Weekend News Bytes 14 March 09 - 15 March 09

Why would Annie Lennox ever say something like that??? How disrespectful, i don't know to believe that, I thought she was a very classy person, but i guess i was wrong.

Well let them say what they want, the sold out shows, broken records, and soon to be number one album and singles ;) speak for themselves.

As Vcnwilliams siggy says, the unsolicited negative comments come from envy.

Yesterday they showed a short report about MJ: No word that the concerts are outsold (why bother to mention?) and also they said he does less than 50 concerts. As if it would hurt to tell the truth sometimes. Also they let Annie Lennox talk: She called hím a freak and freakish. Amazing that they always talk to people who not even know MJ.
The reports on CNN were much more truthful.

I'm really surprised if Annie Lennox said that, just the other week she was saying how she felt sorry for him but had a huge amount of respect for him as an artist and thought he was really talented and was excited about him coming back.

annie lennox is in my opinion not that interesting a person, i think she uses her celeb, to support causes in order to heighten herself to the public. Without it im sure she would have faded away long ago.

also even though i did not buy a ticket cos of me being all the way in netherlands, with parents who wouldnt buy me tix if i asked. I will be thinking of mike and all you guys there, have fun. And good luck mj, hope this sparks a new creativity within you. maybe in 3 years another tour?

Who cares about what Annie Lenox or any other has been washed out star says, the fact that Michael doesn't respond to them or any of it publicly speaks volumes of how much of a class act he is and they aren't, enough said.

CNN can deny all they want on their live news broadcast but surprisely they were the 1st to announce the "sell out" on their online news page...umm..

and People mag.
Report: Michael Jackson Sells Out 50 Concerts in Hours

By Clarissa Cruz
Originally posted Saturday March 14, 2009 01:50 AM EDT
Michael Jackson Photo by: MJ Kim / Getty
michael_jacksona180.jpg

tiiQuigoWriteAd(757767, 1348106, 180, 240, -1); Sales of Michael Jackson's just-announced comeback performances in London have been thrilling: his run of 50 U.K. concerts scheduled to begin on July 8 sold out five hours after tickets went on sale on Friday, according to promoters.

The 50-year old pop star was originally slated to perform 10 concerts for his This Is It tour at London's O2 Arena, but the overwhelming fan response – 750,000 tickets have been sold to date at the rate of 11 tickets per second – led organizers to expand the run to 50 shows, ending on February 24, 2010.

"Michael's already pretty much put together a list of the dancers he wants," Randy Phillips of promoters AEG Live told BBC Radio. "Michael's very engaged now."

The unprecedented sales come despite the fact Jackson hasn't recorded an album since 2001's Invincible and has gotten more attention in recent years for his bizarre behavior and, in 2005, his acquittal on child abuse charges.

The "King of Pop" has sold around 750 million records and won 13 Grammys

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20265752,00.html

Michael Jackson tickets gone

Still no word on whether Jackson will be playing in any other cities as part of his comeback/farewell. With the amount of money he'll be no doubt making for 50 nights, the King of Pop probably doesn't need to add any other cities.

http://www.examiner.com/x-963-DC-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2009m3d13-Michael-Jackson-tickets-gone

GMTV
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/200...n-o2-arena-residency-sells-out#history-byline
//

insertVideoObject("460", "370", 'http://static.guim.co.uk/static/71595/common/flash/brightcovewrapper.swf', "configSuffix=16450676001&videoId=16450676001&playerId=979376896&vHeight=370&vWidth=460&showOverlay=true&adServerURL=http%3A%2F%2Fads.guardian.co.uk%2Fhtml.ng%2Fspacedesc%3Dvideo%26system%3Dvideo%26title%3D16450676001%26site%3DMusic%26url%3D%25252Fmusic%25252F2009%25252Fmar%25252F13%25252Fmichael-jackson-o2-arena-residency-sells-out%26comfolder%3DPopMusic%26keywords%3D%252CMichael%252BJackson%252CPop%252Band%252Brock%252B%2528Music%252Bgenre%2529%252CMusic%252CCulture%252Bsection%252C%26series%3D%26bandwidth%3Dbroadband%26tile%3D2816074");
Fans of the 'King of Pop' queue overnight as first concert tickets are made

