The Little Known Facts About The Music

Señorita
Mike missed out massively on this one, imo.

23msk0w.jpg

Justin Timberlake

Señorita

(Instrumental)

there's a thread over at Max Jax of all the known tracks that Mike passed on over the Epic years...

http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=8590

First, if anyone of you guys are absolutely sure that I'm wrong then please don't hesitate to correct me, I'm not stubborn! :)

Is there a video of the Michael Jordan commercial?Anyone?

I like this one :)

I think the sound was Eddie hitting his guitar, you can also hear a faint noise of him either pluging in the jack or messing about with it too. I think you would know if Eddie was playing guitar in the room next to you, smoke would be billowing from underneath the door ha ha

I've also questioned this, like how did they record back then?
I mean now days we plug the guitar in the preamp and straight into the mixer (?!)
And if they used the same recording technique back then, we wouldn't hear it on the record since the sound from the guitar goes straight into the preamp without recording what's going on in the room?!
(Hehe this gets me thinking of the "Eddie Murphy - Party all the time" video where they're all gathered in the "booth")

Señorita
Like I Love You
Take It From Here
Rock Your Body
Nothin' Else
Last Night
Let's Take A Ride
Take Away Your Love (Why, When, How?)
U Don't Have To Call
Whats A Guy Gotta Do?

Were all produced by The Neptunes, given to Michael for the HIStory sessions, then again for Invincible sessions but Mike turned them down both times.

This isn't true, at least not all of them.
(U Don't Have To Call was indeed produced for MJ though)

I have around 15 hours of non-commercially released footage of the "Justified" sessions that can kill some of these myths.

What's A Guy To Do was a track Justin, Chad & Pharrell made together for Justified.
But what's really fucking up my mind is that 5.15 into the video Chad is playing the melody to "Let's take a ride". I don't know if this was meant to be a part of "What's a guy to do" or not though.

This track later on went to Usher, you can grab it here.
http://tinyurl.com/pz9zff

BTW, here's the BMI info:
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp...24674&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID
(Shouldn't Usher's name also be there, even if he just sang on it?)

Take It From Here
Again, this is a track Justin and Pharrell wrote together.
I am not sure the instrumental was done before Justin's arrival to the "Justified" sessions though.

Rock Your Body
Once again, there were no lyrics written to this song, but I have no knowledge if the instrumental was previously made for Michael.

Last Night
Here they are in the studio working on it. The beat is hardly even in a demo condition to send to Michael so I guess Pharrell & Chad came up with it during the Justified sessions:

Nothin' Else
Unfortunately I don't remember much about this one. However I remember a segment where Pharrell and Justin is working on the song and Pharrell I starting to remember the bridge and they get stunned how Pharrell almost forgot that one. However I can't remember if Pharrell said it was something he wrote the other day or a long time ago before the session. I kind of need to look back.

Like I Love You was as good as complete on Justin's arrival in the first studio session - Pharrell sang on the demo version BTW.
What's interesting about this track is that Justin says something like "Don't tell me this isn't the 'Don't stop 'til you get enough 2000'" in one of their sessions.
Why does he say this? Because it was meant for Michael? Or maybe just because it's heavily inspired by DSTYGE with the same rhythm on the guitar in the intro as the low pitched electric piano(?!) in the intro of DSTYGE? And a trained hear can hear a connection with the tom pattern from DSTYGE and the sub bass pattern that hits the same time as the kick in LILY. You can search for connections forever.

I know nothing at all about the history of the other tracks you mentioned though

U Don't Have To Call is ok but I think maybe it would sound better if he had recorded it.

7 leftovers..."We've Had Enough" included??

I think "U Don't Have To" would be a real good look for Michael. Man I get chills by only thinking about Michael singing that beautiful bridge:
"Gonna boogie tonight, 'cause I'm honestly too young of a guy, to stay home waiting for love.
So tonight I'm gonna do what every single man does, and that's party."

If I understood Rodney correctly, there are 7 tracks the world hasn't heard - however, it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot about "We've had Enough".

---

I hope someone had enough passion to read this whole post, and hopefully at least 1 person or so found it interesting :D

+ There's footage of Pharrell and Chad recording "Senorita"... from Drums, to rhodes to percussions e.t.c.
This however doesn't mean that there isn't a demo version made before the actual Justified sessions.

