Lady Gaga's new song Born This Way, *Update Post 164*

Re: Lady Gaga's new song Born This Way, hear it here first

A lot of people get compared to Michael. Success wise and popularity etc by the media too. He set high standard in the music business. In the media they say who is the next Michael Jackson? She is a female but she is huge right now. The only thing I feel envy about that her fans still her while us fans don't have Michael here anymore. I wish he was still here. I don't mean to offend anyone. I heard things in the media not just from fans.

I do not live under a rock and I am telling you that the comparisons that are being made are coming from MJ fans at this forum. Sure, there may be a Grandma is Pasadena who possibly compared Gaga to Michael, but it is absolutely nothing the magnitude of what is happening in this thread. It doesn't make sense to compare the two and I stand by everything I say.

Also, to those denying and playing dumb on the "threatened by Gaga" front.... just stop. You're not only insulting my intelligence but your own. Gaga is the it girl right now and none of this would be happening if fans didn't feel a tad threatened. As I said, there is no reason at all to discuss the two and yet it's being brought up left and right and of course in a rudimentary way. Ain't foolin' nobody.

Just knock it off. Sheesh!

musically speaking she's somewhat untouchable right now. Mj fans are always defending michael against her when there's no real need to :(

bingo!!!!!!

Last edited:

I do not live under a rock and I am telling you that the comparisons that are being made are coming from MJ fans at this forum. Sure, there may be a Grandma is Pasadena who possibly compared Gaga to Michael, but it is absolutely nothing the magnitude of what is happening in this thread. It doesn't make sense to compare the two and I stand by everything I say.

Also, to those denying and playing dumb on the "threatened by Gaga" front.... just stop. You're not only insulting my intelligence but your own. Gaga is the it girl right now and none of this would be happening if fans didn't feel a tad threatened. As I said, there is no reason at all to discuss the two and yet it's being brought up left and right and of course in a rudimentary way. Ain't foolin' nobody.

Just knock it off. Sheesh!

Please don't talk to me like that. I never said anything bad about Lady Gaga and I can talk about Michael on a Michael Jackson board.

I think I mentioned in one of my posts that those remarks weren't directed at every Germanotta fan. I said there's nothing wrong with liking her [or anyone else] at a healthy degree. The behaviour becomes a problem when reason is thrown out the window and replaced with some sort of maniacal worship--then, yes, by all means, that sort of behaviour is stupid and the people who act in such a way are nothing but sheep. If you don't fit that description, you have nothing to feel offended about. I'm sorry, but you need to read my statements before you accuse me of doing something I didn't do.

I already voiced my problem with Germanotta--pretending to represent misfits while glorifying all that is presently upheld by society. It's a slap in the face, and quite disrespectful of her. In any case, I'm not the type of person to feel "threatened." By god, I read the Marquis de Sade [now there's someone shocking and revolutionary], I am well-educated and cultured, thus above feeling 'threatened' by such a pedestrian diversion.

I've disrespected no one. I've only told the truth. Like I said in an earlier post of mine, my criticisms are targeted at Germanotta and those 'hardcore' fans who are truly delusional in their quasi-worship of her. Perhaps if you actually bothered to follow the sequence of my posts, they wouldn't sound like "nonsense" to you.

Good day.

The "truth" is clearly very subjective when it comes to you. Thanks for proving my point. Funny how I pegged your response beforehand and you still rolled it out as if it would bring a different result. Nope, still makes you look angry and bitter for no reason at all. Anyone who has put in as much time and effort to discredit an artist such as yourself and whom makes derogatory blanket statements about a fan base... only to try and manipulate and retract their intentions, has a lot of gall! Lady Gaga (not Stephanie Germanotta... are you her Momma?) is indeed a talented young woman ( the depth of her talent can be debated, but she still possesses it) is experiencing a tremendous amount of success but even so it's not hurting MJ or anyone else and so there is no need to keep bringing his name up. What purpose does it serve? As I stated before, it only makes you look angry and bitter. No one likes a petulant fan, now do they? Please adjust your attitude and move on. This is all nonsense.

I know you are a bright person, so let's all just move on and discuss Gaga, the song, her performance, or whatever else you want.... but not MJ this, MJ that. This isn't about Michael Jackson. Why can't some people get that through their heads? It's not a difficult concept to grasp. If you're not threatened in the slightest by "Germanotta" (I'm indulging you) then prove it and provide us with something other than sulking. You've given rebuttal after rebuttal as to why we shouldn't like her, shouldn't listen to her, shouldn't be a fan, how it makes us all look stupid, etc. We get it! We really do. Just stop, or at the very least clean it up a bit and bring it back on track. No one cares if you like Lady Gaga or not. I certainly don't. How many different ways can possibly, directly and indirectly, question her admirers intelligence. Why beat a dead horse?

