The Little Known Facts About The Music

What was the HBO special going to consist of?
And why was it cancelled?

It was going to be a televised one night only concert for HBO. Michael was going to perform Smile with Marcel Marceau (some footage of the rehearsals can be found somewhere) and there were rumours that This Time Aound was going to be performed too. The reason why it was cancelled is because Michael collapsed during rehearsals and was rushed to hospital where doctors said he was extremely dehydrated and was suffering from inflammation of the lungs.

Another fact for everybody, it was Michael's idea to open and close Speechless singing acapella with Seth Riggs, MJ's vocal coach, calling the moment 'magical'.

Smile was scheduled to be a single release for December 1996 with rumours that Michael had starting recording a video for it but for some unknown reason Sony decided to pull it at the last moment.

During the late 90's there were reports that Michael and The Bee Gees were going to record a song or perhaps an entire album together.

Last edited:
What was the HBO special going to consist of?
And why was it cancelled?

ARGHHH don't remind me about this man...when i was a kid i was SOOOOOOO hyped for this! but then when it got cancelled I was crying like a baby! :(....

Here's the HBO Special Commercial:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51526&highlight=Commercial

MJ had planned a greatest hits album titled 'Decade' by cancelled it after he created enough new songs for a new album which was DANGEROUS:
decade2rp2.jpg

Those who have the Bad 2001 Special Edition album will know that Streetwalker is a bonus track. Michael wanted Streetwalker on the original album but Quincy Jones wanted She's Out of my Life. SOOML was chosen because Quincy thought Streetwalker was too upbeat and happy for the album.

Those who have the Bad 2001 Special Edition album will know that Streetwalker is a bonus track. Michael wanted Streetwalker on the original album but Quincy Jones wanted She's Out of my Life. SOOML was chosen because Quincy thought Streetwalker was too upbeat and happy for the album.

SOOML is from OFF THE WALL not BAD. ;)

Quincy decided between Streetwalker and Another Part Of Me and as we know the latter was chosen.

I just read in a thread that Quincy Jones did not want "Billie Jean" to be on Thriller!

That's not true, and that fact must be a misunderstanding by a fan on this board. There is no record of Quincy Jones not wanting Michael to record Billie Jean for Thriller.

Quincy Jones didn't want Michael to put his original version of Billie Jean on Thriller as Quincy felt the intro to the song was way too long. Michael and Quincy then edited the Billie Jean, with a shorter intro etc. And that version is the one on the album and the No.1 single, video and Motown 25 performance. The original version of Billie Jean is the 12" single version with the longer intro and extra lyric at the end of the song.

The Way You Make Me Feel was originally titled The Way You Make Me Feel (Hot Fever).

Rod Temperton wrote Rock With You as a funky uptempo song, and it was Michael's idea to turn the tempo of the song down in to the smooth song it is.

Last edited:
The Way You Make Me Feel was originally titled The Way You Make Me Feel (Hot Fever).

Originally it was known as just 'Hot Fever'. Liberian Girl was Pyramid Girl, Thriller was Starlight, Smooth Criminal was Al Capone.

Black Or White was first written and recorded as a demo as Get Into The Groove in 1987.

our Mike is wearing a ladies' Yves Saint Laurent tuxedo in this Off The Wall cover:

dn1x4w.jpg

As for Billie Jean, Quincy Jones didn't want it titled "Billie Jean" because he thought people would think it was about Billie Jean King, the tennis player. On an episode of according to Jim, they were talking about tennis and he mentioned Michael Jackson wrote a song about her, called Billie Jean. Nobody laughed on the show (no canned laughter, anyways), but I got a chuckle out of it.

As for Streetwalker, we all know it eventually evolved into the Dangerous demo and later the final version of Dangerous. Pretty cool evolution now that all three tracks have been released. I'm not fond of the Dangerous demo, but I love Streetwalker and definitely love the finished product, Dangerous.

As for Streetwalker, we all know it eventually evolved into the Dangerous demo and later the final version of Dangerous. Pretty cool evolution now that all three tracks have been released. I'm not fond of the Dangerous demo, but I love Streetwalker and definitely love the finished product, Dangerous.

There's a demo of Dangerous with a piano solo that Id love to hear. Im also not to fond of the early Dangerous demo but Im sure there are later demos of Dangerous after Teddy Riley redid the floor with a new foundation that would be great to get hold of.

