Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?

I have noticed that some fans get upset when MJ is referred to as Jacko. The thing is that Jacko is a short for Jackson. Its used by the media/non-media to address people with the last name Jackson. Admittedly the media use it a lot for MJ. What I find offensive is when the term Jacko is used to rhyme with an offensive word in describing MJ e.g W**** Jacko and s*** like that.

I remember a very good British gymnast with last name Jackson who was called Jacko by the media. In fact he had fans/family with banner 'Go Jacko' etc.

Anyways what are your thoughts etc
I know what it's short for. The sentiments behind using it when referring to MJ has been generally with disrespect, at least in my country.

So I hate it.

Re: Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f

I think it's like anything really, if you use it to mean offence or indifference to that person, it's wrong, doesn't matter what the word is or how you say it.

If it's just the way you talk or it's a cultural thing and you are using it as a way to show endearment or respect or mateship etc then surely it's acceptable on some level.

Mind you I wouldn't call Michael Jacko due to the fact that I know he doesn't like it.
But that's just the point LJ. In the states and among African American culture, it is very highly disrespectful and the term is used with the ultimate of belittling disrespect here. It basically reduces MJ's achievements and legacy to a point of indifference to the haters.

depends on how the word is used. whether its with w.a.c.k.o for eg.its not the nicest sounding name ill say that. it has different meanings i think depending on what country you are in. as in the uk and Oz (others from there have said) if u have a last name that ends in son be it jackson or gibson for eg then u always get called gibbo or jacko when at school etc.its the oldest nickname in the book and wasnt created just for mj. its not a negative name just a nickname like any other.in countries where this doesnt happen they seem to find the nickname more offensive because they think the name is ment to be negative but the name on its own isnt.its just a nickname nothing more nothing less. news paper headlines are only offensive when the W is put b4 jacko. otherwise its as i said above and just abriviating the name to create more space as papers do
It's not negative in your country. If someone over here uses the word 'bloody', it's because someone has blood on them. It's not a cuss word. Jacko does not translate into a term of endearment in the US, I can tell you that much.

See this is where the language and cultural differences gets interesting. :p

In one breath your saying don't call him by the nickname "Jacko" , but in the next breath you say it is ok to call him by other nicknames such as "Mike" or "MJ" It's interesting not just as fans, but as different people from different cultures to see which nicknames we allow and which ones we dont :) ... so what is it that makes which nicknames appropriate and which ones inappropriate? is it how it is accepted by a majority? by the individual? or by the culture we know?

(please note I'm not picking at your Linda :) but merely using your quote as an example of differences ;) )

I think the reason why "Jacko" isn't accepted like "Mike Jack" etc is purely due to the negative connections that the press have put with the name.
It also appears to me that maybe in the US even if Wacko isn't added to the word Jacko.... the word in itself might sound harsh and short as opposed to the full name. So hence sounding disrespectful :)

and like i said earlier the other reason we tend not to use or like Jacko, is purely because MJ don't like it either :p
It's clear to me, because 'Jacko' is not thought of as a nickname here. That's the difference.

The point of this topic was to share views about the term 'Jacko' among fans. From my country the term 'Jacko' is used as a short for anyone named Jackson. As a result I do not get all heated up as soon as someone says Jacko. Following the conversation here I have also been able to see how similar acceptance of this term exist in other countries as well. This is not the case however it seems in the states. This differences between different cultures/countries has become very apparent. Especially by the 'heated' responses given by your self among others mainly from the states.