I've agreed with you on past things, so I'm not trying to pick on you. Just right now, in this here topic, it seems like overkill. Ya know? Live and let live. Let people have their Gaga if they want. What's so wrong with that? You say you don't care and haven't insulted her or her fan base and yet you turn around do just that. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Please don't talk to me like that. I never said anything bad about Lady Gaga and I can talk about Michael on a Michael Jackson board.

I'm sorry to offend. I really don't think I said anything out of line and I never accused you of saying anything negative of Gaga. I don't care if you did. So what? And as far as talking about MJ on an MJ board... Of course you can, but haven't you noticed that this is a Lady Gaga thread and there are different forums for all your discussion needs? MJ has several forum divisions dedicated to him. However, this one isn't and MJ isn't relevant to the conversation. I mean you no disrespect and that's why I'm asking those name dropping MJ for no apparent reason to drop the bull and get on topic.

I'm sorry to offend. I really don't think I said anything out of line and I never accused you of saying anything negative of Gaga. I don't care if you did. So what? And as far as talking about MJ on an MJ board... Of course you can, but haven't you noticed that this is a Lady Gaga thread and there are different forums for all your discussion needs? MJ has several forum divisions dedicated to him. However, this one isn't and MJ isn't relevant to the conversation. I mean you no disrespect and that's why I'm asking those name dropping MJ for no apparent reason to drop the bull and get on topic.

It's okay. I understand what you mean.

It's unbelievable the reactions Gaga is stirring up in people. That in itself is very much like Madonna. She'll never replace the QoP and doubtfully will ever enter her 4th decade in the business like M, BUT, she is well on her way to a long and prosperous career. I haven't experienced this kind of heat in such a looooooooooooong time. Gaga is really doing this thing right. It's amazing how well she's playing her cards and the girls drive is out of this world. The emotions she's creating in people is out of this world. Don't believe me, read this topic. The responses are all over the map. Some love her, others are indifferent and even the haters are a good thing because it means they care and she's doing her job. To hate is to give passion and credibility to the artist in question. All I gotta say is that I'm enjoying the show and can't wait to see what Lady Gaga does next. Very exciting!

As for Gaga's performance, it was very solid and the entrance was hilarious. Who else but Gaga? LOL! Gaga is easily one of the best live singers out there today and her dancing was better than usual. All in all I give her a thumbs up. I'm not sure the new song is as good as her past singles, but it's definitely catchy and is growing on me. We'll see. I probably should be mad that she's ripping on Madonna's image and sound, but for some reason it doesn't bother me that much. I doubt Madonna minds either. I guess it could be seen an homage to the Queen, but then again... she basically attributed the song to Whitney Houston (while accepting a Grammy) which was a head scratching moment. I'm thinking she did that purposely to throw everyone off the trail. Dunno.

I 100% Agree with you Travis. I mean I wrote, one quite short post on here to make a simple point that I felt some people were going a little too far with their personal opinions, and it's promted a member to reply with a lecture. I mean, you could fill a book with the amount of material some members ( who don't actually like her) are posting lol. Nice actually to see Gaga able to impassion people like that. The more I think about the fuss she's capable of causing, the more I'm tending to think perhaps she is a bit of a genius.

I 100% Agree with you Travis. I mean I wrote, one quite short post on here to make a simple point that I felt some people were going a little too far with their personal opinions, and it's promted a member to reply with a lecture. I mean, you could fill a book with the amount of material some members ( who don't actually like her) are posting lol. Nice actually to see Gaga able to impassion people like that. The more I think about the fuss she's capable of causing, the more I'm tending to think perhaps she is a bit of a genius.

Or her PR people are, anyway. -shrugs-

Then again, you could say the same thing about Justin Bieber, and everyone else who is "in" right now--genius publicity. Although I don't like her [or Bieber], I have to be objective and give credit when it's due, and the publicity stunts these celebrities are pulling certainly do get the job done, for now, at least.

Then again, you could say the same thing about Justin Bieber, and everyone else who is "in" right now--genius publicity. Although I don't like her [or Bieber], I have to be objective and give credit when it's due, and the publicity stunts these celebrities are pulling certainly do get the job done, for now, at least.

