Do you think anyone can be bigger then Michael Jackson is / was ?

This is not about who is the best musically. The question is in regards to fame and NO one alive today even comes close to Michael's success or super stardom he achieved at the height of his career. There is a difference between people like Justin, Beyonce, Usher, etc. and Michael. These are artists that are popular but they are not superstars or megastars on the level of Michael. Now, many people will argue that Elvis or The Beatles were bigger, but most people would agree that Michael is one of the biggest stars that ever lived. It would be stupid to deny that regardless if you like him or not.

With music sales continuing to go downhill and the music video no longer being as vital as it once was, how on earth can ANYONE in this day & age come close to being bigger than Michael Jackson in terms of sales or popularity? Some of you need to be realistic 'cause it WONT happen. At least not in our lifetime. Do some of you even know how HUGE Michael was in his day? It was insane! We will NEVER in our lifetime see anyone as big as Michael Jackson. It's been almost 30 years since Mike's career took off and skyrocketed and we still haven't seen anyone who has come close to him, it just wont happen. I'm not gonna say it wont happen ever now because of course it could, but it would wont happen anytime soon. The thing some seem to forget is that one reason why Michael was so huge is because he connected with people of every age, background, religion, etc. Look at footage of one of his solo concerts or when he was on the Victory tour with his brothers, you will never see a more diverse audience. You'll see little kids in the audience and you'll see older people and everyone in between. There is not a single person around today who's music and image connects with so many different people of all backgrounds to that extent. What was going on with Michael was TRULY something special. It had never been seen before and it really did seem like he did have the whole world at his feet during that time. Anyway, the age of the true superstars are over. The last superstars we had were MJ, Prince, Madonna, Whitney, etc. Only person who has become very big recently in terms of stardom is Britney Spears, but still not even she is as big as Madonna or Michael at their peaks. I truly think the days of the superstar are over.

Last edited:
Britney Spears, Madonna, Chris Brown, and of course Janet (only to name a few)....came after Michael and they're huge. Household names. But not as big as Mike...not quite. It's just that...they didn't have quite the mania surrounding them (though I grew up in the Britney era and I have to say, people went nuts over her and there was a lot of mania around her). I think she's as popular/more popular now than Madonna, honestly.

And Michael has had a longer career than the young ones Chris and Britney...I think Britney's pretty lazy now when it comes to her career, but just give Chris Brown some time...he's working hard. I am in no way a fan of Chris Brown's, but I can see his work ethic...and when you have that, you can only go places.

This is not about who is the best musically. The question is in regards to fame and NO one alive today even comes close to Michael's success or super stardom he achieved at the height of his career. There is a difference between people like Justin, Beyonce, Usher, etc. and Michael. These are artists that are popular but they are not superstars or megastars on the level of Michael. Now, many people will argue that Elvis or The Beatles were bigger, but most people would agree that Michael is one of the biggest stars that ever lived. It would be stupid to deny that regardless if you like him or not.

With music sales continuing to go downhill and the music video no longer being as vital as it once was, how on earth can ANYONE in this day & age come close to being bigger than Michael Jackson in terms of sales or popularity? Some of you need to be realistic 'cause it WONT happen. At least not in our lifetime. Do some of you even know how HUGE Michael was in his day? It was insane! We will NEVER in our lifetime see anyone as big as Michael Jackson. It's been almost 30 years since Mike's career took off and skyrocketed and we still haven't seen anyone who has come close to him, it just wont happen. I'm not gonna say it wont happen ever now because of course it could, but it would wont happen anytime soon. The thing some seem to forget is that one reason why Michael was so huge is because he connected with people of every age, background, religion, etc. Look at footage of one of his solo concerts or when he was on the Victory tour with his brothers, you will never see a more diverse audience. You'll see little kids in the audience and you'll see older people and everyone in between. There is not a single person around today who's music and image connects with so many different people of all backgrounds to that extent. What was going on with Michael was TRULY something special. It had never been seen before and it really did seem like he did have the whole world at his feet during that time. Anyway, the age of the true superstars are over. The last superstars we had were MJ, Prince, Madonna, Whitney, etc. Only person who has become very big recently in terms of stardom is Britney Spears, but still not even she is as big as Madonna or Michael at their peaks. I truly think the days of the superstar are over.

