Tribute 2009 - Jermaine Jackson and World Awards Media [merged]

Re: Jackson Tribute Date Announced

mmmm anyone know a good flight deal?

Maybe we should work out who wants to go from London, and try to all book the same flight etc. I found one on b.a for £150

Also with regards to artists playing tributes - if it is all modern artists you might as well go to party in the park or the capital summertime ball!

If your not happy about it don't go and don't watch it, its that simple.

Read my post properly. I already said I won't be buying tickets if I don't see full details first. It goes without saying that I won't be going if I'm not happy with the line up.

Well if you look at it this way, we already know how much the oldies cared about MJ, because they have been around for so long. But, the younger generation (like myself) are less interested in acts such as Lionel and Stevie. For the event we want to educate the younger people as to who MJ was and what he achieved. I think modern acts who they could relate to may bring the point across better.

Yes, I believe that in order to reap the full benefit for Mike's estate in terms of Mike's future image and earnings potential, this concert needs to be a commercial success. the best way to do that is to have predominantly modern artists performing. The future of the recording industry is in the hands of modern artists whether you like it or not, because they're the ones who are selling most records (in general). They're the ones who appeal to the widest market.
the truth of the matter is now Mike is gone, the estate needs to manage Mike's image as best it can to safeguard longevity and future earnings for his kids. They should ensure that whatever happens, Mike's estate benefits in one way or another - financially or image-wise. All I'm saying is that I think in order to improve Mike's image with today's record-buying public (i.e. the younger generation who will carry on his legacy) and to improve his longevity the organisers should should include acts that will more than likely appeal to the younger generation.
We don't know for certain who will be on the bill, so there's not much point arguing over this point too much. Let's just wait and see.

Im 22 and still would love to see Stevie, Lionel etc. more than Akon, Will-i-am so its not an age thing at all.

Well you're not a typical 22 year old then. Most 22 year olds would rather see modern artists.

no definitely not an age thing because i too am young but do not enjoy most of the modern artists out there

Again, you're not typical of somebody your age.

then please do. I hope all tha negative posters don't bother to watch.

Don't worry, I'm sure they (like me) won't buy tickets. At best they will watch on the net or on TV (IF Jermaine can get a network to show it)

Maybe we should work out who wants to go from London, and try to all book the same flight etc. I found one on b.a for £150

Also with regards to artists playing tributes - if it is all modern artists you might as well go to party in the park or the capital summertime ball!

There's a reason why so many of that type of event are so popular year after year. I can't imagine a show featuring the oldies being so popular. Can you?

Last edited:

On the BBC interactive (red button) news service it quotes Jermaine as saying that he has asked 'famous friends' to take part in the tribute. This pretty much confirms to me that this will be a disappointment.
As great as people like Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder are, I personally feel that if it is to be remembered as being a great celebration and tribute to the King of Pop, it needs to have a lineup of mostly contempory acts.
They're saying there will be about 10 acts. That hardly hints at a show which artists are falling over themselves to be involved with. As with all of Jermaine's other projects, this is probably going to fall on it's ass and be an embrassment to MJ. IF it does go ahead it will still be an embarassment to MJ.
The world wants to see todays heavy hitters paying tribute to the King of Pop, not a line up of older artists like Liza Minelli, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Bee Gees etc. they may have been great in their time but I believe Mike's legacy requires an outstanding show of support from CURRENT stars to reinforce that he was still important to people today.
If at all possible the line up should include artists like Beyonce, Kanye West, Justin, Fall Out Boy, Usher, Ne yo, Akon - big stars of today.

A healthy mixture of the two would be the best. As for me, give me Stevie Wonder any time over Usher, but I realize young folks are not used to great, original artists any more, so give them Usher &Co. too. ;) A good mixture of young artists and legends!

There's a reason why so many of that type of event are so popular year after year. I can't imagine a show featuring the oldies being so popular. Can you?

Lol!!! Because it people following the crowd of popular music at the moment.