I actually agree with you Mikage Souji, about Justin Bieber. My only real point was that I felt some of the posts went a little too far. Yip, publicity stunts all round and the simple realisation that times have changed.
I get (and actually agree with a lot of your points). I remember the same kind of reaction when Madonna came out in the 80's and people saying she was a flash in the pan and people wouldn't be listening to her in 10 years. That was over 20 years ago. I'm not saying Lady Gaga will go the distance. That is only something that time can reveal. But I have to give her credit for what she's done in such a short time and the reaction she's caused. I am beginning to enjoy the whole Lady Gaga thing.

I don't think Bieber is a really good example. What stunts is he pulling? Bieber isn't really doing anything extraordinary. His fame and Gaga's fame are on totally different planes of existence. Bieber simply has all the little girls in the world falling in love with him and the parents support it since he has a squeaky clean image. Once his voice changes, cuts his hair, and does something un-pg... it will most likely all be over. Also, unlike Bieber, Gaga actually has a lot of hit songs and the respect of many of her colleagues. I know many adults talk him up, but that's again because they think he's safe and cute. Bieber is a teeny-bopper tween king and nothing more (unless he actually does something in the future besides flip his hair and sing "baby baby baby" over and over again. Who knows. We shall see.

Fame-wise, Justin Beiber is only big in Amercia right? Lady Gaga is on a much much bigger level than that for sure. She's global. Tween is a good word to discribe him. I only know of that 'Baby Baby Baby' song. Does he have anyother songs out? I only seeing him walking in and out of premiers etc. I never actaully see him perform, expect some awards show a few months ago where he mimed 'BBB' and I think he played the drums? Yeah, Gaga is a completely different animal. I do agree with that.

Did you guys see Lady Gaga's interview on Jay Leno last night? It was great. She even addressed the controversy about her song sounding like Madonna's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXYYTO135M

She said that Madonna had sent an email to her... :smilerolleyes: :girl_whistle: Honestly? I do not believe it. -_- I believe that given the polemic on the song... Madonna would be silent, this attitude combines perfectly with the Madonna.

I don't think Bieber is a really good example. What stunts is he pulling? Bieber isn't really doing anything extraordinary. His fame and Gaga's fame are on totally different planes of existence. Bieber simply has all the little girls in the world falling in love with him and the parents support it since he has a squeaky clean image. Once his voice changes, cuts his hair, and does something un-pg... it will most likely all be over. Also, unlike Bieber, Gaga actually has a lot of hit songs and the respect of many of her colleagues. I know many adults talk him up, but that's again because they think he's safe and cute. Bieber is a teeny-bopper tween king and nothing more (unless he actually does something in the future besides flip his hair and sing "baby baby baby" over and over again. Who knows. We shall see.

I didn't say Bieber was pulling any stunts--all I said is that his PR people are brilliant too. They're having him make all sorts of ridiculous things (Bieber nail polish, anyone?) to profit off of his current fame. Although he pulls no stupid stunts like Germanotta does, Bieber's image is everywhere these days, he's out and about with a lot of celebrities, and his mere presence is noteworthy even on channels which aren't directed at a "little girls" audience, such as E! I don't like his music either, and I don't think he'll be around long, but I wasn't talking about his longevity--I was talking about the brilliance his PR people have for basically getting him to be everywhere, and milking his fame while it's hot.

As for "Baby," well, it's on par in the brilliance department with such things as "Let's have some fun, this beat is sick, I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." I don't really see why some people scoff at Bieber as if he was some sort of ridiculous fad, while glorifying the equally "blah" Germanotta, who also happens to be some sort of ridiculous fad. They seem well-matched to me, since neither of them is brilliant in any way, shape, or form.

Germanotta, on the other hand, relies mostly on her stunts for PR, which is a great strategy for now, but a rather poor one for times to come. Yes, some of her colleagues like her, but that doesn't really mean much, since most of them are rather mediocre. Germanotta's actual music is nothing to be impressed over, and most of the hype seems to occur because of her fashion and incendiary [for the common folk of the world] antics. The problem with that is, over the long run, she'll have to keep doing something better than what she did last to keep the press running with stories on her, so that she'll become somewhat of a Lindsay Lohan--more famous for her antics than for her work. As you can see, that's not going over too well for Lohan now. Germanotta, if at all serious about a music career, needs to pay more attention to her work and less attention to...getting attention, really. She'll never be huge because her current fanbase will eventually grow up, get jobs, and move on with their life--and the next 15 minute-er will step up and repeat the process. There's nothing universally appealing or revolutionary about Germanotta. She's with the Rihannas, Ke$has, and Katy Perry's of the world-- here for a bit, popular, but in the end, not good enough to last. I expect her to stick around for a few more years, and then we'll be on to the next thing.