Five things we learned from the ***** ticket scrum

What does it take to guarantee the best seats for Michael Jackson's London residency? We find out in this dispatch from the front line of the O2 arena queue
Punters-queue-in-the-earl-001.jpg
Not a Greenwich shanty town, but the queue for Michael Jackson tickets. Photograph: Mark Beaumont/guardian.co.uk

Fifty dates, a million tickets on sale, yet barely half of the demand covered. The hype generated around Michael Jackson's O2 arena residency – the pre-announced setlist of wall-to-wall classics, the whimpered promise of "my last shows in London" designed to provoke a rush to the ticket booths (while not ruling out another 50 dates in Newport Pagnell, if demand continues) – has made it the biggest ticket scramble in living memory. So just how determined do you have to be to get a ticket? What sort of person tries to guarantee themselves a seat within backside-waggling distance of ***** himself? I found myself shivering outside the O2 arena at 5am this morning in an attempt to find out …

1/ The laws of the ticket queue are draconian, but fragile
"We got here at 5am yesterday," says 52-year-old Pauline Binet, tenth in line alongside her seven months pregnant daughter Victoria. "We've had a few hiccups where people have pushed in. We've told security and they've removed them."
"If you don't know who your neighbour is," agrees 24-year-old Sarah Vanderpuije, a close friend of the Binet's since they met in the queue 24 hours ago, "they pick them out."
Behind them stretches a makeshift shanty town of around 1,000 souls; camp beds, inflatable mattresses, tents and cooking utensils stretch all the way to North Greenwich tube station. Yet at 6am, Pauline's rules of queue enforcement are swiftly ignored. Someone takes too long packing away their sleeping bag and the person behind them slips past. Five kids sneak in halfway down the line. Suddenly it's a frantic free-for-all with hundreds of desperate queue jumpers racing between barriers, clawing past each other like some kind of tout Olympics. Your overnight companion is suddenly your arch enemy; bloodshed is only narrowly avoided.

2/ Michael Jackson lookalikes are not among his biggest fans
There's certainly none of them here, at any rate. At least not at the front, where you'd expect to find 50 moonwalking, Thriller-jacketed freaks eee-heeing into their fedoras. Instead, there's only a clutch of modestly attired young girls and dodgy-looking geezers dialling the ticket line on five mobiles each. And not all of the overnight campers seem to be avid Jackophiles. "These guys have everything!" yelps Ava Jackson (no relation), 17, from Eltham. "They've come with a TV, an X Box, a cooker, a microwave, a poker table …" Her friend Ayesha Obi, 19, from Lewisham chips in. "I feel like they've done this before."
Have you spotted any profiteers?
"Yeah," Ava nods. "Calling him the usual, slating him."

3/ To be sure of seeing the gig, you can't have much of a life
Ava and Ayesha, the first people in the queue, have been here since Wednesday evening, a full 36 hours ago. "The first night was a bit damp but it was OK," says Ayesha with the thousand-yard stare of a Japanese soldier emerging from the jungle 40 years after the war ended. "We brought enough stuff to be comfortable. I've waited a long time to see him live and I want to get the best seats possible."

4/ Being a diehard Michael Jackson fan requires a lot of self-delusion
"I saw him at the press conference last week and he looks great, healthy, confident," says Murtaza Arif, 33, from Enfield. "He's the 21st-century pop icon, there's no one like him. People are still going to talk about him a century later, like Handel and Beethoven."
What about the rumours he might be miming the whole set?
"He wouldn't," says Ayesha. "And even if he does I'm still happy to pay to see him live." "He's magical," Ava adds, "so whatever he does is gonna be fantastic."

