The Little Known Facts About The Music

Michael and Greg Philliganes originally wrote PYT with more of an R&B sound then Quincy and James Ingram re-wrote it with more of a funk rock sound which obviously worked!!!
James Ingram wrote PYT which was the kissing first cousin to Carl Carlton's "She's a badd Mama Jamma" which James Ingram wrote and played all the instruments on. Quincy Jones added his elephant synths parts to PYT and he made Ingram give him co credit or told him that PYT wouldn't be on "thriller.

MJ and Greg have done alot of things together over the years.

does anybody have any info on the song 2000 watts? I know Tyrese had an album with the same title...but then on Invincible mike had the song with tyrese on the song credit..anybody have info on how that song came about?

James Ingram wrote PYT which was the kissing first cousin to Carl Carlton's "She's a badd Mama Jamma" which James Ingram wrote and played all the instruments on. Quincy Jones added his elephant synths parts to PYT and he made Ingram give him co credit or told him that PYT wouldn't be on "thriller.

MJ and Greg have done alot of things together over the years.
MJ did write his version of Pyt, though, but ut wasn't chosen for the album.

All of the songs on the album "Farewell My Summer Love" had the original music taken off the original 1970s songs and replaced it with newly recorded (in 1984) music, arrangements, and background vocals.

All of the songs on the album "Farewell My Summer Love" had the original music taken off the original 1970s songs and replaced it with newly recorded (in 1984) music, arrangements, and background vocals.

I've never heard any of that album. Is it any good?

Steve Porcaro, a studio musician and member of Toto, wrote this with lyricist John Bettis after his daughter came home from school upset that some kids were mean to her. He replied that it was "Just human nature."
Porcaro recorded a rough version and left it on a cassette in the studio. Another member of Toto, David Paitch, unknowingly used the tape to put 3 songs on for Quincy Jones to consider for Thriller. Jones did not like Paitch's songs, but heard Porcaro's tune and decided to use it.
This was one of 7 US Top 10 hits off the Thriller album.
In 1993, SWV (Sisters With Voices) hit #2 in the US with a medley of this song combined with their own release "Right Here."

I've never heard any of that album. Is it any good?

It's alright, the title song was a minor hit. The songs were unreleased tracks. The new arrangements sounded like it belonged on a soundtrack to Punky Brewster, lol. At the time it was said that MJ wasn't happy about Motown releasing this album. Some of the songs are on Anthology in their original versions.

Last edited:
Floetry who wrote the track Butterflies that was hand picked by MJ were taught by my sis at the Brit School in Croydon (Brit Awards etc.). Apparently MJ had the whole floor of the studios booked out laid down his vocals in one day and said "you guys did it."

Mike was supposed to duet with Whitney on this 2000 Darkchild-penned track, which then went to George Michael.

B00004TJ8R.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If I Told You That

Mike was supposed to duet with Whitney on this 2000 Darkchild-penned track, which then went to George Michael.

If I Told You That

haha, always wondered how that song would sound with Mike on it , even thou I love the version with George (one of the few songs where George goes back to his Wham! days, vocaly):)

So split on the thought really, Mike and George are my favorite artists through all time (both are the biggest musical inspirations in my life) so I can't really decide on who would have done the better version..

The version on Whitney's album "My Love Is Your Love" is solo, no George. The duet version came out later.

"Beat It" is sampled for another MJ track, the 2 Bad Refugee Camp Mix from Blood On The Dancefloor. It's in the liner notes and I'm sure some of you have heard it, but hey, if you didn't know, now you do.

I'm always in threads in this forum and I always see some stuff about albums and songs that I didn't know. I just read in a thread that Quincy Jones did not want "Billie Jean" to be on Thriller! I wanted to open a thread about the music and some facts about them.

I'm sure we all know of sales figures, records, and billboard ranks. I'd like this thread to contain tidbits and facts about songs, albums, concerts etc. that you think people may not be familiar with. I consider myself a pretty big fan but it seems that people know a lot more facts about the music than I do, and I'm sure some other members may not have the knowledge many of you have.

