Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?

Ha! I vote we lock u out LJ! heeeeeeeeeeeee............:p

Nooooooo
runaway%5B1%5D.gif

I'm having fun even if I do feel like I'm banging mr head against the wall :wild:

Since when did Peter Jackson get referred to as "Jacko"?? I never saw ANYTHING that referred to Peter Jackson as "Jacko"...??

Jacko isn't reserved just for Michael Jackson ;)

I think another reason the press use nicknames such as "Madge, Becks" etc is to make these celebs feel like old pals. The more you read about good ol' Becks the more you feel like you know the guy, so in a weird way you can relate to the article better *shrugs* I dunno, it could just be that nicknames also tend to be shorted :lol: so maybe they save $$ on using less letters :rofl:

Since when did Peter Jackson get referred to as "Jacko"?? I never saw ANYTHING that referred to Peter Jackson as "Jacko"...??

Nooooooo
runaway%5B1%5D.gif

Yup! In the UK at least Jacko is/has been used for lotta other celebs (with last name Jackson).

I think another reason the press use nicknames such as "Madge, Becks" etc is to make these celebs feel like old pals. The more you read about good ol' Becks the more you feel like you know the guy, so in a weird way you can relate to the article better *shrugs* I dunno, it could just be that nicknames also tend to be shorted :lol: so maybe they save $$ on using less letters :rofl:

I agree, also the job of the media is to grab headlines, so the nicknames makes it easier.

Nooooooo
runaway%5B1%5D.gif

I'm having fun even if I do feel like I'm banging mr head against the wall :wild:

You didn't answer my Question LJ....tell me where Peter Jackson is referred to as "Jacko".....quote a webpage, or a newspaper or a magazine...can you??

Huh??

Persistent, aint I?

Just think of me as this Forum's Pit Bulll...I will not let go till I get an answer from you LJ (singing).....;)

:lol::lol::lol:
Just wondering peeps do you care when "jacko' is used for other celebs. Does this article upset you or are you indifferent because its Peter Jackson and not MJ.
http://www.megastar.co.uk/movies/news-single-view/article/2/jacko-signs-on-for-hobbit-1.htm[/B]l

You have seen the link I posted on early (see above)!

You didn't answer my Question LJ....tell me where Peter Jackson is referred to as "Jacko".....quote a webpage, or a newspaper or a magazine...can you??

Huh??

Persistent, aint I?
Its in the article she posted but it is not clear to me if it is him they are referring to.

Here is the article! You can also view it from this LINK http://www.megastar.co.uk/movies/news-single-view/article/2/jacko-signs-on-for-hobbit-1.html

Jacko signs on for Hobbit
Jackson: Ring leader

Lord of the Rings trilogy director Peter Jackson has now officially signed on to produce not one, but two Hobbit movies sending Tolkien buffs into hysterics.

A lucrative Hobbit film had looked to have been shelved after Jackson fell out with New Line Cinema over cash generated by the opening film in the Rings successful Rings trilogy.

The films are likely to be shot back-to-back with a release earmarked for 2010 and 2011.

‘I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us,’ said the bearded auteur.

‘We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth.’

It’s unclear who will direct the Hobbit movies or if Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role of Gandalf, it also remains to be seen if Andy ‘Gollum’ Serkis will don the bobbly lycra suit for motion capture duties.

Sir Ian had previously expressed an interest with Jacko now in place surely it’s all systems go, but why do we have to wait so long.

It looks like a busy few years for Jackson who is also co-producing a trilogy of CGI Tintin movies with Steven Spielberg.

Jackson’s next celluloid treat is an adaptation of Alice Seebold’s book the Lovely Bones and primed for a 2008 release.

And yes they are referring to Peter Jackson. Hence the picture of Peter Jackson!:lol: Anyway this is just one of many in this country. Other famous people with Jackson have also been called Jacko by the press. I chose this article to also show that in the U.K at least Jacko isn't a 'racial' motivated nickname.

Last edited:
I just think you have to take the customs of people into account. That works both ways. In this case when an article comes out of GB or Australia and it uses the nickname in a positive article I understand it is meant to imply a camaraderie. If I see it used in the US I don't like it because it is not a custom here. We shorten first names here in the same way they do last names in Australia but never last names that I can think of.

Not everyone has knowledge of every comment Michael has ever made and may not know he said he didn't like it. I also believe he referred to not liking it in the context of talking about W**ko.

So don't hurt L.J. She doesn't mean any harm.

Here is the article! You can also view it from this LINK http://www.megastar.co.uk/movies/news-single-view/article/2/jacko-signs-on-for-hobbit-1.html

Jacko signs on for Hobbit
Jackson: Ring leader

Lord of the Rings trilogy director Peter Jackson has now officially signed on to produce not one, but two Hobbit movies sending Tolkien buffs into hysterics.

