Anyone else not excited, rather sad about This Is It movie?

Thanks Pascal. It's a moral dilemma for me. I need to be able to have some positivity in my life, and I'm finding it difficult. Trying to make this decision isn't helping. I'll keep going around in circles; hopefully I can resolve it one way or the other soon.

I think you should go and see the movie!

No way there are fans to blame for what happened! So it's not fair if you do make yourself suffer. Also you are right, if you go and watch the movie to celebrate him then you just have a good reason.

AEG, Sony and alikes will always make profit, if not from us then from others.

Don't get me wrong, I do think a boycott makes sense! I will not go and see the movie in the theatre. But I do not suffer. And my good reason is that I've seen Michael alive live on stage several times. A movie is nothing compared to that and I don't feel any need.

Just this is still the time of grief, sorrow, deep pain cuz of a huge loss every MJfan is going through... we will all cope with it different ways... but there's no sense in making one of us suffer even more.

It is ok for those who chose to watch the movie for the right good reasons!
And it's as much ok for those of us who chose to not watch the movie for the right good reasons!
Life is not only black and white, sometimes there's not really only one right and one wrong decision.

But it is not ok to make a fan suffer even more in these times! You guys need to love yourself and make yourself happy! Do not be that hard to yourself, Michael would never ask you for that, he would want each and everyone of us to be happy and enjoy life!!!

Go and watch the movie with no feelings of guilt! You have no part in Michaels passing! Go and celebrate the man!

^ Thanks so much Mechi.

I wonder, are all the people who are boycotting this film folks who have seen MJ perform live? Hmm.

Part of me is very excited, but I know I would find seeing the movie painful besides whether I feel I'm lining the pockets of contributors to MJ's death. Simply because MJ was killed, and is no longer with us here. It's hard to enjoy his work without him here to see the reaction to it.

i have seen MJ in concert yes but thats not why i don't want to see the film

^^ same. I have no problem with people seeing it, I don't think a boycott is necessarry - because I don't think any less of a person who wants to see it, that's their choice. We all have different feelings about the film, as we do about Michael's death.

Just how I feel I guess.

I would rather see this footage at a tribute night, like next June, instead of some concert of celebrities singing MJ songs. To me, that would mean more, be an actual tribute to what he created.

Don't get me wrong ppl! I dislike AEG with a passion for how their ppl were behaving and are still behaving since Michaels death. To me AEG plays a responsible role leading to his death. So did Sony... to me.

And they will not get my money.

Still then again I'm not naive enough to think they will not make a good share of money anyways. Although to me it's important why I'm doing what I personally am doing. If I do not go then that is already a change for good. If they do not get my money that is already a change for good to me!

But what I tried to point out is simply, that every single fan to me is way more important than AEG will ever have a role in my life. So if a fan suffers, then it's simply that what's most important for me to change.

That I've seen Michael life on stage kind of often compared to others... that's to me just one reason why it's really easy for me to stay away from that movie.

i am. i really don't think i'll watch this ... maybe in the years to come but not now anyway...

i really wanna see this movie. whether they make profit of it or not.
it would have been the first time ever for me to see him live performing :(
so i just HAVE to watch it.. although it will become quite embarrassing lol

I understand everyone's feelings because I feel all of the same ways including feeling like a "hypocrite" plus the feeling of, "can't wait to see the movie", because afterall, who doesn't want to see Michael - period, no matter what, when, where, why or how. All of that is the easy part.

What bothers me is:

MJ has had, arguably, the largest and most loyal, and most highly residual fan following in the history of the world of pop stars, by residual I mean gaining new fans every day who were not perhaps even born when he recorded or performed and this is guaranteed to be probably the most successful movie since Woodstock of 1970 and yes, it is a no brainer they are cashing in ... but that by itself wouldn't bother me at least as much as this ..

1) As soon as the pop star was gone, everyone with a heart, began mourning the loss of the human's life, the human known as the pop star Michael Jackson - everyone except AEG - who kept their conversations on how gung-ho MJ was, and raring to perform (or at least I never saw a statement of compassion from the owner of AEG, if someone else did let me know - and Mr. Anshuntz, if you're reading this and you therefore get (another) "bright idea" and decide to release a statement now, just know that its too late for that now so forget it)

2) If that hasn't been discompassionate enough - they began marketing this thing before MJ was even given a proper burial. Yes, they showed the full trailer afterwards, but they wasted no time from the get-go and that was extremely poor taste, bad manners, and some hell of a gall, with as much pain as people were in.

