and interviews.. She even cries to his videos.. So.. I do think she is a fan.. Maybe not a hardcore one.. She still has alot to see and hear.. But she is on her way..

Its very sad to say that ''an artist is worth more when he is dead than alive'' and that people only pay attention when someone passes away and that they are now interested in taking part of his legacy and musical talent, but hey... better late than never?

May I also say that all of those millions of so called ''fans'' are not true fans, they are caught up in the hype after Michaels death and feel the need to pay their respects and tributes by making sure they are a part of the Michael Jackson community, I think by time and after this circus is over ALOT of people will go back to being their old self and continue to NOT listen to Michael Jacksons music and go back to their old ways. At the moment EVERYONE is listening to Michael Jackson, that dosnt necessarily mean they are all fans. They just pay their tributes... Some will go back to their old ways, some will remain new fans. I think alot of people have one question in mind, who just discovered the genious of Michael Jackson;

''Why didnt I discover this man sooner???''

Last edited:
I have a facebook but I never joined the fan page. I wonder if I should.

That's alot of people.

Of course! We want to reach 10 mill :)

I've been a fan since forever, but I joined the FB fan page after it was brought to my attention, after 6/25.

Yep, me. Never took the time to listen to any music or watch any of his interviews, but after his death and the huge coverage I thought I better give it a try. Blown away, both by the man and his music.

Its very sad to say that ''an artist is worth more when he is dead than alive'' and that people only pay attention when someone passes away and that they are now interested in taking part of his legacy and musical talent, but hey... better late than never?
Yes, but since he was one of the best selling artists in history we can't really say that he was ignored while he was alive. If you consider great artists in other fields like jazz or classical music - they are brilliant too but work in virtual obscurity all of their lifes. I mean, they are celebrities and idols within their own field and to the fans of said genres, but it's on a far more modest scale than in the pop field. Say, every fan of classical music knows that Martha Argerich is a pianistic genius and one of the greatest musicians in history, but the average person on the street wouldn't know her from a hole in the ground. So, although I understand and agree with what you're saying, it's not as though MJ wasn't appreciated during his life - on the contrary, he was probably the most famous person on the planet.

Yes, but since he was one of the best selling artists in history we can't really say that he was ignored while he was alive. If you consider great artists in other fields like jazz or classical music - they are brilliant too but work in virtual obscurity all of their lifes. I mean, they are celebrities and idols within their own field and to the fans of said genres, but it's on a far more modest scale than in the pop field. Say, every fan of classical music knows that Martha Argerich is a pianistic genius and one of the greatest musicians in history, but the average person on the street wouldn't know her from a hole in the ground. So, although I understand and agree with what you're saying, it's not as though he wasn't appreciated during his life - on the contrary, he was probably the most famous person on the planet.

True that. I understand exactly what you mean.. But the thing about Michael Jackson was that everyone knew who he was, but they didnt know who he was. Everyone knew the name Michael Jackson, but only half of them knew his music and his persona. And half of them believed all the lies. It wasnt until after his death, that those 50% who had never taken the chance to actually listen to his songs and music actually paid attention to the other side of this man and not just the celebrity who was always in the newspapers. This really goes to show how much the media impacts peoples lives. When media writes negative stuff, people believe it.. When a star dies and they all of the sudden write really really positive news about him, people suddenly want to know more about this mysterious and magical superstar. Yes, its good coverage... But its a bit too late, since Michael Jackson is no longer here with us... If Michael had heard a bit more positive things about him, and less negative things I believe he would still be here with us today.

True that. I understand exactly what you mean.. But the thing about Michael Jackson was that everyone knew who he was, but they didnt know who he was. Everyone knew the name Michael Jackson, but only half of them knew his music and his persona. And half of them believed all the lies. It wasnt until after his death, that those 50% who had never taken the chance to actually listen to his songs and music actually paid attention to the other side of this man and not just the celebrity who was always in the newspapers. This really goes to show how much the media impacts peoples lives. When media writes negative stuff, people believe it.. When a star dies and they all of the sudden write really really positive news about him, people suddenly want to know more about this mysterious and magical superstar. Yes, its good coverage... But its a bit too late, since Michael Jackson is no longer here with us... If Michael had heard a bit more positive things about him, and less negative things I believe he would still be here with us today.
Agreed.

