Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Prince...........

So has any1 ordered the 21 nights book & cd?? I have, it seems to have been delayed somewhat maybe, the tracklist was posted on HQ, but I don't know if that is the real one.
I've heard about the book a few months ago, but nothing else recently. I don't know anything about a CD.

I ordered the 21 Nights book/cd from Amazon a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing all the photos from his O2 concerts. I can't believe it was this time last year he was playing at the O2, as I'm still on a high from seeing him at the O2.

Here is a beautiful version of The Question Of U which I adore! I think it's better than the original as it has such a rich sound to it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist..._perfect-answer-to-all-the-questions_creation

Plus three very rare videos one of which features Prince playing the great but rare Electric Intercourse, enjoy :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist...ideo/x5ni2e_you-ask-me-if-i-love-you_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist...deo/x5ni80_everybody-get-on-the-beat_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xl1tx_severocomrep_p1/video/x5nz9v_inter-course_creation

So has any1 ordered the 21 nights book & cd?? I have, it seems to have been delayed somewhat maybe, the tracklist was posted on HQ, but I don't know if that is the real one.

trust me it is the real one i got given it a while ago and posted it on the org and then that was transfered over to housequake etc :yes:

i guess these pictures will be appreciated here :) :wub:

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

Page5.jpg

Page6.jpg

Page7.jpg

Page8.jpg

Page9.jpg

Page10.jpg

Page11.jpg

Page12.jpg

Prince is one of my favorite artists. Here's my top 10 Prince albums (in no particular order)

1. 1999
2. Purple Rain
3. Lovesexy
4. For You
5. Prince
6. Dirty Mind
7. Controversy
8. Graffiti Bridge
9. Sign O The Times
10. New Power Soul

Who is prince?
qqem4l.jpg

Prince Rogers Nelson from Minneapolis. He wears heeled boots that matches his outfits a lot. He had a keyboard player named Dr. Fink. He is also known as:

Jamie Starr
Joey Coco
Alexander Nevermind
His Royal Badness
Tora Tora
The Artist
Symbol
Camille
Paisley Park
Spooky Electric
Gemini
Christopher Tracy
The Kid
and whatever other name he thinks up today.

My parents listen to Prince back in thier time so I kindly like one of his songs in the 80s as well to the 90s but in June he tured 50 Mike just tureend 50 today.:punk:

I just listened to Prince on Dailymotion - first time I've listened to him.
I'm definitely going to buy his compilation album.
He should allow his songs on YouTube though, that's how I became an MJ fan :yes:

I just listened to Prince on Dailymotion - first time I've listened to him.
I'm definitely going to buy his compilation album.
He should allow his songs on YouTube though, that's how I became an MJ fan :yes:

Thats so cool, I like hearing of new fans:punk:welcome to the nut house:D

Prince is one of the world's greatest musicians/songwriters/entertainers.
I only own 'Purple Rain', but I love much of his music and have great respect for him.
I hear he's a nuclear bomb live. Guess its true?
Although I do not know A LOT of his music, when I hear them I usually enjoy it,

Prince is one of the world's greatest musicians/songwriters/entertainers.
I only own 'Purple Rain', but I love much of his music and have great respect for him.
I hear he's a nuclear bomb live. Guess its true?
Although I do not know A LOT of his music, when I hear them I usually enjoy it,

Prince a nuclear bomb live, I like that :punk:

Two of my favs.. Stevie & Prince gettin' down to some Chaka Khan, with some Yolanda Adams and India Arie thrown in for good measure.

I have repsect for Prince and i don't like the fact peopel compare Michael and Prince i think that everybody is doing thier own thing, this how the conflict comes

Oh yeah, I have to post this one... Probably some of the greatest guitaring I've ever seen:

Prince, Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne perform "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Prince is AMAZING here, even Petty seems in a bit of disbelief.

If anyone is interested, here is a new track by Wendy and Lisa called Balloon

Here is Wendy with Prince a couple of years ago.
Reflections

Oh yeah, I have to post this one... Probably some of the greatest guitaring I've ever seen:

Prince, Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne perform "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Prince is AMAZING here, even Petty seems in a bit of disbelief.

