Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Christina

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Beyoncé

Votes: 28 6.4%
  • Pink

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
Not in all cases, no one really says anything about R. Kelly. Whatever he was alleged of doing didn't hurt his career. Neither was the careers of James Brown, Richard Pryor, Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Chuck Berry, and others were affected much by any scandal.

What huge scandals did Richard, Pac, and Snoop have?

Pac and Snoop- It's all a part of their persona. Being a thug and all
Pryor and Berry- Did drugs. But it's OK since every ***** does it - according to the media.
James Brown- Was a wife beater. I really don't know why he didn't get much for it though
R. Kelly- Right around the trials he ran to the studio and wrote, produced and arranged one of the best albums in R&B and it was hit so people forgot about the trial. Ignition (remix), anyone?

What huge scandals did Richard, Pac, and Snoop have?
Snoop was in a murder trial in the early 90s. Tupac was accused of raping a woman. Richard Pryor didn't have a scandal per se, but he did all kinds of crazy stuff back in the 70s like shoot at one of his girlfriends' car, with her in it. He set himself on fire and many other things. Drugs are no joke.

Open your eyes....

Madonna gets away with so much but once the SB incident happens Janet gets scrutinized!?! And you're trying to tell me race doesn't play factor!?! GTFOH!

Lol, no Madonna is not popular because of her race, race might mean something when it comes to popularity in the US, but Madonna is not incredible huge in the States any-more.. Her main market is Europe, and I can assure you that most Europeans were laughing their ass of about the way Americans reacted because of seeing Janet's boobs :doh:

Lol, no Madonna is not popular because of her race, race might mean something when it comes to popularity in the US, but Madonna is not incredible huge in the States any-more.. Her main market is Europe, and I can assure you that most Europeans were laughing their ass of about the way Americans reacted because of seeing Janet's boobs :doh:
Well, the UK is the land of Benny Hill and the page 3 girl, lol. (And I know that the UK is not all of Europe.) :p

Well, the UK is the land of Benny Hill and the page 3 girl, lol. (And I know that the UK is not all of Europe.) :p

Lol, Benny Hill was cool, but he died ages ago, and a lot of things has happened in Europe since his heydays :D

Snoop was in a murder trial in the early 90s. Tupac was accused of raping a woman. Richard Pryor didn't have a scandal per se, but he did all kinds of crazy stuff back in the 70s like shoot at one of his girlfriends' car, with her in it. He set himself on fire and many other things. Drugs are no joke.

Pac and Snoop- It's all a part of their persona. Being a thug and all
Pryor and Berry- Did drugs. But it's OK since every ***** does it - according to the media.
James Brown- Was a wife beater. I really don't know why he didn't get much for it though
R. Kelly- Right around the trials he ran to the studio and wrote, produced and arranged one of the best albums in R&B and it was hit so people forgot about the trial. Ignition (remix), anyone?

Well these seem more like psychological problems beyond control. But I don't think neither of them reached the heights of Superbowl of Madonna's Sex Book.

Point is, race does play a factor in one's success. And Trueiopian put it into perspective. I can't wait to see what Jona has to say about it and her entire argument just got drug in the mud lol

Tell me something I don't know.

BTW it was called black music, not race music. And black artists albums weren't even charted on the pop charts. They were charted on the "Black Albums" chart.

In the 1930s and 40s, music from blacks was called "race music" (or "jungle bunny music" unofficially).

Jungle bunny music? Lawdhamercy! :O
Book-RaceMusicMusicBlackAmerica.jpg

No, it's not only the SB! Janet gets teased for singing about sex. And is written off for that but people seem to forget that Madonna sings about sex like no other and is 51! Race is embedded in the back of everyone's head even if you or anyone claims to not see race as factor. It is! Let's say Janet were a white woman and JT was a black man and the SB happened! Who would get the fault? JT, of course! America doesn't want to see a black woman's sexuality displayed they say the black community have the highest aids rate when most of the patients checking to the government hospitals are WHITE MALES! Please give me a break! and don't try to tell me race doesn't play the factor! It's just another way to push this issue to the side!

People spit on Janet right after the SB and MJ during his trials! It's all because of one thing.
Madonna stopped singing about sex a loooong time ago. Janet still does one or two x-rated song per album. That's why she's written off.

Yes, Madonna is what she is today solely because she's white. You're all totally right. It all makes sense. Blacks have it VERY hard in the music business despite the fact it's dominated by them. Perfectly reasonable explanation.

Thanks for putting everything in to perspective...

So let's see here... Todays lesson is, when all else fails, pull out the race card. it makes everything else null and void.

Woe is me.

And also I never said race is the sole reason why Madonna is where she's at now but it does play a factor.

I think this thread is going 2 B put out to pasture soon, lol.

Madonna stopped singing about sex a loooong time ago. Janet still does one or two x-rated song per album. That's why she's written off.

