Women's Periods

While that may be and I do feel for you, that is something you should speak to a professional about. There is a time and place for everything. In this case this is something you should discuss with your close personal friends and family that you trust and of course a doctor.

However, I really don't feel that this applies to the topic at hand because that is a private matter that should indeed be discussed privately which I guess proves my point further.

Some things should be private.

If you had read my post properly, you will have seen that I have seen a professional. My point was, my health declined because female sexual health - of which periods are a part of - is such a taboo, that I was afraid and embarrassed and left it too long. My story was not confiding in strangers (although I do have good close and personal friends on this board) but contributing to a discussion in which I strongly believe should be listened to. It was a simple message, female sexual health should not be seen as 'dirty' or 'wrong' - its not, its natural and if is something is wrong, dont be embarrassed to talk about it.

But that aside, hey Travis, I appreciate your sympathetic response *note sarcasm*

well ok but its no-bodys business first off and secondly, I dont want to be forced to hear about something like that all because someone thinks 'were free to talk about whatever we want.'... yea and the world is made of marshmellows.....

In the same way people shouldn't have to be forced to keep their mouths shut all because some immature person thinks that it's an inappropriate subject to talk about. Menstrual cycles, along with all other human conditions are only gross if you make them out to be gross. Why anybody would make them out to be gross is beyond me. Oh, Yea and the world needs to grow up.

In the same way people shouldn't have to be forced to keep their mouths shut all because some immature person thinks that it's an inappropriate subject to talk about. Menstrual cycles, along with all other human conditions are only gross if you make them out to be gross. Why anybody would make them out to be gross is beyond me. Oh, Yea and the world needs to grow up.

fair enough...lol

I've thoroughly read everything in this thread, and I still think that it's gross and possibly satanic... This makes sense since women are responsible for the first sin, and the reason that periods are late during pregnancy is because of the divinity of children which temporarily derails the abomination of menstruation.

Menopause? More like DemonoPause AMIRITE?

I've thoroughly read everything in this thread, and I still think that it's gross and possibly satanic... This makes sense since women are responsible for the first sin, and the reason that periods are late during pregnancy is because of the divinity of children which temporarily derails the abomination of menstruation.

Satanic, that's a bit much isn't it i think you need to grow up bruv

Funny how periods are being compared to dirtiness of poo.

Even funnier that they're being compared to wet dreams. :doh:

How is it any different? All things just mentioned are all indeed natural bodily functions/excretions. Why is it ok to discuss periods publicly in front of others who may or may not want to hear about your business but it's wrong to mention feces? Talk about double standards! If you can talk about what's happening between your legs then I most certainly can talk about what's going on between my cheeks (I would never do that and I don't mean to be vulgar but I'm making a point here).

And to the others saying to grow up... take your own advice and while you're at it take some etiquette classes so you'll know what is and isn't proper public discussion.

Just because some of us have a little class doesn't mean we need to grow up and act "mature". Maturity is having the common sense to filter ones self in public. I find it really hard to believe that people think that something so personal should be discussed out in public regardless of whom may hear (children, elderly, etc).

Your business is your business. Keep it that way.

How is it any different? All things just mentioned are all indeed natural bodily functions/excretions. Why is it ok to discuss periods publicly in front of others who may or may not want to hear about your business but it's wrong to mention feces? Talk about double standards! If you can talk about what's happening between your legs then I most certainly can talk about what's going on between my cheeks (I would never do that and I don't mean to be vulgar but I'm making a point here).

Didn't mean to fire you up mate.
I'm not pro-period-talking-in-public-randomly but I'm not overly disturbed by it either. What I mean is that periods dont contain highly infectious bacteria unlike faeces which is composed of 30% bacteria. Secondly the comparison to wet dreams is funny coz I am yet to experience a pleasurable sensation or sex dream associated with periods, like you guys tend to get when you wet your pants at night. Im not saying semen is gross, actually I'm pretty sure it's sterile. :)

Didn't mean to fire you up mate.
I'm not pro-period-talking-in-public-randomly but I'm not overly disturbed by it either. What I mean is that periods dont contain highly infectious bacteria unlike faeces which is composed of 30% bacteria. Secondly the comparison to wet dreams is funny coz I am yet to experience a pleasurable sensation or sex dream associated with periods, like you guys tend to get when you wet your pants at night. Im not saying semen is gross, actually I'm pretty sure it's sterile. :)

No, it's all good. I understand where you're coming from. However, I just don't see how one is different than another. You can't just pick and choose what is kosher for the heck of it. If one is allowed, so is all the rest or by all means should be.

