Earthquake in Chile

JMie

Guests
Breaking News

9:09am UK, Saturday February 27, 2010

Tsunami After Deadly Earthquake Hits Chile

Adam Arnold, Sky News Online
At least six people have been killed after a huge earthquake struck the Chilean coast, causing buildings to collapse in the capital Santiago and triggering a tsunami.

//CREATE PLAYLIST var playlist = new Object(); playlist.id = "Latest_Video"; playlist.defaultMediaId = 'item1_id'; playlist.items = new Array(); var contentObject = new Object(); contentObject.fileSize = ""; contentObject.type = "video/x-flv"; contentObject.medium = "video"; contentObject.url = "http://static1.sky.com//feeds/skynews/latest/flash/ACT-BB-SA-CHILE-0820-UD-270210.flv"; contentObject.duration = "1:30"; var mediaObject = new Object(); mediaObject.title = "Major Earthquake Hits Chile " mediaObject.description = "" mediaObject.playerUrl = "http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/A-Huge-Earthquake-Hits-Southern-Chile-Causing-Blackouts-And-Powercuts-In-The-Capital/Video/201002415561072?lpos=video_Article_Body_Copy_Region_0&lid=VIDEO_15561072_A_Huge_Earthquake_Hits_Southern_Chile_Causing_Blackouts_And_Powercuts_In_The_Capital"; mediaObject.thumbnail = "/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/Feb/Week4/15561050.jpg"; mediaObject.content = contentObject; mediaObject.rating = "0"; var item1 = { title: 'Major Earthquake Hits Chile ', guid: '2204225', author: '', description: '', pubDate: 'Feb 27, 2010', enclosure: [], media: mediaObject } playlist.items.push(item1); // END CREATE PLAYLIST var flashvars = { settingsUrl: "/sky-news/app/skynewsflash/data/config.xml", auto_play: "false", unique_id: "15561008", attrib_url: "http://news.sky.com", ad_channel: "2169867", ad_alias: "pre_skynews_skynews_Home_World_News", tracking_account: "DM530320KARC", playerHeight: "225", playerWidth: "400", brandedPlayBtn: "false", channel_key: "News", embed_src: "http://news.sky.com/sky-news/app/skynewsflash/OBU_Player_30.swf", type: "ila", smoothing: "true" }; var params = { allowfullscreen : "true" }; var attributes = { id: "obuPlayer", name: "obuPlayer" }; swfobject.embedSWF("/sky-news/app/skynewsflash/OBU_Player_30.swf", "flashcontent", "400", "225", "9.0.115", "../swf/expressInstall.swf", flashvars, params, attributes); function getFlashMovie() { if (navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1) { return window["obuPlayer"]; } else { return document["obuPlayer"]; } } function playerIsReady() { getFlashMovie()._loadPlaylist("", playlist); }

The quake, which measured 8.8 on the Richter scale, shook the city for about a minute and a half.
There were also power cuts in the capital, which is about 200 miles away from the quake's epicentre.
That was close to the town of Maule, and happened at a depth of 36.9 miles.
The epicentre was also 75 miles from Chile's second biggest city Concepcion, where more than 200,000 people live along the Bio Bio river.
Chilean President Michelle Bachelet announced the death toll - and warned it could rise.
She also said parts of the country were without basic services and called for calm.
Simon Shalders, who lives in Santiago, told Sky News: "There was a lot of movement. The houses were really shaking, walls were moving backwards and forwards, and doors were swinging open.
"The power is still out here. There's quite a few choppers flying around in Santiago I suppose checking out the worst-affected areas."
He added: "The new buildings in Santiago are designed to withstand fairly strong quakes and they probably held up pretty well.
"Santiago has got a history of earthquakes and basically there's not a lot of old construction in Santiago because of these earthquakes.
"They have fallen down and been rebuilt. They've all had their turns and they build them up again."
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said: "Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated.
"It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicentre and could also be a threat to more distant coasts."
Tsunami warnings have been issued for Chile and Peru and less-urgent tsunami watches are in force for Ecuador, Colombia, Antarctica, Panama and Costa Rica.
Bruce Presgrave from the US Geological Survey told Sky News: "Earthquakes of this size can cause substantial damage and casualties over a fairly wide area.
"This is much bigger than the Haiti earthquake but is in a more sparsely populated area."
He went on: "The latest quake is along what would be considered part of the Pacific 'ring of fire'. It's a very active seismic zone.
"It's just north of the area along the Pacific coast of Chile where the largest earthquake recorded in the 20th century occurred.
"That was the 9.5 magnitude event in 1960. There was substantial damage and casualties in Chile. It also produced a Pacific-wide tsunami that did damage and caused some casualties in places such as Hawaii and as far as Japan."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...r_Scale,_Hits_Concepcion_And_Capital_Santiago

I hope our members from Chile and other South American countries are okay!!! :angel:

This is awful. :( Thinking of our members there, hope they're all safe and well.