So if there was a show with line up - Tina Turner , Stevie Wonder. Smokey Robinson , Lionel Richie , Phil Collins, Cher etc.....

or Akon, Eminem, Beyonce, Jayz, Sugababes etc (you get my point) you would choice the modern one to go to, bearing in mind its a tribute to Michael?

Why even watch the show on TV if your going to just be negative? I have never seen as much negativity in a fan base as I do with MJ's which is sad considering he was such a positive person.

I know alot of people in their 20's that don't like the "music" of these modern artists. I agree alot of it is rubbish. There are a few I wouldn't mind seeing, ultimately I think a mixture would be best. But because a few people here wouldn't buy tickets if it is the oldies doesn't really matter. I think it will be a huge success no matter who is singing.

Re: Tribute 2009 - Jermaine Jackson and World Awards Media

I don't trust Jermaine this is the same dude that accused his own brother of lying about vitiligo and stalking gay men and hating women. It was part of a book proposal in 2003 that no publisher wanted to touch but I guess now that Mike is dead, Jemaine will gleefully get that type of trash published, Mike had nobody that gave a damn about him except his 3 kids who need him and are now they hunted and preyed on by too many people.

I don't trust Jermaine this is the same dude that accused his own brother of lying about vitiligo and stalking gay men and hating women. It was part of a book proposal in 2003 that no publisher wanted to touch but I guess now that Mike is dead, Jemaine will gleefully get that type of trash published, Mike had nobody that gave a damn about him except his 3 kids who need him and are now they hunted and preyed on by too many people.

Why post that? Jermaine is a wonderful person who has done a lot for his brother, especially in his death.

Why post that? Jermaine is a wonderful person who has done a lot for his brother, especially in his death.

Because it's the truth, Jermaine is slime and it's sad that fans are so desperate they are willing to ignore how he backstabbed Michael every chance he got and probably will pimp MJ's death to restart his nonexistent career.

Im always amused by fans so delusional that they think they know Michael better or care for him more than his own family did.

THE death of Michael Jackson has given his older brother Jermaine Jackson an opportunity to resuscitate his career, which he's trying to do with the help of an unlikely partner -- Larry King's wife, Shawn. But it's not proving to be an easy task.

The two planned a "Happy Birthday Michael Jackson" televised tribute in front of a live audience of 250,000 in Vienna on Aug. 29, but couldn't get it organized in time.

"We wanted to make sure that everyone [who] wanted to be there could be there," Shawn explained the other night on CNN's "Larry King Live."

It's also possible they couldn't line up enough talent, sponsors and broadcasters.

Now the date's been pushed back to Sept. 26, Page Six has learned. Usher, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston have confirmed they will perform, Shawn's spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, said yesterday. But Houston's spokeswoman, Jill Fritzo, said, "Not that I am aware of."

Shawn and Jermaine plan to sing their duet, "Will You Be There," and release a CD from the event. "She's known Jermaine for quite a while," Rubenstein said. "They always intended to do something together."

But some insiders wondered yesterday if the Jackson tribute will ever come off. The original promotional materials, which sought sponsors willing to pay up to $3 million, listed President Obama as "confirmed talent" as well as Al Pacino, Colin Powell and Richard Branson. But a White House source said the president is definitely not planning to attend. World Awards producer Georg Kindel, who's also part of the project, hinted that Madonna would perform. But her spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, said, "It's not true. She's still on tour."

An executive involved in handling Michael Jackson's estate said, "We have nothing to do with it. It's all Jermaine." Another insider said, "It's sleazy."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08122009/gossi...alls_184138.htm

I am amazed London was not the location, and who will Jermaine have performing. He's promised us for years about a J5 reunion, I like Jermaine, but don't have much faith in him.

Im always amused by fans so delusional that they think they know Michael better or care for him more than his own family did.

