Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?

its not about if WE find it offensive, it's not about if YOU or I find it offensive, or if in different contexts if it's offensive...the fact is that MICHAEL does. And its as simple as that for me.

To be honest, I must admit I always kinda liked the Jacko thing, it is the Wacko Jacko that I think is offensive. But only the Jacko I like, it is like Jack-O, which actually sounds kinda cool.

I also think there is a difference between the American and the European continent, which is also visible in this thread. Americans seem far more offended by the Jacko then the Europeans do (or Autralians for that matter). But also here, the Wacko Jacko is only used when the tone of the "article" is negative. But it is being used far less here in the Netherlands then in other countries it seems to me. Though I admit that I have become an expert in avoiding potentially offending media about MJ :D so I might simply not be seeing it :cool:

To be honest, I must admit I always kinda liked the Jacko thing, it is the Wacko Jacko that I think is offensive. But only the Jacko I like, it is like Jack-O, which actually sounds kinda cool.

I also think there is a difference between the American and the European continent, which is also visible in this thread. Americans seem far more offended by the Jacko then the Europeans do (or Autralians for that matter). But also here, the Wacko Jacko is only used when the tone of the "article" is negative. But it is being used far less here in the Netherlands then in other countries it seems to me. Though I admit that I have become an expert in avoiding potentially offending media about MJ :D so I might simply not be seeing it :cool:

Michael Jackson has said he does'nt like the term 'Jacko' hence its not a word to be used to refer to him. Its obnoxious if you ask me!

Yes, I do think it's an offensive name! His name is Jackson and that's that! "I'm not a jacko, I'm Jackson"!

See this is where the language and cultural differences gets interesting. :p

In one breath your saying don't call him by the nickname "Jacko" , but in the next breath you say it is ok to call him by other nicknames such as "Mike" or "MJ" It's interesting not just as fans, but as different people from different cultures to see which nicknames we allow and which ones we dont :) ... so what is it that makes which nicknames appropriate and which ones inappropriate? is it how it is accepted by a majority? by the individual? or by the culture we know?

(please note I'm not picking at your Linda :) but merely using your quote as an example of differences ;) )

I think the reason why "Jacko" isn't accepted like "Mike Jack" etc is purely due to the negative connections that the press have put with the name.
It also appears to me that maybe in the US even if Wacko isn't added to the word Jacko.... the word in itself might sound harsh and short as opposed to the full name. So hence sounding disrespectful :)

and like i said earlier the other reason we tend not to use or like Jacko, is purely because MJ don't like it either :p

So now this is a "cultural thing"? PLEASE. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK...Ok...I THINK Jacko is offensive. Michael JACKSON HIMSELF thinks the term is offensive. It HURTS. It's DISRESPECTFUL. There is nothing "cultural" about this topic.. If you can erase the "Wacko" connotation from the word "Jacko", then you can use it. I tend to think you cannot. That phrase has been used too much, for too long for anyone to say "Jacko" and not have "Wacko" go along with it.

Most of you are Christian, are you not? And isn't one of the basic tenets of Christian doctrine the Golden Rule? You know, treat others the way YOU want to be treated? How would you like it if for quite a while, the phrase "Wacko Jacko" was being used? IN THE MASS MEDIA no less?? And now, all of a sudden, the word "Jacko" DOESN'T have a derogatory, disrespectful connotation? That all of a sudden it's a "cultural" issue??

Us Americans have gone to so many cultural differences lectures and classes, we bend over BACKWARDS to accomodate the foreign people who come to our shores. We modify the way we dress, how we greet, and even make eye contact!! And now US AMERICANS are supposed to "suck it up" and accept the usage of the word "Jacko"....that somehow it was all benign all this time? That it ISN'T offensive?? Give me a freaking break!

Treat Michael Jackson the way YOU would want to be treated. Get RID of the term Jacko. It is offensive. It's a matter of respect, and common courtesy. There is nothing "cultural" about it. DON'T USE IT. IT IS OFFENSIVE. Period. End of conversation!!

Last edited:
So now this is a "cultural thing"? PLEASE. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK...Ok...I THINK Jacko is offensive. Michael JACKSON HIMSELF thinks the term is offensive. It HURTS. It's DISRESPECTFUL. There is nothing "cultural" about this topic.. If you can erase the "Wacko" connotation from the word "Jacko", then you can use it. I tend to think you cannot. That phrase has been used too much, for too long for anyone to say "Jacko" and not have "Wacko" go along with it.

