"A Truth Untold" GOES LIVE. Book publication aimed to present the truth about the Cascio songs.

Update:

Well that’s a wrap on our first full week on Kickstarter. Congratulations and thank you to everyone that has supported us so far! We’ve just passed the $8k mark and we couldn’t have done it without you - our 90 incredible backers!

For your information: We've just updated the project description on our Kickstarter page. Many people have been asking whether or not the book will talk about things other than the controversy surrounding the ‘Michael’ album and the authenticity of certain songs.
The answer is yes, it will. Check out what we just added to our Kickstarter page:

"To put all the posthumous controversy into context, the book will also detail Michael Jackson's final three years in the recording studio, sharing captivating and heartwarming recollections from many of his collaborators from during that period. The reader will be introduced to the genius and perfectionism of the greatest recording artist of all time, and will be left with an overwhelming appreciation for his dedication to his craft."

With 28 days to go, we remain on track to be successfully funded. But remember, maintaining the momentum is vital! We still need to raise a further $32,000 to reach our $40,000 funding goal. If we don’t raise $40,000 we will not receive a cent, and you will not be charged for your pledge. Those are the rules of Kickstarter. So it’s important that we do everything we can to reach our goal!

As per our last update: If you’re wondering how YOU can help us maintain the momentum, the answer is simple: Spread the word as far and wide as you can! We’re relying on our community of supporters to get behind us and share the project link with as many people as possible. With 90 of you now on board, our scope for backer-promo is huge! to your network of family, friends, colleages and associates and encourage them to

Thank you all once again!
Regards,
Dan, Ashley, Damien & James
The ‘A Truth Untold’ Team

Re: "A Truth Untold" GOES LIVE. Book publication aimed to present the truth about the Cascio songs.

This article comes from mXNews, it's a free newspaper, dated Tuesday, November 12 2013

Aussie Cynic

HOPING TO WRITE A THRILLER

By Lachlan Hastings

Two Australians are among a group of Michael Jackson fans setting out to prove claims that three songs released after the King of Pop's death were performed by a ring-in.

One of them, Gold Coast resident Damien Shields, 25, told mX today that he intended to write a "tell-all" book following the investigations.

He said the persistent rumours surfaced in 2010 that the songs Breaking Bad, Monster and Keep Your Head Up were vocalised by an imposter, and they continue to circulate today.

Shields said vocals on the three songs, from the Michael album sounded nothing like Jackson.

"We (fans) always felt that the music was one thing no one could criticise Michael Jackson about," he said.

"That's what made him the most successful entertainer in history, the fact he didn't put bad music out."

"And then for this music that sounded nothing like him to come out after his passing in very controversial circumstances against the wishes of his family.....we felt it was kind of a heinous attack against his artistic integrity."

Shields who describes himself as an investigative journalist, said he had quit his job at a marketing firm to focus on the project.

"It's basically a labour of love for Michael Jackson and a quest to discover the truth," he said.

Shields said the group had raised $6000 of the $40,000 needed to complete the investigation, including hiring a "professional forensic musicologist."

Sony Music has denied the claims.

BTW this is what the newspaper had on it's front page:

NOVEL IDEA AUSSIE ***** FANS HOPE TO WRITE A THRILLER. page 6

I wonder if Damien is happy with that headline, because I was not!!!!

Re: "A Truth Untold" GOES LIVE. Book publication aimed to present the truth about the Cascio songs.

yes that headline is not nice but I don't think anyone can blame ATU for the media's headline choices.

morinen;3930004 said:
Let me say here why I think this project is important even if it doesn’t contain comments from Sony, the Estate or Cascios.

It may be true that today such a book would be purchased mostly by hardcore fans who already have an opinion on the Cascio songs. It may be true that it won’t make a huge impact on the general public. But this book is not only for today. Because Michael’s legacy is not a matter of today, it will last for centuries.

There was a writer in my home country, named Michael Sholokhov, who wrote famous novel “And Quiet Flows the Don” in 1920s. A controversy ensued whether he was the real author, and the debate is still ongoing. Sholokhov is long gone, everyone who had anything to do with that work is long gone, but today, a century later, people are still debating.

I think we all would not wish something like this for MJ’s legacy, but unfortunately, from the way things look, there is a real possibility that the Cascio issue will never be officially resolved. There is a possibility that this controversy will last for decades.

