So far, has the project "Michael" been a failure??? and why???

So far, has the project "Michael" been a failure??? and why??? Multiple Choice!!!!

• Total voters

Krshna28

Proud Member
Title says it all!!

Poll is multiple choice!!!!!!!

Feel free to add your own views in this thread!!!!

Last edited:
No, not a failure but a disappointment, so many sure hits were left off, and questionable songs were included. The Cd wasn't no. 1 in some key markets etc.

I don't know what the sales are now, but I've seen zero promotion for the album here in the USA. Zip. So, that fault lies in the hands of the Estate and Sony.

One of the biggest problems with the album for me was that they insisted on putting those 3 questionable tracks on there. The moment there was talk about those tracks possibly being fakes then they should have been removed from the album. If it ment that the album would have to have be delayed for a few months then so be it.

Why were the cascio tracks insisted apon so much anyway? Were they just so proud of the work they did on them that they just had to include them?

Why were the cascio tracks insisted apon so much anyway? Were they just so proud of the work they did on them that they just had to include them?

No one here wants to hear anyone's work but Michael's.

Has the album sold more than invincible worldwide?

Because I know Michael was upset by the sales of invincible. And we all know why, sony didn't promote it since Michael told them he was leaving them in the future.

^^^^^^^^^

Nope........I'm sure I read that sales for "Michael" are 3 million.............Invincible sold over 11 million

Last edited:
It's a no brainer, of cause there's a divide in the fanbase which was down to the 3 questionable tracks, but end of the day I just cannot stop playing the album, all songs are superb considering the circumstances. The album will never be a failure, the album was never meant to top the charts, the album was purely for the fans to enjoy and continue his legacy.

I wouldn't say it has been a complete failure therefore I voted no but I do however think that the project was spoiled by the other things in the choices; the lack of promotion and the division in the fans over the Cascio tracks. Shame really :(

The inclusion of the Cascio tracks didn't do the album any favours. Moreover, the nonexistent promotion campaign by the Estate and Sony has deemed the entire thing a complete failure. They're so strict on their copyright stuff on YouTube, yet they don't do anything about promoting the product they are supposedly protecting.

Re: So far, has the project "Michael" been a failure??? and why???

By whose standards? It's funny how a lot things related to Michael Jackson get branded a failure when that would mean the accomplished of several lifetimes for most other artists.

I guess being Michael Jackson means getting measured with a few double standards.

^^^^^^^^^

Nope........I'm sure I read that sales for "Michael" are 3 million.............Invincible sold over 11 million

I'll just assume that these are the correct numbers.

Let's compare:
'Invincible' was released in October of 2001 and supposedly sold 11 millions copies.

'Michael' was released in December of 2010 and according to your numbers has sold 3 million copies- and we are writing this as of January of 2011.

^^^So that would mean 3 million copies sold in a (ONE!) month means failure?

Gee, do you have equally tough expectations for anything you do- or just for anything related to Michael Jackson?

Having said that, I do wonder about the lack of promotion- but judging by the sales I would not consider this album a failure.

I wonder what the internal sales expectation was over at Sony- maybe they are not even that dissatisfied with the sales- or in other words, they are a business. Weighing productions cost versus expected sales and profits- I would look at marketing and promotion compared to their expected sales. You'd need to know the number to come conclusions. They are a business therefore their expenditure on marketing on promotion needs to be seen in context with expected sales. They are not promoting something for the sheer fun of it. Who knows what their numbers indicated. (and no, I am not working for Sony- before I get the next PM)

Also, failure based on what? Artistically, financially, critic's reception, overall reception, hardcore fanbase reception, sale numbers- failure based on WHAT?

Last edited:
Too early to call it a failure. However, I voted for minimal support from Sony/the Estate as the main reason for the underperformance in terms of sales. I really hope they get their act together for the next single release

The God-awful fake vocals on the Cascio songs have ruined this album.

The Cascio's should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

The God-awful fake vocals on the Cascio songs have ruined this album.

The Cascio's should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

Exactly.............

Half the reason Michael's songs are so good were because his voice is sooooo good.........

I'm still undecided about the authenticity........but if you struggle to even hear Michael...........then what's the point of the whole song?????

Personally I'm not sure that the album has been a failure (are we talking commercially here?). It has topped charts across the world and reached the top 3 or 4 of many others. Michael's albums have no divine right to reach the top of the charts all the time. There are way too many talented current artists around for that - and sales of 3 million, apparently - not too shabby for any artist who has been dead for one and a half years! Commercially, I would call that a success if anything.

^^^^^^^^But sales are falling fast............

A proper MJ album used to stay high in the charts for months!!!!!!!