I am working finding some nice info about the thriller album, Michael playing the guitar solo on Billie Jean HIMSELF! The 5.1 mix of Thriller & some info about overdubing of vocals on the song thriller and the "punching in" used :)

- Around 2:45 into "Beat It" you can hear a "wood knocking" sound, and if you listen closely you can also hear a door slamming shortly after it. Rumor has it that someone knocked on the door where Van Halen was recording his guitar solo, then realized the room was occupied and left.

Im sorry but I think this one is just a myth for a few reasons.

The door knocking Sound FX is not on the Van Halens guitar track but on the vocal track.

Vocal Track Sample:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=89IUPMXM

Here on the Guitar track you can hear that it goes straight to the solo. Wouldnt the door knock be on the same track if this story were true?

Guitar Solo Track:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=66SRE3PU

Also the door knock comes before the solo so if someone came in there was plenty of time to redo the solo. It wasnt as if the door knock comes during the solo and decided to keep it because the solo was perfect. Michael is a perfectionist and if someone came in while he was singing. He'd do another take.

Also when you're recording in a studio, there is a warning light telling people outside the studio that a recording is taking place so people DONT just walk in.

Like it said the post. Rumour has it.....................

I am working finding some nice info about the thriller album, Michael playing the guitar solo on Billie Jean HIMSELF! The 5.1 mix of Thriller & some info about overdubing of vocals on the song thriller and the "punching in" used :)

Punching in and out is used all the time in the studio. Michael has probably punch in some vocals or a guitar riff on most of his tracks. Id be surprised if he DIDNT punch in and out.

The 5.1 mix of Thriller is out there 2 BTW. Im not talking fan made either. But its not allowed her for obvious reasons.

Mike missed out massively on this one, imo.

23msk0w.jpg

Justin Timberlake

Señorita

">

(Instrumental)

">

there's a thread over at Max Jax of all the known tracks that Mike passed on over the Epic years...

http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=8590
Thanx for posting arXter:)
First, if anyone of you guys are absolutely sure that I'm wrong then please don't hesitate to correct me, I'm not stubborn! :)

I've also questioned this, like how did they record back then?
I mean now days we plug the guitar in the preamp and straight into the mixer (?!)
And if they used the same recording technique back then, we wouldn't hear it on the record since the sound from the guitar goes straight into the preamp without recording what's going on in the room?!
(Hehe this gets me thinking of the "Eddie Murphy - Party all the time" video where they're all gathered in the "booth")

This isn't true, at least not all of them.
(U Don't Have To Call was indeed produced for MJ though)

I have around 15 hours of non-commercially released footage of the "Justified" sessions that can kill some of these myths.

What's A Guy To Do was a track Justin, Chad & Pharrell made together for Justified.
But what's really fucking up my mind is that 5.15 into the video Chad is playing the melody to "Let's take a ride". I don't know if this was meant to be a part of "What's a guy to do" or not though.

This track later on went to Usher, you can grab it here.
http://tinyurl.com/pz9zff

BTW, here's the BMI info:
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp...24674&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID
(Shouldn't Usher's name also be there, even if he just sang on it?)

Take It From Here
Again, this is a track Justin and Pharrell wrote together.
I am not sure the instrumental was done before Justin's arrival to the "Justified" sessions though.

Rock Your Body
Once again, there were no lyrics written to this song, but I have no knowledge if the instrumental was previously made for Michael.

Last Night
Here they are in the studio working on it. The beat is hardly even in a demo condition to send to Michael so I guess Pharrell & Chad came up with it during the Justified sessions:

Nothin' Else
Unfortunately I don't remember much about this one. However I remember a segment where Pharrell and Justin is working on the song and Pharrell I starting to remember the bridge and they get stunned how Pharrell almost forgot that one. However I can't remember if Pharrell said it was something he wrote the other day or a long time ago before the session. I kind of need to look back.

Like I Love You was as good as complete on Justin's arrival in the first studio session - Pharrell sang on the demo version BTW.
What's interesting about this track is that Justin says something like "Don't tell me this isn't the 'Don't stop 'til you get enough 2000'" in one of their sessions.
Why does he say this? Because it was meant for Michael? Or maybe just because it's heavily inspired by DSTYGE with the same rhythm on the guitar in the intro as the low pitched electric piano(?!) in the intro of DSTYGE? And a trained hear can hear a connection with the tom pattern from DSTYGE and the sub bass pattern that hits the same time as the kick in LILY. You can search for connections forever.