What century is this again?

And to the others saying to grow up... take your own advice and while you're at it take some etiquette classes so you'll know what is and isn't proper public discussion.

Just because some of us have a little class doesn't mean we need to grow up and act "mature". Maturity is having the common sense to filter ones self in public. I find it really hard to believe that people think that something so personal should be discussed out in public regardless of whom may hear (children, elderly, etc).

Your business is your business. Keep it that way.

Heres a thought... If you dont like the content which is clearly stated in a subject title, dont look at it. And I cant remember 'class' being assosiated with lecturing people. Your opinion is your opinion... but stating it at something everyone should follow is more arrogant than classy in my eyes.

why shouldnt children discuss womans sexual health..? Why on earth children should be deprived of education on every day matters is beyond me. In my opinion, I believe your 'class' belongs in the middle ages, where terrified teenage girls were forced to figure out for themselves that they werent bleeding to death every month.

I find it very hard to swallow that in 2010, this view is still upheld. I was lead to believe, and proud to believe, that I lived in a time when sexual health, orientation and gender were not a taboo.

Openly discussing these subjects in a mature manner, ensures that future generations are educated on something very serious. That no man or woman should feel ashamed of their bodies.

Also, I may stop discussing my sexual health the day men stop scratching their testicles and passing wind in public places.

Last edited:

Please tell me this was a joke :mello:...if not then I feel sorry for the women you come in contact with.

Oh he's just winding you all up, don't take it literally :)

Heres a thought... If you dont like the content which is clearly stated in a subject title, dont look at it. And I cant remember 'class' being assosiated with lecturing people. Your opinion is your opinion... but stating it at something everyone should follow is more arrogant than classy in my eyes.

why shouldnt children discuss womans sexual health..? Why on earth children should be deprived of education on every day matters is beyond me. In my opinion, I believe your 'class' belongs in the middle ages, where terrified teenage girls were forced to figure out for themselves that they werent bleeding to death every month.

I find it very hard to swallow that in 2010, this view is still upheld. I was lead to believe, and proud to believe, that I lived in a time when sexual health, orientation and gender were not a taboo.

Openly discussing these subjects in a mature manner, ensures that future generations are educated on something very serious. That no man or woman should feel ashamed of their bodies.

Also, I may stop discussing my sexual health the day men stop scratching their testicles and passing wind in public places.

I have a neat suggestion, how about you actually read my message so you can actually address it instead of throwing around false accusations? I want to make very clear that I am not talking about this thread itself. That was never part of the discussion. The internet itself is for open discussion/debate and that doesn't bother me at all because you have to seek it to read it. That's totally cool. I'm talking about going out to the store with yo mama and your at the check out having to listen to someone talking about their extra flow. Nope, nuh uh, sorry! Pass.

It's tacky. Plain and simple.

Listen, if you can't understand that there is a time and place for everything, that's your problem. Not mine. If being modern is discussing bloody tampons in front of the general public then I'll gladly go back to the dark ages.

The whole message of poor little girls and women afraid of their own bodies blah blah blah may be true but it's also a HUGE dramatization of what is being discussed. It's about having class and knowing proper public speaking etiquette. Children learn about their bodies from their parents and school systems as it should be (not at the 7 Eleven) and hopefully they are also taught that you don't discuss your private parts in front of just anybody. Time and place, darlin'. Time and place.

I absolutely do not want my children to hear about your private parts and what exits it. As an adult I don't want to hear about your private parts in public so why would they? Children are innocent and should be able to keep that innocence for as long as they can. Don't worry, this world forces them to grow up fast enough as is. Relax. They can be informed of such things by their own parents and school systems as stated before. No one needs you doing it at the Waffle House.