A lucrative Hobbit film had looked to have been shelved after Jackson fell out with New Line Cinema over cash generated by the opening film in the Rings successful Rings trilogy.

The films are likely to be shot back-to-back with a release earmarked for 2010 and 2011.

‘I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us,’ said the bearded auteur.

‘We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth.’

It’s unclear who will direct the Hobbit movies or if Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role of Gandalf, it also remains to be seen if Andy ‘Gollum’ Serkis will don the bobbly lycra suit for motion capture duties.

Sir Ian had previously expressed an interest with Jacko now in place surely it’s all systems go, but why do we have to wait so long.

It looks like a busy few years for Jackson who is also co-producing a trilogy of CGI Tintin movies with Steven Spielberg.

Jackson’s next celluloid treat is an adaptation of Alice Seebold’s book the Lovely Bones and primed for a 2008 release.

And yes they are referring to Peter Jackson. Hence the picture of Peter Jackson!:lol: Anyway this is just one of many in this country. Other famous people with Jackson have also been called Jacko by the press. I chose this article to also show that in the U.K at least Jacko isn't a 'racial' motivated nickname.

Ok..I stand corrected...the headline DOES say"Jacko"....however, the rest of the article doesn't persist in calling him "Jacko"...

Also...this is just one article..not the thousands that refer to Michael Jackson as "Wacko Jacko" throughout the net.....care to produce another one?? Heh heh heh...;)

Okay. I hadn't even noticed it was also in the title of the article. lol

The picture means nothing to me by the way. I have no idea who he is other than from the article. :D

Okay. I hadn't even noticed it was also in the title of the article. lol

The picture means nothing to me by the way. I have no idea who he is other than from the article. :D

Really? Wow! I take it you have heard of 'The Lord of the rings!'? He is the director of that among other films.:yes:

Ok..I stand corrected...the headline DOES say"Jacko"....however, the rest of the article doesn't persist in calling him "Jacko"...

Jacko’s `Thriller` in Grammy Hall Of Fame
Washington, Dec 21: The latest inclusions in the Grammy Hall Of Fame selections are Michael Jackson`s ‘Thriller’ and Pink Floyd`s ‘The Wall’.

The selections are among the 70 recordings that have been added to the prestigious list.

The other 2007 selections among the Recording Academy`s list are Lynyrd Skynyrd`s rock anthem ‘Free Bird’, Love`s classic album ‘Forever Changes’ and Willie Nelson`s country hit ‘Always On My Mind’.

The Grammy Hall of Fame Award is a special Grammy award established in 1973 to honor recordings that are at least twenty-five years old and that have "qualitative or historical significance".

The number of recordings in the list now turns to 798, reports Contactmusic.

Bureau Report with ANI Inputs
http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=414484&sid=ENT&sname=ENTERTAINMENT-NEWS&ssid=2&ssname=Music

I can't see persistence there!

Anyway MJ hates the term so we will leave it at that.

Last edited:
Also...this is just one article..not the thousands that refer to Michael Jackson as "Wacko Jacko" throughout the net.....care to produce another one?? Heh heh heh...;)

It will be a fun game won't it? But no! Got better things to do. Anyway the discussion topic was on 'Jacko' and not 'W**** J****.

Oh sure. Of course I have heard Lord of the Rings. I guess I just don't usually pay that much attention to names, just Michaels. lol

I take back what I said about never liking it if I see it used in a US publication. I think 411mania is US isn't it?

This was just published in it today:

4. Michael Jackson is the King of pop.

Josh McAuley: Fiction. There is absolutely no denying that Michael Jackson has had a huge career, been a revolutionary force in pop music and become an icon. However, in spite of this I have to say fiction. "Pop" music is a contemporary genre that has never had one true sound and has endured many crazes over the years. Because of its current nature it is hard to argue that there is ever a "king" of pop as what is cool one minute will shift the next. King? No. Icon? Yes.

Daniel Wilcox: Fact. I have to disagree whole-heartedly here, though Josh has a good argument. But while pop is certainly a contemporary genre, I don't think you can argue for anybody innovating or having more success with it than Jacko. If anything has gone against his claim to be King, it's got nothing to do with music and more to do with his image and the fact that he has became more of a punch line than a King. Still, Jacko's a legend. Everyone knows his stuff and everyone likes it whether they're into pop or not. Jackson made pop popular and is its one true King.

Definately not used in a negative way here. Perhaps Daniel Wilcox is an Aussie?

Really? Wow! I take it you have heard of 'The Lord of the rings!'? He is the director of that among other films.:yes:

Jacko’s `Thriller` in Grammy Hall Of Fame
Washington, Dec 21: The latest inclusions in the Grammy Hall Of Fame selections are Michael Jackson`s ‘Thriller’ and Pink Floyd`s ‘The Wall’.

