The Official MTV VMA Thread

I give a damn!

I don't CARE if she is BRITNEY SPEARS - SHE DID NOT DESERVE THE AWARD.

PIECE OF ME?

Come on, be realistic - was it a hit? Was the album a hit?

She deserves it? No she doesn't. Not for this album/song at least. Props to her for her earlier hits, but this album SUCKS SO BAD that she rushed to make it, and made it in like 2 months,and now is making a new one. They gave her the award just so they could her bring her back in the positive spotlight and make her look normal. And NO it's NOT OK, cuz they've been giving Michael the hardest of times - what about what HE deserved? None of those poor rap T-Pain T.I. T-Rex, T-MILLION or whatever wouldn't even have BEEN there if that very same Michael Jackson hadn't achieved what he had in music. They kick him all the time, and it's like they took over their throne, instead of praising him for making pop music and MTV so big.

So once again I don't CARE who DESERVED what! Not anymore! Cause they don't care. What about all those brilliant bands and artists that TRULY deserved to win various of awards and DIDN'T because they are NOT BRITNEY SPEARS. And if it's the measurement of success nowadays to come to the awards riding an ELEPHANT and acting like a complete IDIOT then I am glad these bands are "unsuccessful".

So if you don't admit that this was all a setup in Britney's honor, then you are brain-washed as well!

END OF STORY!

everyone can bitch and moan like they always do that Britney won some awards just like they did when Lil Wayne sold a million in a week...Bitching and moaning doesnt do much...Because i am a fan of Britney i could care less how much ppl wanna boo hoo and raise hell that she won some freakin awards....soooo what??????? we know the state of music is a mess...we know the vmas sucked...build a bridge and get over it!!!!!! Like you can comlain about the rpices of gas all you want but at the end of the day youre still gona need to fill that damn tank to get where you want to!! so i would suggest ppl get their fingers out their ass & lighten up geeeeeeeez..... IMI PROUD OF YOU BRIT!!!!!!!

thats true, but it doesn't matter that Christina lip-synched. We all know she can sing.

wow..i wish some people would have that kind of tolerance for another artist. lol (not saying that you didn't show that kind of tolerance, necessarily)

Aguilera very rarely lip-sync's on performances; great vocal talent. and when she does, it's talked about negatively in press and from fans.

everyone can bitch and moan like they always do that Britney won some awards just like they did when Lil Wayne sold a million in a week...Bitching and moaning doesnt do much...Because i am a fan of Britney i could care less how much ppl wanna boo hoo and raise hell that she won some freakin awards....soooo what??????? we know the state of music is a mess...we know the vmas sucked...build a bridge and get over it!!!!!! Like you can comlain about the rpices of gas all you want but at the end of the day youre still gona need to fill that damn tank to get where you want to!! so i would suggest ppl get their fingers out their ass & lighten up geeeeeeeez..... IMI PROUD OF YOU BRIT!!!!!!!

well then you are biased . what else can i say.

just like MJsPYT1 said, I too love music so much to be OK with this. Moan and bitch? No, I am just realistic. If Piece of Me is A GOOD SONG, then God help me , I am going deaf.

Cuz if you agree that music is a mess, and that Britney won , then that just makes it clear that Britney's music is the top of that mess. Easy like that.

thats true, but it doesn't matter that Christina lip-synched. We all know she can sing.

The VMA's are not like the Grammys. The VMA's are not about quality of music, but popularity of music, and as a gossip blogger, Perez Hilton is undeniably in sync with the current pop music scene.

Of course we know she can sing, but without live vocals, what does she have to offer live? I might as well just put in her CD and listen to that instead if she's gonna lip sync. I've seen her live and she was great. This isn't her fault, it's the industries for requring everyone to dance.

she won a prestigious VMA fair and square, d88 buddy. come on now.

though i do believe this is the last sighting of Michael's VMAs:

e04jd5.jpg

Ain't it insane?! And, when one of the reporters asked Perez if Britney really deserved to win all those awards, he said something to the effect of, "You know, I just felt like she needed it this year, I feel like this is the year of Britney's comeback." So, he admitted that he voted for Britney based on the fact that she's trying to getting her life back together after a mess of a year prior. At least we finally have 100% confirmation that the VMA awards are not selected based on musical merit at all. I'm sure that the Britney-given awards were a bribe, "If you come back and introduce the show so that we can hype up your appearance endlessly beforehand, we can assure that you'll win all three awards, and here's a few million bucks while we're at it."