So we have established that MJ dislikes both terms Jacko and W**** J**** (perhaps been American himself I can now understand). As to quoting the Bible and talking about Christianity and 'Treat others as you will like to be treated' part of your post.... I don't think it necessary or relevant. A simple answer of Yes I hate the term because MJ hates it. Will have been enough.
I would venture to say that MJ doesn't care for either term, although I'm sure that he is aware that in Europe and Australia, the J*acko name does not have the negative connotation as it does in the states.

seeing as its about nicknames what names get shortened in the U.S.A. because from the replies on here it doesnt seem at all that the jacko nickname is used at all for ppl called jackson gibson etc.. what about smithy and jonesy for ppl with smith and jones as surnames? the opinions seems to come from ppl not knowing the origins of such nicknames therfore automatically thinking it as negative and like it was created just for mj when obviously it wasnt.

and the racist accusation is ridiculous. that obviously comes from not knowing the origin of the nickname.
From my experience and observation, surnames are not commonly shortened in that way in the states. What is more common here is for nicknames to be the surname in full, or the initials of a person's first and last name or a nickname altogether different from the person's given name. I also have a '-son' surname and my father is referred to the first part of the '-son' surname by his very closest circle of buddies, but that is highly discrete and personal and he would never stand for anyone else calling him that because people don't know him like that. And I can tell you it would never have an 'O' ending on it either.

Furthermore, IMO, this is not about understanding the origins of how 'J*acko' came about, but it does help to understand that it is not thought of as offensive in other countries and the reason behind that.

However, you have to respect that it IS thought of as disrespectful here, no matter how puzzling it may be to you as well as to others who don't live in the States.

Also, Max's position that the term is racist to him is not ridiculous. It comes from his perspective and his experiences which are obviously different from your perspective and experiences. And I might also venture to say that it's probably closer to how MJ views it than you may want to think or believe...

I think I got you confused so I apologise, I was not saying that it's a cultural thing for some places to call Michael Jackson "Jacko"

I was merely pointing out that in different places the shortening of a name is often used as a friendship/mateship thing, or as sign of mutual respect.

I personally don't call Michael "Jacko"... never have, it just doesn't sound right, and that is before I think of the negative side that it has associated with the word.

As for the christian comment, I'm not of any faith :flowers: and the Religion thread we had running a while back at MJJF demonstrated that the board is of a diverse nature when it comes to religion and faith... just as we are with cultural and social interactions as demonstrated in this discussion on the word "Jacko"

I'm trying to open the conversation up to discuss the actual word and to demonstrate differences. Otherwise the thread would just be everyone responding with "No I find it offensive, Michael finds it offensive" etc :)

The teaching of "treat other's as you wish to be treated" is older than the bible though B)

mistermaxx you claim the word is racist. Can I ask for an explaination? Does the word "Jacko" actually mean something else other than that it is short for Jackson or that it rhymes with wacko?
I'm kinda curious is all and would love to understand a little better as it might also help me to understand why so many US members seem to be more defensive and angry over the word as opposed to other members who just say "Oh I don't like it"

:)
they are calling a Black Grown Man out of his name. it is n't meant as a joke it's meant to make him seem crazy, dangerous and a threat to society like he isn't human. it's a code of words that isn't pleasent.

This is a very interesting discussion for me. Since English is not my native language, the name Jacko has no special connotation for me. I know that MJ dislikes it, so I avoid it.

What was hard for me to understand was the racism angle. I'm not saying it's not true, because I don't know whether it is, but I do know that the British tabloids give nicknames to all celebrities, of all colours. Just a couple of examples:

Madonna - Mags (if I recall correctly)
Sarah Ferguson - Fergie
Paul McCartney - Macca
Paul Gascoigne - Gazza
David Beckham - Becks

The list just goes on. So from the point of view of the British tabloids, I don't think the name is racist or even insulting in itself. From an American point of view it may be entirely different.

JN

i can't understant where racism comes in either in the nick Jacko but for sure it is not just an ordinary nickname given to a person. There is a malicious connotation attached to it. You kno.. as in Jacko Wacko. It wasnt coined by the press as a term of endearment for Michael but definitely a snide remark full of sarcasm.

it certainly doesnt sit well with me because it diminishes respect for michael jackson. it isnt the way to treat an icon. here's michael's sentiment:

'm not Jacko, I'm Jackson... 'Wacko Jacko' - Where did that come from? Some English tabloid. I have a heart and I have feelings. I feel that when you do that to me, it's not nice. -Michael Jackson

There's no justification for calling Michael Jackson "Jacko" whatsoever. He doesn't like it and it hurts him.