I remember watching that performance when it happened and I literally had goosebumps. And loved how George Harrison's son was all smiles throughout the song, he so looks like his father, it's uncanny.

(Ahem, and Prince's chest hair wasn't a bad thing, either:smilerolleyes:)

Prince21nights.jpg

Downstairs in a dimly lighted screening room crowded with sofas, Prince leafs through the first authorized book of his career.
"I wanted to document something that was never done before," he says, pausing at a photo of himself immersed in fog onstage. "I don't expect that record to be broken unless I break it."

Just over a year ago, he performed an unprecedented 21 sell-outs in London's 24,000-seat O2 arena, the year's highest-grossing engagement at $22 million.

The residency is chronicled in 21 Nights (Atria Books, $50), a coffee-table tome of Prince's lyrics and poetry and 124 previously unreleased photographs by Randee St. Nicholas, who shadowed His Purple Highness onstage, backstage, on the streets and in his hotel suite at The Dorchester.

Billed as an inner-sanctum invitation, 21 Nights, in stores next week, is hardly a slide show of an unshowered Prince watching pay-per-view in sneakers and beer-stained T-shirts. The style never stops as Prince, his band and his leggy twin dancers are snapped sporting impeccable designer garb in GQ-ready spreads. The shoots were "casual and spontaneous," he says, "but everyone had to be dressed up."

He writes in the book:

Eye'd rather dress 2 make a woman stare

Eye'm puttin' on somethin' that another won't dare

It's a freezer burn compared 2 cool

The Vogue Italia persona is no pose, says Nicholas, director of 150 music videos, the first being Prince's Gett Off in 1991.

"It may be glamorous to others, but that's his comfort zone," she says. "It's not like he changes to go out and be Prince. The guy looks amazing 24 hours a day."

When Prince suggested collaborating on a book, she proposed a fashion-centric chronicle of his London run.

"I knew I'd have him in one city, so he'd show up for photo shoots; he's a very elusive guy," says St. Nicholas, who has photographed music icons Bob Dylan, Diana Ross and Whitney Houston, as well as such Hollywood luminaries as Charlize Theron and Tom Cruise.

Because she shot primarily after hours, "there's a certain mood of isolation," she says. "You get a very intimate look at him by himself. His mystery is not something he works at. It's who he is."

Change of religion, life

Tonight, that mood of isolation permeates Prince's luxurious 30,000-square-foot Tuscan-style villa, perched high in a gated Beverly Hills enclave. The royal one, clad in a filmy white sweater over a black shirt and slacks with (shocker!) flip-flops, lives solo in the nine-bedroom home, where a cook is upstairs preparing food for a post-midnight gathering with friends and bandmates.

"I'm single, celibate and sexy," he says with a laugh. "I feel free."

After being introduced to Jehovah's Witnesses by friend and bass player Larry Graham, Prince converted in 2001. The onetime voracious womanizer who crooned Scandalous, Do It All Night, Sexy MF and Dirty Mind has purged his lyrics of naughty lingo and spends more time proselytizing than partying.

He's as likely to show up on a neighbor's doorstep with a Watchtower Bible as he is to frequent a hot club.

"Sometimes fans freak out," he says of his missionary encounters. "It might be a shock to see me, but that's no reason for people to act crazy, and it doesn't give them license to chase me down the street."

He turned 50 on June 7, but "being a Jehovah's Witness, I don't celebrate birthdays or holidays. I don't vote."

Reviewing a video of the sultry Te Amo Corazon, he points out his limited physical contact with co-star Mía Maestro of The Motorcycle Diaries. "That's another way faith has changed me," he says.

Screening the sensual Somewhere Here on Earth video, Prince admires another shapely love interest and says, "Back in the day, a woman that fine, I would have written some scenes together. But you can't get sexier than this. You sense it in the air."

Prince feels little connection to such past lightning rods as Do Me, Baby and Darling Nikki, which triggered Tipper Gore's warning-label crusade.

