Average singers who make great music

hmm..interesting comment, becaues i think he has a terrific voice. lol.

goes to show you, u can have intangible reasons to love a singing voice, i guess..lol

See, I think he has a terrific voice as well. But, I somehow doubt he would be included in a list of "greatest" singers past and present. It all depends upon who he would be compared against; certainly not on the same level as Sinatra, Crosby, Pavarotti, etc.

Maybe "average" is not the appropriate description for Michael McDonald, but I'm sure there are those that would feel he's not a great singer per se.

See, I think he has a terrific voice as well. But, I somehow doubt he would be included in a list of "greatest" singers past and present. It all depends upon who he would be compared against; certainly not on the same level as Sinatra, Crosby, Pavarotti, etc.

Maybe "average" is not the appropriate description for Michael McDonald, but I'm sure there are those that would feel he's not a great singer per se.

well..the good thing about that is there are different markets for all types of voices. again, one's treasure is another's trash

Teddy Riley...

I love his singin and the tone but I also know he's just average as a singer.

Teddy Riley...

I love his singin and the tone but I also know he's just average as a singer.

so...tell me..how does someone love a voice that they consder to be average? lol..that's a mystery to me..(i'm not being flippant with you..i honestly want to know)

so...tell me..how does someone love a voice that they consder to be average? lol..that's a mystery to me..(i'm not being flippant with you..i honestly want to know)
Hmm well...how can I explain??:scratch: I love his voice and the way it sounds but never thought he's great at singing. Any clearer now?

Hmm well...how can I explain??:scratch: I love his voice and the way it sounds but never thought he's great at singing. Any clearer now?

lol...not really, but i guess i'll just have to accept that. lol.

well..let me ask u this. is there a great singer out there, whose voice you do not like?

(i guess this may help me to understand that there are intangibles, and that's why people love tpain, for example, tho he gets blasted on forums..lol)

Last edited:
Britney, Madonna, Janet (don't get me wrong i think Janet has a sweet voice, its just not all that outstanding), La Toya, Rhianna ect...
I like music by all of these women even though none of them have particulary brilliant voices...their songs are very catchy though

Michael McDonald. I love his voice and his songs (with or without the Doobies). But do I think he is a "superb" vocalist? No.

He is one of my very favorites, though.:yes:

michael mcdonald..i have to be honest when i did not see his face yet i thought he was not white! i was so shocked when i saw him on tv. that man has some soul. a soulful voice is so intriging..not everyone has it in them. but i doubt that he would be in the best singers catagory either. good music though yes.

i think the reason why some people may have a problem with Mary J. Blige is because she remade a Chaka Khan classic, and couldn't reach the high notes that Chaka reached. but..lol..i could be wrong. i don't think reach is important, just sound, in the notes she can reach. but it is easy to be used to the high notes, if ur remaking a song, tho. one can get used to the original recording and find it too easy to make the comparison. i think that Mary has a great voice, but i do prefer the Chaka Kahn original recording and the high notes, just because i prefer it.

i always thought she did the song in her own style. i always assumed people thought her voice was too ''scratchy'' so she couldnt sing. its rather rough than smooth. whats interesting to me is you can hear the pain in her voice when she sings about her saddness. so real and unique compared to other amazing singers who try to put emotion in it. shes so raw

lol...not really, but i guess i'll just have to accept that. lol.

well..let me ask u this. is there a great singer out there, whose voice you do not like?

(i guess this may help me to understand that there are intangibles, and that's why people love tpain, for example, tho he gets blasted on forums..lol)
:D...Yea please accept what I said as it is.

Let me see...Luther Vandross comes to mind first... Patti LaBelle....They're helluva sangers and I dig so many of their live clips but I just don't find their respective voice color itself attractive.

Alicia Keys

Agree.

Yes Alicia is alot better than some of her peers in mainstream BUT I think her vocal ability is mad overrated. She scrinches her voice too much when she sings but I guess its the choice of songs she chooses. Now her song, "Fallen" is the best song she has made and her vocals are on point in the song.