The selections are among the 70 recordings that have been added to the prestigious list.

The other 2007 selections among the Recording Academy`s list are Lynyrd Skynyrd`s rock anthem ‘Free Bird’, Love`s classic album ‘Forever Changes’ and Willie Nelson`s country hit ‘Always On My Mind’.

The Grammy Hall of Fame Award is a special Grammy award established in 1973 to honor recordings that are at least twenty-five years old and that have "qualitative or historical significance".

The number of recordings in the list now turns to 798, reports Contactmusic.

Bureau Report with ANI Inputs
http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=414484&sid=ENT&sname=ENTERTAINMENT-NEWS&ssid=2&ssname=Music

I can't see persistence there!

Anyway MJ hates the term so we will leave it at that.

Amen to that one!!

Last edited:
I get offended by I know not EVERYONE means it in an offensive way.. I have even seen MJ fans have screen names..

Jackofan etc..

It more depends from WHO is it being said from...

yeah I'm sure some FAns don't find it personally offensive....cuz they're not MICHAEL :lol:

there's no way of getting around it, MICHAEL finds it offensive lol

yeah I'm sure some FAns don't find it personally offensive....cuz they're not MICHAEL :lol:

I am just saying we shouldn't be angry with everyone who does it because depending on their background, etc. they may mean no harm. On the other hand, by their being made aware of how it is taken here it is also correct for them to try to be considerate of our/Michael's customs.

True. The thing I wonder tho' is that in countries like the UK whereby 'Jacko' is used by the press for most peeps with last name Jackson and whereby the press prefer nicknames for celebs, isn't it naive to expect the press to treat MJ differently from the other? (in this sense).

The bottom line is that the press will not change anytime soon. So Jacko will appear for better or worse. As someone pointed out b4, MJ has been called much, much worse.

No but that doesn't dismiss the fact that MJ doesn't like the name. I'm not gonna call MJ that name cuz 'all the tabloids make nicknames for celebs'. MJ doesn't like the name, it's just respectful NOT to use it when referring to him. I KNOW michael knows that he's been called much worse, but doesn't make the lesser offensive names any better lol.

Oh noooooooo. We gonna keep it open for ever

and ever....

and ever....

and ever....

and ever.....:p
:lol:
it's a miracle! you can laugh at mods only at Christmas Holidays :p

Last edited:
I have noticed that some fans get upset when MJ is referred to as Jacko. The thing is that Jacko is a short for Jackson. Its used by the media/non-media to address people with the last name Jackson. Admittedly the media use it a lot for MJ. What I find offensive is when the term Jacko is used to rhyme with an offensive word in describing MJ e.g W**** Jacko and s*** like that.

I remember a very good British gymnast with last name Jackson who was called Jacko by the media. In fact he had fans/family with banner 'Go Jacko' etc.

Anyways what are your thoughts etc

My thoughts about the name is that I think the name is degrading and wrong. That name is NOT his name. When the US media uses that name, it is to degrade him and insult him. They can call him Mike, Michael, Mickey, Mikey, MJ, but they call him by that stupid ass name! The man's name is MICHAEL JACKSON. There is nothing WACKO about MJ. I do not care what anyone thinks/says. He does wacky things, i.e. the bookstore situation, dangling the little one, marrying those women, hiring Stuart Backerman, etc. However, that does not equate to being a wacky person. We all know who is really wacky - Britney Spears.

Jacko per se is not offensive. However, it becomes offensive if there is a malicious connotation attached to it. And there goes the rub.

There may be a million Jackos out there and they may find that nickname alright but the most famous of them all is Michael so we are discussing Jacko here in the context the media uses it on him.

It wasnt coined out of their fondness for him bec. it is almost always paired with wacko. And our man, Michael, has made it clear he is offended by it.

My point is, any nickname given to anybody is ok if it is ok also with the person to whom that nickname is given. If that person says,"please don't call me such bec. it is hurting me" then name calling shld stop. In Michael's case, it persists to this day even if he has stated that it is not ok. That's when disrespect comes in. That is not ok

Nope. Only with "Wacko" attached. "Jacko" is news-speak for "Jackson". No prob with that.

I have noticed that some fans get upset when MJ is referred to as Jacko. The thing is that Jacko is a short for Jackson. Its used by the media/non-media to address people with the last name Jackson. Admittedly the media use it a lot for MJ. What I find offensive is when the term Jacko is used to rhyme with an offensive word in describing MJ e.g W**** Jacko and s*** like that.

I remember a very good British gymnast with last name Jackson who was called Jacko by the media. In fact he had fans/family with banner 'Go Jacko' etc.

Anyways what are your thoughts etc

well, i'm here in the states, not great britain.

and over here, the term is used only negatively. so yes, it's offensive.

that's calling him out his name. it's disrespectful to change the man's name

I totally agree.

Back