mkgenie

Proud Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ufN1RxFu-4

it looks a little touching....

take a look.

official site: http://www.misterlonely.co.uk/

20080125_63e52326981f7343e3b4s1iNiRzcooye.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Movie "Mister Lonely" trailer (MJ related)

Wow, this looks interesting - Thank you mkgenie:)

Honestly, at first it looked kind of creepy! But it does have a lot of heart in it the more you keep watching. Great storyline for a movie, I just hope it does well. It looks like an indie film...does anyone know this for sure?

It is I guess ...

Wait...what does Marilyn Manroe have to do with this? And why is Michael Jackson in this movie? Is it based on him or...

It's a story about a Michael Jackson impersonator and a Marilyn Monroe impersonator.

^ Okay. Thank you for explaining that.

Old but cool - it's from 2003! :)

anyone seen the michael jackass skits on youtube? these things just get worse and worse.!!!! michael fight back with the moonwalker sequel.

Mister Lonely

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=festivals&jump=review&reviewid=VE1117933877&cs=1

Variety review

3/12/08 5:02pm

(U.K.-France-Ireland-U.S.)

An Agnes B., Jeremy Thomas presentation, in association with Dreamachine, Gaga, Film4, in co-production with Love Streams and Agnes B. Prods., Recorded Picture Co., Arte France Cinema, of an O'Salvation production. Produced by Nadja Romain. Executive producer, Peter Watson. Co-producers, Adam Bohling, David Reid. Directed by Harmony Korine. Screenplay, Harmony Korine, Avi Korine.

With: Diego Luna, Samantha Morton, Denis Lavant, James Fox, Melita Morgan, Anita Pallenberg, Rachel Simon, Jason Pennycooke, Richard Strange, Michael-Joel Stuart, Esme Creed-Miles, Mal Whiteley, Daniel Rovai, Nigel Cooper, Joseph Morgan, Walid Afkir, Britta Gartner, Werner Herzog, David Blaine, Leos Carax.

By SCOTT FOUNDAS

Michael Jackson meet-cutes Marilyn Monroe on the streets of Paris and goes off to live with her, Charlie Chaplin and Shirley Temple in a seaside Scottish castle. No, it's not the latest season of "The Surreal Life," but rather "Mister Lonely," the third self-conscious cult film from writer-director Harmony Korine. Less outre than "Gummo" and "Julien Donkey-Boy," Korine's most lavishly produced pic to date begins as a sweet-tempered tale of social misfits-turned-celebrity impersonators, but falls short of its ambition to say something meaningful about the obsessive nature of celebrity culture. Title would seem an accurate harbinger of pic's commercial future.

Despite the lack of an obvious physical resemblance, Mexican thesp Diego Luna makes a convincing sell as pic's Jackson impersonator, who, in a memorable opening shot, rides an all-terrain vehicle around an empty racetrack while decked out in dark shades, surgical mask and high white socks, towing a winged-monkey plush toy behind him. (All the while, the titular Bobby Vinton recording plays on the soundtrack.) Luna also proves adept at mimicking the gloved one's signature dance moves, which he practices in his apartment and then performs for passersby on the Champs-Elysees.

When the faux Jackson's agent (played by French director Leos Carax) sends him to perform at a nursing home, he encounters Monroe (Samantha Morton, costumed in the requisite "Seven Year Itch" white dress), who tells him about the commune she lives in with a dozen or so other impersonators (including James Dean, Abe Lincoln and the Three Stooges). Soon, pic's action switches to there, though not before Korine takes time out for a couple of sequences set in an unidentified jungle region where a priest (Werner Herzog) and a group of nuns appear to be running some sort of missionary aid organization.

Just what -- if anything -- the Herzog/jungle scenes have to do with the rest of "Mister Lonely" is never made clear, though they do continue to pop up periodically throughout the narrative and ultimately provide for one of pic's most memorable images: a literal "flying nun" who miraculously manages to survive her unplanned earthly plummet.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch -- or rather, the living wax museum -- Michael, Marilyn and the gang prepare to stage an old-fashioned vaudeville-style revue, and the outbreak of a fatal illness among the commune's sheep population serves as an obvious metaphor for the larger troubles that await this once-idyllic Shangri-la. Ultimately, pic all too predictably devolves into a routine stranger-in-a-strange-land story about how Jackson's arrival on this island of lost celebrity souls sparks latent jealousies and tensions among the other denizens.

"Mister Lonely" gets by for a while on the quirkiness of its premise, the commitment of its performers (especially Luna and Morton) and Korine's enjoyably eccentric casting instincts (like reteaming "Performance" co-stars James Fox and Anita Pallenberg as Pope John Paul II and Queen Elizabeth II). It's also never less than a handsome film to look at, thanks to the accomplished widescreen cinematography of longtime Michael Winterbottom collaborator Marcel Zyskind, marking a complete 180 from the Dogma-influenced aesthetics of "Julien Donkey-Boy." But Korine runs out of story ideas long before pic reaches the end of its padded, nearly two-hour running time.

Camera (color, widescreen), Marcel Zyskind; editors, Paul Zucker, Valdis Oskarsdottir; music, Jason Spaceman, the Sun City Girls; music supervisor, Liz Gallacher; production designer, Richard Campling; costume designer, Judy Shrewsbury; associate producers, Ann Carli, James Flynn, Hengameh Panahi, Richard Mansell; casting, Sarah Crowe. Reviewed at Cannes Film Festival (Un Certain Regard), May 23, 2007. Running time: 112 MIN.

hmmm...wonder if Michael has seen this.

I read about that in the metro... seems interesting

anyone seen the michael jackass skits on youtube? these things just get worse and worse.!!!! michael fight back with the moonwalker sequel.

WHAT? lol

Oh i heard about this a while ago...never seen the trailer. I think this is serious! Seems like a funny, goofy and touching movie. coolios!

Looks interesting. Thank you for posting.

It looks really interesting, actually. It goes to show, actually, how iconic Michael really is. He's the main character the man in the film impersonates along with the main character the woman impersonates being Marilyn Monroe. She's probably the most famous film star ever and Michael is the most famous music star ever. Along with the others they did, with James Dean, Charlie Chaplin, etc... It shows what a force Michael really is. The story looks really interesting

Last edited:

From the looks of it it seems to be made by an independent film maker.

^^
yes i agree. it does seem that way. but it looks very good still. a great idea at least. i'm interested in seeing it. it maybe be a while for me if it doesn't come to the US but i'll see it eventually :p

Independent films usually suck. They typically pay more attention to style than substance. Which I hate.

Looks like a renter to me!

Independent films usually suck. They typically pay more attention to style than substance. Which I hate.

comparing independent with hollywood, i would say independent films contain much more substance.... and style and substance should be linked.

I love independant films.. (for the most part) some great substance.

They are not doing it for the $$$, they are doing it because of the love they have for the craft and the hopes of a BREAK THROUGH.. that makes them more driven to give the best product with what they have..

But there are a lot of people in film that should not be, so yes some independent films are just crap.. lol!

I didn't look into it very quickly but I found that it's probably a limited release for the US on April 30th 2008. As long as it comes to DVD it looks like an interesting watch, obv b/c of MJ. And whoever said that comment about MJ fighting back wid a Moonwalker sequal it just sounded dumb haha Never gunna happen

That look very interesting and kind of heart warming
I would love to see it

Back