So again, if you can't understand the very simply concept of discussing private matters such as your private parts in PRIVATE, then that is your problem. No one else.

Knowing when to filter ones self is maturity. Etiquette is maturity.

Publicly unleashing your menstrual cycle is tacky, classless, and immature (a word the pro-bloody tampon crowd seem to be throwing around innacurately).

Last edited:
LOLOLOL This is the funniest thread ever!!

I say if I didnt HAVE to get used to having a period every month for the past 14 years...I would probably think it was gross, annoying and just WTF?

I dont think it is taboo,or shameful just something that is private and its a TMI (too much info) type of thing. Its painful, changes your mood, you feel sick, and just shitty. Some people just dont want to talk about it or hear about it...almost as if you ignore it it will disappear lol

If you had read my post properly, you will have seen that I have seen a professional. My point was, my health declined because female sexual health - of which periods are a part of - is such a taboo, that I was afraid and embarrassed and left it too long. My story was not confiding in strangers (although I do have good close and personal friends on this board) but contributing to a discussion in which I strongly believe should be listened to. It was a simple message, female sexual health should not be seen as 'dirty' or 'wrong' - its not, its natural and if is something is wrong, dont be embarrassed to talk about it.

But that aside, hey Travis, I appreciate your sympathetic response *note sarcasm*

I am genuinely sympathetic whether you believe it or not. I don't like hearing that anyone is in pain and I never meant to be rude. However, I still don't think you understood my post or that your response applies.

Also, how is womens health issues such as periods taboo in this modern era? I see tampon commercials every two seconds on television, mammograms on live television, etc. Decades ago, sure. But not today. Very little is taboo in this day and age except for things that should be like incest or pedophilia.

When I said you needed to speak to a professional, I meant a psychiatrist (I apologize for my bluntness). I say that because if you are so ashamed of your own body enough to forgo treatment or at the very least speak to a trusted family member or friend, then that is a serious issue that goes outside the realm of physical medical treatment. That is a personal stigma that needs addressing.

I don't mean to disrespect you at all, but given what this thread was really about, and that is indeed tacky public speaking, then your message really doesn't apply. It's a much more dark and dramatized situation than someone simply talking about their personal business at a gas station because they weren't taught any better.

I do sympathize and I am very sorry for any pain you have suffered. And yes, by all means, if someone has any sort of issue related to his or her sexual health and well being, then he/she most certainly should speak to someone asap and not be ashamed. You're right about that. I apologize if I didn't explain myself clearly.

Periods or any other women or mens sexual health issue isn't dirty or gross. I never said that, thought it, or implied it. It's like I've said a million times, there is a time and place for everything. If you're in a setting and with people where the talk is encouraged and appropriate then that's fantastic. Speak on!

Learning when and when not to speak is the difference and learning that is the sign of true maturity.

Last edited:
Guys, do you know that you're all fighting about periods! If politicians wasted their time fighting over whether or not talking about womans periods are acceptable or not then this world would fall into smithereens.
Womans periods is a natural thing, its life, it was allows us to create life, if you can't deal with that then I think you're in the wrong game.
I'm on my period right now, and I have no shame in admitting it. Why should I be made to feel ashamed of something that defines me as a woman, which defines me as a human being. Just because someone thinks its gross and satanic, does that make me a bad person because I have them. No not at all, I know people have their own opinions and views differ and I totally respect that, but there is no way I'm going to be made to feel ashamed partly because I have periods and in the right company and appropriate times I'll talk about it.
I agree with "there's a time and place" I agree with that, I'm not just gonna wake up in the morning ang walk to the middle of the street so I can broadcast my body's function of that month, like many have stated there is a time place. However there is another side, some people may disagree and say "is there really a right time and place for anything these days"? I mean is there a time and a place for war. No there isn't, yet around the world there are wars being fought. Is there a really a time and a place for someone to be cruel to another human being, or an animal, no, yet people still do it. I know that's a bit extreme, comparing war and killing to woman's periods ( I know it sounds ridiculous even putting side by side) but its the only way I could get my point across.
I just want to make clear I'm in NO WAY attacking anyone's opinions here, I respect all opinions and I like to see both side of debates. I know that some may agree with my view and others may disagree and I'm cool with either one.