Edit: Good point on the 'safe' Justin Bieber part, I just realized I forgot to make mention of it. However, there's nothing particularly 'unsafe' about Germanotta. We've seen all the sexualization acts/wearing different style of clothing before with other artists in the past, so it's really nothing new, nothing shocking, nothing worth noting. The only people who seem to be shocked by her behaviour are people who seriously don't really get out much. It's nothing outrageous, but it is an immature ("acting out" almost) plea for attention, and a short-term brilliant series of PR stunts.

Last edited:

The "truth" is clearly very subjective when it comes to you. Thanks for proving my point. Funny how I pegged your response beforehand and you still rolled it out as if it would bring a different result. Nope, still makes you look angry and bitter for no reason at all. Anyone who has put in as much time and effort to discredit an artist such as yourself and whom makes derogatory blanket statements about a fan base... only to try and manipulate and retract their intentions, has a lot of gall! Lady Gaga (not Stephanie Germanotta... are you her Momma?) is indeed a talented young woman ( the depth of her talent can be debated, but she still possesses it) is experiencing a tremendous amount of success but even so it's not hurting MJ or anyone else and so there is no need to keep bringing his name up. What purpose does it serve? As I stated before, it only makes you look angry and bitter. No one likes a petulant fan, now do they? Please adjust your attitude and move on. This is all nonsense.

Stefani Germanotta is her legal name, the person she actually is [and not this "Gaga" music industry/PR department cheap commercial invention] thus why I've chosen to use it. I'm not her mother, but I am a citizen of the United States, who has full liberty to address another citizen by her legal name. Why is my choice of name such a big problem, in any case?

I think I've acknowledged that she can sing, and dance. Not exceptionally, but she can, and that's the objective truth. I know she has some degree of talent [I've seen her pre-Gaga performances, and her ballads which actually have value, and although not exceptional either, they definitely beat her Gaga work by a longshot.] The depth of her talent can be debated, this much of what you've said is true. However, she's mediocre when compared to others, and the only reason people bring this up is because she's arrogant. If there is one thing of hers I positively can't stomach, it's her cockiness (possibly because I just dislike arrogant people altogether.) I personally don't like her for that reason, it has nothing to do with feeling 'threatened', as you say. By the way, why would I feel 'threatened' by her? I'm curious as to what your response is to that. What's she going to do, throw one of her outfits at me? If I was another mediocre artist in the music industry, I could entertain that argument. However, I'm en route to becoming a history professor--so Germanotta is truly no competition of mine, thus I have no reason to feel 'threatened' by her.

Truth, to me, is objective. The fact of the matter is, Germanotta has not brought anything new to music (in fact, she's completely sold out to what the masses want, which is understandable because that's how you make money, but it's basically an artistic betrayal to herself), and yet people are still hyping her as if she was something worthwhile. I believe I told you [although you chose to ignore it, to your convenience] that my statements apply only to that specific part of her fanbase whose actions truly deem them to be a little unwell, to put it politely. I'm not blanketing her entire fanbase at all, but I am mentioning the part of it which seems to truly be at odds with reality. The part which likes to set the double-standards of bashing other artists for 'copying' Germanotta, but who furiously lash out at anyone who dares to tell them the truth--that 'Gaga' is basically a conglomeration of other successful artists' tactics and style. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, there's nothing wrong with liking anything in healthy fashion, being a fan, even of Gaga. Her music won't kill you, liking her won't make you any less of a person, etc. but to borderline worship her (or anyone else, because this human phenomenon is not exclusive to her fanbase, but exists in others' fanbases as well) is truly quite stupid, not to mention terrifying.

Well, she's not hurting Michael, that's true. However, I never claimed she was. Others on here have brought on the Germanotta/Michael Jackson comparison, so that doesn't pertain to me (it'd be like comparing the brilliance of a candle to that of the sun, as far as I'm concerned, so the comparison isn't even worth making.) I don't want to speak for anyone, but I speculate their stance is due to the under-appreciation Michael had throughout the later part of his career, even while producing excellent music, as compared to the overhype Germanotta currently has while producing so-so music. That's what I think is behind most of those statements, but I won't say that's it, because I didn't make them. If someone who did wants to tell us their rationale, go right ahead.

