Movie "Mister Lonely" - Merged

Re: Mister Lonely Good MJ Impersonator Movie

Starchild, you'll probably hate me after this, but yes there is already a thread for the movie. I'll merge these threads :flowers:

Last edited:
Re: Mister Lonely Good MJ Impersonator Movie

this film looks so bloody boring... LAYM

Re: Movie "Mister Lonely" trailer (MJ related)

It looks really interesting I thought. I would like to see it.

Harmony Korine's 'Mister Lonely' a musical escape

Harmony Korine's 'Mister Lonely' a musical escape

At times very real and heartbreaking, Harmony Korine's first film in nearly a decade, "Mister Lonely," isn't short on its share of warped moments, as its characters and scenes exist just left of something comfortable. A seemingly conventional fish-out-of-water film, as it unfolds, "Mister Lonely" strives to become, in the words of it main character, "less ordinary."

One of the reasons the film largely succeeds in this mission is its music. Taking its name from the classic Bobby Vinton tune, "Mister Lonely" is inspired by song from the get-go, even when music isn't on the screen. Its hauntingly hypnotic score comes from J. Spaceman, the psychedelic rocker behind Spaceman 3 and Spiritualized, and the experimental music of the Sun City Girls.

The film, to be released May 2 by IFC, follows a Paris-based Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna), a street performer who has a chance encounter with a Marilyn Monroe impersonator (Samantha Morton). Marilyn persuades Michael to move with her to a commune that's become sort of a safe haven for celebrity impressionists, where the goal is to build a theater that will showcase a circus-like revue.

Luna, who starred in "Y Tu Mama Tambien," doesn't look much like Jackson, but he has his dance moves down pat.

Speaking after a screening of the film Monday night in Los Angeles, the controversial writer/filmmaker ("Kids," "Gummo") Korine discussed meeting some celeb impersonators during the process of working on the film.

"They were obsessive," Korine said. "They looked very little like the people they were impersonating. They just willed themselves."

Indeed, one of the opening scenes in the beautifully shot film is Luna's Jackson dancing, sans music, on the streets of Paris. It's implied, perhaps, that he's moving to Jackson's "Man in the Mirror," but the only sound effects the audience hears are those of Luna's kicks and swipes in the air. He's alone in his world, and the only song here is in his head.

When asked by an audience member in the below sound-clip if he ever sought out Jackson's permission or music, Korine said the thought didn't cross his mind.

Instead, later in the film, Luna moves to the music of the more frantic, electronic hip-hop of Spank Rock's "Backyard Betty," but that's as modern as the music in "Mister Lonely" gets. While Korine draws heavily from African field recordings and American folk from the 1930s to the 1950s (he briefly discusses his thoughts on picking sons in the below audio clip), it's the music of Spaceman and the Sun City Girls that fuel "Mister Lonely''s" eccentricities.

The "Mister Lonely" soundtrack was released today (April 22) via Chicago-based independent Drag City. It features 9 tracks from Spaceman, and 8 from the Sun City Girls. And while not an entirely easy listen outside of the film, Spaceman's songs immediately illustrate music's ability to provide an escape. There's a child-like wonder to the chiming keys that open the album, in which Luna tries to explain how difficult it all is when you "hate your own face" and simply want "to go completely unnoticed."

But tracks like "Blues 1" and "Paris Beach" illustrate Spaceman's ability to take organic sounds and twist them just a little, creating a folk- or blues-based song with just a hint of manipulated guitar notes. It instantly brings utterly familiar and relaxed sounds to a slightly more wondrous, sometimes unsettling place. Or, in the case of "Garden Walk," the violins sway triumphantly, celebrating the pure cartoonish weirdness of the characters.

It's the Sun City Girls who get the score's centerpiece, however. The now-defunct experimental trio provide a take on the Vinton original with "Mr. Lonely Viola," in which the sounds of a choir and some deliberately plucked stringed instruments barely keep a melancholic violin afloat. The act also supplies the sun-scorched melodies and harmonies of "Vine Street Piano" and the orchestral overture in "Farewell," which flirts with grandness.