"I did the Dirty Mind tour and pushed that envelope off the table. What I didn't do, Madonna finished. I don't want to go back. You have to get out of your own way."

Music remains a passion. Not just a book, 21 Nights is a delivery system for Indigo Nights, a CD tucked inside. The 15 tracks, culled from post-concert club jams, include Delirious, Alphabet Street, covers of Whole Lotta Love and Rock Steady and two songs spotlighting protégé Shelby J.

He's turned down multiple book offers, "but now we have to look at every form of distribution," says Prince, who's exploring a TV channel start-up to unleash his massive video archives.

He's regarded as a maverick for fleeing the label system in favor of innovative distribution. In 2004, he bundled his Musicology album with concert tickets, grossing $85.3 million for 94 sold-out shows. Last year, he struck a deal with U.K. national newspaper The Mail, which included Planet Earth in its July 15 edition, leading Sony to cancel the album's British release.

"We weren't trying to upstage the record company," Prince says. "I just wanted to get new music out. I asked Sony, 'Were you planning to sell 3 million copies in London?' I sold 3 million copies overnight. That's a good, clear business deal."

A '90s contract dispute with Warner Bros. left Prince deeply distrustful of the industry. Today, he acts as his own manager and lawyer. Before last year's O2 residency, he negotiated before agreeing to perform under the arena's product signage.

"I looked at those ads and thought, hmm, Viacom, that's $1 million," he says. "There are all kinds of possible deals artists aren't privy to.

"I love to bring the Bible to the table. I ask if they believe in God, then: 'What kind of business do you want to conduct: transparent or hide the ball?' I'll do tours and albums if the deal is clean."

He'd consider an exclusive pact with a big-box retailer such as Wal-Mart or Target, and he's eyeing another big-city residency. A major label deal? Doubtful.

"Behind closed doors, they'll tell you it's over," he says. Record companies can't profit unless they retain ownership of artists' work, "and that's why labels are in a bad situation. People with content are going to win."

And yet Prince is sitting on loads of content in search of a platform. After blazing a trail online as an independent distributor, he grew disenchanted with the Internet and in 2006 shut down his 5-year-old New Power Generation Music Club. No official Prince sites remain (3121.com consists of a blank screen). Posting Prince content draws cease-and-desist orders.

Cyberspace "is a black hole to me," he says. "YouTube is the hippest network, and they abuse copyright right and left. You see a song like Purple Rain turned into Pure Cocaine; what should my response be? I chase the money to find out who's behind it. It's a matter of principle. I don't want my music bastardized."

He's not impressed by iTunes' terms or sales projections ("They give you a figure that's embarrassing"). While frustrated, Prince resists pessimism.

"I learned from Jehovah's Witnesses that a fatalistic view is counterproductive," he says. "An agent I was talking to earlier today had this viewpoint that someone has to win and someone has to lose. Nobody who thinks like that gets very far. Look at Frazier and Ali. Both of them got something out of that fight. I understand competition, but not the kind where someone has to die or be disenfranchised."

Passion 'all goes into music'

After visiting his library to read Scripture and weigh in on intelligent design, Prince strolls to his bedroom to share tunes that will be released when he determines a distribution route.

"When are we going to get back to the poetry of Smokey Robinson and Bob Dylan?" he says, sitting on the edge of a round bed under a heart-shaped mirror. His stereo includes the turntable his father gave him as a toddler. He learned to play guitar spinning LPs on it.

Right now, he's cranking newly crafted funk-pop-psychedelic wonders Boom, Forever and Dreamer, an ode to Martin Luther King Jr. inspired by discussions with Dick Gregory. He declines to play The Divine, a song so "mind-blowing" he doubts he'll ever release it. "The minute the harmonies hit, I put it away," he says.

On a love song, his voice takes on yearning as he pines for the feel of a lover's lips and the move of her hips. "That's what happens with years of celibacy," says Prince, survivor of two broken marriages. "It all goes into the music." He pauses. "This time, it has to be the right person."

For now, songs offer sufficient companionship. "Music to me is a life force," he says. "It's not what I do. It's what I am."

Source: USA Today -- September 26, 2008

Back