However, the 'she's not hurting anyone' can be debated. She's hurting those of us who are social outcasts by claiming to represent us, and actually glorifying the society which steps on all of us by singing of the things they love and appealing to them [hence why she's mega popular.] Something she once said [some speculated that statement regarded Minaj, but since it wasn't confirmed, I won't say it did] about dressing funny not being enough to really be different or something [that's a gross paraphrase there, I'll edit if I actually find the specific statement]...well, has she looked in the mirror lately? That's all she basically does. Her outfits are her only distinguishing factor, were it not for them, she'd be exactly like everyone else as far as themes/style in music go. If she didn't claim to represent misfits while appealing to and being of those who fit in to society, I wouldn't have any personal problems with her, and would probably ignore her, just like I do all the other mainstream artists I don't like. I don't like fake people, what can I say?

Travis said:
I know you are a bright person, so let's all just move on and discuss Gaga, the song, her performance, or whatever else you want.... but not MJ this, MJ that. This isn't about Michael Jackson. Why can't some people get that through their heads? It's not a difficult concept to grasp. If you're not threatened in the slightest by "Germanotta" (I'm indulging you) then prove it and provide us with something other than sulking. You've given rebuttal after rebuttal as to why we shouldn't like her, shouldn't listen to her, shouldn't be a fan, how it makes us all look stupid, etc. We get it! We really do. Just stop, or at the very least clean it up a bit and bring it back on track. No one cares if you like Lady Gaga or not. I certainly don't. How many different ways can possibly, directly and indirectly, question her admirers intelligence. Why beat a dead horse?

I've agreed with you on past things, so I'm not trying to pick on you. Just right now, in this here topic, it seems like overkill. Ya know? Live and let live. Let people have their Gaga if they want. What's so wrong with that? You say you don't care and haven't insulted her or her fan base and yet you turn around do just that. I don't get it.

I don't know why people bring up Michael, I speculated on that above.

Oh, no. Like her, by all means. I said it in the last post, and I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with liking her music, or being her fan, if that's the sort of thing you're into. I indulge mediocre musicians too, like Ke$ha, however, I'm not borderline worshiping her. I'm not accusing anyone here specifically of worshiping 'Gaga,' but I've seen a great number of her fans in other sites [i.e. Facebook, YouTube, etc.] act in ways I can only describe as unreasonable, and be very disrespectful to fans of other people [such as claiming Minaj, Aguilera copied Gaga and are unoriginal, but completely freaking out when someone says Gaga copies Gwen Stefani or Madonna, and is unoriginal--double-standard?] That's why I said, I believe, two or so posts ago, that my statements on unreasonable people of questionable sanity only pertain to the 'hardcore' fanbase, and not just regular fans who have sense enough to acknowledge that, yes, she's talented and they like her work, but no, she's not a demigod. The problem seems to be that Gaga's arrogant statements seem to indirectly encourage those folks, and I don't believe she's doing it on purpose, but she's doing it nonetheless.

As for the song, I was actually looking forward to it. I'm not a Gaga fan, by any means, but I am an objective person, and the bit she did at the VMAs sounded nice, so I was curious to see what the rest of it would sound like. That's the original reason why I came on this thread, actually, because of the "hear it here." I thought it was going to be a ballad, given by the VMA bit, but I was disappointed when it turned out to be some sort of half-hearted dance-y song, which is ill-fitting for a song with actually good lyrics, and an overall good message. Of course, we all know why she chose this avenue--because it's her quick-paced danceable singles that sell. So, I was disappointed that she sold out a good song in favour of sales--this would have been better fitted as a sort of ballad like 'Speechless', which is one of her only beautiful [and under-appreciated] songs. Ballads generally don't make as good singles as the dance tracks do, due to club and radio play, though. I said this whole bit before, though.

Stefani Germanotta is her legal name, the person she actually is [and not this "Gaga" music industry/PR department cheap commercial invention] thus why I've chosen to use it. I'm not her mother, but I am a citizen of the United States, who has full liberty to address another citizen by her legal name. Why is my choice of name such a big problem, in any case?

I think I've acknowledged that she can sing, and dance. Not exceptionally, but she can, and that's the objective truth. I know she has some degree of talent [I've seen her pre-Gaga performances, and her ballads which actually have value, and although not exceptional either, they definitely beat her Gaga work by a longshot.] The depth of her talent can be debated, this much of what you've said is true. However, she's mediocre when compared to others, and the only reason people bring this up is because she's arrogant. If there is one thing of hers I positively can't stomach, it's her cockiness (possibly because I just dislike arrogant people altogether.) I personally don't like her for that reason, it has nothing to do with feeling 'threatened', as you say. By the way, why would I feel 'threatened' by her? I'm curious as to what your response is to that. What's she going to do, throw one of her outfits at me? If I was another mediocre artist in the music industry, I could entertain that argument. However, I'm en route to becoming a history professor--so Germanotta is truly no competition of mine, thus I have no reason to feel 'threatened' by her.

