Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon by David Gest (merged)

Re: The Real Michael Jackson - DVD/Bluray Release

But if Tom Mesereau said it's a good documentary.

so is it definitely true that Mez said this?
And he did know about Mark Lester, what he said about Michael's children, and this tabloid scribbler Taraborrelli?

can someone please link me to the trailer?

Brace yourselves folks... There's more of the Jacksons coming your way

[h=1]David Gest and Tito plan tour tribute to Michael Jackson[/h] By: Bang Showbiz
Posted: 09/5/2011 3:30 AM | Comments: 0 (including replies)

bang_1315211006-29-650x1000.jpg
Enlarge Image
David Gest

David Gest, Tito Jackson, Rebbie Jackson are to pay tribute to Michael Jackson with a live tour honoring the pop icon's life.
The TV star and producer will be joined by the late singer's two siblings and Gary, Indiana-born singer Deniece Williams - whose hits include 'Let's Hear It For The Boy', 'Free' and 'Too Much Too Little Too Late' - for a series of spoken word and music shows which will reveal never-before-told details about him and his phenomenal career.
Williams grew up near the Jackson family home and has been friends with the family for nearly five decades.
David came up with the idea for the tour after completing his documentary 'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon' - which focuses on the 'Thriller' star's life from his beginnings with the Jackson 5 through to his tragic death in June 2009 and contains interviews with over 50 of his closest friends and family including his mother Katherine, Motown legend Smokey Robinson and Whitney Houston too name a few.
The reality star exclusively told BANG Showbiz: "There was five hours of footage that didn't make the documentary and 30 minutes of exclusive interview footage with Katherine that has never been seen before. We are going to let fans see a lot of this for the first time when we go on tour.
"It's really dynamite footage that gives an insight into his life away from the spotlight and features unique anecdotes and memories of Michael that have never before been told."
The tour will run across the whole of the UK and is due to start either at the end of this year or in March 2012 and will be directed by Andrew Eastel, who also directed 'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon'.
Deniece and Rebbie will sing intimately with a pianist and Tito will also play his guitar and sing and David promises the evening "will be intimate and feel like a family get together with a Q&A from the audience".
Tito said: "I'm really looking forward to this tour and being close up with the fans. To see the four of us on stage will be a blast and we all have so many funny and wonderful stories about Michael that will leave the crowd laughing, crying and spellbound all at the same time."
David spent 16 months working on the documentary and admits it was both a cathartic and joyous process to honour his lifetime friend Michael.
He explained: "I personally financed this film and solely own it. It was truly a labour of love to be able to pay tribute to my wonderful 'other brother'. I have so many friends who helped make this film a reality and they are all included."
'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon' will be released worldwide on DVD and Blu Ray on October 31 by Universal Pictures.
When pushed on why the documentary won't be airing on television first, David said: "Everyone is asking me the same question, it wasn't my decision. I was hoping it could have been nominated for an Oscar or BAFTA for best documentary if it was screened in theatres or an Emmy if it premiered on TV, it really is that good. This is the total vision of Angela Robertson at Universal Pictures, period. She wanted to put it out on DVD first right before the Christmas holidays because she felt it could become Universal's biggest-selling DVD of all-time because it's about Michael. If she's right she's a genius, if she's not what can I say? We are all praying she does a great advertising job. I'm hoping her other vision to air it on television to mark the anniversary of his death in June is the right one, time will tell."
When quizzed on how much he was paid for the film, David replied: "I can't give out a number but I'm a very happy camper! Universal outbid three other companies to get the film."
Katherine is delighted with the documentary about her superstar son, saying: "I am very proud of David and this truly is his film and story about Michael."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...our-tribute-to-michael-jackson-129250353.html

JMie;3475597 said:

[h=1]David Gest and Tito plan tour tribute to Michael Jackson[/h] By: Bang Showbiz