Now let’s imagine what will remain 50 or 70 years later. All the live witnesses will be gone, their twitter and facebook pages will likely be gone, many of the media articles covering the issue will be gone, today’s fanboards will be gone. How will the next generation know what went down? How will they judge the situation with those songs? By word of mouth and from bits and pieces that miraculously survived somewhere on the internet? A book is something that will last and remain structured. A book is something that interested fans and researchers will always be able to find in a library or in a second-hand store.

If fans can’t get this situation resolved, in my opinion, the next best thing they can do is document the accounts of witnesses while they are still available first-hand, talk to as many of them as possible, have as detailed conversations as possible. Record as much of it as possible for the next generation to rely on. And from this perspective, I commend the ATU team for their civil approach to the issue and trying to reach out to both sides.

I support all factual books written about Michael’s life - even if they are one-sided - for the same reason. He is a historic persona of global significance, and many aspects of his personality are yet to be re-discovered and appreciated. Not many people may be interested in his biography or late art today, but it’s important to document it diligently for those who will come after them. Because the people who witnessed it all will not be around forever. The facts about Michael – in all aspects of his life and work – deserve to be on the record.

Agreed!

The bolded section explains why this information must be documented in book form and not simply on a blog or such.

If this team had the support of a publishing house, Kickstarter would not be needed. Publishing houses have supported many horrendous biographies about Michael. Unfortunately, a book about Michael's musical legacy being compromised after his passing may not have been of interest to these houses.

Last edited:
Pentum;3930154 said:
Update:

Well that’s a wrap on our first full week on Kickstarter. Congratulations and thank you to everyone that has supported us so far! We’ve just passed the $8k mark and we couldn’t have done it without you - our 90 incredible backers!
For your information: We've just updated the project description on our Kickstarter page. Many people have been asking whether or not the book will talk about things other than the controversy surrounding the ‘Michael’ album and the authenticity of certain songs.
The answer is yes, it will. Check out what we just added to our Kickstarter page:
"To put all the posthumous controversy into context, the book will also detail Michael Jackson's final three years in the recording studio, sharing captivating and heartwarming recollections from many of his collaborators from during that period. The reader will be introduced to the genius and perfectionism of the greatest recording artist of all time, and will be left with an overwhelming appreciation for his dedication to his craft."
With 28 days to go, we remain on track to be successfully funded. But remember, maintaining the momentum is vital! We still need to raise a further $32,000 to reach our $40,000 funding goal. If we don’t raise $40,000 we will not receive a cent, and you will not be charged for your pledge. Those are the rules of Kickstarter. So it’s important that we do everything we can to reach our goal!
As per our last update: If you’re wondering how YOU can help us maintain the momentum, the answer is simple: Spread the word as far and wide as you can! We’re relying on our community of supporters to get behind us and share the project link with as many people as possible. With 90 of you now on board, our scope for backer-promo is huge! Simply copy and paste this link to your network of family, friends, colleages and associates and encourage them to get behind us in any way they can![/B]
Thank you all once again!
Regards,
Dan, Ashley, Damien & James
The ‘A Truth Untold’ Team

Did I not say no links, I take it you want this tread removed?

MJ loved controversy - he created it on many occasions for attention and to add to his mystery. Maybe I have a somewhat different view of all this but I have a hunch he'd rather like this ongoing drama!

MJ loved controversy - he created it on many occasions for attention and to add to his mystery. Maybe I have a somewhat different view of all this but I have a hunch he'd rather like this ongoing drama!
Yes, you have a different view than me..;D

Teddy Riley also stated that in his Oprah interview (in an attempt to defend himself).

There's controversy and then there's controversy.

You give me the name of one artist who would like other singers to replace him on his own album (living or after death).

Every artist is proud of his art and so was Michael.

I have to be honest here. I never thought I'd see so much of this one-sided nature and bias attitude from some of the higher ups on this site.

Let me shut up though.

*big sigh* >
gif-jail-sigh-gif.gif

I do not see this Kickstarter initiative as taking advantage of fans either. If these tracks are proven to not be authentic in the future, it means fans were already taken advantage of. What will fans do then?

Of course not. They are reinforcing what you already believe to be true. ;)

But you're getting ahead of yourself with that last part. What's being questioned here is exactly how this group plans to prove their apparent thesis.