Truth, to me, is objective. The fact of the matter is, Germanotta has not brought anything new to music (in fact, she's completely sold out to what the masses want, which is understandable because that's how you make money, but it's basically an artistic betrayal to herself), and yet people are still hyping her as if she was something worthwhile. I believe I told you [although you chose to ignore it, to your convenience] that my statements apply only to that specific part of her fanbase whose actions truly deem them to be a little unwell, to put it politely. I'm not blanketing her entire fanbase at all, but I am mentioning the part of it which seems to truly be at odds with reality. The part which likes to set the double-standards of bashing other artists for 'copying' Germanotta, but who furiously lash out at anyone who dares to tell them the truth--that 'Gaga' is basically a conglomeration of other successful artists' tactics and style. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, there's nothing wrong with liking anything in healthy fashion, being a fan, even of Gaga. Her music won't kill you, liking her won't make you any less of a person, etc. but to borderline worship her (or anyone else, because this human phenomenon is not exclusive to her fanbase, but exists in others' fanbases as well) is truly quite stupid, not to mention terrifying.

Well, she's not hurting Michael, that's true. However, I never claimed she was. Others on here have brought on the Germanotta/Michael Jackson comparison, so that doesn't pertain to me (it'd be like comparing the brilliance of a candle to that of the sun, as far as I'm concerned, so the comparison isn't even worth making.) I don't want to speak for anyone, but I speculate their stance is due to the under-appreciation Michael had throughout the later part of his career, even while producing excellent music, as compared to the overhype Germanotta currently has while producing so-so music. That's what I think is behind most of those statements, but I won't say that's it, because I didn't make them. If someone who did wants to tell us their rationale, go right ahead.

However, the 'she's not hurting anyone' can be debated. She's hurting those of us who are social outcasts by claiming to represent us, and actually glorifying the society which steps on all of us by singing of the things they love and appealing to them [hence why she's mega popular.] Something she once said [some speculated that statement regarded Minaj, but since it wasn't confirmed, I won't say it did] about dressing funny not being enough to really be different or something [that's a gross paraphrase there, I'll edit if I actually find the specific statement]...well, has she looked in the mirror lately? That's all she basically does. Her outfits are her only distinguishing factor, were it not for them, she'd be exactly like everyone else as far as themes/style in music go. If she didn't claim to represent misfits while appealing to and being of those who fit in to society, I wouldn't have any personal problems with her, and would probably ignore her, just like I do all the other mainstream artists I don't like. I don't like fake people, what can I say?

I don't know why people bring up Michael, I speculated on that above.

Oh, no. Like her, by all means. I said it in the last post, and I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with liking her music, or being her fan, if that's the sort of thing you're into. I indulge mediocre musicians too, like Ke$ha, however, I'm not borderline worshiping her. I'm not accusing anyone here specifically of worshiping 'Gaga,' but I've seen a great number of her fans in other sites [i.e. Facebook, YouTube, etc.] act in ways I can only describe as unreasonable, and be very disrespectful to fans of other people [such as claiming Minaj, Aguilera copied Gaga and are unoriginal, but completely freaking out when someone says Gaga copies Gwen Stefani or Madonna, and is unoriginal--double-standard?] That's why I said, I believe, two or so posts ago, that my statements on unreasonable people of questionable sanity only pertain to the 'hardcore' fanbase, and not just regular fans who have sense enough to acknowledge that, yes, she's talented and they like her work, but no, she's not a demigod. The problem seems to be that Gaga's arrogant statements seem to indirectly encourage those folks, and I don't believe she's doing it on purpose, but she's doing it nonetheless.

As for the song, I was actually looking forward to it. I'm not a Gaga fan, by any means, but I am an objective person, and the bit she did at the VMAs sounded nice, so I was curious to see what the rest of it would sound like. That's the original reason why I came on this thread, actually, because of the "hear it here." I thought it was going to be a ballad, given by the VMA bit, but I was disappointed when it turned out to be some sort of half-hearted dance-y song, which is ill-fitting for a song with actually good lyrics, and an overall good message. Of course, we all know why she chose this avenue--because it's her quick-paced danceable singles that sell. So, I was disappointed that she sold out a good song in favour of sales--this would have been better fitted as a sort of ballad like 'Speechless', which is one of her only beautiful [and under-appreciated] songs. Ballads generally don't make as good singles as the dance tracks do, due to club and radio play, though. I said this whole bit before, though.