You should not say he's Jacko. I'm not a Jacko, I'm Jackson! Yeah, wacko jacko.. where does that come from? Some English tabloid. I have a heart and I have feelings. I feel that when you do that to me. It's not nice. Don't do it. I'm not a wacko. - Michael Jackson

Jacko is degrading to him, no matter what anyone says or what culture dictates what. HE doesn't like it. No one here likes to be disrespected, right? So why call him something that he hates?

I'm offended by it. Don't like it at all. Blah!

I think I need to clarify something, I personally don't think anyone here or any other fans etc for that matter call Michael "Jacko". I certainly don't call him Jacko, and don't know many folks who do.

I was just nosing about the differences in culture and language.

But this does strike me as interesting because to give a nickname or a shortening of a name, is considered a sign of affection/respect here.... yet as mistermaxx says above, it's calling a grownman out of their own name. So I'm going to assume, that maybe nicknames in the states is more of something you might give a child, and that when you are an adult like a right of passage, people show you respect by calling you by your full name. Like moving from "master Jerry" to "Mr Jerry"

So my questions now is, do people from the states get offended by the likes of me, who would change your name? even if t's done in affection? Like calling Gary "Gazza" instead?

m obviously not from the states so i'd leave it to u folks to whom this question is directed:p

however, i don't think it matters if ur from the states or not. it really depends on what ur motive is or what motivated u to give a person a nickname. certainly, the media calling Michael "jacko wacko" is not motivated by their 'fondness' for michael but an attempt to make him a laughing stock by further accentuating his "perceived" eccentricities.

jacko per se may not mean anything but it is almost always paired with wacko and that changes it

I think I need to clarify something, I personally don't think anyone here or any other fans etc for that matter call Michael "Jacko". I certainly don't call him Jacko, and don't know many folks who do.

I was just nosing about the differences in culture and language.

But this does strike me as interesting because to give a nickname or a shortening of a name, is considered a sign of affection/respect here.... yet as mistermaxx says above, it's calling a grownman out of their own name. So I'm going to assume, that maybe nicknames in the states is more of something you might give a child, and that when you are an adult like a right of passage, people show you respect by calling you by your full name. Like moving from "master Jerry" to "Mr Jerry"

So my questions now is, do people from the states get offended by the likes of me, who would change your name? even if t's done in affection? Like calling Gary "Gazza" instead?
Once again LJ, the point that you are missing here is that name is not regarded in any way, shape, form or fashion as a nickname, which in my mind is a name of endearment. It is simply not seen that way here.

m obviously not from the states so i'd leave it to u folks to whom this question is directed:p

however, i don't think it matters if ur from the states or not. it really depends on what ur motive is or what motivated u to give a person a nickname. certainly, the media calling Michael "jacko wacko" is not motivated by their 'fondness' for michael but an attempt to make him a laughing stock by further accentuating his "perceived" eccentricities.

jacko per se may not mean anything but it is almost always paired with wacko and that changes it
The question was 'Do you get offended by the name J*acko'. The reason why it does matter geographically is that in Europe and in other parts of the world, the shortening of the surname 'Jackson' is commonly 'J*acko', similar with other names. So the question that peeps who don't live in the States started asking was why it appeared that peeps from the States seemed highly offended by the term and that is how we have gotten to this point in the discussion.

The question was 'Do you get offended by the name J*acko'. The reason why it does matter geographically is that in Europe and in other parts of the world, the shortening of the surname 'Jackson' is commonly 'J*acko', similar with other names. So the question that peeps who don't live in the States started asking was why it appeared that peeps from the States seemed highly offended by the term and that is how we have gotten to this point in the discussion.

The answer is...for quite a long time (and this is STILL happening, by the way!) is that whenever we saw the word "Jacko", it was ALWAYS preceded by "Wacko". So now, we are conditioned to think "Wacko Jacko" whenever we see the word "Jacko".