Guys, do you know that you're all fighting about periods! If politicians wasted their time fighting over whether or not talking about womans periods are acceptable or not then this world would fall into smithereens.
Womans periods is a natural thing, its life, it was allows us to create life, if you can't deal with that then I think you're in the wrong game.
I'm on my period right now, and I have no shame in admitting it. Why should I be made to feel ashamed of something that defines me as a woman, which defines me as a human being. Just because someone thinks its gross and satanic, does that make me a bad person because I have them. No not at all, I know people have their own opinions and views differ and I totally respect that, but there is no way I'm going to be made to feel ashamed partly because I have periods and in the right company and appropriate times I'll talk about it.
I agree with "there's a time and place" I agree with that, I'm not just gonna wake up in the morning ang walk to the middle of the street so I can broadcast my body's function of that month, like many have stated there is a time place.

:clapping: :clapping: tell 'em lol

This is wildly off topic, but I find Sharlene's avatar (presumably of her) to be incredibly hot.

If you're currently on your period, though, then you can disregard me saying that because that's disgusting and I don't want to be within 20 feet of you.

I am genuinely sympathetic whether you believe it or not. I don't like hearing that anyone is in pain and I never meant to be rude. However, I still don't think you understood my post or that your response applies.

Also, how is womens health issues such as periods taboo in this modern era? I see tampon commercials every two seconds on television, mammograms on live television, etc. Decades ago, sure. But not today. Very little is taboo in this day and age except for things that should be like incest or pedophilia.

When I said you needed to speak to a professional, I meant a psychiatrist (I apologize for my bluntness). I say that because if you are so ashamed of your own body enough to forgo treatment or at the very least speak to a trusted family member or friend, then that is a serious issue that goes outside the realm of physical medical treatment. That is a personal stigma that needs addressing.

I don't mean to disrespect you at all, but given what this thread was really about, and that is indeed tacky public speaking, then your message really doesn't apply. It's a much more dark and dramatized situation than someone simply talking about their personal business at a gas station because they weren't taught any better.

I do sympathize and I am very sorry for any pain you have suffered. And yes, by all means, if someone has any sort of issue related to his or her sexual health and well being, then he/she most certainly should speak to someone asap and not be ashamed. You're right about that. I apologize if I didn't explain myself clearly.

Periods or any other women or mens sexual health issue isn't dirty or gross. I never said that, thought it, or implied it. It's like I've said a million times, there is a time and place for everything. If you're in a setting and with people where the talk is encouraged and appropriate then that's fantastic. Speak on!

Learning when and when not to speak is the difference and learning that is the sign of true maturity.

Travis, with all due respect, telling someone they need to see a psychiatrist is very insulting. You appear to be very single minded and stubborn in your view and opinion of my life. I dont know how simpler I can make my view for you, I have tried to spell it out previously...

I was not using my personal experience as a cry for help or attention, it was merely pointing out that, yes, while there is a time and place (I never once stated that such subjects should be discussed 'checking yorself at target'), but, that such subjects should not be so strictly taboo as to allow young women to feel their bodies should be kept hush hush at all times.

My story related because growing up in a stict and traditional english family, where I should never speak of such things, lead me to act the way I did relating to my sexual health. Something I have overcome and have no need to see a psychiatrist, but thanks for your uneducated mental health diagnosis.

Believe it or not, the subject is relevent, and I was adding my outlook on the topic. I apologise if freedom of expression is not tolerated in your world of class.

I would also, like to point out this... In response to another quote of mine you threw around expressions of what I can only assume were to mock 'white trash America' and referencing such places as the 'seven eleven' and 'waffle house'. I am a very English young woman, who isnt afraid to say has come from a middle class background. Now I have no prejiduce with working class America, infact I find it rather romantic, but please dont assume someones background, just because their views dont live up to your visions of 'class'.