5/ Michael Jackson tickets are better than drugs
There is an en masse countdown to 7am, like we're seeing in the Chinese Year Of The *****. As the box office clerks lift the booth shutters they are greeted with hysterical screams, as if Jackson himself was dishing out tickets. The first 50 in the queue are led inside the O2 to be sold the front-row seats, their frostbitten fingers barely capable of tapping in their pins. Ayesha, the first person to buy a ticket, is suddenly deluged by TV and radio crews, her 15 minutes well and truly underway. All around, fans are weeping or yelping euphorically while clutching their tickets as if they're tokens of immortality. Owning a ***** ticket brings not only intense elation but also the envy of your peers and national celebrity. Which is far more than any drugs ever did for me. For some minutes I seriously consider joining the four-hour queue. Hype, it seems, is infectious.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/13/michael-jackson-o2-arena-ticket-scrum

Yesterday they showed a short report about MJ: No word that the concerts are outsold (why bother to mention?) and also they said he does less than 50 concerts. As if it would hurt to tell the truth sometimes. Also they let Annie Lennox talk: She called hím a freak and freakish. Amazing that they always talk to people who not even know MJ.
The reports on CNN were much more truthful.

When you say "they" showed a short report about MJ, who is "they"? And they didn't mention that the concerts were sold out, something seems off there.

I also find it strange that Annie Lennox would call him a freak, given other recent comments about him she's made. IDK, whoever "they" are, have to wonder exactly which program or station this was shown on, just asking.

who would have thought a 50 year old artist with over 40years in the business would have a fan base that looks like and as enthusiastic as this !!!

// &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp insertVideoObject("460", "370", 'http://static.guim.co.uk/static/71595/common/flash/brightcovewrapper.swf', "configSuffix=16450676001&videoId=16450676001&playerId=979376896&vHeight=370&vWidth=460&showOverlay=true&adServerURL=http%3A%2F%2Fads.guardian.co.uk%2Fhtml .ng%2Fspacedesc%3Dvideo%26system%3Dvideo%26title%3 D16450676001%26site%3DMusic%26url%3D%25252Fmusic%2 5252F2009%25252Fmar%25252F13%25252Fmichael-jackson-o2-arena-residency-sells-out%26comfolder%3DPopMusic%26keywords%3D%252CMicha el%252BJackson%252CPop%252Band%252Brock%252B%2528M usic%252Bgenre%2529%252CMusic%252CCulture%252Bsect ion%252C%26series%3D%26bandwidth%3Dbroadband%26til e%3D2816074");

The freak is Annie Lennox. The fact that she made a career dressing like a man and looking like a clown tells a lot about her. She, like a lot of jealous, media whore acts is an act. She is not the real deal like Michael. She lowered herself to call a man of respect and class a "freak" because she realizes that her career went to the toliet years ago and she is jealous that Mike can go through so much and still have fans waiting for his return. That old hag has no fans but maybe he silly buddies in the media and the entertainment business giving a damn what she does in her finished career. And of course she uses causes to promote her career. That is all she has going for her. I mean, let's be real, who really cares what she does? No one. Yet, people care what MJ does. That is the huge difference between a true media whore freak like Annie Lennox and a true legend like Michael Jackson. I mean, think about it, who buys her damn music?

what an achievement Michael did this week.........sellling out 50 shows in over 4hrs (I am including the Pre sale tickets)...without any new music...without any special opening act being announced...without any big TV interview....without the help of any big media outlet...

he sold these tickets all on his persona and his legendary status...that is a fete ...
I know I said it b4 but I am so extremely happy for him... I can't even to begin to know how he is feeling after being out of the game for sooooooooooo long...and being defiled by so many people for soooooooooooo long...

who ever has the 1st nights ticket... I know that opening night is going to be emotional .. super electric and mesmerizing all at the same time...

Last edited:
Bee then don't stoop to her level and let it be. she wants to slag off on him, let her. it only shows her true character IF this is true. cuz i read somewhere recently that she was praising him.

but talking down on her to bring mj up does the opposite effect i reckon. keep an open mind, right?