My question to YOU is this - why do people from other countries insinuate that their version of "nicknames" ("Jacko" is not a nickname by the way - it is OFFENSIVE) is benign and non-controversial? I think many of the nicknames for other celebrities such as Becks is disrespectful too! Use of the name "Becks" implies that you know the man personally enough to use a nickname for him! I DON'T KNOW David Beckham or Michael Jackson personally, so I will use either Mr. Beckham or Mr. Jackson respectively. This is known as PROPER ETIQUETTE. Something that obviously is NOT being taught in todays world.

The way I see it - "Jacko" is NOT a nickname. It is a hurtful, disrespectful term that is used over and over again and is totally un-called for. Most fans living in the United States hate it. You got your answer...

Once again LJ, the point that you are missing here is that name is not regarded in any way, shape, form or fashion as a nickname, which in my mind is a name of endearment. It is simply not seen that way here.

Hmmm... I think I am on LJ's side here. I also consider it a nickname. A mostly negative one for sure, but a nickname non the less.
I think the key is in the way it is used or who gives it to him, we all know MJ has more (less flattering nicknames) like Smelly, Doodoo which do not seem to be bothering him? Only those were given to him by friends/famliy and not by tabloid.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I think I am on LJ's side here. I also consider it a nickname. A mostly negative one for sure, but a nickname non the less.
I think the key is in the way it is used or who gives it to him, we all know MJ has more (less flattering nicknames) like Smelly, Doodoo which do not seem to be bothering him? Only those were given to him by friends/famliy and not by tabloid.
I didn't know that we were taking sides. I was merely pointing out that in the United States, it would not be considered a nickname, that's all.

The answer is...for quite a long time (and this is STILL happening, by the way!) is that whenever we saw the word "Jacko", it was ALWAYS preceded by "Wacko". So now, we are conditioned to think "Wacko Jacko" whenever we see the word "Jacko".

My question to YOU is this - why do people from other countries insinuate that their version of "nicknames" ("Jacko" is not a nickname by the way - it is OFFENSIVE) is benign and non-controversial? I think many of the nicknames for other celebrities such as Becks is disrespectful too! Use of the name "Becks" implies that you know the man personally enough to use a nickname for him! I DON'T KNOW David Beckham or Michael Jackson personally, so I will use either Mr. Beckham or Mr. Jackson respectively. This is known as PROPER ETIQUETTE. Something that obviously is NOT being taught in todays world.

The way I see it - "Jacko" is NOT a nickname. It is a hurtful, disrespectful term that is used over and over again and is totally un-called for. Most fans living in the United States hate it. You got your answer...
I'm not sure that I can answer your question Linda as I'm from the States, but the way it has been explained is that this is a common way of shortening surnames in Europe.

Thus J*acko is a nickname in Europe.

It is not considered a nickname in the U.S.

yes but even though it may be a nickname in europe, Mj has made it pretty clear that he doesn't wanna be called jacko in ANY respects.

He doesn't wanna be called Jacko in America, in europe, in africa, in asia, in Iceland, in Never Neverland, in Hoo-ville, in Capricus Analomy in the sea of Space, in Captain eo's SHIP, in Club 30, in Disneyland, on tour, not on tour, when he's in his gold pants, in the Twilight Zone, in Gula Gula Island, in Bahrain, in the hotel, in the studio, in his jet, In the Closet, in his SUV, on top of his SUV, or in the CLUB! :lol:

So there's no reason to use it. It really doesn't matter if its not offensive to a group of people...lol. to MICHAEL, its offensive. And since I care about the guy, I really don't like it when people refer to him as such cuz i KNOW he finds it offensive.

Last edited:
yes but even though it may be a nickname in europe, Mj has made it pretty clear that he doesn't wanna be called jacko in ANY respects.

He doesn't wanna be called Jacko in America, in europe, in africa, in asia, in Iceland, in Never Neverland, in Hoo-ville, in Capricus Analomy in the sea of Space, in Captain eo's SHIP, in Club 30, in Disneyland, on tour, not on tour, when he's in his gold pants, in the Twilight Zone, in Gula Gula Island, in Bahrain, in the hotel, in the studio, in his jet, In the Closet, in his SUV, on top of his SUV, or in the CLUB! :lol:

So there's no reason to use it. It really doesn't matter if its not offensive to a group of people...lol. to MICHAEL, its offensive. And since I care about the guy, I really don't like it when people refer to him as such cuz i KNOW he finds it offensive.
I agree. At the end of the day, it's MJ's opinion that really counts. While I personally hate it and am offended by it, he has clearly stated that it bothers him.