Most of you are Christian, are you not? And isn't one of the basic tenets of Christian doctrine the Golden Rule? You know, treat others the way YOU want to be treated? How would you like it if for quite a while, the phrase "Wacko Jacko" was being used? IN THE MASS MEDIA no less?? And now, all of a sudden, the word "Jacko" DOESN'T have a derogatory, disrespectful connotation? That all of a sudden it's a "cultural" issue??

Us Americans have gone to so many cultural differences lectures and classes, we bend over BACKWARDS to accomodate the foreign people who come to our shores. We modify the way we dress, how we greet, and even make eye contact!! And now US AMERICANS are supposed to "suck it up" and accept the usage of the word "Jacko"....that somehow it was all benign all this time? That it ISN'T offensive?? Give me a freaking break!

Treat Michael Jackson the way YOU would want to be treated. Get RID of the term Jacko. It is offensive. It's a matter of respect, and common courtesy. There is nothing "cultural" about it. DON'T USE IT. IT IS OFFENSIVE. Period. End of conversation!!

The point of this topic was to share views about the term 'Jacko' among fans. From my country the term 'Jacko' is used as a short for anyone named Jackson. As a result I do not get all heated up as soon as someone says Jacko. Following the conversation here I have also been able to see how similar acceptance of this term exist in other countries as well. This is not the case however it seems in the states. This differences between different cultures/countries has become very apparent. Especially by the 'heated' responses given by your self among others mainly from the states.

So we have established that MJ dislikes both terms Jacko and W**** J**** (perhaps been American himself I can now understand). As to quoting the Bible and talking about Christianity and 'Treat others as you will like to be treated' part of your post.... I don't think it necessary or relevant. A simple answer of Yes I hate the term because MJ hates it. Will have been enough.

It does, especially in what is supposed to be respected and serious journalism. While I do get a lot of information from the Smoking Gun, even they have 'Jacko' for the file names and titles. Is it so hard to say his government name?

I am sorry for getting on the high horse..I just get SO offended about the use of "Jacko" that I cannot see straight..

hell yeah I do and think it is wrong for these media types to be calling a Grown Ass Man out of his name and he is cleared of everything and he has done so much for the world at large. it's racist and wrong IMO.

I agree with J5master, the main point is that Michael finds it offensive! But yes, I myself do aswell because not only is it offensive & degrading to Michael himself, but it's also very disrespectful to his parents! Jackson is their name & that's the only thing any of them should be addressed by! Period! I wouldn't like it if someone deliberately mispronounced my name either, it would tick me off to no end!

michael hates that name and anyone knowing him know that they call him that to put him down. Its not right and it is totally disrespectful. It tears me apart each time i hear that name. Why do they always have to call him that when he has said I,m not Jacko i,m Jackson , do they not think he has feelings . well he does and he doesn,t want to pass that name to his kids but know one seems to give a dam. My heart goes out to him and wish something could be done about it.:frustrated:

I think I got you confused so I apologise, I was not saying that it's a cultural thing for some places to call Michael Jackson "Jacko"

I was merely pointing out that in different places the shortening of a name is often used as a friendship/mateship thing, or as sign of mutual respect.

I personally don't call Michael "Jacko"... never have, it just doesn't sound right, and that is before I think of the negative side that it has associated with the word.

As for the christian comment, I'm not of any faith :flowers: and the Religion thread we had running a while back at MJJF demonstrated that the board is of a diverse nature when it comes to religion and faith... just as we are with cultural and social interactions as demonstrated in this discussion on the word "Jacko"

I'm trying to open the conversation up to discuss the actual word and to demonstrate differences. Otherwise the thread would just be everyone responding with "No I find it offensive, Michael finds it offensive" etc :)

The teaching of "treat other's as you wish to be treated" is older than the bible though B)

hell yeah I do and think it is wrong for these media types to be calling a Grown Ass Man out of his name and he is cleared of everything and he has done so much for the world at large. it's racist and wrong IMO.

mistermaxx you claim the word is racist. Can I ask for an explaination? Does the word "Jacko" actually mean something else other than that it is short for Jackson or that it rhymes with wacko?
I'm kinda curious is all and would love to understand a little better as it might also help me to understand why so many US members seem to be more defensive and angry over the word as opposed to other members who just say "Oh I don't like it"

:)

We could also look at the bigger picture here and compare Jacko to some of the other names people refer MJ too. Then when I get really offended it is when the media always feel the need to put a potentially positive article down by some words like childfriend, former King of Pop, mentally instable, accused of child abuse and . Compared to those, I guess I can live with the Jacko thing.