In an interview during the Bad era, an interviewer asked him about the spoken intro to IJCSLY, and he answered: "I was in bed when I did that" and started giggling.

... which is why Michael Jackson runs musical circles around anything Mick Jagger has ever sung ...
Mick based his vocal style on blues singers, who generally had raw untrained voices, not technical singers. So going by that criteria, Mick isn't that bad, lol. The name "Rolling Stones" itself came from a Muddy Waters song I think.

Here's something interesting:

Lil Romeo broke MJ's record of being the youngest singer to get a number one track on the R&B Chart, but the song, "My Baby", sampled and basically used the rhythm of "I Want You Back"... a J5 song.

Does anyone have more information on Michael's recording of the song Behind The Mask of the Thriller album. The song was later recoreded and released by Michael's friend Greg Philinganes, then made famous by Eric Clapton.

Michael wrote the lyrics as the song was originally just an instremental with a few lyrics by a Japanse band called Yellow Magic Orchestra in 1979. Quincy Jones heard the music thought Michael would like it, and bought the rights. But I heard when it was alledgedly put up for release on on Thriller album, the publisher of the original music objected to it's release. Does anyone know more information etc about this. I'd love to hear Michael's version of the song, as Greg Philinganes version is brilliant.

It was going to be a televised one night only concert for HBO. Michael was going to perform Smile with Marcel Marceau (some footage of the rehearsals can be found somewhere) and there were rumours that This Time Aound was going to be performed too. The reason why it was cancelled is because Michael collapsed during rehearsals and was rushed to hospital where doctors said he was extremely dehydrated and was suffering from inflammation of the lungs.

Smile was scheduled to be a single release for December 1996 with rumours that Michael had starting recording a video for it but for some unknown reason Sony decided to pull it at the last moment.

Michael was to sing Childhood live while Marcel mimed to the lyrics. Smile was to be Michael all by himself.

The HBO show was to have had all HIStory tracks performed as well as MJ's favourite show tunes. There were two shows to be filmed over two nights before being edited down into one night for TV viewing.

Smile was due for release in December 1997 as the final track from HIStory's promotional campaign.

Michael was to sing Childhood live while Marcel mimed to the lyrics. Smile was to be Michael all by himself.

The HBO show was to have had all HIStory tracks performed as well as MJ's favourite show tunes. There were two shows to be filmed over two nights before being edited down into one night for TV viewing.

Smile was due for release in December 1997 as the final track from HIStory's promotional campaign.

Oops, sorry, seems like I got some of the facts wrong. Thanks for that info :).

SOOML is from OFF THE WALL not BAD. ;)

Quincy decided between Streetwalker and Another Part Of Me and as we know the latter was chosen.
yeah, the way they chose APOM is on the Bad special edition, i think. Q said that they let some guy listen to it and he started dancing- which was funny cause of who the guy was, so they chose APOM. I'm too lazy to go get the cd and listen to it again to get it perfect, lol.

Originally it was known as just 'Hot Fever'. Liberian Girl was Pyramid Girl, Thriller was Starlight, Smooth Criminal was Al Capone.

Black Or White was first written and recorded as a demo as Get Into The Groove in 1987.
That just sounds funny! :rofl:

I don't know how rare this info is, but here we go...

- Usher's song "U Don't Have To Call" was originally made for Michael Jackson, but Michael didn't want to keep it because he didn't feel that it had a "hook".

- Blackstreet's song "Joy" of their self titled album is a left over track from the sessions
Teddy Riley and Michael Jackson had while creating the "Dangerous" album.

- There are 7 left over tracks from Michael and Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins studio sessions for the "Invincible" album.

- Around 2:45 into "Beat It" you can hear a "wood knocking" sound, and if you listen closely you can also hear a door slamming shortly after it. Rumor has it that someone knocked on the door where Van Halen was recording his guitar solo, then realized the room was occupied and left.

- Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins claimed that Michael payed him money for 3 years to stop him from working with other artists so that Rodney could really focus on Michael's album.

- Michael wanted Rodney Jerkins take a bat and smash it into cars to have samples for the music, which Rodney felt was "too much". But Rodney agreed going out on junkyards with "DAT recorders" if Michael would agree to do "Rock My World".

- Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins has revealed that the old Gatorade TV-commercial featuring Michael Jordan going; "Like Mike, if I can be like Mike", inspired how Michael would sing "My life, would never be the same" in the song "You Rock My World".