Enlarge Image
David Gest

David Gest, Tito Jackson, Rebbie Jackson are to pay tribute to Michael Jackson with a live tour honoring the pop icon's life.
The TV star and producer will be joined by the late singer's two siblings and Gary, Indiana-born singer Deniece Williams - whose hits include 'Let's Hear It For The Boy', 'Free' and 'Too Much Too Little Too Late' - for a series of spoken word and music shows which will reveal never-before-told details about him and his phenomenal career.
Williams grew up near the Jackson family home and has been friends with the family for nearly five decades.
David came up with the idea for the tour after completing his documentary 'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon' - which focuses on the 'Thriller' star's life from his beginnings with the Jackson 5 through to his tragic death in June 2009 and contains interviews with over 50 of his closest friends and family including his mother Katherine, Motown legend Smokey Robinson and Whitney Houston too name a few.
The reality star exclusively told BANG Showbiz: "There was five hours of footage that didn't make the documentary and 30 minutes of exclusive interview footage with Katherine that has never been seen before. We are going to let fans see a lot of this for the first time when we go on tour.
"It's really dynamite footage that gives an insight into his life away from the spotlight and features unique anecdotes and memories of Michael that have never before been told."
The tour will run across the whole of the UK and is due to start either at the end of this year or in March 2012 and will be directed by Andrew Eastel, who also directed 'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon'.
Deniece and Rebbie will sing intimately with a pianist and Tito will also play his guitar and sing and David promises the evening "will be intimate and feel like a family get together with a Q&A from the audience".
Tito said: "I'm really looking forward to this tour and being close up with the fans. To see the four of us on stage will be a blast and we all have so many funny and wonderful stories about Michael that will leave the crowd laughing, crying and spellbound all at the same time."
David spent 16 months working on the documentary and admits it was both a cathartic and joyous process to honour his lifetime friend Michael.
He explained: "I personally financed this film and solely own it. It was truly a labour of love to be able to pay tribute to my wonderful 'other brother'. I have so many friends who helped make this film a reality and they are all included."
'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon' will be released worldwide on DVD and Blu Ray on October 31 by Universal Pictures.
When pushed on why the documentary won't be airing on television first, David said: "Everyone is asking me the same question, it wasn't my decision. I was hoping it could have been nominated for an Oscar or BAFTA for best documentary if it was screened in theatres or an Emmy if it premiered on TV, it really is that good. This is the total vision of Angela Robertson at Universal Pictures, period. She wanted to put it out on DVD first right before the Christmas holidays because she felt it could become Universal's biggest-selling DVD of all-time because it's about Michael. If she's right she's a genius, if she's not what can I say? We are all praying she does a great advertising job. I'm hoping her other vision to air it on television to mark the anniversary of his death in June is the right one, time will tell."
When quizzed on how much he was paid for the film, David replied: "I can't give out a number but I'm a very happy camper! Universal outbid three other companies to get the film."
Katherine is delighted with the documentary about her superstar son, saying: "I am very proud of David and this truly is his film and story about Michael."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...our-tribute-to-michael-jackson-129250353.html
Well at least it's not during the trial....

I will not support David Gest's money grab...just like I won't support any Jackson's.

It's so upsetting to see how these people are exploiting his death...the ones that should be screaming about justice are busy plotting scams after scam.

I will refer to MJAN's letter, 5th paragraph:

There is no need for you to attempt to preserve Michael’s legacy. He achieved his globally recognized legacy without you. In a professional sense, preserving his legacy is what the Estate is for, and they are doing just that. The best way you can protect the legacy of this great man, is to behave properly and respectfully, and to pursue your own lives and careers.

Yesterday, I was torn over the tone of the letter...but these folks have proven to be as stubborn as a mule, so I guess, now I believe the tone was appropriate.

Keep in mind, none of these three people have been in contact with MJ in YEARS.....so it is quite easy to see what is their motivation.

Again, I will pass...tired of the schemes.

Last edited:

There will be Q&A from the audience at the concerts......about what?