I don't know what else to say. Why can't you just let us be (Gaga fans)? You are saying one thing and doing another that is in total contrast. It's confusing. You say we can be fans and like Gaga's music and yet you refute everything about her. You make us fans sound like sheep (did you ever think that maybe some people out there do genuinely find her creative??? aka hardcore fans). Maybe we like fun pop music? Maybe we like Gaga's crazy antics? Ever thought about that? Maybe it ain't gotta be so deep. Why are you so concerned with all this when it really doesn't effect you? You'll say it does, but it doesn't. You choose to be bothered by Lady Gaga. We get it, you don't like her. You don't have to keep beating a dead horse. You said your peace and now let us have ours. Just stop. Please.

P.S. Have you ever thought that the very same things you say about Lady Gaga and her hardcore fan base can be said about MJ and his hardcore fan base? Look at this board, with some, MJ can do no wrong. They'll argue with any detractor, nor matter how minor the criticism, until their blue in the face. With many, he's never made a mistake and is perfect in every single way. He's portrayed very much as a God. MJ's fan base is notoriously defensive of their idol. The things you're saying about Gaga are actually rather hypocritical as an MJ fan. Just something for you to chew on.

Last edited:

Mikage Souji

I am not a Lady Gaga fan but I find your essays about her to be quite embarrassing now. I don't think highly of her but at the end of the day (I know some might find this annoying) I worship the same God as her (she's grew up Catholic) so I can't HATE her and I know she has good points as well as...well, clearly..bad points.

I don't know what else to say. Why can't you just let us be (Gaga fans)? You are saying one thing and doing another that is in total contrast. It's confusing. You say we can be fans and like Gaga's music and yet you refute everything about her. You make us fans sound like sheep (did you ever think that maybe some people out there do genuinely find her creative??? aka hardcore fans). Maybe we like fun pop music? Maybe we like Gaga's crazy antics? Ever thought about that? Maybe it ain't gotta be so deep. Why are you so concerned with all this when it really doesn't effect you? You'll say it does, but it doesn't. You choose to be bothered by Lady Gaga. We get it, you don't like her. You don't have to keep beating a dead horse. You said your peace and now let us have ours. Just stop. Please.

P.S. Have you ever thought that the very same things you say about Lady Gaga and her hardcore fan base can be said about MJ and his hardcore fan base? Look at this board, with some, MJ can do no wrong. They'll argue with any detractor, nor matter how minor the criticism, until their blue in the face. With many, he's never made a mistake and is perfect in every single way. He's portrayed very much as a God. MJ's fan base is notoriously defensive of their idol. The things you're saying about Gaga are actually rather hypocritical as an MJ fan. Just something for you to chew on.

It's the behaviour some of her fans exhibit I'm criticizing when it pertains to the fans. Yes, I have thought that it can be applied to other musicians as well (and it has,) which is why I said in my previous post, in parentheses, "or anyone else." The unreasonable behaviour isn't unique to the Gaga fanbase, however, hers are among the most unreasonable fans there are, as a group, from my observation of their behaviour online and in person.

My refutal of what she seeks to be is simply truth as shown by statistics [aka the amount of her popularity--which is immense, thus, she appeals to the mainstream, and the status quo of society.] When it comes to preferences in music, however, that's all rather subjective, no matter who the artist is--there are some truly talented artists who simply don't appeal at all to me [Think Elvis, or even The Beatles] , and there are some of mediocre stock who really do [Ke$ha, Katy Perry, even some of Miley Cyrus' material, admittedly.] The ear chooses what it likes, without logic. However, assessing talent is different from deciding what you like and don't like, and I'll quote you in saying that the depth of her talent is debatable.

That's exactly what I'm saying, though. It's fine to like, as you put it, "fun pop music," and to find her shenanigans amusing. That's simply enjoying the experience--however, you're not worshiping her and claiming she's 'the most original' thing ever, and bashing other artists for supposedly copying her, whilst freaking out when others point out how your object of worship has copied others. -blink- From what I can tell, you like her music, but you're a reasonable person, and realize that the depth of her talent can be debatable [like you said in a previous post.] You'll have to excuse my tendency to be deep--it's simply part of who I am and I can't help but to over-analyze things at times, resulting in, as you [amusingly] put it, "novels." Moreover, I like to explore how well other people can defend their viewpoints, how well thought-out their rationale is, when it pertains to x subject, even something like Gaga can spark a debate. I like to think about things.