See, I don't agree with this. Britney was HUGE. And Chris Brown right now...I swear everywhere I go people talk about him. Just yesterday I walked by these two girls saying, "I love how Chris Brown is doing doublemint gum commercials" (lol). I laughed at that, but whatever. I don't think Rihanna has any talent, but she's doing the whole "superstar" thing like her little boyfriend Chris Brown. Madonna, like Rihanna, are musically talentless, but they know a thing or two about MARKETING. Britney of course, too.

Rihanna and Chris Brown are the only two young/new acts that I can even call "superstars" at the moment. Really, Chris Brown...but if there had to be a female I'd say Rihanna.

Oh wait...Beyonce's young and she's still huge. She's definitely a "superstar". OK, so maybe there are three. lol

Ain't nobody better then Michael musically or artistically and I could argue that point all day.

And like cinnamon pointed out, this is about fame. Jesus Christ doesn't count. We're talking modern history, and Michael is technically more famous then Mozart, MLK and all those guys.

And Michael's vitiligo has nothing to do with this, by the way, since he was already the most famous human being on the planet by the mid-80s.

Chris Brown and Britney aren't half as famous as Michael. Michael's got the kind of fame where remote villages in Africa totally cut off from the rest of the world know who he is or have heard of him. Chris Brown isn't even known outside of the US.

Think about this. They did a study a few years back in which it was determined that Michael is the most famous human being in history, with over 99% of the world's population being aware of who he is.

Last edited:
Maybe somebody will be someday but not anytime soon in my opinion. I don´t see any artist right now that I think can be as big as MJ.

Hi there,

Do you think their will be an singer/performer/producer/musician that can be bigger then M.J. is / was ?
Be honest.

Take Care

NO !

Why would anyone not be honest about something that will never happen. No one will ever be bigger than Michael Jackson. Besides popular music has lost it's edge and importance, music will never play an important role in youth culture as it did from the 1950's to the 1980's (and some extent the 90's). The combinations of Michael unique talent for being a genius of a singer, dancer, songwriter, producer and music video visionary will never be topped. Even stars like Madonna whom I dislike will never have another female pop star as big as Madonna. And that's what I mean that popular music of any genre is not as important as it used to be.

I agree, well said !!!

See, I don't agree with this. Britney was HUGE. And Chris Brown right now...I swear everywhere I go people talk about him.

Oh wait...Beyonce's young and she's still huge. She's definitely a "superstar". OK, so maybe there are three. lol

Britney was huge, but not even half as huge as Michael Jackson. She also wasn't anywhere near as big as Madonna.

Chris Brown is huge for teenagers mainly in the USA, but he's not a huge superstar and not even as famous as Justin Timberlake who is huge, but not even as big as George Michael was in the 1980's.

Beyonce his huge, but still mainly famous for her Destiny's Child music and I think the public are starting to see how overrated she.

Last edited:
well, I think this query all depends on who you are asking. when Mike was in his era and the mania was begginning ... if you asked Beatles or Elvis era fans the same thing about them, they would more than likely say "Never." While if you asked the Michael Jackson era teens and other fans, they would yell that Michael was going to surpass that prior fame and possibly had already. The same could be said for the teens and pre-teens of today, there are kids that feel Hannah Montana/Miley Cyress is the be all and end all in Pop Music. Likewise, Chris Brown or JRT fans probably feel the exact same way... not unlike the way Michael Jackson fans felt in his prime.

Will someone surpass or match his success ?? Everything is relative ... In my opinion, no. I will never be able to look at someone in the same light that I do Michael. Now someone else might possibly be able to see another artist in the same light as they see Michael... their answer would be, "sure, someone will achieve that success."

To be fair, I don't see Michael as having reached the same level as Elvis or the Beatles. All of them had their moment and each was a completely different level of fame.