Not only is it insane, it is distrubing. LOL. That clown would not know real music if it slapped him in the face. I was watching Extra on time and they showed a clip of that bitch talking about Madonna. He was like, "She is like GOD!" WTF? I mean, this is the person who is in the "committee" in the VMAs that decides who wins a moonman? Give me a damn break. The guy makes a SIX FIGURE SALARY trashing people and becomes the "expert" in anything that deals with real entertainment. The bastard only cares about what "fits in" and not the quality. Just disgusting. Oh, the VMAs def. bribe Britney into coming. They must have told her some trash in order for her to come. I remember a year ago when Perez Hilton was on the "Mike and Juliet" show talking about the Britney mess. This clown was sitting there basically talking about Britney as if he was a damn fan and a concerned person. However, on his blog, he trashed that woman as if she killed his dog! I mean, he is a two faced asshole. The fact that he basically admitted that he voted for her video to win those moonmen confirmed to me and maybe everyone else on here that the show has no respect for real musicians and artists.

The VMA's are not like the Grammys. The VMA's are not about quality of music, but popularity of music, and as a gossip blogger, Perez Hilton is undeniably in sync with the current pop music scene

If that was the case, how come Rihanna won best R&B thingy in the Grammys last year? If the Grammys were not like the VMAs, then how come MJ won all of those awards from the VMAs? How come Prince, Bon Jovi, Madge, Michael, Janet, Mariah, Whitney, had some of the best performances of their CAREERS on the VMAs? See, the issue is, MTV used to be a music channel. So, they have to have some kind of music expert as a vj on there. Now, take what I said in consideration. Then you have the award show that nominates these artists. Someone in that committee, or maybe the whole committee, have to made up into people who knows MUSIC and not necessary music fans, like Perez clearly is. That is the issue here. Perez is in sync with what he considers in sync, which is bias and not objective. Britney made way better videos than "Piece of Me". That is a fact. How come she didn't get moonmen for any of the videos that she made but got three from a video that looks cheap?

If that was the case, how come Rihanna won best R&B thingy in the Grammys last year? If the Grammys were not like the VMAs, then how come MJ won all of those awards from the VMAs? How come Prince, Bon Jovi, Madge, Michael, Janet, Mariah, Whitney, had some of the best performances of their CAREERS on the VMAs? See, the issue is, MTV used to be a music channel. So, they have to have some kind of music expert as a vj on there. Now, take what I said in consideration. Then you have the award show that nominates these artists. Someone in that committee, or maybe the whole committee, have to made up into people who knows MUSIC and not necessary music fans, like Perez clearly is. That is the issue here. Perez is in sync with what he considers in sync, which is bias and not objective. Britney made way better videos than "Piece of Me". That is a fact. How come she didn't get moonmen for any of the videos that she made but got three from a video that looks cheap?

I agree, but fact of the matter is MTV hasn't been the same for years, I said it before, it died with the nineties.
Take the vj's, as you said, they should be music experts who know what the hell they're talking about (remember Matt Pinfield?) but we get Tila Tequila, and that's just an example. The fact that Perez Hilton is on the comittee is not only batshit charzy but a slap on the face of all 'musicians' on that show, why? cuz it shows that MTV doesn't give a rats ass about music anymore, they only care about cold hard cash and kids today are so retarded that they eat up all the stupid crap they feed them. Unfortunately there seem to be no signs of change, it's been going on for nearly a decade now and I doubt we'll ever see the MTV we used to love.

she won a prestigious VMA fair and square, d88 buddy. come on now.

Under WHAT criteria, just tell me THAT?

Fair and square - are those new words for SET and UP?

Or are you just messing with me and being ironic,arxter? :smilerolleyes:

"set and up" LOL

Or are you just messing with me and being ironic,arxter? :smilerolleyes:
unfortunately, my favourite (and apparently lowest) form of wit doesn't always go down well through puters.

Calm down dangerous. I seriously don't understand what the big deal is. Look at Brit's competition. Is it really such an uproar? Hardly. And some people DO think that "Piece of Me" is a good song. Remember that whole "opinion" concept that so few understand around here? Yeah, it's one of those. And people are taking the whole Perez is a member thing way out of order. Everyone is acting as if he is the sole person responsible for Britney's wins. Thousands voted. Not just him. The only fact needing to be considered is that Britney did indeed win and her competition was far from steep. Get over it. It's not a big deal. Congrats to Britney Spears.

