Good books/Bad books on Michael - Holiday Gifts

I have only just started to read his book. But I noticed his name is in the VIP section for the Dot Portrait of Michael.. it made me a little confused about the relationship he had with Michael and if the book is good or bad...

Yeah, but that just means he signed up to be in the portrait.

He even used the bad name for Michael in an article writen after June. :( Just take a peek at the article titles alone. He was/is trying to perpetuate the "weirdness" myth. That's why his book has "Madness" in the title. There was nothing mad about Michael, nothing weird. But see, that is his angle. :(

Which books come with removable memorabilia (i.e. tickets and such things)???

Which books come with removable memorabilia (i.e. tickets and such things)???

Michael Jackson Treasures by Jason King. I got it this morning as a christmas present. The removable tickets, programmes and posters are very cool and the pictures are beautiful. The text is complimentary to MJ generally but there are inaccuarcies. Apparently in 2004 Debbie Rowe filed court documents saying she was inseminated by an artificial donor-um, that's the first I ever heard of it. And he said that when Michael went pioneering with the Witnesses' after Thriller that Michael got parranoid and really upset when people slammed the door in his face which is completely untrue. Plus he said that Witnesses' sell the Watchtower; they do not sell them, that's a blatant lie. They give them to people for free. But other than that the book's very nice.

Michael Jackson Treasures by Jason King. I got it this morning as a christmas present. The removable tickets, programmes and posters are very cool and the pictures are beautiful. The text is complimentary to MJ generally but there are inaccuarcies. Apparently in 2004 Debbie Rowe filed court documents saying she was inseminated by an artificial donor-um, that's the first I ever heard of it. And he said that when Michael went pioneering with the Witnesses' after Thriller that Michael got parranoid and really upset when people slammed the door in his face which is completely untrue. Plus he said that Witnesses' sell the Watchtower; they do not sell them, that's a blatant lie. They give them to people for free. But other than that the book's very nice.

Thanks for this..........

I have also heard of a book called "Michael Jackson Vault".....is that any good and does it have any removable memorabilia????

I got what I wanted. In the Studio with Michael Jackson! What I enjoy is that it's not just about Michael. That's probably only about half the book. The other half is on Bruce's recording processes. And what the recording industry looks like for the future. I can't wait to delve into it in about a week when I'll be on a bus about 5hrs a day for 10 days. Serious...Reading...Material.

I got that one too this morning for Xmas...My mom got it for me...She says she's probably gonna buy herself one now too! I haven't read it yet...Just a few parts here and there...Seemed pretty decent

I got it too. I think it's great. 95% positive. The fact that it has some minor negativity will likely just allow the general public that read it to accept all the positive things it says, without dismissing it, thinking it's just a sugar coated pro mj book. I loved the replica tickets, programs and things...and the pictures are great too.

Apparently the Finnish version of that Michael Heatley's book is very poorly translated and that it has some factual errors and some weird statements..?

I really like the Thriller poster that they included with the Treasures book I immediatly stuck it on my wall!

I have also heard of a book called "Michael Jackson Vault".....is that any good and does it have any removable memorabilia????

yea it has removable replica items, like jackson 5 concert tickets, a presidential letter ronald reagan sent to michael when he got burned, mj and lisa's wedding certificate, 2004 invitation to neverland ranch, a postcard featuring neverland, pages of the patent-of the shoes to make him lean etc, etc. by the end of the book it got weird with copies of his 8 page Will in testament, and then what was weirder was a copy of his death certificate. ....so didnt need to add those things. but i liked it, i'd add it.

51evjlognlsl500.jpg

There's a good thread about boycotting the new Rolling Stone tribute book here~
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81960

This made me think, maybe we can make up a list of good books and bad books, a list to give people who might be buying us Michael books for the holidays. Very well intentioned peeps may make the error of thinking anything MJ is a nice gift, not knowing we feel passionately about which books to support and which to definitely NOT support. If we could make a list, then we can pass it along with any wish lists we are asked for.

