Misinterpretations of 'This is it'

Although I generally do not approve of the way things went down today...I guess Mike was saying that this will be his last performances in London..then he will go to another city and perform for the last time there....

Think about it guys...do you really think Michael is going to train and rehearse and practice and put up an entire show and performance only to do it 10 times..I don't think so. That's not cost efficient at all..after all of the work it takes to prepare for such a string of concerts..I can't imagine that he would do it less than 30-50 times atleast. Which is still only half of what he does on world tours.

I don't know..I kind've felt very empty after today's press conference..I feel like I'm not excited anymore...like where are all the future plans and like someone very nicely pointed out..how on earth did we go from "You ain't seen nothin yet" to "This is it" in these few short years???

I have to say I was really surprised by the whole this is it thing and the whole tone of the event was so un-MJ.
We all know MJ over analyses everything and nothing is haphasard with him and he'll have been thinking about how to orchestrate this big comeback for years. So I found it really suprising that he made this really understated entrance through the back of a curtain after Dermot o'Leary. Say a few sentences and wander off. You'd think he'd have wanted to make a huge impact (as he usually does). I thought the stage was a frtont and the curatin would come down to reveal some big entrance!
Seeing as he's always striving for bigger & better than before I'm really shocked he chose the theme This is It - the tone he said it in had an air of finality.
I almost felt he was an unwilling participant in the whole thing. The way he said 'sing the songs my fans want to hear' I interpreted as greatest hits which felt sad. As if, no new stuff and a bit like a performing monkey type thing (just doing what people want).
I'm also upset he left you fans waiting so long with no apology nor did he come out of the hotel. They invited you down to help with their PR at 1pm! I feel they used you a bit and gave very little back in the end.

I have to say I was really surprised by the whole this is it thing and the whole tone of the event was so un-MJ.
We all know MJ over analyses everything and nothing is haphasard with him and he'll have been thinking about how to orchestrate this big comeback for years. So I found it really suprising that he made this really understated entrance through the back of a curtain after Dermot o'Leary. Say a few sentences and wander off. You'd think he'd have wanted to make a huge impact (as he usually does). I thought the stage was a frtont and the curatin would come down to reveal some big entrance!
Seeing as he's always striving for bigger & better than before I'm really shocked he chose the theme This is It - the tone he said it in had an air of finality.
I almost felt he was an unwilling participant in the whole thing. The way he said 'sing the songs my fans want to hear' I interpreted as greatest hits which felt sad. As if, no new stuff and a bit like a performing monkey type thing (just doing what people want).
I'm also upset he left you fans waiting so long with no apology nor did he come out of the hotel. They invited you down to help with their PR at 1pm! I feel they used you a bit and gave very little back in the end.

I feel the same way..it was definitely quite un-MJ. He seemed to be saying..I don't want to do this but because all of you have been bugging me about it for so long..I'm just gonna do it, OK?!!..AND THIS IS IT..NO MORE..I MEAN IT!..lol. Although that's a very kind thing of him to do for the fans..unless he does it with enthusiasm..it kinda makes me feel like even though I would have liked to see you live on stage..if this is the way you're gonna go about it..then no thanks. I know that sounds a little harsh. But after watching his brief so-called press conference..I felt like this was just not the MJ I thought I knew for so long. I was thinking to myself..although MJ has changed throughout the years as he grew older..he always had that same quality to him in the 70s, 80s, 90s..a kind of personality that we all identified with and one we fell in love with. And even in the first half of this decade, to a certain extent he still had the wonderful quality to him..in fact as recently as the NRJ Music Awards acceptance speech..you could tell he was excited and ready to embark on new endeavors and innovations. But today..I know this sounds harsh..but he almost came off as a disgruntled has-been. It was the last thing you would expect him to say considering he hasn't publicly performed, released an album or a short film in nearly a decade. Therefore, after all this time, and after being vindicated in court, and after all this anticipation..for this to be the first thing he says.."This Is It"..and the way he said it in..was simply disappointing..