Calm down dangerous. I seriously don't understand what the big deal is. Look at Brit's competition. Is it really such an uproar? Hardly. And some people DO think that "Piece of Me" is a good song. Remember that whole "opinion" concept that so few understand around here? Yeah, it's one of those. And people are taking the whole Perez is a member thing way out of order. Everyone is acting as if he is the sole person responsible for Britney's wins. Thousands voted. Not just him. The only fact needing to be considered is that Britney did indeed win and her competition was far from steep. Get over it. It's not a big deal. Congrats to Britney Spears.

Agreed, but you seem to be forgetting that these are VIDEO awards, the video is being awarded, not the song (which I actually kinda like), the video however...:bugeyed

Oh and P.S. I heard it through the grapevine that Britney's song sucks and that it was ... umm... setup? Yeah,setup.

The general consensus on the show both online here and in the media is the Britney looked great and handed herself well, but the awards she won were a joke and so was the show as a whole.

I still cannot believe how craptacular the whole show was. So glad I recorded that and watched the whole thing in about 4 minutes.

Take the vj's, as you said, they should be music experts who know what the hell they're talking about (remember Matt Pinfield?) but we get Tila Tequila, and that's just an example. The fact that Perez Hilton is on the comittee is not only batshit charzy but a slap on the face of all 'musicians' on that show, why? cuz it shows that MTV doesn't give a rats ass about music anymore, they only care about cold hard cash and kids today are so retarded that they eat up all the stupid crap they feed them. Unfortunately there seem to be no signs of change, it's been going on for nearly a decade now and I doubt we'll ever see the MTV we used to love

I remember Matt very well. He knew his music. You hit the nail in everything that you stated. BTW, Access Hollywood talked about the "rumor" that the VMAs were rigged regarding Britney winning those moonmen. Once again, they caught with the bitch of the year, Perez Hilton and he straight up said that he was in the committee and that he personally voted for the Britney video "Piece of Me" to win. That says a lot.

Yeah, Back in the day, MTV was at the top of its game. I remember Matt Pinfield very well also. He, Kennedy and Anonda Lewis made that channel fun to watch. Once they were no longer around, MTV started going downhill. The Real World was cool as long as they showed more music videos then other stuff. But then they saturated the channel with reality crap (IMO) to compete with Survivor and Fear Factor I think. And the original video format got so obscured until it was almost non-existent. Things just got worse and worse from there (again IMO). And the awards shows got trashy with all kinds of offensive joking and things I won't mention here. I didn't like the jokes that guy Brand told about the Jonas Brothers either. Who was he to talk like that? And him calling the British Royal Family (his own country's monarchy) names was just nasty and wrong too. Anyhow, nowadays the VMAs are all too much about making fun and getting cheap laughs at other people's expense when their accomplishments should be celebrated. What logical and decent reason does MTV have to allow that kind of garbage? It's not cute.

Last edited:
The jokes weren't even funny. I dont think i laughed at any to tell the truth!!!

You mean jokes about Jonas brothers masturbating?

So tasteless... even yet, DISGUSTING!

BTW, Bee - Perez Hilton - bitch of the year? lol! you KILLED it! :) :) :)

For what it's worth we are at least having fun making fun of the VMA's.

And of talents that won... It's setup bitch!

LOL can't help it!

LOL... I mean ALL the jokes..But hey thats just my opinion.Maybe others think different.LOL at the VMAs

how obvious about britney suddenly getting all those awards.
talk about tacky P.R event. wow what an amazing comback after last year *yawn* *shock horror*

I know if I were Britney, every time I looked at those moonmen sitting over the fireplace or
where ever, I'd think how I really didnt deserve them.
But credit where it's due...she looked very sharp, keen and healthy.
A far cry from last year.

^ lol!

Yeah!

Like in Friends - When Phoebe says how he would like to buy the boots but it's not her money - "Every time I'd ever them I'd hear NOT-MINE! NOT-MINE! - and even if I skipped a step it'd be - NOT-NOT-MINE!NOT-NOT-MINE!"

LOL!

Of course we know she can sing, but without live vocals, what does she have to offer live? I might as well just put in her CD and listen to that instead if she's gonna lip sync. I've seen her live and she was great. This isn't her fault, it's the industries for requring everyone to dance.