So this thread is dedicated to the facts YOU think, or know that people aren't aware of concerning Michael's music. Share your knowledge with the rest of us!!!
Mad props!!! I'm in the midst of learning everything about MJ and his music, so this thread means a lot to me. I appreciate everyone's post here. Keep 'em comin!

About the If I Told You That song, yeah the original version is her solo work. She didn't even record it again for the duet. George Michael only added his voice in some parts. The original>>>>the duet....Compared to Whitney, his vocal sounds week and less intese. Michael would've done a better job. It would be straight fire-them together with explosive vocals. Oh, would have been nice if she'd recorded it again for the version with Michael, in the same booth, a la When You Believe with Mariah.

If I Told You That

oh thanks for bringing this up , I thought it got long forgotten...it is a great track and Darkchild wanted it to be an MJ and Whitney duet.....but it didnt happen and as he was working for Whitney too and they needed the song they asked George Michael....who jumped to it and made it happen. :clapping::punk:.great track...big miss.. :(:doh:

For DSTYGE MJ wanted to his vocals higher. The song is sung at such a high pitch for him, but apparently even after the end product, MJ wanted his vocals to be higher, even though he couldn't sing any higher! lol Don't remember where I got that from, but it's always stuck out for me. B/c i've never heard anyone else bring it up.

Wow guys, that's such an interesting thread :clapping:

*I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that Michael just needed to record Billie Jean once when he was in the studio ( I mean the first time he recorded it he did it perfect once).

*When he wrote Beat It he was thinking in a Mc Donnals commercial.

In the MoonWalker video for Smooth Criminal there's and extra verse not heard anywhere else. It's during the part MJ's going up the stairs after crushing the pool cue in the man's face.

There's an extra verse or fuller version of Carousel. I believe it was released on a European version of the KOP50 album.

In the MoonWalker video for Smooth Criminal there's and extra verse not heard anywhere else. It's during the part MJ's going up the stairs after crushing the pool cue in the man's face.

There's an extra verse or fuller version of Carousel. I believe it was released on a European version of the KOP50 album.

Michael Sembello also as his version on his own site www.michaelsembello.com (http://www.michaelsembello.com/vault.htm) as well as Michael's full version.

There is actually a longer version of "Thriller" it was too long to put on the album and a few times in the 80's it was played on the radio!!
Michael actually is very particular about musical instruments or equipment,He won't just sing on just any old type of microphone it has to be a good quality one and he will go through many until he finds the exact one that makes a particular song sound just the way he likes it,the same goes for guitars,keyboards,drums etc!!
Michael hates singing accapellas!!
Sometimes during live concerts or performances Michael has forgotten the lyrics to some of his songs,he will adlib or make one of his funky sounds to cover it up,Really!!

Mike wasn't happy with his toe stand on Motown 25th perfromance. He wanted to stay there still on his toes much longer. I'm sure most of you knew that.. lol

During the victory tour the bodyguards didnt let the brothers out so they use to hop the backwall and walk the streets @ night..or was that just michael lol

*When he wrote Beat It he was thinking in a Mc Donnals commercial.
Actually it was a 1970s song called "My Sharona" by The Knack, not a commercial. And Billie Jean came from Hall & Oates "I Can't Go For That". Paul McCartney wrote "Girlfriend" especially for Mike, although he released it as an album track 1st.

this may be 90% pointless here, but i recently realised that Jimmy Jam sampled a drum fill from Janet's The Knowledge into Scream (and more prominently/clearly in his Scream Louder remix).

The Knowledge fill

Scream Louder

Scream

Mick Jagger said that when they were recording State Of Shock, Mike would do scales for 2 hours before recording to warm up his voice and he (Mick) wasn't used to that.

... which is why Michael Jackson runs musical circles around anything Mick Jagger has ever sung ...

This Time Around was scheduled to be released as a single to coincide with the (cancelled) 1995 HBO special.

2wqbcwp.jpg

This Time Around was scheduled to be released as a single to coincide with the (cancelled) 1995 HBO special.

2wqbcwp.jpg

Yeah I heard that too. This Time Around chart at No.25 in the US just based on radio airplay alone.

Back