Hollywood Tonight - Official Discussion Thread

Michael didn't add things just to make up for missing verses.

Well obviously, because he was still here and he was able to finish the songs, so there wouldn't be any missing verses. lol

I don't know why some people have such a big problem with the bridge. Granted, it's not the greatest bridge and MJ would've recorded a much better one, but without a bridge the song would IMO be too repetitive, considering they are repeating the first verse and chorus after the bridge.

Although, I would agree that maybe a rapper or a guitar solo would've been better.

What occurred to me, given the lyrics now you can call "Word to the badd" Jermaine's "Hollywood Tonight" about Michael :D...

You mean is it about LaToya, or what?! Well, it has melody, 'Word To The Badd' lacks it all.

no, "Word to the badd" was a song by Jermaine about Michael, talking not too positive about MJ's hunger for stardom and that he only "cared about No. 1", and although Jermaine "cared like a brother" for Michael it didn't matter, Michael "always played him off"...

Teddey riley on twitter: Ma I don't now based on what's going on. I don't think my mix for Hollywood will be used. I have a hater in the mix.

Oh no...please don't turn this into a Word to the Badd thread. :flowers:

Teddey riley on twitter: Ma I don't now based on what's going on. I don't think my mix for Hollywood will be used. I have a hater in the mix.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. If they're releasing a different mix for the single version, I'm all for it, it just means we have more mixes to choose from.

hes got a good voice :wub:
i havent been in this thread before :no:but i might come back later today to catch up and multi quote on a few peoples posts :D

The bridge is fine for me. If it wasn't there it would just be instrumental for ages and that would make the song seem a bit flat.... or whatever the word is.

Hollywood Tonight was played on the Radio 2 Breakfast Show this week on Tuesday.

It was Richard Madeley and Fiona Philips. After the song, Richard said "Wow that was as good as Billie Jean".

Fiona said "What a genius"

"Incredible"

"So good"

"Amazing"

...and wanted to know why the song wasn't released when he was alive.

Richard then asked "Can I play it again tomorrow?"

"I am blown away by that."

For UK listeners, from 1hr04 in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...Evans_Breakfast_Show_Richard_Madeley_Sits_In/

I really like this track. The lyrics 'lipstick in hand, tahitian tan, in her painted on jeans' are fucking brilliant.The beatboxing, the whistling i love it. Wasn't so keen on the spoken part but it has grown on me. Please god if there is another single release it will be this and not the monstrosity that is 'monster'

Hollywood Tonight was played on the Radio 2 Breakfast Show this week on Tuesday.

It was Richard Madeley and Fiona Philips. After the song, Richard said "Wow that was as good as Billie Jean".

"Incredible"

"So good"

"Amazing"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...Evans_Breakfast_Show_Richard_Madeley_Sits_In/
This is great to hear! In order to maximize airplay, it's critical for the DJ's and programmers to also get behind the song. This is especially the case in the US where it is more difficult for older artist to be heard.

"Incredible"

"So good"

"Amazing"

Thanks for posting that :)

I really like this track. The lyrics 'lipstick in hand, tahitian tan, in her painted on jeans' are fucking brilliant.The beatboxing, the whistling i love it.
Exactly!! :yes: How Michael sings these lyrics, you can clearly feel his energy. Love it :wub:.

(BTW I think it's "Tahitian tanned ;))

I don't know that this was discussed:

Check song from The Jacksons Victory album, The Hurt : it starts 1:20 - listen the Michael's background vocals. It's the end of Hollywood Tonight!

Check song from The Jacksons Victory album, The Hurt : it starts 1:20 - listen the Michael's background vocals. It's the end of Hollywood Tonight!

wow...good find! Never noticed that before!

Wow how the hell did you notice that! :bugeyed It's quite clear now that you said it, though.

wow, that's a really nice find, thank you!

Wow you have a great ear and knowledge of Michael's catalgue to catch that.-

Last edited:

That is a great find, my friend. I agree that you have a nice ear for Michael and his catalog.

Can anyone post a link where I can hear a sample of The Jacksons' "The hurt"? I swear I have it on CD, too... but it's buried so deep in my "vaults" of BDs, DVDs and CDs it would be a pain in the a... to get to it.

Wow, amazing find! :) thanks so much for that! :D

Now the question is, has that been DIRECTLY sampled into HT or was it re-sung by MJ/part of the song already when HT was actually recorded?

I love listening to this on BBC Radio 2 on the way to work in the mornings. :)

"Incredible"

"So good"

"Amazing"

Such a great song. And worthy of all the praise.

Back