I know nothing at all about the history of the other tracks you mentioned though

I think "U Don't Have To" would be a real good look for Michael. Man I get chills by only thinking about Michael singing that beautiful bridge:
"Gonna boogie tonight, 'cause I'm honestly too young of a guy, to stay home waiting for love.
So tonight I'm gonna do what every single man does, and that's party."

If I understood Rodney correctly, there are 7 tracks the world hasn't heard - however, it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot about "We've had Enough".

---

I hope someone had enough passion to read this whole post, and hopefully at least 1 person or so found it interesting :D
Thanx a lot!:D I didn't know Rock Your Body was originally meant to go to MJ, but I heard about Like I Love You like it's a well-known fact. I myself haven't gotten that info, just heard many people saying that.

Yeah we don't know if Rodney Jerkins forgot "We've Had Enough" or not. Still 6 unreleased songs! I'd love to hear them. Hopefully, someday.

:wild: oooh, new thriller info?!?

Im sorry but I think this one is just a myth for a few reasons.

The door knocking Sound FX is not on the Van Halens guitar track but on the vocal track.
yeah, for some reason I always found this a bit sketchy, lol. You never know with MJ. especially if it's on the vocal track. where did that rumor start? did mj start it?

Punching in and out is used all the time in the studio. Michael has probably punch in some vocals or a guitar riff on most of his tracks. Id be surprised if he DIDNT punch in and out.

The 5.1 mix of Thriller is out there 2 BTW. Im not talking fan made either. But its not allowed her for obvious reasons.
do you know if all the mixes are significantly different, or are they all about the same?

do you know if all the mixes are significantly different, or are they all about the same?

Apart from being mixed into 5.1, there is no difference in the mixing.

However it being put it into 5.1 makes all the difference and sounds fantastic. I have no idea why Thriller 5.1 hasnt been commercially released.

However it being put it into 5.1 makes all the difference and sounds fantastic. I have no idea why Thriller 5.1 hasnt been commercially released.

The Thriller 5.1 mix was mixed very differently, it was a gamble but apparently to the few that got to hear it, its amazing, considering Thriller was not originally mixed with 5.1 in mind, the pieces fit very well. The reason why it was never released was because of the politics betweeen Michael and Sony 2001/2002

Also I think about the punching in, thats the main reason there is no Thriller acapella as you can tell where the punches are as it was recorded onto tape, not the editing we use nowadays

The Thriller 5.1 mix was mixed very differently, it was a gamble but apparently to the few that got to hear it, its amazing, considering Thriller was not originally mixed with 5.1 in mind, the pieces fit very well. The reason why it was never released was because of the politics betweeen Michael and Sony 2001/2002

How was it mixed different cuz I didnt notice apart from things like MJ through front speakers and and keyboards etc in rear but I didnt hear the album itself mixed different. I only heard it once so maybe I was too caught up in hearing it in 5.1

Maybe OtW30 could be released in 5.1 now that Mottola is gone?
Also I think about the punching in, thats the main reason there is no Thriller acapella as you can tell where the punches are as it was recorded onto tape, not the editing we use nowadays

That could very well be it. But there is an acapella out there as there are some DJs Ive been in contact who have it and use it.

How was it mixed different cuz I didnt notice apart from things like MJ through front speakers and and keyboards etc in rear but I didnt hear the album itself mixed different. I only heard it once so maybe I was too caught up in hearing it in 5.1

Maybe OtW30 could be released in 5.1 now that Mottola is gone?

That could very well be it. But there is an acapella out there as there are some DJs Ive been in contact who have it and use it.

You haven't heard the original SACD that was being mixed to 5.1 to be released, its not the same as on DVD's, it was project worked on by a famous producer in 2001 not unless you were invited to his studio, only a few people got to hear that during work in progress, am not sure it was ever fully finished, well not for release anyhows. It

Which DJ's have the thriller acapella, I know of one who was to make or made an official thriller mix who used it later on in his live sets

thanks for posting the commercial BruceWayne!!! U is one cool dude...

I've always thought it's a bit of a shame MJ never took any of the Neptune tracks... everytime I listen to them I'm really trying to figure out how they'd sound with MJ singing them. He'd have probably killed them. Some of them are probably better than the Rodney Jerkins collabs.

Another thing to note is that as good as The Neptune tracks are, imagine how they'd have turned out if MJ worked his magic on them while in production.

oooooooooooooooooh! I get it, lol. I was thinking something else...thanks

Excuse me...., how could the Neptunes make some song for MJs HIStory session 1994-1995???

