Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?

Also...this is just one article..not the thousands that refer to Michael Jackson as "Wacko Jacko" throughout the net.....care to produce another one?? Heh heh heh...;)

With pleasure :p

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2007/12/11/8962_hpsport.html

article about rugby...

"He's got Justin that can play five-eighth, Burnsie can slip into halfback and Wattsie's there and you have got Jacko too, so he has got a few options and however he plays them, the club has confidence in them to do it."

http://forbes.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/general/bentick-trophy-coming-to-an-end/1099709.html

article about a bowls tournament....

Also played over the weekend were two games in the Ferguson Shield, Shane Sharman defeated Lawrence (Jacko) Jackson 31 to 26 and young David Brown defeating Geoff Williams in a nail biting 31-30.

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/news/local/general/surf-report-with-john-veage/1147934.html

article about surf...

Also you should go and visit Greeny at Jacko's and make him wrap up blocks of wax for chrissie presents, 20 or thirty would be good.HO HO HO!

Check out AFL lunatic Mark "Jacko" Jackson taking on rugby league star Mal Meninga in the boxing ring in 2003. Watch it, it's a great way to waste 4 minutes and 49 seconds of your life. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW1jrbR4WFA

http://grenfell.yourguide.com.au/news/local/general/carols-in-the-park-this-sunday/1103318.html

Article about christmas carols in the park

Our town band under the baton of Mr Jacko Birch will accompany the carols.

;):D:p

Its very interesting to me to read of the different opinions/views on this topic. However can I just say again that the topic does NOT suggest that MJ should be called 'Jacko' but rather asks for Your opinions on whether this term in itself is offensive to you (in relationship to both MJ and other celebs).

The other 'myth' that I have noticed is the notion that calling someone by their full name is a sign of Respect! I call this a myth simply because insulting someone can depend on other factors such as the content used, tone of voice, body language etc. So despite the fact that Sneddon has never called MJ 'Jacko' and had always referred to him as Mr Michael Jackson etc he wasn't doing it out of respect for MJ's feelings. Nor was he been Respectful to MJ when he was trying his best to convince the world that Mr Michael J Jackson is a molester. :rolleyes:

If I read two articles; one very disrespectful to MJ but referred to him as Michael Jackson and the other positive but referred to him as 'Jacko', I will not be saying 'Oh well the 'nasty' article at least showed him some respect! :rolleyes:

In the same tone then some of us don't get ready-to-fight when we see 'Jacko' (possibly because of the countries we live/come from). The main thing is that although MJ finds the term offensive, the use of this term will not stop. So it really comes to individual choices on how to react to this term. That choice is totally Yours.

No in fact I use it. I dont mean in it the disresptful way because I dont think of it that way or him. Im not calling him Wacko Jacko just Jacko cuz its shorter than Michael Jackson.

One thing I do know is Michael does not like being called 'Jacko' it hurts him.. It's a part of the reason why I would not use it, and why I don't like the word.

:rofl:

my last name isn't Jackson :p ... though my first name is Linda :cool:

Okay. But I noticed your quick response to my post...so that means that YOU are offended by the use of the word "Jacko"....:lol

Hey, I didn't get an "A" in Psychology for nothing...heh heh heh

Okay. But I noticed your quick response to my post...so that means that YOU are offended by the use of the word "Jacko"....:lol

I suspect you are assuming something that may not be there although your intent was obviously to be insulting to her so that has to be taken into account. She has given examples of how Jacko is used in Australia and they are obviously not using it derogatorily. You are assuming that just because in our/your culture shortening last names is, if done at all, derogatory (we do it to first names instead) someone from another culture will feel the same way.

Congratulations on your A but sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing. In a world in which borders are so transparent we need to understand how to interpret things done by people in other cultures. Wars have started over misunderstandings that were just that. A misinterpretation of peoples actions because their customs were not understood.

I suspect you are assuming something that may not be there although your intent was obviously to be insulting to her so that has to be taken into account. She has given examples of how Jacko is used in Australia and they are obviously not using it derogatorily. You are assuming that just because in our/your culture shortening last names is, if done at all, derogatory (we do it to first names instead) someone from another culture will feel the same way.

Congratulations on your A but sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing. In a world in which borders are so transparent we need to understand how to interpret things done by people in other cultures. Wars have started over misunderstandings that were just that. A misinterpretation of peoples actions because their customs were not understood.

Yes, I have to agree...I was assuming a lot. However, she was quick to point out her last name was not Jackson. These are just written words, and I can't interpret exactly what she was trying to say here, but it did sound a bit defensive. Methinks it MAY have something to do with the use of the word "Jacko", but then again, it may not..

Just wanted to add....I think we're gettin more hits here on this forum....add some controversy, and it works like a CHARM! LOL!