How is Muhammad Ali's ranking a diss to MJ? :rollin:

Before Michael, Ali clearly was the MOST famous man on this planet not just for his boxing but for his humanitarianism and activism. When he told people he didn't wanna fight at a country that didn't talk slack about him like our countrymen did him, he became bigger than life, when he changed his name from Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali, he became bigger than life.

Shoot, Muhammad Ali was one of the first boxers to perform well overseas, he boxed in London, Germany, Russia, etc. during the sixties, he even visited Africa and came back an international celebrity. After his ordeal with the Army avoiding that draft, he was the most wanted celebrity in the world. So when he made his boxing comeback (after the Supreme Court overturned his conviction and he got a license to fight in Georgia, I believe) against people like Jerry Quarry and Joe Frazier, his fame just grew.

After his legendary fights with Frazier and George Foreman in Manila and Zaire, he became THE man of the '70s. His fame extended to a cartoon show at one time, a variety show at another, and countless covers devoted to him on SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. He became a legend after the Foreman fight quite frankly.

Before Ali (or even Elvis or the Beatles), no other celebrity was as big.

In musical terms, no other solo artist was big as Elvis Presley in terms of how he shook up the world in the fifties and came out of nowhere in Mississippi to do so, and then to sell the records he did and have a lot of people all over the world watch him, it was magnanimous. Then his death in 1977 started to attract all this attention.

Of course we know how popular the Beatles got after just one year in America!

Now when Michael Jackson first arrived, he was simply seen as a rhythm and blues performer who had a pop polish thanks to his tenure in Motown Records. He began to get big after "Off the Wall" but when he put "Thriller" out, he became, like Ali and Elvis, that bigger than life type of celebrity.

Right now, the three most famous men on the planet are:

1.) MJ
2.) Ali
3.) Elvis

I'll let you argue on what order.

Rihanna and Chris Brown are not superstars lol. They are popular, but look at their sales and overall worldwide popularity. They don't come close at all. Their music is pretty much for the younger crowd and that's something people keep missing when it comes to Michael and his stardom. Like I said before one of the reasons why Mike was so big is because he connected with people of all backgrounds and ages to such an extent that had never been seen before. You can't just connect with (mainly) one group of people like Rihanna and Chris Brown do and expect to last. Young people's tastes especially are fickle and change often, which is why those two are going to have a hard time sticking around for a long time but I like them both so I wish them both the best of luck. I'm just being realistic. They are popular for "now". They are what's in right "not" but I don't know of anyone who thinks of them as being really big stars. and i'd be suprised if they lasted in this business long. I'd say Beyonce or Britney are are the only really big stars of today.

I was gonna say, anyone who thinks Chris Brown or Rihanna are as popular or as big as Michael, just check out their less then stellar record sales.

But whatever... It's Michael, then Muhammad Ali, then Princess Diana, that's what's been determined through polling and research. The Beatles are huge, but only as a unit, individually, none of them rank beyond superstar status. Elvis is huge, but I know he isn't as world wide known as Michael is.

Rihanna and Chris Brown are not superstars lol. They are popular, but look at their sales and overall worldwide popularity. They don't come close at all. Their music is pretty much for the younger crowd and that's something people keep missing when it comes to Michael and his stardom. Like I said before one of the reasons why Mike was so big is because he connected with people of all backgrounds and ages to such an extent that had never been seen before. You can't just connect with (mainly) one group of people like Rihanna and Chris Brown do and expect to last. Young people's tastes especially are fickle and change often, which is why those two are going to have a hard time sticking around for a long time but I like them both so I wish them both the best of luck. I'm just being realistic. They are popular for "now". They are what's in right "not" but I don't know of anyone who thinks of them as being really big stars. and i'd be suprised if they lasted in this business long. I'd say Beyonce or Britney are are the only really big stars of today.