^ Maybe if they have any question bout mj that they wanna ask ...

JMie;3475597 said:

Enlarge Image
David Gest

I was trying to reserved judgment of this film since I don't know the context of it. The trailer, however, didn't impress and neither did this interview.

First of all, how many 'tributes' is this family sponsoring? I thought the tribute by GL was supposed to be the one and only 'official' Michael Jackson tribute. So, is this tribute fake or something they plan because the GL one is falling apart? It doesn't help that Tito and Rebbie, who are both part of the GL show, seems to be jumping ship and doing their own thing. Also, what is up wit the Jacksons obsession with the UK? It seemed UK or more like all of Europe, has become the breeding ground to all of the Jacksons' schemes. What, do they think because Michael showed out in London that the fans would automatically go all of their ventures too? Or do they believe like GL that the estate only controls Michael's copyright within the US?

Speaking of Rebbie, this girl hasn't had a music career in years. Suddenly after Michael died, she's singing songs and now is now doing shows with her family when she showed no real interest before. How are we not supposed to see this as a money grab? Not saying she didn't love her brother, but of all the siblings she knew him the least and they weren't that close at all. As for David, I loved how he keeps calling Michael his 'other brother' despite the fact he hasn't really communicated with Michael since 2001. He also still knew crap about Michael's affairs since he blamed drugs and Michael becoming a pussy because of them for settling back in 93. Not to mentioning selling to the Tabs about Michael being too weak and ill to do TII despite not even seeing him that entire year. Then again, I guess he fits into that family perfectly. The Q&A should be funny since most of their information won't get past 1993 with bits of 2001 and 2005 thrown in.

However, the main point why I am even posting here is because of David's comment about this documentary nominated for a Oscar, BAFTA, or Emmy if it premiered on TV. I highly doubt this thing will be anywhere near that good. In fact, I doubt it will be different than any other 'documentary' I have seen. There are only so many times you can tell the same J5 and Thriller story and I doubt they will say anything we haven't already heard, except for maybe the stuff from 2001. I also highly doubt anyone from Universal Pictures seriously believe this doc will be the biggest-selling DVD of all-time just because it is about Michael. Otherwise that train wreck tribute they are doing would be flying off the ground, along with all of Jermaine's failed tributes. They also can't screen or released it in theaters worldwide because they don't have permission from the estate. They can't even use Michael's songs outside the J5. I don't think they can even use the Jackson songs since that is own by Sony and Michael owned the rights to all the songs he wrote himself, or co-wrote with Randy. People in general also don't like to buy unauthorized stuff.

Finally, seriously how tacky are these people to try to release this on tv on the anniversary of his death. It is one thing for scum like Ian to do something like this, but for his own family.....just reminds me why I have no respect for this family, especially Katherine. Then again, David was tacky enough to put the 911 call in the trailer to set the mood. Also from what David suggest, this doc was done on the cheep side too.

Rebbie paying tribute? She should start by dumping that vile piece of $hit Stacey Brown.

Wow, just wow. On a positive note, at least Rebbie is doing this as opposed to stealing items from her deceased brothers house, auctioning them and silently watch as that embecile Brian Oxman blames her brothers estate for the sale. Keeping things positive, its good to see Deneice Williams performing again, she has a beautiful voice.

JMie;3475597 said:

David Gest and Tito plan tour tribute to Michael Jackson

By: Bang Showbiz

Enlarge Image
 David Gest

angfw5.gif

Re: Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon - Exclusive Advanced Blueray and DVD Cover Preview

Im looking forward to seeing this should be an interesting watch.

Re: Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon - Exclusive Advanced Blu-ray and DVD Cover Preview

Nice cover

TACKY! TACKY! TACKY!

I certainly will not be supporting this so-called project. I'm about TIRED of the Jackson family and their continuing quest to cash in on all things Michael Jackson. A SPEAKING TOUR, give me a freaking break!