3) Given the fact that nothing has been clearly resolved concerning the events (as so many have sad, no responsibility is clarified) it is also in extremely poor taste for them to be so gung ho to market this as someone said, "like a must-see movie"

4) I have no problem with the concept of profit, afterall, we live in a free enterprise economy - the problem I have is that it seems possible that the very people who possibly wanted Michael gone from this earth, will be the ones to profit from his most loyal fan following, the most.

5) I realize this movie will sell to the average entertainment seeker, but it hurts to think they marketed this movie with fans in mind as well, while fans are still aching so badly in so many ways...

6) This all is so disturbing ... they could have waited a respectable amount of time to release this movie. That has been stated I know, but to me, it says it all so can't be emphasized enough.

7) Someone earlier said that Mrs. Jackson approved this movie -
In what sense do we mean 'approve'? Not knowing the legal remifications of what she actually has to deal with, that imho could mean any number of things.

Does anyone know where we can find the reference that Mrs. Katherine Jackson approved this movie?

I am 100% for MJ fans boycotting this movie in whatever form that takes. We may have to create various ways of doing this so that everybody (especially us) end up happy. Many of us will go to this movie, period so the "boycott" must take on a creative form. I do feel it would have to be done in a creative and realistic way.

The rest of the world may blindly "buy" into it for entertainment value alone, but MJ fans can ban together and keep AEG from "using" us, Michael's most loyal fans, to simply line their pockets.

as Michael Jackson's fans, we are the meat and potatoes of all the money made on this movie for years to come -

at the same time that it makes us vulnerable,

that also

is our INHERENT POWER

these are merely reminders

so for now, I'm feeling that we have to be careful and realize that Michael always said, "the bigger the star, the bigger the target"

well, the same is true now, in the case of us, his legacy that we are (a huge part of),

The bigger the star's fan base - the bigger the company's "TARGET MARKET"

whatever we do, whether we see the movie or not, we can't afford to do it ignorant

We may not be able or wiling to "boycott" PER SE - but - YOU CANNOT TELL ME MJ's fans can't do anything - that I don't believe. . . we just have to keep our thinking caps on. . . and our true love for MJ alive in our hearts, and ignore as many commercials as humanly possible. JMHO as usual..,

p.s. remember: Mr. Anshuntz (AEG) o w n s every movie theatre this movie will be shown in.

edit: in the U.S. (and that is as far as we know)

Last edited:
^^ Good posts, lots of good points.

May I add there is certain media over here in Australia a little "excited about this event", just as they were seemingly "excited" about his death. When I say excited about his death, these are the people that gave him grief when he was alive, then as soon as he died, put so much coverage on even saying how sad it was, (despite still continued to use the "*****" comments etc)...and the whole time just thinking "ratings, ratings, ratings". Even with the memorial, it seemed about ratings to me.

Now it's been 3 months, they don't care anymore about Michael the person (as they made it out that they did after he died). And treat this movie as a scoop, not as a tribute which it should be. The media are so two faced.

"p.s. remember: Mr. Anshuntz (AEG) o w n s every movie theatre this movie will be shown in. "

I didn't know that...interesting...

This is just one article about the owner of AEG (Phillip Anschuntz) and I should have added, 'in the U.S.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A808-2004Nov20?language=printer
He is the largest stakeholder in Regal Entertainment Group, the nation's largest movie exhibition chain with 18 Washington area theaters and 550 nationwide, and Staples Center in Los Angeles.
And that doesn't mean he hasn't struck deals to profit world-wide, although that's pure speculation, but when you read his bio you see he is a profit GURU.

Not to even mention his interest in oil. Remember Dick Gregory said that he has documents relating to the underground of Neverland and that is more oil under that soil than there is in Kuwait!

4:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-l5U1g4Bz4

Last edited:
I have tickets to see it...and I actually feel kinda nervous about it. Can't imagine what kinda state I'm gonna be on the day. :(

I do feel sad about it. At first I was really excited about seeing the film. Now I'm having second thoughts. The problem is he has only been gone 3 months. So maybe it's just a little too soon. Plus the circumstances under which Michael left us are still suspect. We don't really know who is involved and what the outcome will be. Another thing, I feel dirty putting money into the hands of Sony and AEG for this film. I know that 90% will go to the estate. However, something just doesn't feel right about it. Buying his old music is one thing. I feel that if I do see this film, this is actually it. This is his final ANYTHING. I'm not ready to let go of him just yet. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way. :(

MJ has had, arguably, the largest and most loyal, and most highly residual fan following in the history of the world of pop stars, by residual I mean gaining new fans every day who were not perhaps even born when he recorded or performed and this is guaranteed to be probably the most successful movie since Woodstock of 1970 and yes, it is a no brainer they are cashing in ... but that by itself wouldn't bother me at least as much as this ..