I'll start...

#1 good book~ Moonwalk :)

THE BAD BOOK LIST SO FAR

Be Careful Who You Love: Inside the Michael Jackson Case by Diane Dimond

Freak!: Inside the Twisted World of Michael Jackson by David Perel and Suzanne Ely

J****, His Rise and Fall, Second Edition: The Social and Sexual History of Michael Jackson by Darwin Porter

(The) Magic, the Madness, the Whole Story by J. Randy Taraborrelli

Michael by Rolling Stone Magazine

(The) Michael Jackson Tapes: A Tragic Icon Reveals His Soul in Intimate Conversation by Shmuel Boteach

Michael Jackson Was My Lover by Victor M. Gutierrez

Michael Jackson Unauthorized by Andersen

Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson by Ian Halperin

THE GOOD BOOK LIST SO FAR

Moonwalk
Moonwalker The Storybook
Dancing the Dream
Thriller 25th Anniversary
Opus

Conspiracy by Aprhodite Jones

For The Record 2nd Edition by Chris Cadman and Craig Halstead

In his own words by Catherine Dineen

In the studio with Michael Jackson by Bruce Swedien

Life Commemorative: Michael Jackson by Life magazine

Loving Michael Jackson by Selena Millman

Michael Jackson by Stewart Regan

Michael Jackson Before He Was King by Todd Gray

Michael Jackson King Of Pop by Lisa D. Campbell

Michael Jackson Life of a Legend by Michael Heatley

Michael Jackson Platinum Edition Collector's Vault (by David Lifton?)

Redemption by Hughes

Visual documentary by Adrian Grant

I love Dancing the Dream it is my favorite book ever and Moonwalk simply brilliant. Before He Wa King is a good book and I brought one called Treasures and it is a picture book with heaps of beautiful pictures of Michael.

I have heard that the Vault is better than the treasures....
i have just orderet it!!!
i'm thinking about the treasure.. because theyr structure are very similar....

I have the Vault it was one of my early Christmas presents. But I had just ordered Treasures from Ebay as a birthday present for myself. Which is next Monday I am already going to have a miserable birthday as it is. Because I just hate knowing that I am going to be starting a new decade of my life without Michael in it. My 30th birthday will be spent in bed just trying to forget.

Bad book: Michael Jackson Life of a Legend by Michael Heatley.

Good book: Adrian Grant visual documentary.

What's wrong with Life of a Legend?

I thought it was brilliant.

They got a lot of facts wrong plus the overall tone sounded like they weren't really big fans and the wrong picture isn't an in-joke it's a huge mistake that a real fan wouldn't let happen, it's just more cashing in on the MJ dollar.

lets see...some of the books I like are:

*moonwalk
*dancing the dream
*in his own words
*in the studio with MJ
*For the record
*before he was king
*Conspiracy
*The magic and the madness (1st edition ONLY, not the 2nd or the "whole story" one!)
*oh, I just downloaded the version of Rabbi smelly's book without his commentary, only Michael's words.

I have other books, but I don't feel like going to look at the titles, lol

Let me know if you have any questions about any books and I can clarify to the best of my ability! :)

Okay, so I just finished reading Life Of A Legend. The book was good, imo, but had some facts all wrong. A good book for noob fans. Now, this was actually my FIRST MJ BOOK ever, BECAUSE I never read books. I hate it actually, but reading books about MJ made me like reading books more.

So I ask you this, what should be my next MJ book? I want the best one.

List from 1. Page:

THE GOOD BOOK LIST SO FAR

Moonwalk
Moonwalker The Storybook
Dancing the Dream
Thriller 25th Anniversary
Opus

Conspiracy by Aprhodite Jones

For The Record 2nd Edition by Chris Cadman and Craig Halstead

In his own words by Catherine Dineen

In the studio with Michael Jackson by Bruce Swedien

Life Commemorative: Michael Jackson by Life magazine

Michael Jackson Before He Was King by Todd Gray

Michael Jackson King Of Pop by Lisa D. Campbell

Michael Jackson Life of a Legend by Michael Heatley

Michael Jackson Platinum Edition Collector's Vault (by David Lifton?)