That aside, I do apreciate that you obviously sympathise with my situation, although its not what I was trying to gain... but I am thankful none the less. We obviously have very different views on the subject, while sharing some. Believe me, I do agree that discussing such things in public is not pleasant, I certainly wouldnt go into a bar or restaurant and advise the bartender of the status of my menstrul cycle...

however I do believe that too strict a hold on the subject leads to feelings of embarrassment and shame for many young girls, and thats where the line is blurred. When is it appropriate? When is not appropriate? For example, had I discussed my situation openly in public, say a bar, with a friend, would that have been acceptable..? It may have saved alot of time in terms of medical assistance, however, would it have been shameful to do so? I was discussing the same subject of when is appropriate to discuss such matters, just putting a sexual health stamp on it, rather than just 'Yo girl, my period is so heavy, it looks like i slaughtered a bear in my pants'

Last edited:
Travis, with all due respect, telling someone they need to see a psychiatrist is very insulting. You appear to be very single minded and stubborn in your view and opinion of my life. I dont know how simpler I can make my view for you, I have tried to spell it out previously...

I was not using my personal experience as a cry for help or attention, it was merely pointing out that, yes, while there is a time and place (I never once stated that such subjects should be discussed 'checking yorself at target'), but, that such subjects should not be so strictly taboo as to allow young women to feel their bodies should be kept hush hush at all times.

My story related because growing up in a stict and traditional english family, where I should never speak of such things, lead me to act the way I did relating to my sexual health. Something I have overcome and have no need to see a psychiatrist, but thanks for your uneducated mental health diagnosis.

Believe it or not, the subject is relevent, and I was adding my outlook on the topic. I apologise if freedom of expression is not tolerated in your world of class.

I would also, like to point out this... In response to another quote of mine you threw around expressions of what I can only assume were to mock 'white trash America' and referencing such places as the 'seven eleven' and 'waffle house'. I am a very English young woman, who isnt afraid to say has come from a middle class background. Now I have no prejiduce with working class America, infact I find it rather romantic, but please dont assume someones background, just because their views dont live up to your visions of 'class'.

That aside, I do apreciate that you obviously sympathise with my situation, although its not what I was trying to gain... but I am thankful none the less. We obviously have very different views on the subject, while sharing some. Believe me, I do agree that discussing such things in public is not pleasant, I certainly wouldnt go into a bar or restaurant and advise the bartender of the status of my menstrul cycle...

however I do believe that too strict a hold on the subject leads to feelings of embarrassment and shame for many young girls, and thats where the line is blurred. When is it appropriate? When is not appropriate? For example, had I discussed my situation openly in public, say a bar, with a friend, would that have been acceptable..? It may have saved alot of time in terms of medical assistance, however, would it have been shameful to do so? I was discussing the same subject of when is appropriate to discuss such matters, just putting a sexual health stamp on it, rather than just 'Yo girl, my period is so heavy, it looks like i slaughtered a bear in my pants'

I respect and understand your point of view. I better understand now that you have actually elaborated and stated the urgency and depth of your message. I still firmly stand by my message as I clearly see that do you do as well. I knew you wouldn't like what I had to say, but your health is more important than your feelings. I can even let the many insults to my intelligence and person slide. My analysis was hardly uneducated, and I think taking personal feelings out it, even you know that. You were just lashing out. It's ok and I do hope you can forgive me. I do apologize.

As I stated before, I did apologize upfront but I felt it was necessary and there was really no easier way of expressing what needed to be said. Although maybe harsh, few could deny that someone withholding medical attention because they are too ashamed to speak about their personal problems should possibly seek therapy. That's a very extreme and dangerous situation. Say what you will, but I felt it was important to say. Again, your health is far more important than your feelings.

I hope there are no hard feelings and I wish you the best. At the heart of matters, I do believe we see eye to eye.

There's a time and place for everything.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Last edited:
I was lashing out, yes, but assuming someone needs professional help based on a few words on your computer screen was very demeaning to me, even if it was from a stranger. in my eyes assumptions of a persons character and mental state are best left alone if you dont know them personally. I can assure my mind is very sane, even if I was a victim of my upbringing for a while!

That aside, I appreciate your last post, even if it was a little passive aggressive in parts ;) (note teasing tone) and I apologise if i offended you at all, sir.

Back