John Mayer Slammed for "Racist" Remarks in Playboy

Ok if the guy wanted to say he wasnt attracted to black women he should have just SAID I AM NOT ATTRACTED TO BLACK WOMEN. Big flippin' deal. Everyone, as someone already mentioned, has a preference and if that's his then fine. BUT the way he said it was just...not right and NOT cool. And as others have said he seemed to be 'trying to be witty' and he failed miserably at it. Personally I believe LOVE is colour blind, as it's blind to everything else. Maybe it's me but colour shouldnt matter in an case ESPECIALLY where love is concerned...

Not a big fan of his personality and his music usually leaves much to be desired for me, but yeah...Guy needs to definitely think and get what he wants to say straight before he speaks. Otherwise he'll continue looking like a jackass.

Last edited:
Really Mayer is JEwish? I didn't know that.. whatever he's still ignorant but I agree with you it's a shame all three are disgusting.

I don't believe he is Jewish. The word is he's uncircumcised. I'm not gonna share how I know that but as big of a serial dater that he is, I'm sure you can figure it out how something like that would get out.

Having read more of his interview I realize even further that he should keep his mouth shut. He tried to come off incredibly witty as he often does but this time it was MAJOR fail. The kind of fail you should be shamed of and apologize for (which he has).

Now all he needs to do is keep quiet and keep apologizing for his stupidity if and when it comes up.

Last edited:
mjgif4.gif

Wow.... John Mayer is a douche. He says the silliest things. I understand he was trying to be funny but this time, his comment went a bit too far.

He's a great musician, but I do agree that he needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. Not only did he make those racial remarks, he's also dishing on his exes. He totally disrespected Jessica Simpson by saying she's just a beautiful girl he loves to sleep with while Jennifer Anniston is a woman he can love.

mjgif4.gif

Wow.... John Mayer is a douche. He says the silliest things. I understand he was trying to be funny but this time, his comment went a bit too far.

Sorry...a bit off topic, but AWWWW!! I love Scarecrow Michael! :D :wub: Cute!

And that gif is perfect for this thread! :lol:

Sorry...a bit off topic, but AWWWW!! I love Scarecrow Michael! :D :wub: Cute!

And that gif is perfect for this thread! :lol:

Thanks..

I know... he's adorable, huh? :wub:

I found that posting cute MJ gifs distract people from the negativity. It works like a charm... xD

P.S I love your siggy! Michael is the cutest screcrow ever!

I think people are taking this way to far, I'm sure hes not racist but he could have worded what he said abit better a simple " I'm not attracted to Black Women" would have been abit better :p but i think people are over exaggerating

What a trip..seems he has outgrown his own self love.it dont last long in the music world..unless michael,smokey,stevie..and all the real talent..hey john,write a song about your real feelings/////

It's shocking how much of an imbecile John Mayer can be. He says things that are just completely unnecessary.
That being said, I don't believe he's racist. But I mean WTF? Who says the things he said?!
I find the big problem is that we are still talking about races separate to each other. "So do black girls like you?" Girls are girls are girls, no? All white people don't think the same, and all black people don't think the same. NO HUMAN BEING IS THE SAME AS ANOTHER. COLOUR IS IRRELEVANT! I can't be alone in this?

Honestly, it gets my goat big time! Talking about the races in such a way as JM did in my opinion creates a divisory line no matter what you are meaning to say. I hate that!

Michael Jackson, thank you. You tried to educate the world. Pity more people aren't like you!

To me what matters is that we are all people, and are all part of the race known as..the HUMAN race!

Thanks..

I know... he's adorable, huh? :wub:

I found that posting cute MJ gifs distract people from the negativity. It works like a charm... xD

P.S I love your siggy! Michael is the cutest screcrow ever!

Thank you. :D Yes...so very cute! :heart:

I love Mayer (musically) and at one point had a lot of respect for him, then I read his comments about Michael and kind of backed off because I felt like he kind of implied he was a pedophile and pretty stated he hated him simply for having been accused, which is wrong. It came off to me like him saying, well Michael should be remembered for his music because I can't deny he rocks... but that's all I like him for. Forget everything else.