The freak is Annie Lennox. The fact that she made a career dressing like a man and looking like a clown tells a lot about her. She, like a lot of jealous, media whore acts is an act. She is not the real deal like Michael. She lowered herself to call a man of respect and class a "freak" because she realizes that her career went to the toliet years ago and she is jealous that Mike can go through so much and still have fans waiting for his return. That old hag has no fans but maybe he silly buddies in the media and the entertainment business giving a damn what she does in her finished career. And of course she uses causes to promote her career. That is all she has going for her. I mean, let's be real, who really cares what she does? No one. Yet, people care what MJ does. That is the huge difference between a true media whore freak like Annie Lennox and a true legend like Michael Jackson. I mean, think about it, who buys her damn music?

:clapping:

so..now we know. that MJ doesn't need radio. we know...he doesn't need promotion(despite his humble plea for it on Invincible, so we now know the album did well). and we know...that his career is impervious to slings and arrows. this is the perfect career that all celebrities wish for.

bee and co, i really find it hard to believ Annie would say this, and if she has then its so out of character. as in recent interview you had praise and said she hoped he would comeback strong and that she feels he dont get a fair deal.

Terry

I feel the same.
I hate when media are so nosy about Michaels money. Why they don't investigate Madonna and her finances? I doubt everything is so great for her or any other star.

That is what ticks me off as well.

bee and co, i really find it hard to believ Annie would say this, and if she has then its so out of character. as in recent interview you had praise and said she hoped he would comeback strong and that she feels he dont get a fair deal.

Terry

well...it's possible but don't quote me on this, but it can be human nature, that Annie Lennox was 'praising him' not seeing o2 coming. now that it has happened, she said what she really thinks.

what an achievement Michael did this week.........sellling out 50 shows in over 4hrs (I am including the Pre sale tickets)...without any new music...without any special opening act being announced...without any big TV interview....without the help of any big media outlet...

he sold these tickets all on his persona and his legendary status...that is a fete ...
I know I said it b4 but I am so extremely happy for him... I can't even to begin to know how he is feeling after being out of the game for sooooooooooo long...and being defiled by so many people for soooooooooooo long...

who ever has the 1st nights ticket... I know that opening night is going to be emotional .. super electric and mesmerizing all at the same time...

Child, I agree. this week, MJ made all his haters and critics look stupid.Where are all the people like Bill Oreilly, Wendy Williams, Doug Banks, DeDe Mcguire, erc said he was "washed up", "finished", "over", etc located in talking about this. Doug Banks/Dede tried to say MJ paid fans to come to the conference, now look, the shows SOLD OUT. I guess he paid for all that huh? Wait, He is suppose to be broke.:smilerolleyes: See how stupid MJ haters sound? Some folks eve tried to say why would MJ tour since he has not had a hit single (well Madonna does not have hit. Neither does Prince, Rolling stones, Tina turner, etc but they are touring. Why don't these people talk about these celebs-and none of these celebs have been through the mud lately like Mike YET Mike came back and out sold all of them including the celebs with the current hits?). So at this point, haters can shut up. Like someone said on the Enew board, Michael is having the last laugh.:wild::D

When you say "they" showed a short report about MJ, who is "they"? And they didn't mention that the concerts were sold out, something seems off there.

I also find it strange that Annie Lennox would call him a freak, given other recent comments about him she's made. IDK, whoever "they" are, have to wonder exactly which program or station this was shown on, just asking.
What else to you expect from CNN. Why dont the talk to celebs who think Michael is not freakish? they are full of it. I also notice they now brought DD on the Jane Velaz show to talk about Chris Brown. At this point, who cares what these idoits think. What MJ did this week show that MOST people could care less what these media idoits have say about Mike and anyone else.

I'm really surprised if Annie Lennox said that, just the other week she was saying how she felt sorry for him but had a huge amount of respect for him as an artist and thought he was really talented and was excited about him coming back.
I am shocked to by her comments. I remember the same thing was said about her. Amazing how people can dish it but can not take it.