Are you aware of how old the two from the Neptunes are ??

BTW I have Thriller 5.1 on CD. Iveonly heard it once as I havent had my DTS repaired.

BTW I have Thriller 5.1 on CD. Iveonly heard it once as I havent had my DTS repaired.

The same mix that was going to be released on SACD? not from the dvds? Wow that must have cost a bomb, considering no one has it, not even people who were close friends of the producer who made it, Why not rip it on you're pc and extract the channels? would be interesting

The same mix that was going to be released on SACD? not from the dvds? Wow that must have cost a bomb, considering no one has it, not even people who were close friends of the producer who made it, Why not rip it on you're pc and extract the channels? would be interesting

No not from a DVD. The whole album is in 5.1 Plus I have Bad and Dangerous and I think another album in 5.1 too. I will check it out later tonight when my kidsI goes to bed and have more time.

I can probably up it and share privately with those who want.

No not from a DVD. The whole album is in 5.1 Plus I have Bad and Dangerous and I think another album in 5.1 too. I will check it out later tonight when my kidsI goes to bed and have more time.

I can probably up it and share privately with those who want.

I think they are unofficial upmixes from the stereo albums, using the centre and wide channel extractions, would be interesting to hear how they have layered them, was thinking of making some upmixes myself, having a mess around a bit to get a nice sound field. Apparently the proper Thriller 5.1 had a series of subtle but powerful effects on it and the panning was done so the centre channels just spilled over the the front side speakers using different effects.

I think they are unofficial upmixes from the stereo albums, using the centre and wide channel extractions, would be interesting to hear how they have layered them, was thinking of making some upmixes myself, having a mess around a bit to get a nice sound field. Apparently the proper Thriller 5.1 had a series of subtle but powerful effects on it and the panning was done so the centre channels just spilled over the the front side speakers using different effects.

You're probably right Birch. You can only play them using DTS. Which is why Ive only heard them all once each (my son broke my DTS.....not happy Jan!).

I will up one of them tonight. (So in about 3 hrs I'll start upping)

I played the regular stereo Invincible on my step fathers home theatre system (not sure if its DTS or not) but Invincible was coming through all channels. Invincible isnt mixed in 5.1

G-Man: What's the weirdest thing you've done in the studio? In terms of sonics, I mean.

Forger: Before the advent of digital technology, you needed to be creative acoustically and electronically. In the song "Billie Jean," when Michael sings the line "Do think twice" at end of the third verse, he's singing through a cardboard mailing tube. We often would record elements in the bathroom (tiled) because it would give it a short early reflection quality. The main percussion sound on the song "Beat It" was Michael beating on fiberboard drum cases with 1x3 inch pieces of wood in the mirrored room of Westlake Studio A. This was all normal. Now if you want to talk weird, on one song (not MJ) we ran a tape loop around the room supported by microphone stands on a two track machine. It was a loop of burps and was keyed by the kick and snare to give the effect of drums that were alive and breathing.

http://searchwarp.com/swa6433.htm

I think some members already know this but for those who didn't know...

Sisquo worked with MJ on the Invincible session

Is it a really significan't difference? is the feel of the track majorly enhanced? or just a suttle difference?

- The song 'Mind Is The Magic' was first released in 1995 on Siegfried & Roy's 'Dreams & Illusions' album.

- You can hear the song 'You Can't Win' for a few seconds on a radio in the E.T. film.

- Michael Jackson was given songwriting credit in Rihanna's 'Don't Stop The Music' because it contains the African chant from 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin''.

- The guitar intro and riff in 'Black Or White' was NOT by Slash.

- "Weird Al" Yankovic asked MJ if he could make another parody of his songs, this time 'Black Or White', but MJ didn't want him to do so because he felt that the message of the song was too strong.

- According to Teddy Riley the song 'Remember The Time' is about Michael falling in love with Debbie Rowe in late 80's and early 90's.

- The woman speaking in 'In The Closet' is Princess Stephanie of Monaco, and it was supposed to be a collaboration with Madonna.

- 'Will You Be There' was written while MJ was sitting in a tree at Neverland Ranch.

- Michael wrote 'Speed Demon' after getting a traffic ticket which made him arrive late to a studio once.

- 'On The Line' was originally recorded for the Spike Lee movie 'Get On The Bus', but it didn't make it on the soundtrack.

- Michael wrote 'Speechless' after a water balloon fight with children in Germany. It was also released as a promotional single.

Back