It is shocking that Janet's The Best album flopped so badly in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyJam

Guests
It was promoted LOADS. Everytime I turned on the telly I saw adverts for the album and yet it only reached number 28. MJ's album is doing better and that's been out for five weeks now.

It's one thing when you can't sell your new music, but I at least thought her old hits might've shifted a few copies.

Do you think her career is completely dead outside the States?

Janet hasn't had much success in the UK since the early 90s really. I don't know why exactly, she's just never been that popular here. Reading some of the posts about her X Factor performance and the fact not many people really care she's on the posts ranged from 'her stuff is dated', to 'hasn't had a hit in years' to 'she's not Michael.' Janet fans please don't kill me, remember I like her-I'm just paraphrasing what other people have said.

All For You (both the album and the single) went top 5 in the UK. It does seem that post Nipplegate her career has suffered in a major way, both Stateside and especially internationally.

It's a shame. She's making better music than most other popstars around today. I would love to see her have some more success again.

its been dead a long time now.. its like a runaway train.. aint gonna get better or stop dying. She really did have a lot of pr this time around,.. all the Jackson hype she definitely profited from it, the Vma opening, the AmA opening, the selling out she did on her brother in that prime time interview she only got due to her brothers death. Imo she should quit as long as its not too embarrassing for her, she should retire and focus on acting or whatever she's doing. Its only going to get worse for her so for her own sake, she ain't no madonna (who actually aint any better, but she knows how to work it), the best for her would be to retire same goes for J.Lo btw.

All For You (both the album and the single) went top 5 in the UK. It does seem that post Nipplegate her career has suffered in a major way, both Stateside and especially internationally.

It's a shame. She's making better music than most other popstars around today. I would love to see her have some more success again.
all for you was almost 9 years ago, but i agree she's def. more talented than others but believe me, the career is over.
to answer the actual question I cant say I'm surprised it failed, I didnt expect it to perform better.

its been dead a long time now.. its like a runaway train.. aint gonna get better either and stop dying. She really did have a lot of pr this time around,.. all the Jackson hype she definitely profited from it, the Vma opening, the AmA opening, the selling out she did on her brother in that prime time interview she only got due to her brothers death. Imo she should quit as long as its not too embarrassing for her, she should retire and focus on acting or whatever she's doing. Its only going to get worse for her so for her own sake, she ain't no madonna (who actually aint any better, but she knows how to work it), the best for her would be to retire same goes for J.Lo btw.

That's a bit unfair. I'm not a massive Janet fan but she's done some decent stuff over the years and unlike her siblings I don't think she's ever sold Michael out.

Janet's a big star in her own right, particularly Stateside. She's certainly earnt my respect.

^^No. god no! (twinklEE)
first Michael leaving us! and then.. if she would quit music.. concerts.. I would loose her aswell :cry: so selfish thinking but awh!!
I NEED this one artist to look up to..and ONE artist to actually look forward for concerts..albums ++

That's a bit unfair. I'm not a massive Janet fan but she's done some decent stuff over the years and unlike her siblings I don't think she's ever sold Michael out.

Janet's a big star in her own right, particularly Stateside. She's certainly earnt my respect.
what i stated is the truth but we can agree to disagree. I consider Janet as a yesterdays star similar to Whitney Houston, she keeps on trying to hard to be successful again which comes across as desperate you gotta quit when its time too, and time's certainly come for her.
I dont want her to quit b/c she's forced too, I dont want her to become the laughing stock, I dont want the media to ridicule thats why I'm saying she should quit as long as she's still considered top at least in the states.

all for you was almost 9 years ago, but i agree she's def. more talented than others but believe me, the career is over.
to answer the actual question I cant say I'm surprised it failed, I didnt expect it to perform better.

I just figured because of the heavy promo, and because it's a greatest hits album that it might've at least gone top 20.

I can't really see one solitary performance on X Factor changing much though. Mariah Carey plugged the hell out of her awful new single, she was on GMTV, This Morning, X Factor, T4, Lorraine Kelly - and it still barely scraped the top 20!