At one point in the film, Luna's Jackson is asked why he would ever want to be like everybody else. Why not continue to live in his fake celebrity world? Can't he see how miserable "everybody else" is? While the film does not ultimately provide an answer to the question, Spaceman and the Sun City Girls offer an escape while Korine tries to figure it out.

eh an indie. eh im not a fan of either actors. i think heard it had great reviews at cannes? i might watch it for Lunas dancing, but maybe ive seen too many great tribute artists who even look like the real thing to the point that these two end up looking like they are dressing up for halloween.

this director was quite a character when i saw him once on david letterman lol
oddest interviewee.

if anything im glad they picked Michael instead of elvis to be with monroe for once.

When will this be released in the UK (either at the cinema or on DVD)?

i wish that ebert show would review it.

Last edited:

never heard bout this

so it bout mike?

Hope its a nice one

It's not really about Mike at all.. but it's an impersonator.. might have some metaphor relating to his life.. Look at some previous posts with links about it, the trailer etc.. Also check out imdb.com and read the synopsis..

yeh i've seen some of the trailer
it looks okay

Mister Lonely

I saw this movie at my video store: Blockbusters and apparently it is about Michael Jackson impersonator who meets a Marlyn Manroe impersonator who takes her to a community of impersonators...

:unsure:

Has anyone else seen this movie cuz I wanna know if there is like bad stuff bout MJ in here...cuz if not i'd like to see it ... I mean...it sounds...well...interesting.

Re: Mister Lonely

I don't think it's dissing MJ but I did turn it off after 30 minutes for being absolute crap.

a friend of mine went to the movie theatre and saw it when it was released and told me it was absolutely horrible. but dont worry it doesnt say anything negative about michael (from what i was told)

No nothing negative but you deserve an award if you sit through that entire movie..Just depressing!

an MJ impersonator who went off with a marilyn monroe lookalike? hmm that sounds familiar, that happened to me with my other half :( imight watch the film

Ouchh everbody's being brutal on this movie. I mean it's a foreign film what can you expect!?! The previews make it look pretty good, one review I read involves a subplot about sheep and a nun getting dropped from a plane or something. Ofcourse the only reason any of us want to see it is b/c of the MJ inpersonator in it. But i'd still like to see it for myself either way.

I happened to see this filim at the end of last year, since the description of the film is comedy...... Anyway, imo, the tone of the film is grey. In fact, I don't completely get the storyline and the meaning of this film....I can just remember the rough plot.

A MJ impersonator earned his living by imitating MJ's dancing moves, ect in the street, then someone gave him a chance to do the impersonation in some club or something like that(I cann't rember exactly...) then, he met the Marlyn Manroe impersonator and was introduced to join the impersonators community which are on an island. Then the film mainly describes the lives of them.
Finally, the MJ impersonator left the community and changed back to his own style and led a new life.

IMO, this film doesn't have the negative about Michael or have something to do with him:)
The film itself is just ok:)

Ouchh everbody's being brutal on this movie. I mean it's a foreign film what can you expect!?! The previews make it look pretty good, one review I read involves a subplot about sheep and a nun getting dropped from a plane or something. Ofcourse the only reason any of us want to see it is b/c of the MJ inpersonator in it. But i'd still like to see it for myself either way.

haha, thank you, I recall this plot. A sister fell off of the plane while she was throwing down the relief food to the victims, however, she didn't get any hurt when she landed on the ground. When she was in the air, she still kept the firm faith in God. Then, the sister became a heroine. The sisters even formed a team to perform dropping off the plane without any security equipment...
dunno how such plots pertain to the main storyline or the impersnators or their community...

I mean it's a foreign film what can you expect!?!

I will have you know that it is HOLLYWOOD that produces a production line of complete and utter... shit, that the general public lap up.. There is so much foreign film that is simply wonderful, Fellini? Almodovar? Bunuel? I have so much in my ammunition..

Oh and I hope you aren't calling Brit films poor? We don't produce enough films, but when we do, they are usually fantastic.. have you SEEN Trainspotting?

Sorry but UGH.

Is this a real film?? Will it be released on DVD or blu-ray?

I saw the movie last year in USA. I thought it was very good.

Back