Regarding the Post Scriptum, since I have never personally said that Michael is a demigod and can do no wrong, the way other fans see him is none of my concern, and I won't even go there. I've stated above that borderline worshiping anyone is a pretty terrifying behaviour, no matter who that object is [we're all human, after all.] However, Michael himself didn't encourage that sort of behaviour--he was always humble, he didn't think he was any better than anyone else. Gaga, on the other hand, with all the statements she's made--it's clear that fame's gone to her head, and it's a shame, because it really brings down her work. I wouldn't mind her at all if only she wasn't so arrogant--granted, she's not as bad as Avril Lavigne [another mildly talented yet unduly arrogant artist.] I'll give Gaga props for not rabidly attacking her colleagues, like Lavigne has done in the past--that much I can say. Like other people on here have said, let your performance do the talking for you. I know even extremely talented people like Christina Aguilera have alienated fans with their arrogance and poor remarks on other artists--that's something I personally dislike about C.A. although I'm a fan of hers, but I can admit that she is wrong in criticizing others, and being generally annoying when it comes to her attitude.

Mikage Souji

I am not a Lady Gaga fan but I find your essays about her to be quite embarrassing now. I don't think highly of her but at the end of the day (I know some might find this annoying) I worship the same God as her (she's grew up Catholic) so I can't HATE her and I know she has good points as well as...well, clearly..bad points.

Everyone has good points, and bad points.

As for what you think of my essays, well, they're not essays--they're posts on a public forum. An essay would be meticulously researched, and would not include my personal experiences or opinions. There's nothing embarrassing about them, nor good about them either. They just are what they are.

Everyone has good points, and bad points.

As for what you think of my essays, well, they're not essays--they're posts on a public forum. An essay would be meticulously researched, and would not include my personal experiences or opinions. There's nothing embarrassing about them, nor good about them either. They just are what they are.

It was just an exaggeration to say how long they are.

Mikage, I don't mean to be rude but can you take a hint and stop? Just stop. What more can you possibly say? You said it all in your first post and yet have managed to repeat yourself again and again in agonizing detail. To be honest, I have stopped reading the majority of your posts. Instead, I've been skimming through to get the jist of it - save myself a headache. I hate to shut anyone down like that but it's just too much. You're making my eyes hurt. For real. Now with all due respect, can you do as I asked before? Just let it go and let it be. Thanks.

This is Crap.. I am SO looking foward to the new Britney Album.. this is where she makes her comeback and knocks ohh "GAG"A around.

^ I really doubt that Britney can take attention from Gaga. I'm not a Gaga fan but I wanna see her video for this. Just because she's entertaining.

Mikage, I don't mean to be rude but can you take a hint and stop? Just stop. What more can you possibly say? You said it all in your first post and yet have managed to repeat yourself again and again in agonizing detail. To be honest, I have stopped reading the majority of your posts. Instead, I've been skimming through to get the jist of it - save myself a headache. I hate to shut anyone down like that but it's just too much. You're making my eyes hurt. For real. Now with all due respect, can you do as I asked before? Just let it go and let it be. Thanks.

I just like the debate, but if you want to stop, that's fair enough.

I just like the debate, but if you want to stop, that's fair enough.

I want YOU to stop. At least with the massive walls of text and the way in which you "analyze" Gaga and her fans. I actually don't care about the things you've said, it's that you keep saying it over and over again. Yes, I'd like for you to be more respectful but at this point I'd settle for a few paragraphs.

I want YOU to stop. At least with the massive walls of text and the way in which you "analyze" Gaga and her fans. I actually don't care about the things you've said, it's that you keep saying it over and over again. Yes, I'd like for you to be more respectful but at this point I'd settle for a few paragraphs.

I think I've said all there is to say. Like I said on my previous post, fandom is something which is ultimately irrational no matter who it's attached to, because it depends upon a uniquely human ability to feel for something which isn't personally relevant. There are degrees of it, healthy and unhealthy, which can be applied to anything (I just pointed how some of her fans tend to go down the deep end.) You already know what I think of Gaga herself, so like you said, no point in stressing it.

See you around.

I've not been on this thread for a day or two, and to be honest, it's one of the first threads I've headed for tonight, because the topic and the conversation/debate/posts have been (despite of great length) very interesting. Everyone is making sense in here, in their own way and it's a hot topic. I bet Lady Gaga would love this thread. When is the video due out?

I've not been on this thread for a day or two, and to be honest, it's one of the first threads I've headed for tonight, because the topic and the conversation/debate/posts have been (despite of great length) very interesting. Everyone is making sense in here, in their own way and it's a hot topic. I bet Lady Gaga would love this thread. When is the video due out?

Good question. I have no idea myself, but maybe someone else out there has an idea.

Back