And seriously, what could David Guest say that he hasn't said a million+ times before. The books, the whacked tribute, more books, a zillion interviews. Seriously, what's left to tell.

I also have to laugh at how they keep gearing their various scams towards the UK fans. Like the UK fans don't know what time it is. LOL!

Taking questions: what is Rebbie Jackson going to do, take questions regarding the so-called "interventions?"

Why can't they ALL just go out there and do their OWN thing and leave Michael Jackson out of it. Enough already!

Oh and I guess Tito Jackson is not having too much success with his solo show's so now he has hitched his burrow to David Guest and his TALKING TOUR.

The whole bunch of them are just so embarrassing, in my opinion. Embarrassing and VERY OBVIOUS!

If anyone from here goes to one of the talk shows, they should ask Rebbie Jackson, point blank, about her continued association with Stacey Brown. Like Seriously.

Oh and I guess Tito Jackson is not having too much success with his solo show's so now he has hitched his burrow to David Guest and his TALKING TOUR.

The whole bunch of them are just so embarrassing, in my opinion. Embarrassing and VERY OBVIOUS!

Between David Gest's, 'walkie-talkie,' and performing for the phoney tribute, Tito will have his hands full during the trial.

From Universal Studios Home Entertainment: Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon

THE STORY OF THE 'KING OF POP' FROM THOSE THAT KNEW HIM BEST

BY PRODUCER DAVID GEST FEATURING MOTHER KATHERINE JACKSON, BROTHER TITO JACKSON & SISTER REBBIE JACKSON

AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD NOVEMBER 1st 2011

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Sept. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Prepare to go behind the headlines as Michael Jackson's mother Katherine, brother Tito, sister Rebbie and more than fifty friends, peers and associates share intimate and fascinating stories about the singer's illustrious life. Directed by Andrew Eastel and produced by television star David Gest, Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon is not only a celebration of Michael's life, but also a powerful behind-the-scenes account of the star's early years with the Jackson 5, his rise to global solo-stardom through to the final moments before his sudden death in 2009. Available on Blu-ray™ and DVD on November 1st 2011 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment, the release also features performance footage as well as never-before-seen family photography.

Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon features multiple interviews with Katherine Jackson as she shares her memories about Michael's upbringing in Gary, Indiana, provides insight into his relationship with father Joe, shows her support for her son during the court cases he challenged and gives her thoughts on the life he faced afterwards. Rebbie Jackson recounts the star's childhood, his extraordinary bond with mother Katherine and his decline in later years and Tito Jackson provides an in-depth look into Jackson's history and what his family went through during Jackson's sensational trial in 2005.

BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY™ & DVD
  • ADDITIONAL INTERVIEW FOOTAGE: Katherine Jackson, Tito Jackson, Rebbie Jackson, Smokey Robinson, Dionne Warwick, Jimmy Ruffin, Peabo Bryson and many more!
SYNOPSIS
Producer David Gest has pieced together the most important facts about Jackson's life based on unseen first-hand accounts he has recently recorded with an important group of people who knew the star well. In addition to celebrating his many achievements as the biggest selling artist of all-time, the film will finally answer some of the speculation surrounding Jackson's life.

Also included in the show is rare, in-studio and live television performance footage of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 as well as unforgettable original music from the Motown period by Michael, the Jackson 5 and other artists who Jackson respected and was influenced by. The soundtrack includes more than twenty-one classic tunes.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION (BLU-RAY™):
Street Date: November 1, 2011
Copyright: Film © 2011 David Gest Production, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Packaging © 2011 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Selection Number: 61120339
Picture Format: Widescreen
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Rating: Not Rated
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish & Swedish
Layers: BD-50
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1
Run Time: 157 mins
TECHNICAL INFORMATION (DVD):
Street Date: November 1, 2011
Copyright: Film © 2011 David Gest Production, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Packaging © 2011 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Selection Number: 61120341
Picture Format: Widescreen
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Rating: Not Rated
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French & Spanish
Layers: DVD-9
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1
Run Time: 157 mins

<TBODY sab="1456">
</TBODY>

For artwork please log on to our website at www.ushepublicity.com
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBCUniversal , one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, newsand information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations groupand world-renowned theme parks. Comcast Corporation owns a controlling 51% interest in NBCUniversal, with GE holding a 49% stake.

