Atheist thread

Re: Athesit Thread version 2 (sorry K.O.S.:p).

I love this video. :D

Interesting thread. And a great video above.^^
I see that its not very active, unlike the other one (for believers only lol). Where are all the infidels? lol
I'm somewhere between agnostic & atheist btw.

Even if I were raised as a beliver I would become atheist by now.
I was surounded by evil as a young child.
If someone who believes in goodnes and wisdom of God can explain to me how can God allow a innocent child to be molested by her own father, how can anyone let innocent and good people die...animals being tortured, killikg each other because of the money ans greed ....destroying this beautiful planet we live on.....children raped by their own parents....
That is one cruel God.
And looking at rich and even more richer churches covered with gold while people are dying of hunger........
????!!!!!
I understand that people believe and I respect that. But...where is the explanation of all the evil not being punished ?

If you ask a question like that someone who believes...you never get an proper answer.
Actually, I love old gothic churches....those are beautiful places to just sit in silence.
I am not a religious person but I swear I care more about those in need than a lot of religious people I know. When I see a poor hungry dog....I feed him.
I saw a man who kicked a stray dog and he just left a church. I really wanted to kick his a** badly.
My grandmother is a strong believer but she did not help me when I literaly had almost nothing to eat. What kind of a religion is that ??!!
My father is a christian but he molested me for years and made a hell out of my life.
Who needs hell ? You have it right here , on Earth.

The thing about religion is that it cherry picks the arguments that work, and ignores or tries to invalidate the arguments that lead, inexorably, to a conclusion which is uncomfortable for some to deal with. I also don't know why science is downplayed so much.

Science never claims to have all the answers. In that respect it is completely honest (if performed ethically), and is the closest representation of truth we can find. Instead of ignoring lines of thought which disprove or cast into doubt currently held theories, science is about actively trying to disprove them! With each failed attempt, the theory is a little stronger, but scientists are always willing to modify them to reflect observation.

We don't know what happens in a black hole singularity. We don't know what happened before the Big Bang. Science is not about pretending to have all the answers - some may see this as a weakness. I'd be suspicious of anyone or thing claiming to have all the answers to the big questions.

Now, in principle there's nothing wrong with religion. However, it must be handled carefully. Giving people comfort and encouraging people to lead better lives is not a bad thing, but not at the expense of indoctrination through fear and/or ignorance. It's led to some of the most appalling acts in human history. It's this kind of ignorance which makes religion so scary to some. Ethics does not have to come from religion. In most cases it is instilled by parents! I've had some pretty weird things said to me by believers - the most recent was on YouTube. I didn't like someone's video and they said I was going to burn in hell for saying it. It's one example. Obviously not representative.

Those religious 'extremists' who completely dismiss evolution, and science in general, miss the comedic irony of science enabling computers and the internet allowing them to propagate their views!

Let me reiterate, religion is not a bad thing in certain contexts. People who adopt a faith once they're old enough to make the decision themselves is fine. Indoctrinating kids that it is the only truth is not. Maintaining that indoctrination through fear and emotional trickey is not.

One last thing, if there is a God who is all powerful (it would have to be to create the universe) - could this God create a rock so heavy, even He could not lift it?

If you ask a question like that someone who believes...you never get an proper answer.
Actually, I love old gothic churches....those are beautiful places to just sit in silence.
I am not a religious person but I swear I care more about those in need than a lot of religious people I know. When I see a poor hungry dog....I feed him.
I saw a man who kicked a stray dog and he just left a church. I really wanted to kick his a** badly.
My grandmother is a strong believer but she did not help me when I literaly had almost nothing to eat. What kind of a religion is that ??!!
My father is a christian but he molested me for years and made a hell out of my life.
Who needs hell ? You have it right here , on Earth.