I just figured because of the heavy promo, and because it's a greatest hits album that it might've at least gone top 20.

I can't really see one solitary performance on X Factor changing much though. Mariah Carey plugged the hell out of her awful new single, she was on GMTV, This Morning, X Factor, T4, Lorraine Kelly - and it still barely scraped the top 20!
mariah is same as janet except she lands occassional hits, but is in a similar phase of her career, same applies to J.Lo

doesnt surprise me shes been washed up for ages...

I'm not surprised Janet's album has flopped here in the UK. Her popularity was never huge like it was in the USA even though she was a very popular artist in the UK from Control in 1986 to Velvet Rope tour in 1998. The whole Nipplegate scandal that was blown way out of preportion by the USA media, does seem to have harmed her career than it should have done. I personally can't see her making a successful comeback musically, because I think the artists and acts that were influenced her from Beyonce, Christina Augliera to Britney Spears have surpassed her popularity wise on a worldwide level and both Beyonce and Christina Augliera can do what Janet does on stage. I'm not a huge fan of Janet but I do own 2 of her albums, and I attended her Velvet Rope tour and think she is a great artist with some brilliant songs. But I just don't think the world misses her when it comes to music, even though I think she's someone the world still likes as a person because she hasn't done anything really scandalous, even that whole Nipplegate crap was hardly offensive calculated or not.

I'm surprised it didn't do better tbh. Shame, because that's a good CD with a lot of good tracks.

what i stated is the truth but we can agree to disagree. I consider Janet as a yesterdays star similar to Whitney Houston, she keeps on trying to hard to be successful again which comes across as desperate you gotta quit when its time too, and time's certainly come for her.
I dont want her to quit b/c she's forced too, I dont want her to become the laughing stock, I dont want the media to ridicule thats why I'm saying she should quit as long as she's still considered top at least in the states.

NO its not the truth...thats solely YOUR OPINION...please do not confuse the 2

Some people would've said the same thing about Michael when he was alive.

Doesn't make it true.

^Co-sign! I couldn't agree with you more MattyJam. Janet is absolutely a star in her own right - an icon for that matter. Some of her videos and dancing have been some of the illest work in the last half-century. She may not have had a super big hit in a while, but I certainly don't think that means her talent is gone. Personally I really like her new jam "Make Me". It's got elements of Mike in it though, so that's a given :p. But still, I feel that she could still come back strong. I really don't think the whole "Nipplegate" thing affected her image that much, but then again I live stateside so I guess I wouldn't know :mello:.

The only thing holding Janet back I think is that she doesn't seem to transcend the R&B/Hip-Hop market much. I could be wrong, but I've always heard Janet more on those stations than the pop ones. Also, her music seems to have gravitated more toward club music in recent years so she just needs to go inside herself and pull out some real, honest songs (and not just sex-oriented ones :scratch:). And she's said that she's doing that on her new album I think, so we may yet still get something awesome from her.

OK guys, just stepping in to remind you to be civil with each other. You don't have to make it personal, that way threads manage to stay open, lol. :p

actually it's Janet's higestes debute in a few years , so it's deffitnly not flopping and not to mention this isn't exactly new material. and the resaon why she hasn't done well in the Uk well she hasn't promoted there since maybe 2004 .

Last edited:
I def wouldn´t think this album would flop..and i didnt know it did until I saw this. I went into the cd store on sat to find the album, but I didn´t even see it anywhere..it was not visible in the store. It´s a shame..but I thought maybe that was only here in NOrway. She is really talented, much more talented then many other artists that´s out there now.

actually it's Janet's higestes debute in a few years , so it's deffitnly not flopping and not to mention this isn't exactly new material. and the resaon why she hasn't done well in the Uk well she hasn't promoted there since maybe 2004 .