Jennifer Black
Executive Director, Publicity
(818) 777-0546
Jennifer.Black@nbcuni.com
SOURCE Universal Studios Home Entertainment

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...el-jackson-the-life-of-an-icon-129292728.html
life-of-an-icon-big.jpg

Re: Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon - Exclusive Advanced Blu-ray and DVD Cover Preview

This looks promissing but i hope one day someone does a documentary concerning only MJ's music and art, without all the other usual controversies. I don't know if this kind of a documentary is done before but i would pay a hella lot of money to own it.

This is coming out on my birthday, so it will be a good gift to myself. When they wrote that Rebie will talk about his realationship with Katherine and decline in years, what does that mean. I hope this is not going to be a negative piece. Rebie left the home to marry long before Michael did Thriller, so I hope she has some good memories of Michael.

[h=2]Michael Jackson: 'The Life of an Icon' to be released[/h]added: 31 Aug 2011 // by: newsdesk

Producer and close friend David Gest says, ' have tried to show Michael in a truly unique light. I have spent the past fifteen months travelling the world interviewing people who were most important in his life. I believe this film will entertain and educate in equal measures about who the real Michael Jackson was. I hope this will serve as a lasting testament to the compassion and love that he had for all mankind. He was a very complex individual and this film reveals the many different facets of his personality.'

More details about a special Michael Jackson fan event to celebrate the DVD & Blu-ray' release will follow from Universal Pictures International Home Entertainment at a later date

*To view the trailer for Michael Jackson: Life of an Icon, please go to http://uk.yahoo.com

source: http://www.music-news.com/shownews....-Life-of-an-Icon-to-be-released&nItemID=43624

I wonder what they have in mind for this event?

I am looking forward to watching a new documentary film about MJ. I don't think there will be smth new in the story about him (probably, apart from his first sexual experience). But what I am really waiting to see is a new footage. I am always open to new MJ's never seen materials when it makes sence. Fans are always complain about everybody who makes a production from MJ for money. And this is understandable because Michael was against those people who tried to take advantage of him. But on the other hand, fans in their majority, eager to learn or see smth new about him. We read R.Taraborelly, we read (listened) Shmuley's tapes, we listened to "Michael". Michael Jackson is not only a great talent and humanitarian but also a brand which is supposed to be sold. In this terms, MJ didn't and doesn't belong to himself. It should be clear.

P.S. there is only one thing I am confused by. everybody who is trying to "reveal" us MJ as never known considers himself as a true friend meanwhile Michael himself mentioned that he had just few friends he could count on one hand.

If anyone from here goes to one of the talk shows, they should ask Rebbie Jackson, point blank, about her continued association with Stacey Brown. Like Seriously.

If it happens (a big if) Rebbie will probably stop being involved in any Q&As because that would be the only thing she would be asked about.

Rebbie, Tito and Gest would mainly only have stories from the 70s, I can't see it being able to work...

But, in the trailer u can hear when they start pointing the finger at MJ for the bad things that happen to him and doesn't Rebbie call him an addict in the film?! Atleast that's what I read on this very forum when there was an article about this film and what she and others will say in it? So why promote such a thing?

Last edited:

But, in the trailer u can hear when they start ponting the finger at MJ for the bad things that happen to him and doesn't Rebbie call him an addict in the film?! Atleast that's what I read on this very forum when there was an article about this film and what she and others will say in it? So why promote such a thing?

What? I am not interested in hearing that either. I was just going to ask if this was a positive thing.

Back