I'm sorry all those horrible things happened to you :hug: There are not so good people everywhere, regardless of what religion they claim to be :no:

If you pose your questions to believers in a thread for atheists, surely you won't easily find an answer to your questions :)

I'm sorry all those horrible things happened to you :hug: There are not so good people everywhere, regardless of what religion they claim to be :no:

Yes , I know. I never judge people by their religion. I only care if they are honest or not.
I can"t stand the hypocricy in all religions. There are 10 commands, right ?
And they are very good. Why don"t some ppl who so strongly believe live by those commands ?! That is what I don"t get.
Some people take only what is good for them.
Let me be clear....I honestly don"t hate ppl for beliving, of course not.
But there are so many questions that nobody wants to answer.
So many people were killed in the name of someone"s God....so many women were burned in the name of religion...so many wars.
( we have a new religion these days and it"s called - oil . )
This is a sad world.

If you pose your questions to believers in a thread for atheists, surely you won't easily find an answer to your questions :)

That applys to both sides of the coin, if i were to go into the believers thread and ask why God does this and does that I'll more than likely get "God works in Mysterious Ways" answer or something to that extent

That applys to both sides of the coin, if i were to go into the believers thread and ask why God does this and does that I'll more than likely get "God works in Mysterious Ways" answer or something to that extent

Not necessarily true. There are believers who don't accept that explanation, including myself.

Eventhough I am not a religious person...religion allways interested me.
Modern religions were created like a big corporations. Too keep people in control.
I guess it is easier to believe that there is a beautiful place where our loved once are. That I can understand.
But I hate when a religion is messing with every aspect of your life, when it messes with politics. That can never be good.

Why is this thread more about slagging God and religion off then actually discussing atheism?

I think the two are inherently connected. You can't really discuss atheism without mentioning the perceived inaccuracies of religion and God. As long as it's done respectfully, I don't see a problem with that.

I am agnostic, btw :)

I don't have any problem if the majority want to believe in a god; quite the opposite, every one is free to believe in whatever you want. My problem is when many people assume they have the right to tell you how to live based on a religious point of vew trying to imply they're better because they have it/him in their lives and us athiests not.

The fact some us don't have a religion it doesn't mean we don't have values or respect for others. I can say for me I have them and I consider myself tolerant and open-minded.

Have you ever ever wonder why the most innocent creatures in the whole world suffer more (children and animals)? They've never commited any "sin", they don't have any feeling of evil or resenntment in their beings, they're the first victims of greed, segregation, racism, vile and massive murdering. If it existed, why is it permiting all that injustice happen to them, WHY?

This thread is allowed to be on this forum because everyone has different opinions that are allowed to be discussed her. However this thread goes way beyond what is respectful. I find it to be very disgusting. If I went to the Religion thread and slagged off on atheists saying "I can't believe how anyone could believe that way" "they are obviously slow witted" "They obviously are all homosexuals without any kind of moral code" "They are the ones who bring all bad things into the world", etc, etc, etc; some of you would be having a fit (and rightfully so). I really don't care if you are an atheist, do NOT take that as permission for your reverse hatred and bigotry to exist on this board. The thread before was talking about atheistic ideals. It talked respectfully and intelligently about why a person was an atheist, where they could find support for one another, etc. The last page or so ruined everything the thread was about and further illustrated what is wrong with so many threads on this board: The idea that your opinion is the only one and it is the right one. As such, you can say whatever you want, whichever way you want and you cannot be answered in like. I have opinions on things as well that are very strong, but I consider how I say things because I have too much respect for the other people of the board. I wish some of you would extend the same courtesy.

This is a final warning for this thread. If you want it to stay open, watch your tone and watch your disrespect of others. If you don't want some one to speak of you and to you a certain way, don't turn around and do it to others. If you don't want atheists and their views to be called silly, ridiculous, a prison, don't do it to people who think differently. Have your opinion (Of course) but have some respect. If I were to look at the tone of this thread and the tone of the believers thread, what kind of impression would I really get for atheists?

Thread cleaned.

Last edited:

I agree in that we shouldn't make statements on believers' mental capacity, as there are some intelligent people who are believers in god/s and there are also some very stupid atheists in this world. I think criticizing religion for the events which have occurred in history is fair, and of course, the events which occur in modern times which have religious beliefs as their root. I don't think it's nice to say someone who believes in something is stupid, though.