At the moment EVERYONE is listening to Michael Jackson, that dosnt necessarily mean they are all fans. They just pay their tributes... Some will go back to their old ways, some will remain new fans.
I also think that once it becomes "cool" to hate Michael again, a lot of people will revert back to their old ways. They're impressionable like that. A bunch of sheep.
Those who have genuinely spent these few weeks learning about the man, that's a different story. :)

I also think that once it becomes "cool" to hate Michael again, a lot of people will revert back to their old ways. They're impressionable like that. A bunch of sheep.
Those who have genuinely spent these few weeks learning about the man, that's a different story. :)

Yep, very true. They are like a bunch of sheeps and the collie who is herding them is the media, towards the direction they want to decide.. And guess what, the sheep is loured back into the trap... But the hell with them... :smilerolleyes:

Of course! We want to reach 10 mill :)

I've been a fan since forever, but I joined the FB fan page after it was brought to my attention, after 6/25.

Just tried to join on my facebook and apparently I had already joined lol. I havent used my facebook in a year, goes to show how little I know.

I don't think that is necessarily 9 mill NEW fans. Many may have joined b/c they wanted to join a MJ related Facebook group to show their support for Michael. I only recently just joined one.

Well on Facebook, the number of MJ's fans in his page was about 800,000, less than 2 days after his death it surpassed 2 Mill.

Now it's almost 10 Mill, (top FB page, bigger than Obama's);

For more info:

http://statistics.allfacebook.com/pages
============

Now anyone here became a true fan after 6/25/2009, or anyone u know?

I know many ppl who aint able stop playing his music after his death (no MJ die hard fans),

some even are Rock and/or Rap fanatix.

Keep Michaeling...:punk:

I think it's important to consider that many of these fans are long time fans, but just maybe not as hardcore as many of us on the internet, fan boards, etc. I call these the "In The Closet" fans who were maybe insecure with their love and beliefs about Michael. Not in a bad way particularly, but now that it is the "in" thang... it's easier to come out of the closet and BOI ARE THEY COMING OUT! WooHoo!!! It took all types of fans to accomplish what MJ accomplished statistically with record sales and concert attendance. This is also not excluding the fact that there are also many new fans since his death in the mix. That is a good thing too. Whatever, however people learn and love MJ is alright with me, it's all love the same.

I was a MJ fan prior to his death, but I didn't join the page until the day of his death when I went on my Facebook and saw various ads regarding him. I'm just glad more people in my generation and younger are also (re-)discovering MJ's music. :)

Yeah, those who think many of those millions ain't hard core fans, I agree..!

But don't 4get ya'll, it's a record no matter what, no one will say count this page out cuz most aren't really fans;

as a matter of fact, all most all of my buddies who used to just ignore MJ n his music have started to continually admire his music, and sometimes defend him, and call him stuff like: King, n legend,

hope everyone does, hope it stays 4ever,

oh boy, they even couldn't resist the fact living in a world w\out EMJAY..!! I'm serious..

He would have loved all these people to have been fans of him while hi was alive!

SO many new "fans" have come after his death! - BUT !!!! We should welcome them, get them to buy his music, and get them to know the real person who was Michael Jackson.

Even though they come know after he is dead, we should give them a warm welcome, just like MJ himself would have done!

I don't think that is necessarily 9 mill NEW fans. Many may have joined b/c they wanted to join a MJ related Facebook group to show their support for Michael. I only recently just joined one.

I agree. I just joined this forum, and I NEVER stopped loving Michael. He was a legend to me before he passed. I, too, needed the support from other fans because I was completely devastated. To me, somebody isn't less important just because they stop working. The music lives on, and even though I didn't really listen to MJ's most recent stuff... I always had a soft spot for him in my heart, and never really cared what people thought about him. I just feel like my "Fanship" has been renewed. :wub: Although... I cannot effing STAND the people who don't know SQUAT about him and continue to talk smack about him. But NOW I know they're actually really curious. :smilerolleyes: His true fans will keep his legacy alive and meet him in Heaven one day. The rest of the fucktard-wannabes can "Beat It." :D

Last edited:
i hate facebook. im not that vain as to actually have a facebook page and i deffo would never join any groups

I'm ambivalent about this.
I want him to be shared and enjoyed by everyone, but at the same time, i don't want him to be too available. This is only being said on a personal level though, b ecause as an artist they want anyone, as many people as possible to buy their records.
So i guess im saying that i can't stop the records being sold but i can accept who is genuine and who isn't.

Back