1) As soon as the pop star was gone, everyone with a heart, began mourning the loss of the human's life, the human known as the pop star Michael Jackson - everyone except AEG - who kept their conversations on how gung-ho MJ was, and raring to perform (or at least I never saw a statement of compassion from the owner of AEG, if someone else did let me know - and Mr. Anshuntz, if you're reading this and you therefore get (another) "bright idea" and decide to release a statement now, just know that its too late for that now so forget it)

2) If that hasn't been discompassionate enough - they began marketing this thing before MJ was even given a proper burial. Yes, they showed the full trailer afterwards, but they wasted no time from the get-go and that was extremely poor taste, bad manners, and some hell of a gall, with as much pain as people were in.

3) Given the fact that nothing has been clearly resolved concerning the events (as so many have sad, no responsibility is clarified) it is also in extremely poor taste for them to be so gung ho to market this as someone said, "like a must-see movie"

6) This all is so disturbing ... they could have waited a respectable amount of time to release this movie. That has been stated I know, but to me, it says it all so can't be emphasized enough.
I agree the timing of everything , they couldn't wait to rush this movie out

I do feel sad about it. At first I was really excited about seeing the film. Now I'm having second thoughts. The problem is he has only been gone 3 months. So maybe it's just a little too soon. Plus the circumstances under which Michael left us are still suspect. We don't really know who is involved and what the outcome will be. Another thing, I feel dirty putting money into the hands of Sony and AEG for this film. I know that 90% will go to the estate. However, something just doesn't feel right about it. Buying his old music is one thing. I feel that if I do see this film, this is actually it. This is his final ANYTHING. I'm not ready to let go of him just yet. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way. :(

It's funny that you mentioned that this is his final anything, I never thought about it that way. But I guess it is true - and I don't know about "celebrating" that, like it's being promoted as.

You're not the only one, I don't want to let go yet either :cry:

This is so sad, but my hearts just saying see it, enjoy it, it is his last anything, the shows he was doing for us, and we have to see what would have been!
Im gong to try and forget my head and the circumstances of his death, and everything bad and sad about this movie, and just try to enjoy it, his last gift to us, as hard as things maybe to put to the back of my mind ! I just want to see his last gestures of joy and to hear him sing, and for him just to make my smile!

I just bought my ticket and now I'm crying.

I will try to enjoy this. I think MJ would have wanted us to enjoy this.

It's hard.

You Guys what the Honest truth!. Well I am half excited and half sad. Part of me wants to go and see it but I know I will be sad at the same time, I only doing this just for MJ, but it just doesn't feel right! MJ Shouldn't be dead he should be in London doing his shows , showing thw world his stuff not lying in some golden casket(Sorry had to put it that way), I for one was looking forward to seeing some of his shows on Youtube and meeting up with MJ Fans online. So in away this should not be a movie this should should be MJ Doing his concerts:(

I don't know either and its baffling, confusing, annoying, depressing and did I say baffling? I guess just in thinking out loud here, personally, here is what I currently am wishing we could or would do and I'd like to know what anyone thinks:

The movie is scheduled to be out for 2 weeks. In my opinion that is a 'test' period to see how well the movie does. I feel that just as with the 10/50 concert situation, if this movie does surprisingly well, they will let it run into infinity, and why not if AEG owns the movie houses.

So, MJ fans who either already have tickets, or already have strong desires/plans, to see this movie could go to see it the first DAY or TWO - then immediately let other fans know ALL about the movie, almost to the point of making transcripts.

At least that could minimize the amount of fans who will need to have their curiosity satisfied thereby reducing the numbers of fans who will attend an actual showing. If fans agreed to this all across the fan boards, we could make a difference in the profits AEG projects to make.

That will be 1 or 2 less dollars in AEG's pockets. I have been feeling a little torn, worrying about the money it may also reduce from MJ's estate, but I don't believe the estate is hurting for money at this point!

I realize I know not the details of what all is involved, this is me going by my feelings about things. I just wanted to say that because I cautiously do not want to in any way "hurt" MJ by trying to think of protecting him.