I'm an atheist and I don't think there's any god out there, but I obviously cannot be 100% sure. So, my point is, we should all respect each others' beliefs and philosophies [or lack thereof], and stick to criticizing only public figures, organizations, events, etc. and not personally attacking someone's belief or lack thereof.

This thread is allowed to be on this forum because everyone has different opinions that are allowed to be discussed her. However this thread goes way beyond what is respectful. I find it to be very disgusting. If I went to the Religion thread and slagged off on atheists saying "I can't believe how anyone could believe that way" "they are obviously slow witted" "They obviously are all homosexuals without any kind of moral code" "They are the ones who bring all bad things into the world", etc, etc, etc; some of you would be having a fit (and rightfully so). I really don't care if you are an atheist, do NOT take that as permission for your reverse hatred and bigotry to exist on this board. The thread before was talking about atheistic ideals. It talked respectfully and intelligently about why a person was an atheist, where they could find support for one another, etc. The last page or so ruined everything the thread was about and further illustrated what is wrong with so many threads on this board: The idea that your opinion is the only one and it is the right one. As such, you can say whatever you want, whichever way you want and you cannot be answered in like. I have opinions on things as well that are very strong, but I consider how I say things because I have too much respect for the other people of the board. I wish some of you would extend the same courtesy.

This is a final warning for this thread. If you want it to stay open, watch your tone and watch your disrespect of others. If you don't want some one to speak of you and to you a certain way, don't turn around and do it to others. If you don't want atheists and their views to be called silly, ridiculous, a prison, don't do it to people who think differently. Have your opinion (Of course) but have some respect. If I were to look at the tone of this thread and the tone of the believers thread, what kind of impression would I really get for atheists?

Thread cleaned.

One post of mine that you deleted was just a quote from the Bible (2 Kings 2:23-25) showing the cruelty of it. I didn't call anybody anything there, I just criticized the Bible. I didn't even say much (I just sarcastically noted how great and loving God is when he is killing children just for calling his prophet bald). The Bible spoke for itself....

Another post of mine you deleted was an answer to a person (obviously a religious one) who came in this thread and said why do we waste our time discussing atheism, what's the point? And I answered him saying from the point of an atheist there is equally no point of a thread that is discussing some imaginary friend. If calling Jesus an imaginary friend offended people I'm sorry for that, but someone's God is just an imaginary friend for someone else (it's called freedom of religion) and we are in the atheist thread. It's not like I went trolling the Jesus Christ thread.

I needed to note this, because you are clearly not honest about why you deleted certain posts. You deleted them because you are religious and you take any criticism of religion offensive. Funny, how Christians are allowed to criticize other religions here (for example I have seen posts by Alma vehemently criticizing other religions and atheists as well - to the extent that I have seen someone making a comment saying her posts were scaring her), but when someone says something against the Bible and the Christian God it's censored. I won't go in the Jesus Christ thread to criticize the Bible, I thought we are allowed to do it in this thread. Obviously I was wrong.

You are clearly very biased about these topics, since you are a very religious Christian yourself (it's clear from your other posts regarding religion). So maybe it would be better if someone less biased would moderate the atheist thread. Or if there isn't such then maybe you should ban all religious threads altogether from this board. Religion is a touchy subject and it takes great wisdom and judgment to moderate such threads well. You say you have no problem with atheism but you want to limit what is allowed to be said in an atheist thread about God and the Bible.

I can accept if you say we should refrain from calling religious people stupid, this and that (although if you want to be really fair then in the same breath you should also tell them to refrain from calling non religious people "lost souls", "sinners" etc.). But I can't see why we shouldn't be allowed to criticize the Biblegod in an atheist thread. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but it's called freedom of speech. Instead of deleting it, you can come and discuss why you don't think that 2 Kings 2:23-25 is cruel, for example.

Last edited:

...I just criticized the Bible. I didn't even say much (I just sarcastically noted how great and loving God is when he is killing children just for calling his prophet bald). The Bible spoke for itself....