Last edited:

I wish the fan coomunity could at least once put aside their idle criticism of other fans' initiatives. If you don't want to support something, fine, don't, but is it really necessary to speculate about taking advantage of other fans or state your opinion about what other fans should and should not do? Other fans can think for themselves, thank you very much. Like every charity project, like every "flowers" project, this is a personal decision of every one of us. It's kind of unethical to tell other people where they should or should not put their money.

Hmm. Since when does discussing and yes, even questioning something = telling other fans what to do?

If a person or group is going to hold themselves up as an arbiter of truth, well then they themselves should be able to withstand scrutiny aimed their way.

Of course not. They are reinforcing what you already believe to be true. ;)

Incorrect again. The Kickstarter initiative is not taking advantage. If the goal amount is not reached, no monies will exchange hands. If the goal is reached and the monies are not used for the purposes stated then, and only then, will those who contributed will be taken advantage of.

But you're getting ahead of yourself with that last part. What's being questioned here is exactly how this group plans to prove their apparent thesis.

You may be correct here however, it is a legitimate question I posed. Some fans do not see a purpose in even attempting to prove the songs are not authentic as they were distributed via the CD three years ago. That distance of time may have lessened the wound for some and may make some feel there is no value in this pursuit however, it is not so for others.

Last edited:

Admin Note: Thread cleaned Please don't lead this into a debate of the authenticity of the Cascio tracks in this thread. We already have a debate/discussion thread for that topic.

Incorrect again. The Kickstarter initiative is not taking advantage. If the goal amount is not reached, no monies will exchange hands. If the goal is reached and the monies are not used for the purposes stated then, and only then, will those who contributed will be taken advantage of.

And then it's too late. Exactly the purpose of asking pointed questions now.

You may be correct here however, it is a legitimate question I posed. Some fans do not see a purpose in even attempting to prove the songs are not authentic as they were distributed via the CD three years ago. That distance of time may have lessened the wound for some and may make some feel there is no value in this pursuit however, it is not so for others.

I dont get a sense it's time and distance. It's the details on HOW they plan to accomplish the mission that is my focus. I can only speak for myself, 3 years or 30 won't change things for me as I always want to know the truth in all things. I'm open to either possibility here. I simply need more than good intentions.

Last edited:

Anyway, I am disappointed with the pleding progress so far. Only 87 backers, yet there are million of MJ fans. We haven't reached 8k yet, still got 32k to go.

Backers
$ 11.549

I think this gives a glimmer. I think this is a fairly small number of supporters. Millions of Michael Jackson fans, but obviously not millions, which are intrested in this book. They will probably get together the $ 40,000, but the number of supporters seems low and it is a impression about the number of people who are intrested on such a book, if it is ever released.
It would be far more impressive if there were many supporters with small amounts. But it's the other way around. 4 gave $900 or more, 39 gave $100 or more.

Backers
$ 11.549

I think this gives a glimmer. I think this is a fairly small number of supporters. Millions of Michael Jackson fans, but obviously not millions, which are intrested in this book. They will probably get together the $ 40,000, but the number of supporters seems low and it is a impression about the number of people who are intrested on such a book, if it is ever released.
It would be far more impressive if there were many supporters with small amounts. But it's the other way around. 4 gave $900 or more, 39 gave $100 or more.
Yeah, so maybe you can help us do something about it? :) Share around...

As for Ivy: I am pretty sure you are one of the MJ fans who buys almost every book, right? This book is also going in details on MJs final years in the recording studio. I assume this is something you would have bought. You were pretty quick to get Frank's book

Never mind..

Last edited:

KBaZIfW.jpg

:kickass:

Yeah, so maybe you can help us do something about it? :) Share around...

As for Ivy: I am pretty sure you are one of the MJ fans who buys almost every book, right? This book is also going in details on MJs final years in the recording studio. I assume this is something you would have bought. You were pretty quick to get Frank's book

One more link thread is deleted.

I think this is a fairly small number of supporters. Millions of Michael Jackson fans, but obviously not millions, which are intrested in this book. They will probably get together the $ 40,000, but the number of supporters seems low and it is a impression about the number of people who are intrested on such a book, if it is ever released.

from that perspective it will be a reality check. the claim have been that majority of the MJ fans were against these songs. So you would expect a large number of supporters. To me the number of supporters seem low as well and that's something to consider as well.