Yes, Madonna is what she is today solely because she's white. You're all totally right. It all makes sense. Blacks have it VERY hard in the music business despite the fact it's dominated by them. Perfectly reasonable explanation.

Thanks for putting everything in to perspective...

So let's see here... Todays lesson is, when all else fails, pull out the race card. it makes everything else null and void.

Woe is me.

Blacks have to work twice as hard to get half the credit in the music industry...or any given industry. This is a known fact.

Just look at the 40s, 50s, and 60s. White artists were always stealing from black artists. Prime example, Elvis. Notice how a black act has to "cross over" in order to make it big in mainstream America? What audience do you think they are "crossing over" to? Certainly not the Latinos. You need to wake up and realize being white in the industry has a lot to do with success. Madonna being white already gives her an advantage because A) most of america is white, and B) Whites are the major consumers in America.

Blacks have it twice as hard whether if you want to admit it or not. And it's not playing the race card, it's called being in touch with reality. A realm of life I see you're not too familiar with.

Still going to be the odd one out and say Britney lol. She is the only one with the fame to back it up. She is a pop phenom that's really really rare.

I do agree that Madonna can get away with lots of things being white. If Madonna pulled off the superbowl thing they would just excuse it as "her being her" or "she's an artist, she's always controversial" but with Janet it was blown way out of proportion and it's sad that that issue continues to cripple her.

it's sad that that issue continues to cripple her.

It might cripple her in the states, in Europe very few people care at all... The main reason for Janet not doing very well any-more is that her music has gone down hill and that she has been releasing incredible dull music for more than a decade.... Her last great album was The velvet rope, and I'm not the least surprised that her music has been doing worse and worse since that album, because it has mostly been bland and boring....

The personal attacks on each other will stop right now, take it to PM. Some posts have been deleted.

Ya'll better turn this thread around with valid points instead of petty arguments or it will be closed.

Blacks have to work twice as hard to get half the credit in the music industry...or any given industry. This is a known fact.

Just look at the 40s, 50s, and 60s. White artists were always stealing from black artists. Prime example, Elvis. Notice how a black act has to "cross over" in order to make it big in mainstream America? What audience do you think they are "crossing over" to? Certainly not the Latinos. You need to wake up and realize being white in the industry has a lot to do with success. Madonna being white already gives her an advantage because A) most of america is white, and B) Whites are the major consumers in America.

Blacks have it twice as hard whether if you want to admit it or not. And it's not playing the race card, it's called being in touch with reality. A realm of life I see you're not too familiar with.

Perfect post!

If Madonna was black, America wouldn't be able to "forgive" her Sex Book, the "American Life", "Hard Candy", "Erotica" et cetera flops. America would NEVER "allow" her to masturbate on stage or being slutty for that matter.

And Jona: the reason why Madonna is semi-successful today is a mix of marketing and false moralism.

It's always the same few people who throw out race when things go awry. I think most are aware of those same few people and have come to expect it. Using race as a means to dismiss, discredit, and demean others accomplishments is a safety blanket for them.

I'm not going down this road and I think it's very sad so many here have to when things don't go their way. They don't like Madonna or the poll results (Janet didn't win) so they scream racism. I can guarantee had Janet of came out on top no one would have said a damn thing.

Janet's career being in the toilet had very little to do with racism. She was showing her breasts on magazine covers and in videos long before nipplegate came along and nobody cared. The reason the SB incident was a big deal was because many many MANY families and children were watching and parents didn't want their children to see nudity. I don't blame them. Also, even though Janet claims she didn't plan it, it DID look very staged. Racism maybe played a very small part but certainly wasn't the reason she started making crappy lackluster albums that have been sub-par since Velvet Rope. Even before the Super Bowl debacle things were not looking good for Janet since she was failing to chart her singles from the album. She needs to become inspired again and release a good album free of all her cliches and she'll do fine. It sounds awful, but since MJ passed, there will most likely be renewed interest in Janet.

Again, I said Madonna stopped singing about sex all the time after the Erotica album and I stick to it.

Also, the SEX book wasn't a flop. It sold out completely and is still selling for HUGE prices on eBay. Madonna's under performing albums are Erotica and American Life. They sold 5 million each worldwide. They are only considered a "flop" in the USA. Hard Candy is nowhere near being a "flop" being that it produced a huge hit single known as "4 Minutes" and is STILL a top 10 best seller worldwide.

So stop rewriting history, making everything and everyone a racist, and deal with the "reality" you are speaking of yourself. Do I believe that black artists all still have it hard in the music industry? No. I think the music industry is now very black friendly. Call me racist or unrealistic all you want. I'm judging this by what I hear on my radio and see on my tv. If you have a problem with it call your local MTV and radio stations.

FAIL.

Last edited:
some people may not like her.. im not really a fan.. but Madonna definitely is the Queen of Pop. The longevity and the impact she made.

In England a lot of people seem to not even know Janet was a pop star. I've heard people talkin about her performance at the vmas and were like 'so now she is trying to be famous!' They never knew she's a star in her own right..

Back