Am I allowed to speak here? I'm a former atheist if you will, but I was not able to call myself an atheist for a long, long time. I come from a place and time where atheism was mentally drilled into me with the same intensity that others exhibited in their religious beliefs. Having said that, I do not relate to 'God' as the humanized single entity as the decision maker and perpetrator of both good and evil.
However I am far, far from home in the believer thread.

It is very easily possible to have issues with the literal interpretation of such seemingly gruesome stories such as in the Old Testament- and I say that NOT being an atheist.

Last edited:

I just checked out the Jesus Christ thread. I guess the deleting of certain posts here has to do with their complaints. They call us "lost souls and minds" there. Should I take that as an offense as well and complain about that?

I won't because I think the Jesus Christ thread is for them to express their views about God and religion and if they want to talk about that we are horrendous sinners and will go to Hell, they can. But I thought the same way this thread was for atheists to express their views. Since Christianity and atheism are conflicting views what you find here may be offensive to Christians. (The same way it may be offensive for atheists if Christians call them sinners, even if you don't realize it, because that's something we got used to throughout the centuries. It's just your belief that says we are sinners. That doesn't make it a fact.) I think if that's the case you should just avoid this thread but not try to limit other people's free speech on religion. Like I said it's not like we are trolling the Jesus Christ thread. We are in the atheist thread, but now it seems it will be members of the Jesus Christ thread and Christians who will dictate what we are allowed to say about God and Jesus in this thread.

It's clearly true what many atheists feel and claim that in the Western world the Christian faith is given privileges over any other belief or lack of belief. You have to watch your every word so that you won't offend their God (even in a thread for atheists) while they are allowed to call the whole world sinners. The cartoon I posted the other day seems to be very much valid.

If the mods say we are not allowed to criticize the Christian God and the Bible because other people may find that offensive, OK, I will follow this rule, though I don't think it's an unbiased judgment in the true spirit of freedom of religion. I guess I will just limit my conversations to the topics of Michael Jackson then.

Last edited:

Why is this thread more about slagging God and religion off then actually discussing atheism?

I personally like to discuss what lead people to atheism and I also like to give my reasons when I'm discussing my atheism. To me one of the (many) reasons is God's cruelty and inconsistency in the Bible.

Last edited:

If you have a problem with what someone is saying, report their posts. I have to admit I never go into that thread because I do not agree with a lot of what they say there (just as I never went into this thread either). I deleted posts for the reason I stated above. If I had a bias and acted on it, I would have just closed the thread. But this thread has been here a long time and was VERY respectful and there was no need to close it whether I agreed with it or not. If I deleted everything I didn't agree with, this board would be much different. But ultimately what I want does not matter. But what does matter is when try to use the freedoms of the board to slag off on other people.

I stand to what I said: you are not honest about why you deleted certain posts. Posts those didn't include any slagging off of people just criticizing God and the Bible.

But let's talk openly then. I will ask you a direct question about what is allowed here and what is not, so that I will know in the future:

Is it allowed to criticize the Bible and God in this thread? Is it allowed to quote Bible verses those are cruel to show why we think God is cruel?

Sure it is. By all means do so, or else how can you support what you believe. It is the commentary surrounding this that slags off on other people's beliefs that are wrong and that is why your other post was deleted. I will PM you.

Thanks. I read your PM and as you said we are allowed to be critical of the Bible here, here are the verses again I quoted in my deleted post:

23 And he (Elisha) went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

(2 Kings 2:23-24)

I don't think it was fair my post got deleted because all I said was that I didn't believe in God and the reasons why.
And I have seen Alma's post in the believers thread, calling atheists 'lost souls and minds', how disrespectful, just because we don't share the same beliefs as him/her. I have reported this post. I would also like to mention that if one of us atheists called the believers 'lost souls and minds' we would have gotten banned.

Last edited:

Jesus FTW! *Throws Bibles at you* Haha *Runs Away*

Jesus FTW! *Throws Bibles at you* Haha *Runs Away*

If you're a believer, wouldn't throwing the Bible at someone be considered a sin? :sigh:

If you're a believer, wouldn't throwing the Bible at someone be considered a sin? :sigh:

If god is as much as a as the bible makes him out to be, he would have no problem with it :p

Back