"Michael Jackson proves, in a really sort of perverse way, that maybe we're not as offended by behavior as we are entranced by music. And think about that. Think about what level of quality you must have to attain to have somebody say, "I know that you're accused of having molested children, but I can't hate you for that as much as I love you for your music." I'm not saying that's right or wrong; I'm saying that it's fascinating. That somebody could be that great. That somebody could have that much of a marriage with your emotions just through music. There's just one Michael Jackson now. We don't have to reconcile the Michael Jackson we love with another Michael Jackson. In a way, he has returned to pristine condition in death. We can be free now for the rest of our lives to love the Michael Jackson we used to love.

And now this? Shut your damn trap Johnny. And I was so excited you were coming to Sydney.

Im totally shocked & surprised @ john's comments, thought he was much better than that!

I love Mayer (musically) and at one point had a lot of respect for him, then I read his comments about Michael and kind of backed off because I felt like he kind of implied he was a pedophile and pretty stated he hated him simply for having been accused, which is wrong. It came off to me like him saying, well Michael should be remembered for his music because I can't deny he rocks... but that's all I like him for. Forget everything else.

"Michael Jackson proves, in a really sort of perverse way, that maybe we're not as offended by behavior as we are entranced by music. And think about that. Think about what level of quality you must have to attain to have somebody say, "I know that you're accused of having molested children, but I can't hate you for that as much as I love you for your music." I'm not saying that's right or wrong; I'm saying that it's fascinating. That somebody could be that great. That somebody could have that much of a marriage with your emotions just through music. There's just one Michael Jackson now. We don't have to reconcile the Michael Jackson we love with another Michael Jackson. In a way, he has returned to pristine condition in death. We can be free now for the rest of our lives to love the Michael Jackson we used to love.

And now this? Shut your damn trap Johnny. And I was so excited you were coming to Sydney.

:doh:

^^^ Mayer is a jerk and overrated, glad I never cared for him. I was shocked to see him perform at the memorial.

^^^ Mayer is a jerk and overrated, glad I never cared for him. I was shocked to see him perform at the memorial.

Me too, why was he even allowed there. :eek: Now if i finally watch the memorial on youtube let me know where his part is so I can skip it. I think that there were more derserving singers that did'nt go to the memorial that deserves his spot. :mat: Or I can use Windows Movie Maker to edit his spot out. :yes: And I liked his song "Waiting on the World to Change".

Poor Jessica Simpson, he is dissing the hell out of her.

Last edited:
I wonder if I'm the only here who finds him funny, even though I don't listen to his music.

Then again, I also find racial humor about white people from Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle funny.

(It's the same thing, btw.)

I wonder if I'm the only here who finds him funny, even though I don't listen to his music.

Then again, I also find racial humor about white people from Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle funny.

(It's the same thing, btw.)
I wouldn't say it's the same thing. One is in a forum where people are aware it's intended to be funny, the other is a musician giving an interview to a magazine.

I wouldn't say it's the same thing.

If this were Chappelle doing an interview for Playboy magazine making some zingers about white chicks, you wouldn't be saying anything at all because it wouldn't create a buzz and chances are you wouldn't even know about it.

One thing I will say is that it was fairly moronic of him to use the N word (even if it was meant to be ironic, which I would say that's the impression I got) publically like that. That doesn't change how funny I find most of the shock and horror this controversy has created when put in perspective. I looked at some other various wacky comments John Mayer has made (about other topics as well) and I can't help but find him to be amusing. If one of my friends was saying the same type of stuff, I would be laughing my ass off. Granted, you're expected to act a certain way when you're a public figure, but it's almost refreshing to see someone go out of his way to establish that he doesn't care, especially in a day and age where people seem to be more easily offended than they've been in a long time. It's annoying.

