Hollywood Tonight - Official Discussion Thread

I really, really dislike the opening choir section. It was clearly added in after his passing, Michael wouldn't have wanted it there. The second and third notes are simply pitched down versions of the first one, meaning it was probably an instrument rather than an actual choir like in Who Is It. Shame.

I agree with you :)

this song reminds me ALOT of "who is it"......including the beat boxing and the choir intro...

I really, really dislike the opening choir section. It was clearly added in after his passing, Michael wouldn't have wanted it there. The second and third notes are simply pitched down versions of the first one, meaning it was probably an instrument rather than an actual choir like in Who Is It. Shame.

The reason the opening choir (not really a choir) was left there is exactly because that's what Michael and Brad wanted there, was put there years ago and was left there in respect of Michael. Same goes for the ending.

Sad enough that MJ passed, sadder still that we fans begin to question everything..............

anyone knows what happend to the line "becuase she's only fifteen". the line is printed in the booklet; yet is replaced by "she's headed for the big time, that means."?

What are the lyrics for the chorus at the end? It's not in the booklet.

Something about Greyhound and something something ...our dreams..???:scratch:

I really like that chorus but I could do without the spoken part and hope to God TR doesn't remix it with rap.

I think HT has more commercial appeal for the next single.

What are the lyrics for the chorus at the end? It's not in the booklet.

Something about Greyhound and something something ...our dreams..???:scratch:

I really like that chorus but I could do without the spoken part and hope to God TR doesn't remix it with rap.

I think HT has more commercial appeal for the next single.

"Westbound
Greyhound
To Tinsel Town(?)
To persue her movie star dreams."

The reason the opening choir (not really a choir) was left there is exactly because that's what Michael and Brad wanted there, was put there years ago and was left there in respect of Michael. Same goes for the ending.

Really? Do you have a source or did you read this somewhere years ago?

Sad enough that MJ passed, sadder still that we fans begin to question everything..............

I think it wasn't supposed to criticise the song, it's just an opinion. Now after the "innocence" explanation it at least makes more sense to me.

As a fan, I would also talk about say "She drives me wild" - it's one of my favorite MJ songs, but still I would say it's too repetitive at the end. But it wouldn't be my intention to criticise Michael...

As a fan, I would also talk about say "She drives me wild" - it's one of my favorite MJ songs, but still I would say it's too repetitive at the end. But it wouldn't be my intention to criticise Michael...
I thought I was the only one ;)

I love this song! Michael's vocals are awesome.

Indeed! :yes:

BTW regarding the cut "cause she's only fifteen" line: Is there any source regarding this? Do you thing they cut the line 'cause they thought it was too obscene or do you think Michael cut it himself already?
I mean, IMO there would be nothing wrong with this line in the context of the song.

I thought I was the only one ;)

Hehe :) - so apart from that you do love "She drives me wild", too? I always imagined a videoclip with Michael driving a car and aggressively singing these lines "She's got the look - she's so fine" while a beautiful girl might drive in a car beside him and he's trying to turn her on :cheeky: :smilerolleyes:.

well this is an amazing song with vile production. It has one of the worst snare sounds i've ever heard in my life, sounds like the cheapest soundcard on a childs computer. The drums need to be fuller. I like the strings on the chorus, creates that rich exotic feeling MJ and riley had in the dangerous opening tracks. But there are too many little melody lines on the high violins that arn't strong at all they just sound like they are desperatly thrown in there. The song itself is so MJ, he finished on that classic major 5th chord before going back to the minor tonic, something he always loved to do, the bassline also transposes up in the chorus a 4th, a less bright sounding version of the same kind of thing it does when it shift up a 5th in the way you make me feel. This is his harmonic style, and you can tell he was hugely involved in the music aswell as lyrics and vocals. But i doubt the production got into more advanced stages, cause it's finished job on Michael is appauling. The bridge is so appauling, and taryl or taj or whoever it is sounds cheesy and a little retarded (sorry guys). They should have just done an instrumental bridge with a DYKWYCA style guitar solo, over some new chords, steve lukather did an amazing job with that one. Fill it with sweep pads and if they needed to use some old addlibbs over it, with autotune on them to match the rest of his vocals. I do like the ending, it's very effective, but i'd further thicken and richen the strings, make them go through a few more chords rather than just inversions. Then fade them out, leaving the whilsting and beat boxing, fade out whistling leaving just beatboxing and end it with one of his breathy 'ah' sounds with added reverb. And the she's hollywood line literally makes me die of cringing, it's appauling, just remove it all together, so uncool. It all seems to obvious, i dunno what riley was thinking with some of this, though i understand he was under a lot of pressure.