^^ Yes, back when he was a current artist? One who is, by definition of no longer being with us, becoming less current all of the time? He achieved enough number ones in his life, and those were the actually important ones.

Having said that, there's also the point that the wider public who are the ones who actually dictate whether an album's a megaseller or not had already had their fill by MJ by the time 'Michael' came around, I think. The mad resurgence in his sales that occured after his death had only recently died down, This Is It had only been released on DVD earlier in the year. Plus, promotion was poor. Those who did know all that much about the album must've thought, "what? He's back again?", lol.

Plus, 'Michael' turned out to be an overhyped odds-and-sods album, really... Not the polished-off, Michael-approved, fully-fledged Invincible successor that we were really expecting. Hence why I don't consider the album a commercial failure, given both the circumstances and what it actually was.

^^ Yes, back when he was a current artist? One who is, by definition of no longer being with us, becoming less current all of the time? He achieved enough number ones in his life, and those were the actually important ones.

Having said that, there's also the point that the wider public who are the ones who actually dictate whether an album's a megaseller or not had already had their fill by MJ by the time 'Michael' came around, I think. The mad resurgence in his sales that occured after his death had only recently died down, This Is It had only been released on DVD earlier in the year. Plus, promotion was poor. Those who did know all that much about the album must've thought, "what? He's back again?", lol.

Plus, 'Michael' turned out to be an overhyped odds-and-sods album, really... Not the polished-off, Michael-approved, fully-fledged Invincible successor that we were really expecting. Hence why I don't consider the album a commercial failure, given both the circumstances and what it actually was.

But the Beatles, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley had massive posthumous albums..........and they got much more promotion then this Michaels........

It sold 3 million because MJ's fanbase is sooooo strong...............the Breaking News song probably got a lot of people cancelling their pre orders........

If the cascio songs weren't there.............it could of had up to 5 million pre orders..............

Even right now...........only hardcore MJ fans really bother about this album.............casual music fans probably haven't even listened to this album yet!!!!!!

Yes - Inclusion of questionable Cascio songs have created a divide in the MJ fanbase!!!

The whole controversy ruined it all for me.
I don't care how many copies it sold or how much promotion it got.

Not only Michael, every artist, dead or alive, should not be treated this way.

What people seem to forget is that sales are always declining, not just for MJ. Artists like Madonna are struggling to get a platinum certification on their latest albums! 'Michael' actually shipped 3 million worldwide in it's first week, which is great! I can guess that number has gone up some by now.

However, the choice of songs and the minimal promotion has knocked sales some I would say. The Cascio tracks inclusion has caused a big rift in the community, causing some fans to even boycott the album! The promotion was initially quite strong I would say, in December I must have seen the advert at least once a week, but then it stopped all of a sudden! I also think Best Of Joy should have been released as a single in place of Hold My Hand. But in the eyes of the public and critics, the album is seen as a success, lets hope Sony learn from these mistakes by the time the next album is due.

It isnt really a failure but there is better songs of Michaels that could have been on other than the questionable ones but then again it didnt have Michaels personal touch on the end product.Also it wasnt as promoted as it could have been and I would loved to have seen more of Michael in the videos.I dont really like seeing anyone else in Michaels videos,like their should be more of Mike in the video than of any other person.

In my opinion "Michael" was a failure because of those three controversial tracks which resulted to bad results. And there wasn't very good music video made anyway and I think there was some lazy producing. Like Hollywood Tonight would have been A LOT better. Thank God there's remixes of that song out there.

And I think music videos were also disappointment. Especially Behind The Mask.

A failure? Commercially?
No. Platinum in 17 countries, Gold in 18... that's hardly what I would call a failure. It's not bad for an album that got little promotion, lots of controversy and mediocre videos.

DJ Spins said:
It's a no brainer, of cause there's a divide in the fanbase which was down to the 3 questionable tracks, but end of the day I just cannot stop playing the album, all songs are superb considering the circumstances. The album will never be a failure, the album was never meant to top the charts, the album was purely for the fans to enjoy and continue his legacy.

Exactly.
Thats what it was. the problem was, the fans still don't get it. they see it as an album like Invincible. It's a posthumous album. The expectations are too high. Some still live 15 years in the past. expect promotion like for History or Dangerous. Michael didn't get that in the last 10 years and many don't realize there is no reason and it won't happen.
Through he had promotion in europe in a level of any other singer.
Now they see the Immortal project as failure, even thats something that can't be put in the same basket with "Michael". at the most can be seen as GH remix albm.

^ Nope, if they switched the three fake songs with let's say, STTR, DYKWYCA and BG, I'd be happy.

Back