What you said right there. If MJ was just famous as a pop-star, his fame wpuld have faded already, but he connects to people's heart. he touches the soul and his music is HEALING. That is whjy MJ is so big. Don't be fooled. All the major celebs in history does that too.:D

I understand your point but wasn't my question .
His name is known because of what he did that was and is still shocking ; that includes his appereances in the media for MJ as a person himself ; the fact he turned from black to white is probably one of the biggest reasons why he is worldwide known because nobody ever saw that before and I believe he has vitiligo so I'm not hating.
But that wasn't really my question ; and Muhammed Ali is a diss to MJ he isn't that popular in comparing with MJ What you should've said was Coca Cola .

My question was do you think anyone can be bigger then what he did ( I mean his music , videos , tours , etc... )
That's what I'm interested in xD

Take Care

"The Fact he turned from black to white is probably one of the biggest reasns why he is worldwide known because noboy ever saw that before". Are you serious wth this statement? I don't wanna laugh at you. Thats NOT why mj is worldwide known. I can name many reasons why he's well known worldwide and turning from black to white is NOT one of the reasons. That just sounds stupid. Before vitilago MJ was known worldwide, he was the biggest childstar ever , then came THRILLER and if u didnt know him after THRILLER u knew him then WORLDWIDE and SPACEWIDE. VITALIGOnothing to do wth VITALIGO. People had never seen that before (THRILLER). Ya looks good making that statement. lmao

I was gonna say, anyone who thinks Chris Brown or Rihanna are as popular or as big as Michael, just check out their less then stellar record sales.

But whatever... It's Michael, then Muhammad Ali, then Princess Diana, that's what's been determined through polling and research. The Beatles are huge, but only as a unit, individually, none of them rank beyond superstar status. Elvis is huge, but I know he isn't as world wide known as Michael is.

I forgot about Princess Diana but yeah she's right up there as far as the biggest pop culture icons of all time are. I think Elvis to some degree is popular worldwide but the only reason why it never seemed that way because he was forced not to go as far as Canada and Hawaii by his manager and he was stationed in Germany but that was it. But they have Elvis impersonators overseas though, so I'd say he's up there if not as much as MJ, lol.

"The Fact he turned from black to white is probably one of the biggest reasns why he is worldwide known because noboy ever saw that before". Are you serious wth this statement? I don't wanna laugh at you. Thats NOT why mj is worldwide known. I can name many reasons why he's well known worldwide and turning from black to white is NOT one of the reasons. That just sounds stupid. Before vitilago MJ was known worldwide, he was the biggest childstar ever , then came THRILLER and if u didnt know him after THRILLER u knew him then WORLDWIDE and SPACEWIDE. VITALIGOnothing to do wth VITALIGO. People had never seen that before (THRILLER). Ya looks good making that statement. lmao

I missed that! Ooh, that's just... ugh... because that's like saying Diana Ross wasn't big at all but she was one of the biggest female artists of the whole world and she is definitely a proud black woman as Michael is a proud black man and they both became big worldwide figures.

STOP! In the name of love! :lol:

Oh he's up there alright. He's in the top five. But from what's been determined, like literally over 99% of the world knows who Michael is, which is scary.

Oh he's up there alright. He's in the top five. But from what's been determined, like literally over 99% of the world knows who Michael is, which is scary.

Yeah that's why I said BEFORE MJ, lol.

Like a lot of people knew and KNOW Elvis but a whole lot of people DO know about Michael, ya know? I always say those two would always battle it out for top supremacy of popular music worldwide just because of their images and different musical styles. It doesn't get really big after these two.

Yeah, in terms of musical icons, they're the top two, in terms of fame. I just think in terms of recognition, having at least heard the name and actual awareness of who they are, Michael edges Elvis out.

There's only ONE Michael Jackson
The fact that has surpassed the likes of Elvis and the Beatles before him speaks volume, the fact that hes selling records to this day and outselling all the current artist's speaks even louder.
Someone like Michael Jackson only happens ONCE in a lifetime, hes the only artist to come close to selling a billion records word wide, something that the likes of Amy Winehouse, Chris Brown and Justin Timberlake can only dream off.. And it's not only just about selling records, hes made a difference to the world with his creativity and humanitarian efforts, his legacy is the King, and there is only ONE king.. Michael Jackson.