An opposite way of looking at it:

If Michael was planning to make this film to begin with, to be released on DVD, then his desire would be for us to support it.

The only thing about that is, I don't believe that when Michael agreed to do the DVD, he was planning on AEG plotting his demise.

Another problem is this is only theory and nobody knows for a fact whether AEG had anything to do with it or not, just because they were paying the doctor, claiming MJ insisted on this doctor he'd only known three years, trusting him to put him into a potentially lethal sleep every night, living in a house AEG was paying the rent on, waking up from 10 concerts to 50, AEG claiming Michael wanted to compete with Prince when MJ always said he only competes with himself, claiming MJ wanted to be in the Guiness book for these record number of attendances when he himself hadn't planned on but 10 concerts initially, AEG looking ahead 3 years when MJ said in Ebony he didn't want to spend the next decade of his life touring, then the fans who saw him saying he didn't look right ...

...it all looks very suspicious and for all we know could conceivably be part of the reason AEG is rushing this project out so fast ...

before they can get caught up in a vortex of suspicion? I don't know. I just know that I believe it might be best if we could err on the side of caution and not go great guns with lining AEG's pockets because that is clearly what they care about.

The fact that they had a ticket lottery for the memorial presented at their Staple Center where MJ was rehearsing for a concert series that his fans had sold out, without so much as acknowledging MJ's fans per se, and without so much as acknowledging MJ's departure with heartfelt sentiments just buggs me personally. On top of that advertising this thing so widely and so aggressively while MJ's fans are still baffled and bewildered about what happened to him! Not to mention grieving.

The estate is going to make it hand over fist from the music sales as it is and should be just find imho, and there's no telling what partnership deals haven't been struck between AEG and Sony... so...I don't know either wendyjane ... I just think we need to be mindful.

All I know is that if AEG had anything to do with wanting Michael gone we don't want to give them anymore than we have to, and we don't want to give them any of what they expect we will.

We are "IT". MJ fans. We are "IT" so we do need to be mindful and not subject ourselves to reacting to "commercials", which is what they seem to have reduced MJ to imho.

Last edited:
i wont be going to see it simply because of these companys involved in bringing it to the screen, and making money again off mjs back, and i couldnt get excited about a scam which has certainly paid off for certain people.
i would watch it and see other things,things that happened behind the scenes.
if you can watch the movie and enjoy then thats good but i cant.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's out in time for Xmas on dvd.

Run it for strictly two weeks at the cinema - people rush to see = $$$
Release DVD in time for Xmas = $$$

I think that's what they are thinking - sucks

It's become less exciting and more depressing to me :cry:

I understand everyone's feelings because I feel all of the same ways including feeling like a "hypocrite" plus the feeling of, "can't wait to see the movie", because afterall, who doesn't want to see Michael - period, no matter what, when, where, why or how. All of that is the easy part.

5) I realize this movie will sell to the average entertainment seeker, but it hurts to think they marketed this movie with fans in mind as well, while fans are still aching so badly in so many ways...

so for now, I'm feeling that we have to be careful and realize that Michael always said, "the bigger the star, the bigger the target"

p.s. remember: Mr. Anshuntz (AEG) o w n s every movie theatre this movie will be shown in.

edit: in the U.S. (and that is as far as we know)

:huggy: I agree so strongly with all of what you said, especially the parts I have quoted from you SOS :hug:

I actually said that in another thread, he's barely buried and there is a film, and it's a blockbuster that they managed to come up with very very quickly.

It has all moved too quickly :cry: I can't bear to see it :cry:

( and I didn't know that guy owns all the cinemas it will be shown in...)

I am very very sad about everything my heart is totaly broken :cry:just had enough of it all ,just feels like the when the tickets went on sale all over again :boohoo: x

I know hun :huggy: I don't actually think I will ever be able to get tickets on ticketmaster ever again without feeling ill ( I had an email about the exhibition in london and, lo and behold the link took me to the ticketmaster page...I felt so bad) :cry:

all this hoopla for tickets just reminds me of when I got mine for the shows and it's horrible, so I know where you're coming from :better:

i just dont kno what to do :(

sweetie, you do what feels right for you :huggy: there is no right or wrong way about this. I am really truly happy for people who will enjoy this film, because I wish it were me, but I can't...my head says 'go see it' but my heart says 'no, it's too painful' :cry:

so if you want to see it, that's great, but if you don't go then it's cool too. Think from the heart what's best for you. :huggy:

I don't know either and its baffling, confusing, annoying, depressing and did I say baffling? I guess just in thinking out loud here, personally, here is what I currently am wishing we could or would do and I'd like to know what anyone thinks:

The movie is scheduled to be out for 2 weeks. In my opinion that is a 'test' period to see how well the movie does. I feel that just as with the 10/50 concert situation, if this movie does surprisingly well, they will let it run into infinity, and why not if AEG owns the movie houses.