Last edited:
the man lacks class. he thinks he is smarter than he really is. he tries to sound so intellectual but comes off as a giant wank. i don't think he's racist, he just has a warped sense of how important and wonderful he is and talks himself into corners all the time. What about his warped way of letting the world know HE dumped jen aniston by talking her up and saying how wonderful she is, but by the way I DUMPED HER .. it just made him look like a prawn. And this babble is just cringeworthy. He loves the sound of his own voice too much. Oh and his music sucks.

If this were Chappelle doing an interview for Playboy magazine making some zingers about white chicks, you wouldn't be saying anything at all because it wouldn't create a buzz and chances are you wouldn't even know about it.

I don't think comparing comedians to John Mayer serves to prove your point. Again. one is a comedian... one is a musician. One is a minority, the other is not. Not to say if Chappelle said shit, it wouldn't necessarily be offensive, but there would be an entirely different context for it.

Btw I also found the vile manner Jm spoke about having sex with Jessica Simpson disgusting and a few other remarks about his sex life. I don't care if it were Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock or Michael Jackson! Discussing how good or bad your ex girlfriend is in bed in graphic metaphors for all the world to see is NOT cool and if my ex did that, he'd get a shovel to the face.

Jm is a womanizing pig.

I don't think comparing comedians to John Mayer serves to prove your point. Again. one is a comedian... one is a musician. One is a minority, the other is not. Not to say if Chappelle said shit, it wouldn't necessarily be offensive, but there would be an entirely different context for it.

So if I am a comedian I have a free pass to say certain things during interviews, and if I said that same exact thing in an interview and was not a comedian it would be different? The only difference in that regard is that you know that a comedian is trying to be funny, which isn't really a difference at all since a slightly intelligent person should be able to look at John Mayer's comments and determine that he is also trying to be funny, regardless of whether or not you find him funny.

Even taking the comedian aspect out of it, if a black celebrity who isn't a comedian (ESPECIALLY if this person is a rapper) did an interview for Playboy where he made some perverse comments about white women, it wouldn't really be a big deal. Unless said black celebrity was Tiger Woods, of course.

I don't really buy the "making fun of white people isn't as bad as making fun of black people because African Americans are in the minority" argument, personally, because I'm pretty sure it's just an excuse to be able to freely make cracks about whites. Do you think that when the average person tells a joke which stereotypes Caucasians that they're doing it as some sort of political statement or simply because they find it amusing? Which is understandable since ripping on white people is funny (there's so much to make fun of). My stance on racial humor is that if it's acceptable to make one race the butt of jokes then it's acceptable to do so with any race. You can usually tell when someone is genuinely hateful as opposed to when they just have a warped sense of humor. I call my friend Greg a cracka' ass cracka' and he calls me a terrorist. It's all for L.O.V.E.

Last edited:

One thing I will say is that it was fairly moronic of him to use the N word (even if it was meant to be ironic, which I would say that's the impression I got) publically like that. That doesn't change how funny I find most of the shock and horror this controversy has created when put in perspective. I looked at some other various wacky comments John Mayer has made (about other topics as well) and I can't help but find him to be amusing. If one of my friends was saying the same type of stuff, I would be laughing my ass off. Granted, you're expected to act a certain way when you're a public figure, but it's almost refreshing to see someone go out of his way to establish that he doesn't care, especially in a day and age where people seem to be more easily offended than they've been in a long time. It's annoying.

the patterns over a period of many years, are the reason why people are offended so easily. if you spent many many many years being a target of this kinda stuff, you wouldn't find it so refreshing. nobody likes to have salt put in a wound...not even in a laughing manner. but then, i guess you are an exception to the rule? last time i heard, everybody has a button that can be pushed. if someone found yours, and they pushed it, and you reacted, and then they said...why are you so oversensitive...let me guess....you would be a stand up guy...

of course..i'll never get to see the proof of that.

oh..wait...i just saw the proof that ur buttons can be pushed..in your previous posts, in this thread.

Back