I agree :yes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't nobody better then Michael musically or artistically and I could argue that point all day.

And like cinnamon pointed out, this is about fame. Jesus Christ doesn't count. We're talking modern history, and Michael is technically more famous then Mozart, MLK and all those guys.

And Michael's vitiligo has nothing to do with this, by the way, since he was already the most famous human being on the planet by the mid-80s.

Chris Brown and Britney aren't half as famous as Michael. Michael's got the kind of fame where remote villages in Africa totally cut off from the rest of the world know who he is or have heard of him. Chris Brown isn't even known outside of the US.

Think about this. They did a study a few years back in which it was determined that Michael is the most famous human being in history, with over 99% of the world's population being aware of who he is.

I don't think you even read my post, but whatever.

I said, give Chris time, I said he's working hard, so give him time...you'd have to wait and see if he could attain Michael's level of fame (if, fame is important, which I guess it is to most of you here...moreso than talent).

NO !

Why would anyone not be honest about something that will never happen. No one will ever be bigger than Michael Jackson. Besides popular music has lost it's edge and importance, music will never play an important role in youth culture as it did from the 1950's to the 1980's (and some extent the 90's). The combinations of Michael unique talent for being a genius of a singer, dancer, songwriter, producer and music video visionary will never be topped. Even stars like Madonna whom I dislike will never have another female pop star as big as Madonna. And that's what I mean that popular music of any genre is not as important as it used to be.

I agree, well said !!!

Britney was huge, but not even half as huge as Michael Jackson. She also wasn't anywhere near as big as Madonna.

Chris Brown is huge for teenagers mainly in the USA, but he's not a huge superstar and not even as famous as Justin Timberlake who is huge, but not even as big as George Michael was in the 1980's.

Beyonce his huge, but still mainly famous for her Destiny's Child music and I think the public are starting to see how overrated she.

lol whatever, Britney was still huge. I'm not even a Britney fan and I know that. And as far as Beyonce, most people don't even care about Destiny's Child anymore. Beyonce was the main event of Destiny's child anyway. She was the star in the group in most people's eyes. Sorry, but it's true. Kelly Rowland and Michelle, and everyone else who was in the group...their careers are NO WHERE NEAR as successful as Beyonce's. Like Michael with the J5/the Jacksons. He was clearly the star, and he stuck out and had a successful career. Like Justin with N'Sync. He was clearly the star in the group (hence, the lead singers who are chosen to be lead singer for a reason), and had a succesful career.

I never said Rihanna and Chris Brown are ANY WHERE NEAR as popular as Michael. Uggh!!

Anyway, Newsflash, the music industry has changed. No one, not Michael, not Madonna, not Britney, not Janet, is able to sell records like they sold ten, fifteen years ago. It's just not going to happen. I honestly don't believe it will ever happen again.

People are not selling albums anymore. Not even the biggest stars. The money for these artists is in digital sales, songwriting, producing (if they produce), and touring. And of course, other endeavors (such as designing fashion lines and perfumes, and endorsing doublemint gum, vitamin water, covergirl, and what not).

Album sales don't even matter anymore...albums don't sell. The music industry has changed. Period! Record labels and artists have to adapt to the new format. Digital sales, ringtones, downloads, whatever they can do to get their money...because if you're an artist relying only on physical album sales, you're not going to make it. Yesterday's 1 million copies sold is today's 400,000.

i hope you know that Mike cares more about the music than his ego? and so should his fans, but whatever.

Well unfortunately, this thread is 100% about ego. I suppose that's all people care about anyway. It's a battle of "who's the most famous".

Hitler is famous.

Yeah, because Britney was sooooo deep and connected to a world audience with "Oh baby baby, how was I supposed to know"

ROFL!!!

I think you need to give artists like these....TIME. It took Britney time to come into her own. It will take Chris and Rihanna time to come into their own. It took MICHAEL time to come into his own!

Well the thread IS about who the most famous is and people are merely countering your arguments because they don't agree. No need to get defensive or accuse anyone of thinking popularity if more important then talent. I think Chris Brown and Britney Spears are so mediocre in terms of talent that I am absolutely baffled as to their popularity.