I feel the same way..it was definitely quite un-MJ. He seemed to be saying..I don't want to do this but because all of you have been bugging me about it for so long..I'm just gonna do it, OK?!!..AND THIS IS IT..NO MORE..I MEAN IT!..lol. Although that's a very kind thing of him to do for the fans..unless he does it with enthusiasm..it kinda makes me feel like even though I would have liked to see you live on stage..if this is the way you're gonna go about it..then no thanks. I know that sounds a little harsh. But after watching his brief so-called press conference..I felt like this was just not the MJ I thought I knew for so long. I was thinking to myself..although MJ has changed throughout the years as he grew older..he always had that same quality to him in the 70s, 80s, 90s..a kind of personality that we all identified with and one we fell in love with. And even in the first half of this decade, to a certain extent he still had the wonderful quality to him..in fact as recently as the NRJ Music Awards acceptance speech..you could tell he was excited and ready to embark on new endeavors and innovations. But today..I know this sounds harsh..but he almost came off as a disgruntled has-been. It was the last thing you would expect him to say considering he hasn't publicly performed, released an album or a short film in nearly a decade. Therefore, after all this time, and after being vindicated in court, and after all this anticipation..for this to be the first thing he says.."This Is It"..and the way he said it in..was simply disappointing..

I have seen several videos of this and the first one I saw I was seeing some of the same things you are describing. The next two I saw however he didn't come across like that at all. He was smiling and playing and that is what you saw come across. It is really strange how the two different edits and angles gave two totally different effects.

I first thought, when i saw the words 'this is it' that they meant 'this is it, finally, this is what you've all been waiting for.'

.... untill I visited the forum and heard him say final curtain call.
I might be naive but I really do think he'll do other shows too.
I just don't get why he'd only do 10 shows in london.

how on earth did we go from "You ain't seen nothin yet" to "This is it" in these few short years???
Yes!! This is exactly what I thought!! I was like 'what? :mello:'

And what about this?

"Just getting word from a source that Michael will formally announce his retirement through his PR shortly."
http://twitter.com/mjjcommunity?page=2

My heart broke when I read this. Really! :(

Michael knows how popular he is all over the world, so why would he only put on 10 shows in England's capital? I don't understand it. I mean, he must realise that he has fans elsewhere who can't afford to travel...I don't believe that he won't tour elsewhere as well before giving it up.

I have to agree with you! :boohoo

I think he is doing other shows elsewhere - he was careful to specify "last shows in London", but I just don't feel it's on his terms or that he's really motivated.
It's certainly not the way the MJ we know would normally do things. Where's the thirst & ambition? I always thought he'd be ambitious til the day he died, but maybe having children has changed his perspective - something else to channel his energies into.

People.. Listen to this theory..

Michael was always a pioneer, even in the Jacksons era.. He didn't want to perform old stuff, he preferred new ones.. (Listen to the interlude on 'The Jacksons Live CD') Maybe he wants to share NEW music in the future and this is the final curtain call when it comes to the classics..

Fair enough?

He's leaving options open and that's pretty typical Michael Joseph Jackson.

And honestly I like it cuz it's like a neverending :tease: to the media in a way!!! lol

Although I generally do not approve of the way things went down today...I guess Mike was saying that this will be his last performances in London..then he will go to another city and perform for the last time there....

Think about it guys...do you really think Michael is going to train and rehearse and practice and put up an entire show and performance only to do it 10 times..I don't think so. That's not cost efficient at all..after all of the work it takes to prepare for such a string of concerts..I can't imagine that he would do it less than 30-50 times atleast. Which is still only half of what he does on world tours.

I don't know..I kind've felt very empty after today's press conference..I feel like I'm not excited anymore...like where are all the future plans and like someone very nicely pointed out..how on earth did we go from "You ain't seen nothin yet" to "This is it" in these few short years???

I think I know how you feel. When I heard the speech and read the trascript, it kinda felt like...I dunno the end of something important, music wise. I wasn't really sad, just kinda resigned.

I feel the same way..it was definitely quite un-MJ. He seemed to be saying..I don't want to do this but because all of you have been bugging me about it for so long..I'm just gonna do it, OK?!!..AND THIS IS IT..NO MORE..I MEAN IT!..lol. Although that's a very kind thing of him to do for the fans..unless he does it with enthusiasm..it kinda makes me feel like even though I would have liked to see you live on stage..if this is the way you're gonna go about it..then no thanks. I know that sounds a little harsh.

when i heard him talk yesterday i didn't think he was saying 'this is it' because fans have been buggin him. i took it that, just don't ask for another concert because 'this is it'.

See now im confussed.