Good to hear that it´s not flopping!

tbh i think fans or ppl who are slighty intrested already have deisgn of a decade. and as shes hasnt done anything really since that came out its not surprising to me that the gen public who wouldnt call themselves fans havnt gone out and bought it. as theres been nothing to back it up for the last 10 years. if she had had more success since the velvet rope era and was out there so to speak then more regular music buyers would have prob bought it. shes been out of the mainstream for to long and imo especially in the uk her support base is based alot on mj fans who support her.

i dont know how shes done in the usa with new releases over the years but the music shes put out for a good few years imo has been usa market based and not the sort thatdoes that in european markets unless its a top quality song. to many slow box standard r&b songs that die a death in europe. id love to see her go back to the poppy R&B sound. shes missing a monster song that she had so many of through the janet and TVR eras

tbh i think fans or ppl who are slighty intrested already have deisgn of a decade. and as shes hasnt done anything really since that came out its not surprising to me that the gen public who wouldnt call themselves fans havnt gone out and bought it. as theres been nothing to back it up for the last 10 years. if she had had more success since the velvet rope era and was out there so to speak then more regular music buyers would have prob bought it. shes been out of the mainstream for to long and imo especially in the uk her support base is based alot on mj fans who support her.

i dont know how shes done in the usa with new releases over the years but the music shes put out for a good few years imo has been usa market based and not the sort thatdoes that in european markets unless its a top quality song. to many slow box standard r&b songs that die a death in europe. id love to see her go back to the poppy R&B sound. shes missing a monster song that she had so many of through the janet and TVR eras

Did you ever hear a song called "Enjoy" from her 20 Years Old album?

I swear if that were released and promoted it could've been a massive hit over here.

Did you ever hear a song called "Enjoy" from her 20 Years Old album?
no and thats one of the problems. no real promo for any songs that actually could have done half well. id class myself as a fan but after i bought the all for you abum and hardly got through each song (bar a couple) without flicking through it i didnt buy any of her albums since.maybe if they had promoted songs on there that might have done well then it might have made me and presumably others buy it as i wasnt prepared to spend £13 or whatever it was then on an album that id never listen to

Some people would've said the same thing about Michael when he was alive.

Doesn't make it true.
True but Mike KNEW himself that he was getting to that point where he had to ring it in and focus on other things. Hence the reason why TII was titled "TII"...He meant that. He wanted to go out with a bang, please the fans, and retire from touring still in top form.

no and thats one of the problems. no real promo for any songs that actually could have done half well. id class myself as a fan but after i bought the all for you abum and hardly got through each song (bar a couple) without flicking through it i didnt buy any of her albums since.maybe if they had promoted songs on there that might have done well then it might have made me and presumably others buy it as i wasnt prepared to spend £13 or whatever it was then on an album that id never listen to

I completely agree. No artist can get away with not promoting their music, not even Michael when you look at Invincible's chart performance.

I would call myself a "casual" Janet fan and whilst her more recent work has definately not lived up to her 80s and 90s albums there are always at least a handful of great tracks on every album, which in my mind makes a Janet album an essential purchase.

Still, check out Enjoy. It's got that classic Jackson feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2TwYYCgUb8

Now don't you think that'd could've been huge with a decent video and some promo??

Last edited:
She should follow MJ in releasing albums every once in a while. she's releasing too much too fast. I always believed in MJ's philosophy of quality over quantity. And please dont get upset as I do admire her music also. I think she needs to change the theme of her songs, they are getting to be very redundant. You can't have like 80% of an album dedicated to lovemaking.Honestly. My 2 cents.

I like Janet. I think she needs to go back to make that funky dance music. I am a fan of hers. She will not sell the way she use to because her audience is older and we don't spend money on frivalous things.

This album has already outsold the last. So that's not flopping. Looks like the author made a fool of himself. :(

You guys, I wouldn't call it a flop. It's a greatest hits album and let's remember Janet hasn't had much success in the UK since All for You. This is actually Janet's highest charting since All for You. I'm proud of her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back