Redemption by Hughes

Visual documentary by Adrian Grant

Last edited:
The Michael Jackson Treasures book is okay but has a negative tone after the Thriller chapter

I wanted to honor both reviews of the book. LauralovesMJ mentioned she did not care for it. But since it seems most here do like the book, and since the author was well intentioned, I will move it to the good book list. :)
There is no doubt in my mind that Geraldine's intentions were good. She's just a *horrible* writer, and sounds extremely ignorant. I don't see how a legal secretary can have such poor writing skills since they have to READ so much.

I can't imagine any credible source taking her seriously considering her poor writing skills and her neglect in getting an editor to edit the book. And comparing Michael to O.J. Simpson made me mad too. :mad:

It's interesting how nearly all of the bad books listed give away the fact that they are negative in their titles already. All, except that Rolling Stone book. There's some word or a little phrase that tells you the book will be negative and/or biased.

I have Dancing the Dream, Moonwalk, Conspiracy and Redemption so far and the list will help me decide which book to get next.

I have the Vault it was one of my early Christmas presents. But I had just ordered Treasures from Ebay as a birthday present for myself. Which is next Monday I am already going to have a miserable birthday as it is. Because I just hate knowing that I am going to be starting a new decade of my life without Michael in it. My 30th birthday will be spent in bed just trying to forget.
Oh hon... I know how you feel, :better: but please don't spend your birthday that way, OR your life. From Michael's poem "A Child is a Song": (Emphasis mine.)

"Each song is a child I nourish and give my love to. But even if you have never written a song, your life is a song. How can it not be? In wave after wave, Nature caresses you - the rhythm of each dawn and each sunset is part of you, the falling rain touches your soul, and you see yourself in the clouds that are playing tag with the sun. To live is to be musical, starting with the blood dancing in your veins. Everything living has a rhythm. To feel each one, softly and attentively, brings out its music.

Do you feel your music?

Children do, but once we grow up, life becomes a burden and a heavy chore, and the music grows fainter. Sometimes the heart is so heavy that we turn away from it and forget that its throbbing is the wisest message of life, a wordless message that says, 'Live, be, move, rejoice - you are alive!' Without the heart's wise rhythm, we could not exist."

If you haven't read "Dancing the Dream" then you might want to order it. You will see into Michael's sweet soul like never before. He was such a poet, such a lover. :wub: I am just amazed at his child-like innocence and beauty. But for sure it will make you feel super close to Michael, and make you feel connected to him still. That is what it does for me anyway. :)

I have the Vault book too and absolutely LOVE it. In some ways I like it even better than the Opus. :yes:

Oh hon... I know how you feel, :better: but please don't spend your birthday that way, OR your life. From Michael's poem "A Child is a Song": (Emphasis mine.)

"Each song is a child I nourish and give my love to. But even if you have never written a song, your life is a song. How can it not be? In wave after wave, Nature caresses you - the rhythm of each dawn and each sunset is part of you, the falling rain touches your soul, and you see yourself in the clouds that are playing tag with the sun. To live is to be musical, starting with the blood dancing in your veins. Everything living has a rhythm. To feel each one, softly and attentively, brings out its music.

Do you feel your music?

Children do, but once we grow up, life becomes a burden and a heavy chore, and the music grows fainter. Sometimes the heart is so heavy that we turn away from it and forget that its throbbing is the wisest message of life, a wordless message that says, 'Live, be, move, rejoice - you are alive!' Without the heart's wise rhythm, we could not exist."

