Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

oh yeah i forgot you were. although im offically an expat now. living in sunny spain!

yeah i agree he was angry etc and there was a good balance.its just the sound of the music and how its created im not a fan of

I'll forgive you, seeing as we're both from Leeds ;)

I'd normally agree with you in all fairness. I just think that on HIStory he got the balance just right. The anger and frustration in the lyrics needed backing up with a harder and sharper sound. And that's also why I love that he ended the album with a softer track such as Smile which has a lush, orchestral sound that again mirrored the sentiment of the song.

Off topic much..?! Sorry.

I'm mixed on Chicago. Michael's performance is great but I'm torn on the production. It definitely works overall but there are a few things I dislike. I'd agree that it feels a bit too, uh... "digital". Especially the drum sounds are just not very good, I hate the snare sound. And the "duck" sounds are just weird and doesn't add anything.

Other than that, I think the production works pretty well. I just wish it sounded a bit more live overall, without necessarily it being a band playing it all.

Still, for me it's a grower. And again, Michael's performance is really good. Will be interesting to hear the original. :)

Looking forward to Loving You tomorrow :)

Looking forward to Loving You tomorrow :)

I'm probably gonna give in when i see it posted EVERYWHERE, lol.. i have faith that it will be another BAD Era masterpiece :)

I'm probably gonna give in when i see it posted EVERYWHERE, lol.. i have faith that it will be another BAD Era masterpiece :)

Now there's some credibility in your words lol

Btw.. I haven't heard LNFSG on the radio since Friday (either version).. So that kinda sucks

What UK time are the songs put out? When was Chicago last night?

What UK time are the songs put out? When was Chicago last night?

it was live when i woke up which was around 9am so i think it could have premiered at midnight in the USA!

WTF with this voice bullshit? There is NO Cascio tracks on the album! Why do people keep mentioning it!

There's no need to get angry or defensive about it. I don't think anyone is questioning the authenticity of the vocals. Yes it's obviously Michael as everyone can hear it but there are a few words that sound off. "sincere" and "be" for example. I don't know and don't care if it's autotune, melodyne, layering etc. We'll get the "original" version as well. It should be easy to tell if there's any processing on the vocals that caused them sound off at few places. so we could all chill for now.

ps: handclaps on LNFSG sounds almost like farts and that's surely due to some type of processing as well. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware and realizes that the contemporized versions of the songs has been changed/ modified / processed to fit to the new music. It's not something that warrants extreme reactions.

Last edited:

Actually yes, this is a standard practice - to remove the single version when the album version becomes available for download. It happens to all artists. There's no need to have multiple versions (in this case 4 versions!) of the same song up for download. The sales of the removed versions are not lost, they will be counted. It just loses its position, but a lot of the times the album version manages to climb back (unless people stop downloading it).

Thank you I understand but, the album version is not available for download until May 9th.

Also, this is a routine error that could easily be corrected if anyone was bothered to do so (i.e., not being lazy because it does not effect one personally; only the artist's musical legacy is effected).

I believe if any artist would have an issue with this acceptable error, it would be Michael. Charting was important to him.

http://kworb.net/itunes/

Global iTunes Artist Ranking | Click the headers to sort | Last update: 2014-05-05 15:35:16 EDT

Pos Pos+ Artist Points Songs #1s Albums #1s
1 Coldplay 5005 3521 33 1484 10
2 Pharrell 3308 2536 19 773 1
3 Michael Jackson 2439 1462 1 976 2

michael_jackson_king_of_pop.jpg

If some self proclaimed journalist want to talk about sales...EAT THIS !

it was live when i woke up which was around 9am so i think it could have premiered at midnight in the USA!

I live in California (Bay Area up in this be-yotch yeeaaahhhh!)... Anyways.. I signed into Sony Music Unlimited at 9:17pm my time (PST) and Chicago was already available.. So that means that they must have released it on SMU at midnight EST worldwide..

So then THAT means we have 8 hours and counting until we all hear "Lovin You" for the first time!!!

Is it just me or does the chorus of Chicago remind you of Monkey Business? :dance:

I live in California (Bay Area up in this be-yotch yeeaaahhhh!)... Anyways.. I signed into Sony Music Unlimited at 9:17pm my time (PST) and Chicago was already available.. So that means that they must have released it on SMU at midnight EST worldwide..

So then THAT means we have 8 hours and counting until we all hear "Lovin You" for the first time!!!

I'm literally shaking right now, lol.. loving you is the track i am most excited for! bad era is simply wonderful, will be an honor to hear how it sounds!

Sony Music Belgium is planning something big to promote Xscape!

image_zps7ed4f0fa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Thank you I understand but, the album version is not available for download until May 9th.

Yes it is, if you go to iTunes store you'll see that's the only song available for download/purchase from the album. I agree that it sucks for the position, but the sales are still counted. Whether it's a good or bad practice, they do it all the time and we can't do anything about it.

Is it just me or does the chorus of Chicago remind you of Monkey Business? :dance:
The 'Chicago' chorus reminds me of (I Can't Make It)Another Day.

Isn't this all a little too much! This is such an amazing week. Just a few weeks ago all we had was Timbalands hint at a possible album... now we have a few days to go until the album and so far two of the finest songs to be released in the last 5 years!

Life is fu#&$ng awesome right now!! Xx

Originally recorded during the Dangerous sessions in 1991 with L.A. Reid and Babyface, "Slave to the Rhythm" is a taut robo-pop rhythm track in which Jackson narrates a story about a woman trapped in stifling circumstances. At home and work, the protagonist is compelled to "dance" to the needs of controlling men, while her own desires are ignored. In a brief moment of respite, she escapes and "dance to the beat of her own." Jackson tells her story in a passionate vocal, capped by his trademark syncopated beat-boxing

Catch Ellen dancing to "Slave To The Rhythm" on The Ellen DeGeneres Show today!

http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/news/behind-xscape-slave-rhythm

@Hess, do you know the danish release date? I see conflicting dates, some say Friday, some say Monday. Stereo studio has it listed as Monday....

Release date in Denmark is Monday 12th. (I think it's because the Danish chart goes from monday to sunday!) - So a release monday will make it chart better as it counts the maximum days of sales. :)

Sony Music Belgium is planning something big to promote Xscape!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/Nadia1981/Mobile Uploads/image_zps7ed4f0fa.jpg

WOW - great!!

Isn't this all a little too much! This is such an amazing week. Just a few weeks ago all we had was Timbalands hint at a possible album... now we have a few days to go until the album and so far two of the finest songs to be released in the last 5 years!

Life is fu#&$ng awesome right now!! Xx

It really is!!

Slave to the Rhythm on Ellen!

When? Is it today or when??

And - can I stream it from Denmark??

I don't care who says what... I'm astounded. This song sounds absolutely incredible. Michael's vocals are so clear.

Okay I'm getting goosebumps reading all these reviews of Chicago. I am going to wait until the album release. But I am soooo happy that fans love it. I am hoping and praying this album soars!

Back