In all of the places you mentioned! :p

as a matter of fact, yes our "nicknames" are benign and non controversial, and not something evil, as you are implying by using words such as "insinuate"
just because our way of speaking is different doesn't mean we are evil or that we mean evil by using a shortened version of a word or name. In fact if you find it offensive etc then a holiday to Australia might be incredibly horrifying. Imagine you're asked if you'd like "to come ova on saturdie arvo for a cuppa?"
Because that is how we speak...
(translation: would you like to come over on saturday afternoon for a cup of tea or coffee?)

I know I'm playing devil's advocate in this thread by taking the thread a little off topic in regards to discussing nicknames as opposed to just discussing whether we find the word offensive.

I know we as fans find the word offensive, I find it offensive too when used to address Michael. Not just because he doesn't like it and because it rhymes with wacko or anyt of the other reasons mentions, but also because it doesn't fit him. The nickname "Jacko" to me is the big bloke working on the farm, of the guy who plays center half back for the local footy team.

I'm merely trying to develop some kind of understanding between different members about the different ways in which people speak and perceive things :) because some people aren't aware that something that sounds offensive in one place... might not elsewhere. For example... If i called you "a silly bastard" ... you would probably be shocked and offended and ready to come and hit me one. Whereas here the comment is used to describe someone fondly of being silly. It's more in the way it's said than what it looks like in text too :)

and for the record.... I do have proper ettiquette and don't just randomly go up to people and start calling them by a nickname I make up. and whenever I speak with someone who isn't a mate, I use "sir, miss, Mr etc"

blegh it's 5am I probably shouldn't be trying to explain this whilst half awake.

you'll either understand and "get" what I'm saying :lol: or we'll just have to agree to not let me post any more :yes:

This is a good thread. ^_^

My opinon; I've come to the conclusion that it is just simply a nick-name. However, having said that, it does all depend on the context that it is used in.

Like L.J. has stated, 'Jacko' is seen by some as just a short form of the name Jackson, yet in a friendly association. For example; if you were to say, 'Yeah last nite Jacko and I went to that party. We had a great time, although I have to say HE MADE that pary! It wouldn't have been even half the fun without the dude." Now that's used in a postive tone.

On the other hand, if you say something like, "Yesterday Jaco was seen shopping with his kids on Rodeo (sp?) Drive. Huumm, maybe he was looking for a ***********." (I won't make up something ignorant, we've all seen enough garbage by the media so we'll just assume that the next part is negative.) THIS past example is more offensive to me, simply because the name "Jaco" is used to mock the person, to make fun of. The previous one was a positive statement.

Also, I think the main reason why Michael does hate this short form of his name, is not for the name 'Jacko' itself, it's for what usually follows behind it, 'w***o.' When you say the name 'Jaco,' you're already expecting the next word to come along. Michael is so used to hearing the two put together, that he anticipates the word 'wa**o' immediatley after hearing 'Jaco.' I think this is another reason why the name offends him.

In the end, if the man doesn't feel comfortable hearing that name, it shouldn't be used. ;)

if I remember correctly .. I think the name was 1st used by an Australian journalist so it COULD rhyme with wacko...

if I can find the article on the this guy .. Iwill post it..

and I wouldn't be surprise if that guy is related to Murdoch..(of course I have no proof of this)...

Last edited:
We All KNOW - Michael Don't like it!
So, what for this stupid mess about? :huh:

Last edited:
I hate the term Jacko. It's sounds stupid, and it was made up by The Sun newspaper in 1986. I have no idea why some fans use Jacko as part of there screen names on fan sites.

Also Michael said in a 1997 interview with Babara Walters that he hates the nickname Jacko. Michael Jackson something like "I'm not a Jacko, it's Jackson", and I agree with him.

Back