I like the discussion about calling him to his first name, made me think about myself and I must say that I only call him Michael when I am with other fans, but in general I call him by both his first and his last name: Michael Jackson. So yeah I guess there is a little boundary of respect here in me too ^_^

yes, I DO.... should not be the term forbidden in here, by the way???? just wondering..............

yes, I DO.... should not be the term forbidden in here, by the way???? just wondering..............

I can't see why it should be forbidden? I think the conversation is a valid one :)
as a mod, I would probably edit it out of people's posts if they decided to use it in an offensive way (i.e calling Michael W.... J.....) other than that, I'm certainly not going to censor people from having a discussion :D

Hey, we both agree on something.. It's a freaking miracle!! (falling down) LOL!

:eek: *fans the fainted Linda* :p

I can understand that fans don't like the WJ tag, but in the UK, Jacko is used as a term of affection like Madge for Madonna. And frankly, I think there are far more hurtful and negative names thrown at MJ to worry too much about this one.

seeing as its about nicknames what names get shortened in the U.S.A. because from the replies on here it doesnt seem at all that the jacko nickname is used at all for ppl called jackson gibson etc.. what about smithy and jonesy for ppl with smith and jones as surnames? the opinions seems to come from ppl not knowing the origins of such nicknames therfore automatically thinking it as negative and like it was created just for mj when obviously it wasnt.

and the racist accusation is ridiculous. that obviously comes from not knowing the origin of the nickname.

Last edited:
No, I don't get offended, 'Jacko' isn't offensive, 'Wacko Jacko' is, but I've seen positive articles about Michael where's he's been referred to as Jacko, so no big deal, every celebrity has a nickname.

I can understand that fans don't like the WJ tag, but in the UK, Jacko is used as a term of affection like Madge for Madonna. And frankly, I think there are far more hurtful and negative names thrown at MJ to worry too much about this one.

Wasn't the UK the SOURCE of the phrase "Wacko Jacko"? And if so, people always remember the negative - you have to do 20 positive things to make people try to forget one negative. And the word "Jacko" has been used so many times negatively, that the positive doesn't fare too well...people only remember the negative.

It's disrespectful to me because it sounds like underestimating and disrespecting if you use a nickname of the family name. Using a nick name like Mike or MJ is different..

Last edited:
I definitely get offended for Michael. When you use something that someone has stated painfully that they do not like, it doesn't matter if you mean it endearingly. Don't hurt those you love.

I have noticed that some fans get upset when MJ is referred to as Jacko. The thing is that Jacko is a short for Jackson. Its used by the media/non-media to address people with the last name Jackson. Admittedly the media use it a lot for MJ. What I find offensive is when the term Jacko is used to rhyme with an offensive word in describing MJ e.g W**** Jacko and s*** like that.

I remember a very good British gymnast with last name Jackson who was called Jacko by the media. In fact he had fans/family with banner 'Go Jacko' etc.

Anyways what are your thoughts etc

I dont get offended by jacko
Only Wacko Jacko -

many fans endearenly call him Jacko
so we shouldnt pounce on them for that
Only if they use a negative with it.

Wasn't the UK the SOURCE of the phrase "Wacko Jacko"? And if so, people always remember the negative - you have to do 20 positive things to make people try to forget one negative. And the word "Jacko" has been used so many times negatively, that the positive doesn't fare too well...people only remember the negative.

yes it was the uk. but what you dont get is that jacko was not created for mj its a nickname that is as old as the earth in the uk and other countries. so when jacko is said in the Uk it has nothing to do with wacko.the only connection is when the 2 names are said together. jacko is not a negative its what anyone who has that surname gets called. its the fans who are turning it into a negative interms of thinking straight away of wacko but the 2 names are not joined at the hip they are totally seperate.

Back