Yes I most of the times I do but it's not enough for me to support a book before it is written. I need more information and I'm not the only one. I have seen quite anti-Cascio songs people ask similar questions as I do and there's still no answers provided. (even no significant info on Damien's blogpost). Actually the more they explain the more confusing it gets for me. for example is this a book that would tell the truth about Cascio songs or this is a book that would cover 2006-2009 and Cascio songs will just be a topic in it? Anyway as I said before I'll consider buying the book after it is released based on the reviews.

Virre;3930638 said:
Some off topic here though, but I honestly feel I´m to afraid to say anything regarding many topics at the moment. It seem so easy to get banned. :( and it´s a lot talk about being biased and that you should not be, and that talk comes from some that are clearly biased when it comes to a few things. *runs and hide*

I'll answer this on the thread:

actually it is quite hard to get banned around here. Banning is the last resort in moderation and happens when there were previous warnings that wasn't listened. So I wouldn't be that scared.

As for opinions, obviously everyone has different opinions and everyone has a bias one way or another. As long as you are respectful to others and staff, there's no reason to be afraid to express whatever you think. In other words for example you can disagree with every single word that I write and you won't get banned. However if you start name calling me - no respect- only then you will be under the risk of banning. Also give the staff here a little more credit, yes none of us are perfect, yes there are people that we don't see eye to eye with, yes there are people we don't like and there are people who doesn't like us but we are more than capable to not to turn moderation into a personal thing.

There's an admin scouting this thread to see if anyone crosses the line of debating the authenticity.

Admin Note: Thread cleaned Please don't lead this thread into a debate of the authenticity of the Cascio tracks in this thread. We already have a debate/discussion thread for that topic.

And there's an owner of the forum scouting this thread to see if anyone posts a link to the kickstarter or damiens blog

Did I not say no links, I take it you want this tread removed?

One more link thread is deleted.
(I didn't even post any links in the post the owner quoted here).

I am officially out of this thread.

There's an admin scouting this thread to see if anyone crosses the line of debating the authenticity.

And there's an owner of the forum scouting this thread to see if anyone posts a link to the kickstarter or damiens blog

(I didn't even post any links in the post the owner quoted here).

I am officially out of this thread.

You didnt post a link to his new blog that has the kick starter ripp off links all over it no (each of your replies I removed links), go cry wolf in another thread then, three damn times I said no links, last chance for this thread to stay as discussion - AGAIN NO LINKS!!!!!

And for the record I'm not just scouring for links I am reading with interest so I don't appreciate your put down. ok!

Krizkil, it is natural to ask questions. I would have loved to seen authors who penned horrific biographies on Michael, that were loose on facts and high on fabrications, held accountable before the books were published. Instead, demands for accountability happened after publication. In this instance, there is a demand that the public have complete transparency to the compiling phase which I have never seen done before.

I have not seen that many questions about how the monies would be spent so I do not believe that is the primary concern. The major complaint I have seen is if certain parties will be interviewed for this book. That fear should be put to rest as any party who is resistant will most likely have their legal representatives handle it.

I do believe the distance of time and ignorance of what truly effects Michael's musical legacy has caused some fans to not be concerned with this situation and it is unfortunate. Fans are individuals and they all view what constitutes Michael’s full legacy individually as well. I personally see these songs as damaging Michael’s musical legacy. Others feel Michael’s Vanity Fair cover not being number one is damaging to his full legacy. Neither view is incorrect however; some see more value in one issue over another.

I truly want to see this book released and I am glad this group did not let this issue die only because others do not see value in it or prefer this issue not be exposed to the public.

Admin Note: To clarify, No discussion of authenticity and no links leading to ATU solicitation is stated upfront in this thread. So all are aware before they post in the thread. All threads are monitored by staff on the board to make sure guideline are followed. This thread will be no different. All are welcome to post information and discuss your support or non support in this thread. Please follow the rules / guidelines when posting.

Anyway.. as soon as I saw they wanted money from fans to publish a book, it felt all William Wagener over the whole thing, very off putting.

If I pay for this, how do I know that I won't end up with a slight, 150-page book that is 80 % recycled stuff that all die-hard fans know, 10 % laudatory comments about how great MJ was, 5 % anti-Cascio sentiment from a few "celebrity" interviewees, and 5 % unconclusive results from an agenda-driven forensic test?

the book will also detail Michael Jackson's final three years in the recording studio, sharing captivating and heartwarming recollections from many of his collaborators from during that period. The reader will be introduced to the genius and perfectionism of the greatest recording artist of all time, and will be left with an overwhelming appreciation for his dedication to his craft.

This, on itself, is invaluable.

Back