So, MJ fans who either already have tickets, or already have strong desires/plans, to see this movie could go to see it the first DAY or TWO - then immediately let other fans know ALL about the movie, almost to the point of making transcripts.

At least that could minimize the amount of fans who will need to have their curiosity satisfied thereby reducing the numbers of fans who will attend an actual showing. If fans agreed to this all across the fan boards, we could make a difference in the profits AEG projects to make.

That will be 1 or 2 less dollars in AEG's pockets. I have been feeling a little torn, worrying about the money it may also reduce from MJ's estate, but I don't believe the estate is hurting for money at this point!

I realize I know not the details of what all is involved, this is me going by my feelings about things. I just wanted to say that because I cautiously do not want to in any way "hurt" MJ by trying to think of protecting him.

An opposite way of looking at it:

If Michael was planning to make this film to begin with, to be released on DVD, then his desire would be for us to support it.

The only thing about that is, I don't believe that when Michael agreed to do the DVD, he was planning on AEG plotting his demise.

Another problem is this is only theory and nobody knows for a fact whether AEG had anything to do with it or not, just because they were paying the doctor, claiming MJ insisted on this doctor he'd only known three years, trusting him to put him into a potentially lethal sleep every night, living in a house AEG was paying the rent on, waking up from 10 concerts to 50, AEG claiming Michael wanted to compete with Prince when MJ always said he only competes with himself, claiming MJ wanted to be in the Guiness book for these record number of attendances when he himself hadn't planned on but 10 concerts initially, AEG looking ahead 3 years when MJ said in Ebony he didn't want to spend the next decade of his life touring, then the fans who saw him saying he didn't look right ...

...it all looks very suspicious and for all we know could conceivably be part of the reason AEG is rushing this project out so fast ...

before they can get caught up in a vortex of suspicion? I don't know. I just know that I believe it might be best if we could err on the side of caution and not go great guns with lining AEG's pockets because that is clearly what they care about.

The fact that they had a ticket lottery for the memorial presented at their Staple Center where MJ was rehearsing for a concert series that his fans had sold out, without so much as acknowledging MJ's fans per se, and without so much as acknowledging MJ's departure with heartfelt sentiments just buggs me personally. On top of that advertising this thing so widely and so aggressively while MJ's fans are still baffled and bewildered about what happened to him! Not to mention grieving.

The estate is going to make it hand over fist from the music sales as it is and should be just find imho, and there's no telling what partnership deals haven't been struck between AEG and Sony... so...I don't know either wendyjane ... I just think we need to be mindful.

All I know is that if AEG had anything to do with wanting Michael gone we don't want to give them anymore than we have to, and we don't want to give them any of what they expect we will.

We are "IT". MJ fans. We are "IT" so we do need to be mindful and not subject ourselves to reacting to "commercials", which is what they seem to have reduced MJ to imho.

I agree

I am not excited this actually made me cry today and i am not sure if i will be able to go and see this. I really want to but i will probably just end up crying while watching I'd get very emotional and just break down. But then apart of me feels like i have to go and see it so i don't know but this does hurt and i am in no way excited.

.............Will be very hard to watch,thats for sure,but I got trough alot already so I will be gettin trough this aswell even cryin my eyes out:no::yes:

Honestly I wish for a lot of ppl here to watch this movie. And I hope it will make them cry. Some do need this obviously. Pain needs to be lived and not tried to push under the rug or something. I honestly hope watching this movie will be a good working therapy for some here! Sheeeesh there's nothing wrong with crying. We've all lost someone we love tremendously. This is the time to cry our hearts out. If not now with this loss, when do some think tears should roll?! Pain needs to be lived, before some real healing can even start. Stop trying to violate your own feelings everybody. Those feelings are there to protect you... just have faith in yourself and live it. Who cares what others think. Aren't ppl around you supposed to know you the way you are? Just do not lose faith, do have trust, then there will be some healing in the end. Keep the faith!!! Keep michaeling!!!!

Love to everybody!!!!!!!!!

Back