Nope, just his past history has proven what I've said to be truth, Word to the Badd anyone? face it nobody in that family gave a damn about Mike accept his three kids and maybe his mother on a good day.

Word Tot he Bad was how LONG ago? Michael didn't talk bad about Jermaine but you all think it is ok. I thnk he would be so disappointed. And yes read through the thread after thread where everyone in his family is criticized. Fans here do act like they know better. Sometimes it is almost scary

Yea, we shouldn't talk bad about his family. I really don't Mike would appreciate it.

I apologize for anything I have said before, want happen again.

That website is looking good. While I was surprised Vienna was picked to be the location, it's a beautiful city and I think the Schoenbrunn palace is a mighty fine choice for the venue. I visited it years ago and it was instant love. I don't know much about Jermaine, so I won't comment other than at least he is doing something for Michael. I wonder how the annual part of the plan is going to work out though?

Tribute concert pushed back

got this from perez

Michael Jackson memorial disaster

Yes, there will be another one!!

Jermaine Jackson is was planning a Happy Birthday Michael Jackson televised tribute later this month, yet failed to get it organized in time.

We're sure this is just an excuse to revive his flailing musical career as he's set to perform a duet with an unlikely partner, Larry King's wife, Shawn.

WTF?!

"We wanted to make sure that everyone [who] wanted to be there could be there," Shawn explained about the memorial not happening as planned.

The tribute was scheduled for August 29th in front of a 250,000 crowd in Vienna, but supposedly they couldn't line up enough talent, sponsors or broadcasters.

Shocker!

Since the date as been pushed back one month, Shawn's spokesman, Howard Rubenstein confirmed Usher, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston will perform.

Yet, Houston's rep denies the claim!

The original promotional materials, which were looking for sponsors willing to pay up to $3 million, listed confirmed talent such as President Obama, Al Pacino, Madonna, Colin Powell and Richard Branson.

White House sources and Madonna's rep both confirmed that neither party will be in attendance!

We're seeing a pattern here!

Shawn and Jermaine plan to sing their duet, "Will You Be There," and release a CD from the event!

We sure it's all for the $$$$$ memories!!!

I hope it goes well and those who decide to go have a great time.

I cant be done with the draining element of tickets etc. The stress of getting Michael tickets still hasnt wore off and then the subsequent event....

It was nice to see people still lighting candles at the 02 on Monday. The boards are still there. However just spooky walking around the place - I dont know if I could ever attend a concert there......

Have gone from someone who purchased tickets galore to someone who hasnt purchased any. The whole Ticketmaster/AEG thing from beginning to end!

regarding Jermaine......... families have ups and downs and for us we can just quietly continue whereas there's is out in the public arena.

I think he genuinely is wanting to keep and remind people of Michael Jackson - there are also children who are going to need provision and protection financially so money needs to be made. Also, if I died and my sister was out there making a bit of money I would be happy for her to - I dont see the problem in it - he still has a family to feed and also the whole Jackson family now will find intrusion and therefore probs a level of security to pay for.

Re: Tribute concert pushed back

got this from perez

Michael Jackson memorial disaster

Yes, there will be another one!!!!

How effing disrespectful.... :no:

Re: Tribute concert pushed back

Guys ignore that fool and stop giving hits to his website.

I personally love the jackson family always have and anyways all familys have fall out and arguments just the world get to see this happening with the jackson,i wld love to go looks like a lovely setting but i am thinking it will be alot of money and that is something i havent got at the moment :-(,really hoping a memorial concert or something will be in london somewhere though,if this is on tv i will be deffly watching xxx

Did Jermaine really put out a book proposal about MJ stalking gay men and hating women?? I need confirmation on that one..please.

And yes, Schoenbrunn is simply breathtaking. I visited this summer and once my friend and I came off the long trail from the zoo and entered that open space, I was almost floored. Simply beautiful. The palace wasn't the most beautiful to me though, it was the other end with the fountain and sculpture..

Yea, back on topic...wonder why Vienna?

Back