Yes, I have to agree...I was assuming a lot. However, she was quick to point out her last name was not Jackson. These are just written words, and I can't interpret exactly what she was trying to say here, but it did sound a bit defensive. Methinks it MAY have something to do with the use of the word "Jacko", but then again, it may not..
It sounded offensive to me but I'm not Australian (and I knew you didn't mean it nice). That is the catch. It is why someone started the thread. They are having as hard a time understanding our reaction as we are theirs I think.:flowers: Even the fact that you are from the US and used it generally gives it a different connotation to me.

Last edited:
I had no intent of making it sound offensive...it was meant to sound "nice"...I saw the initials L.J. and assumed her name was "Jackson", so I just referred to her by a "nickname".. and that is MY point here.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add....I think we're gettin more hits here on this forum....add some controversy, and it works like a CHARM! LOL!
I know. Everyone stops to watch if they think there is going to be a knock down drag out. Its human nature. lol

I don't find Jacko offensive but if people use it in an angry way to well slag MJ then i get offended by it but apart from that i'm ok with it

can we lighten up a bit here? :worried: i think we may have been taking things too seriously...

Oh but I am light...I am just discussing the possibility of someone whose last name is Jackson possibly being offended by being called "Jacko"...even though I was using this NON-offensively, and quite nicely as a nickname! :lol Don't worry - this is still a light-hearted conversation..;)

Thanx! :clap:

Well Cameran Jackson, Bob Jackson, and John Doe Jackson MAY not find it offensive....but that doesn't take off the fact that, MICHAEL DOES :lol:

I notice people keep saying that Michael hates being called Jacko - and that is not true - Michael didnt say he was offended by Jacko -- He was only offended by Wacko Jacko
even Mj know the difference ...

I could be wrong but
I believe he didnt say Jacko offended him in ANY interview
He said WACKO Jacko offended him - there is nothing
derogatory with the nickname Jacko .. only when you add
an offensice prefix to it does it become offensive - The fans
are the ones that took it to far - by saying Jacko was offensive - Michael never did ...

Please show me the quote from Michael if you want to disagree. and it will prove what MJ said about it.

He said "wacko Jacko" not "Jacko"
there is a BIG difference (smile)

"I'm not Jacko, I'm jackson" Pretty clear cut to me. The point is he just wanna be called by his NAME...and the phrase jacko on it's own, really didn't start become popular (as reference to MJ) until someone added "wacko" to it.

I mean, I just don't get why people are so adament in calling MJ by this name LOL.

Last edited:
But that's just it though, that context is in ASSOCIATION. And MJ doesn't like the association..PERIOD. Thats why instead of saying "WACKO JACKO", he just said "JACKO, I'm Jackson"...meaning, just CALL ME BY MY NAME. LOL So we destroy all of that association.

Well Cameron Jackson, Bob Jackson, and John Doe Jackson MAY not find it offensive....but that doesn't take off the fact that, MICHAEL DOES :lol:

When Michael said, "Im not Jacko, Im Jackson", he was clearly talking about the media calling him Wacko Jacko which is offensive and if I were Mike Id be mad too.

I say Jacko because its the nickname for Jackson which isnt offensive. Funny I have a friend called Jacko and my dog is Jacko too! And I like all 3 Jacko's!

But that's just it though, that context is in ASSOCIATION. And MJ doesn't like the association..PERIOD. Thats why instead of saying "WACKO JACKO", he just said "JACKO, I'm Jackson"...meaning, just CALL ME BY MY NAME. LOL So we destroy all of that association.
Again. I wouldn't call him Jacko. I am from the US as you are. It wouldn't feel right to me and I seem to have heard somewhere Michael doesn't like it. lol. But I still do not get offended when I read it in a foreign publication that is speaking positively about him when I know their custom regarding it is different than mine.

But in general, it's been established that the whole "wacko jacko' thing CAME from overseas lol. Thats why I'm saying I'd RATHER not hear them refer to him that way period. MJ has that association now...in general. So I mean, I'm not saying I'm gonna punch someone out if i see "jacko" in an article, but i'd rather not them say it period. And I definitely wouldn't like fans using it but that's just me.

Hell I wouldnt call him Jacko to his face. In fact my family knows that if I met him again just one on one Id call him Mr. Jackson seems I dont personally know him so thats just respectful as you would anyone else.

ahahahaha I wasn't offended :rollin: I was merely pointing out that you can't address me as Jacko cause my last name isn't Jackson, if it was I wouldn't have even blinked at you calling me Jacko, unless I thought you were being snide or something. I wasn't defensive at all :lol: I thought we were having a bit of a joke :lol:

The J for the record stands for Jean :p

Back