Well then they need to LEARN how to dance! :lol: I mean, it's fun to watch! People want to dance...it's all about dance music nowadays. It's like we're back to the 80's or something. When you're trying to sell to a younger market these days (the ones buying the music, watching the videos, and downloading from itunes), It's pretty boring to watch someone just stand there and sing. BUT, the only singers that can get away with not dancing are Chrstina, Whitney, Mariah, and the others who have a BIG voice.

And actually, Christina has been dancing in her videos from the very beginning. No, she's not a "dancer", but she's still been dancing since the first video she ever shot.

As for Britney, it's really sad...all of the videos she's done recently are really...AWFUL. Britney used to be at the top of her game. Her videos had real choreography, real concepts, they were good videos. But now? Eeeeew!! They look so cheap, and it's like she just woke up from a nap like an hour before shooting the video or something. She's becoming so sluggish and lazy with her dancing. It's sad, because she's a good dancer/performer.

You don't understand what I mean LovelyOne. And you can't learn to dance, just like you can't learn to sing. You either have the talent or you don't. You can learn a routine, you can learn steps, but you can't learn natural fluidity, speed, accuracy, line, etc... Personally I find it very exciting whne a singer gets up on stage and dilivers a fine vocal performance. I don't want to see you dance unless it's actually a talent of yours. What's the point? I could look in the mirrror then and do the same thing. You only HAVE to dance now a days because Michael inadvertently foreced everyone too by being the best at both and setting the standard so high.

^I'm sorry, but that's a bunch of crap. You can learn to dance, and you can learn to sing. You have to have natural talent to start with, though. Yes, Michael had/has a vocal coach(es). Yes, people taught him moves and helped him with his dancing. BUT, he was naturally talented to start with. Yes, Christina Aguilera had/has vocal coaches, as well as Whitney, Mariah, and everyone else. It's like a sport...you have coaches who help you along the way to cultivate and develop your talents (of course we all know who Michael's original coach was...his dad, who beat it into him...and even though he did the same to his brothers, look who turned out the best? Michael, because he had more natural talent!).

...And you only HAVE to dance today because it's fun to watch. :)

No, you can't learn talent. It has to be innate. You can learn technique, but like I said, you can't learn the natural attributes which one is born with. Michael didn't have a voice coach until he was 23 years old. You can't learn the quality of voice he has, you can't learn to have a natural range as wide as his. You can BRING IT OUT, but if it's not there to begin with, then it's never going to be, no matter how hard you work. Michael has learned steps from other dancers, but he's never been subjected to any sort of formal or informal training and nobody could have taught him to move with the kind of speed, cleanness, accuracy and ease with which he does. Look at his brother Marlon, for example. He worked harder then Michael to learn steps because he didn't have the natural ability Michael does, and he became a decent dancer, but because he lacks natural talent, he can never become a good or great dancer. You can teach someone how to breath technically right as a vocalist, you can help them reach their natural range through coaching, but you cannot give someone a good voice if they are not born with it. Essentially, you're agreeing with me. Training is only there to help bring out what is innate and/or natural in a person, to help one reach the potential that is already within them, but you cannot create talent out of nothing. If the natural ability isn't there, it isn't there. Michael could dance masterfully from the age of 4 and 5, before anyone showed him anything, just from watching other people do it. He started imitating Jermaine's singing voice to a t before he was ever a part of the J5 group. He just COULD.

Christina Aguilera isn't a naturally gifted dancer. She can learn a routine and steps, but no matter how much she practices, she will always be stiff and unfluid, because she doesn't have talent in that area. Talent is what seperates first place from second, talent is what makes Michael look faster, cleaner and more fluid then everyone else when he's dancing next to other dancers who have learned the same routines he has and practiced just as much, etc...

And you have to dance because when Michael came along, the expectation level was raised, unfairly so. Before then, no one had to dance, it wasn't expected, it wasen't required, and rightly so, because there were few performers who could do both well, and Michael was the only one who was the best at both. He changed the way the game is played by default because he's freakishly talented and people felt that in order to compete with what he was offering, they too had to do something similar, whether it was of high quality or not, they just had to do something similar.

Last edited:
Should have watched 'Fashion Rocks' for real talent

they had a tribute to motown, with abit of the jackson 5 too :)

Back