I'm from aus and was willing to go to London just to see him because this is it, no more performances from him ever and I have never seen him so I was willing to travel 42 hrs, pay 2,000 or more on airfares + accomadation + tickets!!!

If Michael then announces a world tour ill be very annoyed because he was so persistant with his "THIS IS IT" slogan.

I will also be very annoyed if I book/pay all flights/accomadation and if he would canel a concert. He has to think of the fans spending money to travel a longgggggg way to see him. He should of been clear instead of all over the place. That would have to be his worst speech ever, sorry guys.

I'm very sure that he onced said that he was'nt going to tour again.

Your right, as he said the Bad Tour was the last time he was every going to tour. And we've had the Dangerous, History and no these concerts at the O2 since then.

The phrase "This is is" is just sooo ambiguous!! It could literally mean opposite meanings!

The first one could mean:

"This is it. Nothing else is going to happen. This is all. The final curtain. The end."

Or it could mean:

"This is it. The beginning of the return of Michael Jackson. This is it, what we've all been waiting for."

Ahhhhh WHAT DOES IT MEEEEEEEEEAN?! :bugeyed :rofl:

final curtain call means last tour. but when he says in london, that means he won't perform there ever again (tour wise). left it open for them to add more dates. he was very meticulous in what he said

Agree with SoSo. Just the way he said "ok?" worried me. As if he was asking us, feeling pressirised to do them, if that is what we would like, as if is this enough of the candy you want...
Otherwise, I hope we al are happy as something is happening that some did not believ would happen. This is it.

Tell me something, if he´s not touring anymore what´s the point of making albums? Without tours or mini tours live performances. Because the album isn’t going to give him lots of money unfortunately! With all the piracy that exists the album will be ready to download even before its released. That happened with U2 new album. My point is, the only gross earnings of the artists today is the touring, live shows etc. When I buy MJ´s new albums I love the music of course, I have expectations for new dance moves, new live shows etc. I´m not picturing MJ work just the album, I cannot think in MJ music without linking with dance live shows and all the greatness. Madonna is the same age and she´s touring like an “wild animal” she can do it why can´t he? He doesn´t necessarily has to do a massive tour, something like the London shows around the world. Seeing the city’s that will make good profits for his wallet. Less shows, less stress same or more money than massive tours. One thing that i cannot understand is the lip-sync. Why the hell he needs that? He´s a mega super star he has to sing live not lip sync.

When i first heard 'this is it' i thought he meant 'this is it, the start of the biggest comeback... this is it, im back' but maybe not lol x :p:p

Agree with SoSo. Just the way he said "ok?" worried me. As if he was asking us, feeling pressirised to do them, if that is what we would like, as if is this enough of the candy you want...
Otherwise, I hope we al are happy as something is happening that some did not believ would happen. This is it.

Yea, I felt that as well when he said, "Ok?" I felt like he got a bit nervous when the fans reactions were negative, like with the booing..then he ignored it and quickly said that he would see them in july and everyone cheered, and you could see his face light up again. I don't know..just an interesting observation. I know MJ's been through alot, but considering he's been in show business for over 45 years..I would expect him to be a bit more comfortable talking in front of his fans. I felt like he needed to explain himself a little bit more. I mean technically he didn't even announce that were concerts or anything..he just assumed everyone knew what was going on..which is a fair assumption..but in the end..all he really said was "This Is It"..something I feel could have been turned into a happy farewell tour..rather than a sad departure..

This is it.....in London.....okay

Very ambiguous. Could be taken either way ie, this is it for London, no more in London. Or, it could be this is it, in London, then all done, no more anywhere else except this thing in London.

It would seem hard to believe that Michael would totally pack it in after appearing in London only, simply from the standpoint that it is difficult for a majority of fans to attend just the one location in the world. But there again, he's giving enough of them (10 with more possible) in one place, maybe he feels that's enough opportunity for people to make it to at least one show.

Who knows, but I was more saddened when I saw him yesterday than I have ever been before (excluding the trials).

As for the the set up, it was a press conference, that's always what it was announced to be, never a performance or anything r/t that. I'm not at all surprised at the minimalist environment, per se.