well this is an amazing song with vile production. It has one of the worst snare sounds i've ever heard in my life, sounds like the cheapest soundcard on a childs computer. The drums need to be fuller. I like the strings on the chorus, creates that rich exotic feeling MJ and riley had in the dangerous opening tracks. But there are too many little melody lines on the high violins that arn't strong at all they just sound like they are desperatly thrown in there. The song itself is so MJ, he finished on that classic major 5th chord before going back to the minor tonic, something he always loved to do, the bassline also transposes up in the chorus a 4th, a less bright sounding version of the same kind of thing it does when it shift up a 5th in the way you make me feel. This is his harmonic style, and you can tell he was hugely involved in the music aswell as lyrics and vocals. But i doubt the production got into more advanced stages, cause it's finished job on Michael is appauling. The bridge is so appauling, and taryl or taj or whoever it is sounds cheesy and a little retarded (sorry guys). They should have just done an instrumental bridge with a DYKWYCA style guitar solo, over some new chords, steve lukather did an amazing job with that one. Fill it with sweep pads and if they needed to use some old addlibbs over it, with autotune on them to match the rest of his vocals. I do like the ending, it's very effective, but i'd further thicken and richen the strings, make them go through a few more chords rather than just inversions. Then fade them out, leaving the whilsting and beat boxing, fade out whistling leaving just beatboxing and end it with one of his breathy 'ah' sounds with added reverb. And the she's hollywood line literally makes me die of cringing, it's appauling, just remove it all together, so uncool. It all seems to obvious, i dunno what riley was thinking with some of this, though i understand he was under a lot of pressure.

Thank you. I knew there was something off with the production, and though I don't understand music terminology, i'm still inclined to agree with you.

Yes.. That's how I roll 8)

Dude...let's produce the next album...:D haha

I totally agree with what you are saying, but still it is my favorite MICHAEL song! It is just so.... Michael. (I know I'm being poetic right! lol) The bad bad production is just too bad. (another great sentence...) but I listen through it and see what Mike would have made it into, if he had ever decided to finish it. Really great upbeat song!

Hollywood Tonight is by far my favourite song on the album.

Granted, Taryll's spoken word "rap" is cringeful and the production sounds a bit dated, but I can overlook all of that... the bassline, the chorus, the beatboxing, the whistling outro... it's easily Michael's best up-tempo song since 1997.

True. I think the song itself is so good though, that no amount of bad production could ever have ruined it completely.

My favourite part is the reprisal of the 'westbound greyhound' verse in the end, so funky!

My favourite part is the reprisal of the 'westbound greyhound' verse in the end, so funky!

I think they really did a great job reusing the 1st verse as 3rd verse and reprising part of the 2nd one like you said.

I don't mind they used Michael's verses twice as I LOVE them... :wub: :wild:

BTW can anyone confirm: The spoken words are from this Tarryl Jackson, member of 3T?:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Taryll-Jackson/125038209299

They sound much more mature to me, but I haven't seen him speak since 10 years though.

People aren't exactly sure. He recorded the original seg but some claim that the vocals we here on the song is that of Teddy Riley. I must admit I'm not sure as I haven't heard either speak for years and I didn't watch the Teddy Oprah interview.

ok thanks... then I'd rather believe it was Teddy... I think Tarryl is a forever 17 year old guy...

Back