They say it might be even worse than Haiti............
Someone in our radio said it's 50 times bigger than in Haiti, I don't know if that's possible?! This happened deeper than the Haiti one though..
My friend's friend is in Chile as an exchange student, I hope she's alright.. and everyone else there too of course.

Oh gosh, not again. This is sad. I hope everybody and everything is alright. I hadn't heard about this.

Worse than Haiti? Oh my. :no:

:angel:

God not again! i know its Nature but will it ever end, R.I.P. to those who died in the Earthquake

Ok this is freaking me out. Everything started with the Tsunami in Srilanka few years ago, I had a pen-pal from there and I never heard from her after that incident. :( I'm hoping for the best, but a couple of years have passed and I still dont know what has happened. Anyways...

Do y'all think we are actually closer to the "end?"! When ever i watch the "end of the world" movies, this is what happens...it starts at one place...then continues in other places...

My grandma is always praying and telling me and my whole family to pray for the world...and that maybe if we pray hard enough, God will get us through whatever he has planned. This world is so materialistic that people are destroying other people for $$$. It is the worst thing that could ever happen. It happened to Michael, and he was the kindest, purest and loving person i've ever known...:heart:

My prayers is with them.

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Ok this is freaking me out. Everything started with the Tsunami in Srilanka few years ago, I had a pen-pal from there and I never heard from her after that incident. :( I'm hoping for the best, but a couple of years have passed and I still dont know what has happened. Anyways...

Do y'all think we are actually closer to the "end?"! When ever i watch the "end of the world" movies, this is what happens...it starts at one place...then continues in other places...

My grandma is always praying and telling me and my whole family to pray for the world...and that maybe if we pray hard enough, God will get us through whatever he has planned. This world is so materialistic that people are destroying other people for $$$. It is the worst thing that could ever happen. It happened to Michael, and he was the kindest, purest and loving person i've ever known...:heart:

My prayers is with them.

L.O.V.E.
Romi
It is a bit scary that these catastrophes just keep coming, of course it's part of the nature but still.. and there's still lots of bad things we're expecting.. :(

I hope the tsunami that might come of this isn't that bad as 4 years ago..

My thoughts are with everyone there. They're also having very bad aftershocks, some as big as 6.9. On BBC News 24 they are talking to a reporter who's working out there and she's experiencing tremmors and aftershocks on the phone as she speaks! :O

I hope our members from Chile will let us know soon that they and their families are okay.... I know PCR is from Chile...

It is a bit scary that these catastrophes just keep coming, of course it's part of the nature but still.. and there's still lots of bad things we're expecting..

yeah, it just doesn't seem to stop, does it? things keep coming one after another. the nature is angry. :(

I just got a call from a friend of mine in Hawaii about this. Said a tidal wave is hitting them in one hour or less. He called me to warn me but Im wishing him the best out there. :(

I hate earthquakes. This one was huge!!

I hope our members from Chile will let us know soon that they and their families are okay.... I know PCR is from Chile...

yeah, it just doesn't seem to stop, does it? things keep coming one after another. the nature is angry. :(

I also thought of PCR. :(

It's terrible. The death toll is rising constantly.
I am praying for all over there. :angel:

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Chile. The same goes for the other countries that will be directly impacted, which includes Hawaii -USA. For our MJJC members from Chile and other impacted countries, we are here for you, please know that. :wub:

I'm sending a MAJOR LOVE and HUG to everyone. Once again, we will need to stand strong together to deal with another tragedy :angel:.

Oh no not again... like alot of you my first thoughts were for PCR, please let her be ok. my thoughts are with everyone this is impacting on and please please no more.

I heard about this I just hope everyone is safe...also Hawaii is under a tsunami alert...sad..

Just heard a 14 floor building with possibly 150 people in it has collapsed ... :bugeyed

I'm in shock. I know these are what we call "natural disasters" but I really feel like we are all responsible for the things of recent years. We all need to make big changes to protect the planet. Apart from the big things like this, just look at the weird weather all over the world. It's spring and it's snowing all over the world.

This is a wake-up call for me. I have always been conscious of recycling, pollution, etc but I am going to see what else I can do and ask everyone I know to do what they can to keep their carbon footprint as low as they possibly can.

I really hope the trapped survivors are rescued. I hate to think of people surviving the earthquake only to die of starvation or injuries that could have been treated.

You've got to be f*cking sh*tting me... F*ck...! Damn, this whole world is going to hell isn't it? Good Lord this is too much. Just too much. :no:

God, please help these people! :angel: God save us all!

Back