What else do you expect from CNN? Why don't they talk to celebs who think Michael is not freakish? They are full of it. I also notice they now brought DD on the Jane Velez-Mitchell show 'Issues' on HLN to talk about Chris Brown. At this point, who cares what these idiots think? What MJ did this week shows that MOST people could care less what these media idiots have to say about Mike or anyone else.
Yeah I saw DD aswell probably gonna start going after him now.

hate when media are so nosy about Michaels money. Why they don't investigate Madonna and her finances? I doubt everything is so great for her or any other star.
cause madonna doesnt make her money off the beatles,presley,dylan and every oteher singer you can think of. that so pisses the haters off

thanks to AAA's notice over at Max-Jax, a couple of newspapers in the UK this full-page 'This Is It' ad out in what is later-than-expected timing, lol.

MJ_O2_ad_Mail_On_Sunday_March_15_20.png

Annie Lennox never met the King Of Pop when they were touring around at the same time, but she is looking forward to his return.

"I certainly appreciate Michael's amazing talent as a musician and a performer," says Lennox.

"I'm sure there will be a lot of people who want to go and see him. I do feel kind of sorry for him. But as an artist I have a lot of respect for him, he's a huge talent."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sh...ght-To-Judge-X-Factor/Article/200903115236353

I wouldn't be going off on Annie too quickly yet. The comment above indicates that the only thing she's judging is his talent and feels that it isn't her place to try to understand his actions. It's possible one fan may have been a bit too oversensitive and misunderstood her comments. In fact, I'm going on that assumption until I actually see this video or another comment.

Child, I agree. this week, MJ made all his haters and critics look stupid.Where are all the people like Bill Oreilly, Wendy Williams, Doug Banks, DeDe Mcguire, erc said he was "washed up", "finished", "over", etc located in talking about this. Doug Banks/Dede tried to say MJ paid fans to come to the conference, now look, the shows SOLD OUT. I guess he paid for all that huh? Wait, He is suppose to be broke.:smilerolleyes: See how stupid MJ haters sound? Some folks eve tried to say why would MJ tour since he has not had a hit single (well Madonna does not have hit. Neither does Prince, Rolling stones, Tina turner, etc but they are touring. Why don't these people talk about these celebs-and none of these celebs have been through the mud lately like Mike YET Mike came back and out sold all of them including the celebs with the current hits?). So at this point, haters can shut up. Like someone said on the Enew board, Michael is having the last laugh.:wild::D

he is having the last laugh.. so true...

when you read article after article about the 50 show sell out... you are amazed... at least I am...because it was not that long ago that doubting Thomas's were posting all over the forum.. and at some point.. you start to doubt too..

there were suggestions on what he needs to do..

WELL, Michael featuring Britney Spears didn't sell out 50 shows, Michael featuring Usher didn't sell out 50 shows, Michael featuring Beyonce didn't sell out 50 shows, Michael featuring Coldplay didin't sell out 50 shows...Michael featuring Justin didn't sell out 50 shows... not even Michael featuring his brothers ...

Just Michael sold out 50 shows....Just Michael ...

and mind you during a major world economic recession...

Michael after 40 years in the business has broken another record...

and you know.. come to think of it.. when a certain major stories about Michael is all over the news.. there are certain people that come and make threads, posts, etc and be highly critical of what he "needs" to do.. why he did this and that.. and he desires this and that............

look around....................>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
he is having the last laugh.. so true...

when you read article after article about the 50 show sell out... you are amazed... at least I am...because it was not that long ago that doubting Thomas's were posting all over the forum.. and at some point.. you start to doubt too..

there were suggestions on what he needs to do..

WELL, Michael featuring Britney Spears didn't sell out 50 shows, Michael featuring Usher didn't sell out 50 shows, Michael featuring Beyonce didn't sell out 50 shows, Michael featuring Coldplay didin't sell out 50 shows...Michael featuring Justin didn't sell out 50 shows... not even Michael featuring his brothers ...

Just Michael sold out 50 shows....Just Michael ...

and mind you during a major world economic recession...

Michael after 40 years in the business has broken another record...

and you know.. come to think of it.. when a certain major stories about Michael is all over the news.. there are certain people that come and make threads, posts, etc and be highly critical of what he "needs" to do.. why he did this and that.. and he desires this and that............

look around....................>>>>>>>>>>

Back