Hollywood Tonight - Official Discussion Thread

The spoken bridge is Taryll Jackson.

It was written by Teddy Riley as well as the whistled outro.

The spoken bridge is Taryll Jackson.

It was written by Teddy Riley as well as the whistled outro.

1/2 right..........

..........the whistled outro came from Michael and Brad, whistled by Michael Prince and is on the original demo............

how do you know? Has the demo leaked already?

And how do you mean, is the whistle by Michael or by his son prince or both?

1/2 right..........

..........the whistled outro came from Michael and Brad, whistled by Michael Prince and is on the original demo............

I am 100% sure I've seen or read that Teddy composed the outro, wrote the bridge
and used the choir sample and beatboxing from Michael's vaults (which were not in the original song) to update the production.

Anyway, you are right and what I've heard was most likely wrong.

I need to talk to your father badly. We, the fans, have never really had a chance to hear from anyone (apart from Rob Hoffman) who recorded with Michael Jackson. It would be absolutely priceless. Please.

and used the beatboxing from Michael's vaults (which were not in the original song)

I really hope that's not true. I love the beatboxing in HT and it sounds so perfect I would really be very surprised if it wasn't intended for that song.

MattyJam, really? Honestly I don't think so either. OK, it is nice in the song but you could have put it randomly in so many other songs or MJ mixes etc. At the beginning I thought "WTF they put a one loop beatboxing of Michael over the complete song"...

Radio 2 played Hollywood Tonight this morning. A sign of something?

well this is an amazing song with vile production. It has one of the worst snare sounds i've ever heard in my life, sounds like the cheapest soundcard on a childs computer. The drums need to be fuller. I like the strings on the chorus, creates that rich exotic feeling MJ and riley had in the dangerous opening tracks. But there are too many little melody lines on the high violins that arn't strong at all they just sound like they are desperatly thrown in there. The song itself is so MJ, he finished on that classic major 5th chord before going back to the minor tonic, something he always loved to do, the bassline also transposes up in the chorus a 4th, a less bright sounding version of the same kind of thing it does when it shift up a 5th in the way you make me feel. This is his harmonic style, and you can tell he was hugely involved in the music aswell as lyrics and vocals. But i doubt the production got into more advanced stages, cause it's finished job on Michael is appauling. The bridge is so appauling, and taryl or taj or whoever it is sounds cheesy and a little retarded (sorry guys). They should have just done an instrumental bridge with a DYKWYCA style guitar solo, over some new chords, steve lukather did an amazing job with that one. Fill it with sweep pads and if they needed to use some old addlibbs over it, with autotune on them to match the rest of his vocals. I do like the ending, it's very effective, but i'd further thicken and richen the strings, make them go through a few more chords rather than just inversions. Then fade them out, leaving the whilsting and beat boxing, fade out whistling leaving just beatboxing and end it with one of his breathy 'ah' sounds with added reverb. And the she's hollywood line literally makes me die of cringing, it's appauling, just remove it all together, so uncool. It all seems to obvious, i dunno what riley was thinking with some of this, though i understand he was under a lot of pressure.

Someone get this chick on the job!

(hopes you're a chick haha)

lol i'm a guy aha, what made you think i was a chick. So you agree with my suggestions then? I know it was a little technical.

I'm not sure, I just assumed you were female for some reason. Sorry bout that! :ninja: Yes I agree with you! I studied music up until A Level, so could pretty much grasp what you were saying. I agree with you! :)

Somehow I used similar snare sounds in my productions and remixes already back ten years ago. I love those kind of dry and kinda raw snares. For example I used it in Give In To Me Psychedelic you might find in YouTube. I think that snare sound fits well there with the beatboxing. And that Taryll sound maybe is meant to sound 'retarded'..

Somehow I used similar snare sounds in my productions and remixes already back ten years ago. I love those kind of dry and kinda raw snares. For example I used it in Give In To Me Psychedelic you might find in YouTube. I think that snare sound fits well there with the beatboxing. And that Taryll sound maybe is meant to sound 'retarded'..

i think it's a touch too far though, its way too dry, got no resonance.

There was a cover done recently, it was posted here, can't remember his name, but the bridge was done as a guitar solo. When I heard it I immediatly thought 'this would be so much better than the spoken bridge.' I adore HT but it just screams unfinished which is why I don't agree with it as a single as people would easily pick this up.

There was a cover done recently, it was posted here, can't remember his name, but the bridge was done as a guitar solo. When I heard it I immediatly thought 'this would be so much better than the spoken bridge.' I adore HT but it just screams unfinished which is why I don't agree with it as a single as people would easily pick this up.

love this song also the most of the album? when was it written and recorded?

hope it will be the next single

BTW did you think about the fact Michael could quite relate to that story of this 15 year old girl?

He wasn't playing "hot tricks on men" :D, but he also put so much effort and work on it "no matter what" to reach the top of stardom...

BTW did you think about the fact Michael could quite relate to that story of this 15 year old girl?

He wasn't playing "hot tricks on men" :D, but he also put so much effort and work on it "no matter what" to reach the top of stardom...

It's harder for teenage boy to play any tricks.. Actually it happens a lot what is said in the story. He talked a lot about that with Madonna. But Michael even wasn't like that. It was all about hard work and real talent. Let's say if he had been a female he wouldn't have needed any tricks.

i am sure this has been answered already but i really dont want to look for it on 66 pages ^^ so i simply ask again:

who is the person talking the waaay too long bridge? is it one of the 3T guys?

thanx

What occurred to me, given the lyrics now you can call "Word to the badd" Jermaine's "Hollywood Tonight" about Michael :D...

BTW do you also love the "ah"'s Michael throws in here and there?

e.g. "... her movie star dreams... ah.... ah, she giving hot tricks to men..."

I know it's a small issue, but those little details make me love Michael's style :wub:.

i am sure this has been answered already but i really dont want to look for it on 66 pages ^^ so i simply ask again:

who is the person talking the waaay too long bridge? is it one of the 3T guys?

thanx

Yes, it's Taryll Jackson.

yeah I always Love MJ's ah's!!! heehee! Well, I think (just my opinion) that they did the spoken bridge with the song Dangerous in mind.

I Love This Song So Muuccchhhh!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Just Needed To Write It Down Somewhere XD

Michal's spoken bridges in Dangerous go with the flow of the song though, Michael wouldn't have added to this song in my opinion because it simply doesn't fit.

Michael didn't add things just to make up for missing verses.

Hm strange, I don't have such a problem with that bridge - IMO it's ok and fits somehow.

Back