- Usher's song "U Don't Have To Call" was originally made for Michael Jackson, but Michael didn't want to keep it because he didn't feel that it had a "hook".

- Blackstreet's song "Joy" of their self titled album is a left over track from the sessions

- There are 7 left over tracks from Michael and Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins studio sessions for the "Invincible" album.

- Around 2:45 into "Beat It" you can hear a "wood knocking" sound, and if you listen closely you can also hear a door slamming shortly after it. Rumor has it that someone knocked on the door where Van Halen was recording his guitar solo, then realized the room was occupied and left.

- Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins claimed that Michael payed him money for 3 years to stop him from working with other artists so that Rodney could really focus on Michael's album.

- Michael wanted Rodney Jerkins take a bat and smash it into cars to have samples for the music, which Rodney felt was "too much". But Rodney agreed going out on junkyards with "DAT recorders" if Michael would agree to do "Rock My World".

- Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins has revealed that the old Gatorade TV-commercial featuring Michael Jordan going; "Like Mike, if I can be like Mike", inspired how Michael would sing "My life, would never be the same" in the song "You Rock My World".

A, man that's sum good stuff, thanks for posting. I :wub: this thread. Man, do I wish I could hear sum of the other Invincible session songs, or any leftover songs for that matter; and I've always wondered about the door thing in "beat it".

Is there a video of the Michael Jordan commercial?Anyone?

I like this one :)

I think the sound was Eddie hitting his guitar, you can also hear a faint noise of him either pluging in the jack or messing about with it too. I think you would know if Eddie was playing guitar in the room next to you, smoke would be billowing from underneath the door ha ha

These are maybe more well known but otherwise cool, Eddie set the studio speakers on fire whilst playing for Beat It, and also MJ played the drums on the track, which is probably why they are pretty simple and have virtually no variation or fills lol

Also on the note of Darkchild, I heard 2 songs that were written for Michael, they were only instrumentals and were being played via MSN to me, they were nothing special.

Señorita
Like I Love You
Take It From Here
Rock Your Body
Nothin' Else
Last Night
Let's Take A Ride
Take Away Your Love (Why, When, How?)
U Don't Have To Call
Whats A Guy Gotta Do?

Were all produced by The Neptunes, given to Michael for the HIStory sessions, then again for Invincible sessions but Mike turned them down both times.

U Don't Have To Call is ok but I think maybe it would sound better if he had recorded it.

7 leftovers..."We've Had Enough" included??

Señorita
Like I Love You
Take It From Here
Rock Your Body
Nothin' Else
Last Night
Let's Take A Ride
Take Away Your Love (Why, When, How?)
U Don't Have To Call
Whats A Guy Gotta Do?

Were all produced by The Neptunes, given to Michael for the HIStory sessions, then again for Invincible sessions but Mike turned them down both times.
Wow I didn't know that The Neptunes wrote tracks for MJ during the HIStory session as well. They got turned down twice, but I know they were honored just to be able to give him their tracks and if they get another chance, they will be happy to do it again. Personally, I think they can give him one or two good dance tunes with tight beat. Who knows we'll see their name on the credits on the new album.

Señorita
Like I Love You
Rock Your Body
---These went to Justin Timberlake yeah, but how about the others? Anyone knows which song went to who?

U Don't Have To Call is ok but I think maybe it would sound better if he had recorded it.

7 leftovers..."We've Had Enough" included??

Wow I didn't know that The Neptunes wrote tracks for MJ during the HIStory session as well. They got turned down twice, but I know they were honored just to be able to give him their tracks and if they get another chance, they will be happy to do it again. Personally, I think they can give him one or two good dance tunes with tight beat. Who knows we'll see their name on the credits on the new album.

Señorita
Like I Love You
Rock Your Body
---These went to Justin Timberlake yeah, but how about the others? Anyone knows which song went to who?

Señorita (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album)

Like I Love You (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album)

Take It From Here (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album)

Rock Your Body (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album)

Nothin' Else (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album)

Last Night (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album )

Let's Take A Ride (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album)

Take Away Your Love (Why, When, How?) (Justin Timebrlake 'Justified' album *Bonus Song*)

U Don't Have To Call (Usher '8701' album)

Whats A Guy Gotta Do? (recorded by Michael & Justin, but both turned it down.*Unreleased*)

cool :lol: when im back home i gonna listen to it :D

nice info, Mr. Wayne! i never knew about the Beat It thing.

Back