And last but not least, he's still not entirely free from looming lawsuits that remain hanging over his head, and this time one of them involves many many of his cherished possessions. His life is amazingly complex in addition to now having 3 higest priorities in his life,ie his children. He does love his fans, but I really feel that they are now not his top purpose in the scheme of everything.

jmo

One thing is certain.....he wanted the fans/crowd to remember the mantra, THIS IS IT. He chanted it and cheered them on with it. He fist pumped to it.

I think there is more to this phrase than Michael doing his last stage performance in London. I think that this may even be the name of the entire worldwide tour. I think that it might even be possible that it is the name of the new album. He wants us to remember it for a reason. I guess we will see in the near future.

final curtain call means last tour. but when he says in london, that means he won't perform there ever again (tour wise). left it open for them to add more dates. he was very meticulous in what he said

Spot on, I think thats exactly what he meant.

Yeap! That's it. (He even emphasizes IN LONDON, getting into the mic closer, and raising his eyebrows, like he knew people will get confused if he didn't put in a slight diff.) LOL I remember after the Press Conference, I just got SO confused on what he meant, and so worried and sad. :lol: But now, I get it and it would make sense; that he is just ending.. touring wise, not anything else.

One thing is certain.....he wanted the fans/crowd to remember the mantra, THIS IS IT. He chanted it and cheered them on with it. He fist pumped to it.

I think there is more to this phrase than Michael doing his last stage performance in London. I think that this may even be the name of the entire worldwide tour. I think that it might even be possible that it is the name of the new album. He wants us to remember it for a reason. I guess we will see in the near future.

My mom and I have been talking about this, trying to figure it all out, and she said the same thing about the album. She thinks This Is It, is the name of the album as well. It makes sense too because all of his album titles have had double meanings.

I have seen several videos of this and the first one I saw I was seeing some of the same things you are describing. The next two I saw however he didn't come across like that at all. He was smiling and playing and that is what you saw come across. It is really strange how the two different edits and angles gave two totally different effects.

this statement hits the nail.

i think that eig or whoever wrote something designed to make fans turn on MJ was a bit unfair. sometimes i wonder if media poses as fans, and stirs the pot.

MJ has been through a lot. a lot. a lot. and i'm not stuttering. and i wouldn't be surprised if people were trying to pull his strings now, withe AEG live thing. they are in it for the money. MJ doesn't need the money. and as far as songs that fans want to hear..that could mean anything. cus he knows fans love more than just billie jean. he knows fans love more than some programmers were willing to play on mass media radio.

but juliens is trying to sell his property behind his back..and that's the latest of many many bugs trying to get at him.

but it's gotta be certain that MJ would not perform if he didn't want to..and perform for us fans is something he wouldn't do unless he wanted to. the door is still open and he wrote that he wants to do many things. he stated in his speech that he loves his fans. from the bottom of his heart. there is a difference between a tour and a residency. just because he may not want to go on a whirlwind around the world, doesn't mean he would never perform in london again, residency-style. even so...one of the first things he ever said was he didn't want to run himself into the ground, touring. we all had to be prepared for that. it's only fair.

Mr. Phillips said something else that I don't see many of you talking about.....he said that there will be new songs in the concert. He said he had heard them and they are why MJ is who he is.

This is the best thing I have heard.

Now my question to you all is this....when Michael sings these songs in London, will people be able to record them in any way? Cause I hope this does not happen. I think what MJ is counting on is hype for the new songs coming out of the concert and people getting all excited about them from the people who made it to the shows. Then he will release his first single after he sees all this excitement. People will rush to buy it and sales will be strong out of the gate.

I found the speech (all four minutes of it LOL) to be very ambiguous. Sounded like he WANTED to announce a retirement, and all the cheering may have flustered him and he changed his mind and added, "London." Think of it from his perspective? It's been a LONG time since he's performed. He may not have been at all certain what the fan reaction would be, or even if anyone would show up? But then the fan-reaction was as always, and LOTS of people showed up. He must have been hard-core nervous before he got to the venue and saw the fans and heard them cheering his name!

When he said, "This is it," he pushed back with his hand for emphasis, as in, "STOP!" So I think he intended to announce his retirement. . from live-performances after these shows. And then he hedged his bets. Music is such a part of his personality, that even if he doesn't do live performances after these, I think he will always do something to entertain fans. Albums don't have to include touring, and there is always the possibility of small, unplugged, venues.

I think he's probably as confused as WE are about that speech! LOL

Back