What's more, the very fact that you highlighted that records don't sell nearly as well as they used to lends more weight to the argument that the era of superstardom is over. There is far too much oversaturation and over-exposure of todays stars for any of them to break through as bigger then the rest. We constantly are being force fed a new act, exactly the same as the last one, every year or so, and it creates an atmopshere not condusive for superstardom.

Bigger than Mike? Nope! Not on this side of Heaven.

Well the thread IS about who the most famous is and people are merely countering your arguments because they don't agree. No need to get defensive or accuse anyone of thinking popularity if more important then talent. I think Chris Brown and Britney Spears are so mediocre in terms of talent that I am absolutely baffled as to their popularity.

What's more, the very fact that you highlighted that records don't sell nearly as well as they used to lends more weight to the argument that the era of superstardom is over. There is far too much oversaturation and over-exposure of todays stars for any of them to break through as bigger then the rest. We constantly are being force fed a new act, exactly the same as the last one, every year or so, and it creates an atmopshere not condusive for superstardom.

OK, Ms./Mr. "My mood is AGGRESSIVE", whatever you say.

Anyway, albums don't sell anymore, but this has nothing to do with fame. Like I said, Hitler never sold any albums, but he's famous. Or maybe I should say "infamous". Like someone else said, Muhammad Ali is famous...he never went platinum selling albums. Album sales does not determine "fame" or popularity.

These are new artists who still need time to develop, to be come so-called "superstars". I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but not even Michael was a world-known superstar when he stepped out as a little kid with his brothers. They were pretty famous, sure. But Michael's true world-wide status didn't happen until Thriller.

No, I don't think there will be a huge star like Michael Jackson. Reasons? Nowadays people could make a number one hit and they are famous, but they don't have a story like michael.

Michael came to this world and show the people at an age of 5, that he could move and sing like James Brown.
Then he became the leadsinger of the Jackson five and showed the world they needed boybands.
In 1971 Michael showed the world that he could do a solo. He began evolutioning himself to a World star.

There are no artists today who didn't had a childhood. Timberlake, chris brown, usher, they all could enjoy their childhood.
That's what I like when michael sings, he put emotion in his singing, I don't feel an emotion when all these people above are singing.

There are ofcourse other good singers, but Michael Jackson will always be the biggest;)

OK, Ms./Mr. "My mood is AGGRESSIVE", whatever you say.

Anyway, albums don't sell anymore, but this has nothing to do with fame. Like I said, Hitler never sold any albums, but he's famous. Or maybe I should say "infamous". Like someone else said, Muhammad Ali is famous...he never went platinum selling albums. Album sales does not determine "fame" or popularity.

These are new artists who still need time to develop, to be come so-called "superstars". I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but not even Michael was a world-known superstar when he stepped out as a little kid with his brothers. They were pretty famous, sure. But Michael's true world-wide status didn't happen until Thriller.

It seems like you're the one with the attitude problem. I've been nothing but calm. Don't be so defensive.

Album sales DO have something to do with popularity and fame. The three biggest music acts ever also happen to be the three biggest selling acts ever. It is often an idication of ones world-wide appeal and thus recognition. You totally missed my point that it is over-saturation and over-exposure, due to things like the digital age, which makes these stars today basically non-descript and unexceptional, meaning there's nothing to make them stand out. For that reason, they won't ever achieve superstardom.

It seems like you're the one with the attitude problem. I've been nothing but calm. Don't be so defensive.

Album sales DO have something to do with popularity and fame. The three biggest music acts ever also happen to be the three biggest selling acts ever. It is often an idication of ones world-wide appeal and thus recognition.

And, who exactly, Ms./Mr. Agressive, are the "three biggest music acts"?

And I'll say it again, you do not have to SELL ALBUMS to BE IMMENSELY FAMOUS.

What the hell is your probelm? Nevermind, how old are you anyway?

The three biggest musical acts of all time, The Beatles, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

Back