Her writing ability is more better to me and that is still average best.

Prince.

LOL yea Keith Sweat.. He made some tight jams back in the day but his voice is very average. LONG LIVE THE 90'S

Britney, Madonna, Janet (don't get me wrong i think Janet has a sweet voice, its just not all that outstanding), La Toya, Rhianna ect...
I like music by all of these women even though none of them have particulary brilliant voices...their songs are very catchy though

Take out Janet, and I agree with U. I think if Janet sat down and tried she could be a much better singer. The other four, not so much, LOL.

Agree.

Yes Alicia is alot better than some of her peers in mainstream BUT I think her vocal ability is mad overrated. She scrinches her voice too much when she sings but I guess its the choice of songs she chooses. Now her song, "Fallen" is the best song she has made and her vocals are on point in the song.

Prince.

LOL yea Keith Sweat.. He made some tight jams back in the day but his voice is very average. LONG LIVE THE 90'S

Good list, I agree w/all of it

^ Thanx Cinnamon

i think musiq is a bit above average... i think "Love" won an award for best RnB vocal performance.

He is... there still is nothing spectacular there though but he makes some really good music better than Usher, Chris, Beyonce, Rihanna all mainstream any damn day.

Avant is average but his music is pretty descent as well... but then again nothing "spectacular"

Raheem Devaughn is pretty average to but his music is really good. very underrated talents...

Just because your a really great singer doesnt mean anything. If your music is crap what does that do for me? I'm suppose to excuse that just because you can sing? lol....

Musiq is a little above average though.

Debbie Gibson
The Village People
George Clinton
Christopher Cross
The Go-Gos
B-52s
George Johnson (Brothers Johnson)
Shuggie Otis

Teddy Riley had great stuff for a while, in the nineties. but a little while after he left from working with Michael Jackson, Riley stopped being able to write good stuff.

Do anyone know Robin Thicke and Maxwell.

Maxwell is a GREAT singer..one of my favorite artists!! Robin can sing, but his songs are not great as "Lost Without You"..He's like a one hit wonder..

I think Janet can sing..she might not be as powerful as others..but her voice is more versatile than most singers..that what I like about her voice..Mike is the same was except he's obviously the better singer..

So here is my list..
Prince-He makes some of the best songs, but his voice is a joke to me..His vocals on Purple Rain are hilarious to me..just imagine Prince singing a solo in front of church..I still can't believe Rolling Stone put him right after MJ on their list of the Greatest Singers of All Time..I can't believe he even made the list..
Madonna-Once again, she has a great catologue..but she isn't that great of a singer
Rihanna-I love her music, but she shouldn't even be a singer..
Trey Songs-He makes ok songs, but I dislike his voice..it trembles too much
Patti Labelle-She makes good songs, but her voice is overrated..
Chris Brown-He can't sing worth a lick, but makes good music..kinda like his ex Rihanna..but he is way more talented than she is..he can dance his ass off though..
Ashanti-She makes good songs, but she is one of the worst singers of all time..
Keyshia Cole-She makes good songs, but her vocal abilities are not that great..

Last edited:
^^^^^

Did you hear Robin Thicke's new song called Sex Therepy.
It's one of the few songs I like from him.

Yeah I heard Sex Therapy..I like that song too..I liked the Evolution of Robin Thicke (the album with Lost With You on it) I thought it was pretty good, but his last 2 albums I wasn't impressed with..but I think he can sing..

Agree.

Prince.

Agreed about her voice. She doesn't really stay on key. She has a really bad sense of pitch imo and this is after being professionally recorded so I bet she would make me cringe live.

Prince?!!!!!!!!!!
Ooooooooooooooooooooookay...

I *wish* I could manipulate my voice like he does, control those sounds and have that range... but that's just me :p

To each their own :)

Back