If you haven't read "Dancing the Dream" then you might want to order it. You will see into Michael's sweet soul like never before. He was such a poet, such a lover. :wub: I am just amazed at his child-like innocence and beauty. But for sure it will make you feel super close to Michael, and make you feel connected to him still. That is what it does for me anyway. :)

I have the Vault book too and absolutely LOVE it. In some ways I like it even better than the Opus. :yes:

I have Dancing The Dream book I gotten a few years or so ago. It is one of my absolute favorite books to read. I know I should go back and read it again. But every time I do I just start crying all over again. After just reading one of his poems. But I am still trying I guess. It is just so hard for me though. Especially trying to get over someone that you practically spent almost your entire life loving. I know I will never be fully over him. I just have to learn to find ways of trying to get him off of my mind for a little while. And yeah I know I shouldn't spend my birthday that way. Maybe I won't but right now I really don't know yet.

These are the other MJ books that I have.

Dancing The Dream
Moonwalk
Moonwalker The Storybook
Michael Jackson Man In The Mirror 1958-2009 by Tim Hill
Opus
Michael Jackson For The Record Second Edition Revised and Expanded
Michael Jackson Collector's Vault Platinum Edition
Michael Jackson King Of Pop Lisa D, Campbell
Michael Jackson Treasures
Michael Jackson Unauthorized

Now don't even dare get me started on that last book. I was 15 years old when I had gotten that book. And at that age I should have known better by getting a book that is nothing but tabloid garbage. But I didn't and I just so totally wish I could burn it. But where I live it is not allowed.

Last edited:
I had some extra time in my hands and I looked through the selection of a Scandinavian online store. Here are some that I found, whether good or bad.

The first book, Goodbye Billie Jean: the Meaning of Michael Jackson has its own Facebook group and seems good. There are many contributors to this book. Lorette C. Luzajic has her own website too (http://www.thegirlcanwrite.net/).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goodb...eaning-of-Michael-Jackson/184458007947?v=info

This is a forthcoming publication, probably a photographic book. Does anyone know more?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Neverland-Lost/Henry-Leutwyler/e/9783869300504

The photographer's website:
http://www.henryleutwyler.com/

Was this listed already? Michael Jackson: the Unseen Archives. It seems pretty good also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Jackson-1958-2009-Unseen-Archives/dp/1407587927

Those are the ones that looked potentially good to me. Any insight is appreciated.
Then the bad ones I came across.

This first one Michael Jackson: the Master of Illusion, it has it's own website too, seems to be suggesting that Michael has "inadvertently" created the "illusion" of his death. Hmm...? The excerpts read like a novel...

http://michaeljacksonmasterofillusion.com/

The Resistible Demise of Michael Jackson (come again??) looks bad, even its cover and that silly title. It has one great (one star) review on Amazon.com, where the reviewer suggests a bunch of books to buy instead of that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Resistible-Demise-Michael-Jackson/dp/1846943485

This one, Letters to Michael Jackson, raised a question: how on earth do people like this get their books out?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Michael-Jackson-Karen-Taylor/dp/1403385033

This next one falls into the unclear category. It's called I Can't Believe It! Michael Jackson and a subtitle Stay Strong Michael. It was very hard to make any sense of what this book is about, really. Is it positive? Any ideas?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/I-...an/e/9781425928575/?itm=1&usri=Diane+Perryman

This last one is another puzzle. I was ready to throw this book,
Michael Jackson The Autopsy Is In...It Was Homicide, into the bad book category when I read the synopsis. But the only review is positive. So...? I'm sure this book is very quickly put together at least.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mi...It-Was-Homicide/Phyllis-Jager/e/9780557083640

As I wrote above, any additional insights into these books would be great, though it's pretty easy to tell which ones not to buy (with the exception of those unclear ones, obviously).

It's frustrating because my Web site The Michael Jackson Vault (MJJVault.us) has been around since 2005. This book came out randomly with my site title... Frustrating lol

Back