1993 Superbowl..was it the best ever?

Stranger

Proud Member
Surely MJ's superbowl performance must have been the best halftime show ever?

The thing that interests me is there were so many things that could have gone wrong! The card stunt before Heal the World..how on earth did they make sure every person in the audience had the right colour and held it up at the right time? And how did they make sure the audience held on to their card during the entire song?

Then there was the minor detail of getting all those people on stage within seconds in time for the chorus..all the yellow and orange choir were in position so fast, decorating the cross shaped stage.

And what about the black and white flashing cards? Even
Michael himself? Making sure the hat was in position during Jam so that he could be ready immediately for Billie Jean. Its amazing that everything went to plan.

But the performance of Heal the world was so touching..its like the audience was united and every singer's face was filled with love..

So was it the best?:)

I suggest you watch other Superbowl performances before providing a more structured opinion.

There were many other performances that are rated higher than Mike's. I can probably name 4:

U2 (Tribute to 9/11)
The Rolling Stones
Prince (arguably the BEST amongst critics)
Bruce Springsteen (the most recent)

I think Prince has done the best ever halftime Superbowl performance. I would have said Michael's was the best ever if had had sang live and not lip synced, and not performed Heal The World. Because the video Intro of Michael's performance, and his medley of hits like Jam, Billie Jean and Black Or White were stunning.

One thing that's forgotten Michael should receive huge credit for, is that Michael is the one who made the halftime Superbowl performance in the map and made it such an important event.

Didnt MJs performance get the highest rating for halftime ever???

I actually think Janet Jacksons is the best. It really was like an event. Ignoring the wardrobe malfunction (lol), the production was massive, it was excitment at its best. It also included P.diddy, Nelly, Kid Rock and Justin timberlake...all in that halftime.

I think Michael's was the best as well. Very touching. As for lypsynicing, that was required to do back then (even whitney lypsnc the the Anthem). I would love to see Michael do it again. the shows are more flashy than what was allowed back then. Michael is still the HIGHEST rating halftime.

I think Prince has done the best ever halftime Superbowl performance. I would have said Michael's was the best ever if had had sang live and not lip synced, and not performed Heal The World. Because the video Intro of Michael's performance, and his medley of hits like Jam, Billie Jean and Black Or White were stunning.

One thing that's forgotten Michael should receive huge credit for, is that Michael is the one who made the halftime Superbowl performance in the map and made it such an important event.
MIchael is given credit for raising the bar of the halftime. NO one remember that Chubby Checker was the first major star to do the half time, most people think Michael was the first.:D

I don't know about the game, but the half-time show was the best ever!

I didn't think much of the Superbowl performance, to be honest. It was okay, I thought Springsteen's, Tom Petty, Prince and the Motown tributes were better... these are only the last four years and I think some others may have been better as well.

I didn't think much of the Superbowl performance, to be honest. It was okay, I thought Springsteen's, Tom Petty, Prince and the Motown tributes were better... these are only the last four years and I think some others may have been better as well.
i agree with this, although every artist and their performance is unique and different and usually has something to be appreciated in its own right.

as for what i enjoyed of Mike's..

- the spectacle
- using the Why You Wanna Trip intro
- wore imo one of his best costumes (no thong)

not much to do with the music, in fact i didn't like how it was rushed with a medley, let alone the lip-synch.

Sorry but Prince did the best halftime show ever in my opinion.

i mean it was awesome especially when he sang purple rain

lol ok so where can i see prince's performance since he doesnt allow youtube to play his vids?

to be honest, i dont think MUSICALLY MJ's is the best...i agree that others were better..what i think was the best was the entire production and the scale of it..

Surely MJ's superbowl performance must have been the best halftime show ever?

The thing that interests me is there were so many things that could have gone wrong! The card stunt before Heal the World..how on earth did they make sure every person in the audience had the right colour and held it up at the right time? And how did they make sure the audience held on to their card during the entire song?

Then there was the minor detail of getting all those people on stage within seconds in time for the chorus..all the yellow and orange choir were in position so fast, decorating the cross shaped stage.

And what about the black and white flashing cards? Even
Michael himself? Making sure the hat was in position during Jam so that he could be ready immediately for Billie Jean. Its amazing that everything went to plan.

But the performance of Heal the world was so touching..its like the audience was united and every singer's face was filled with love..

So was it the best?:)

After refreshing my memory & researching different Super Bowl Half Time performances by Mr.Jackson, and many others ...

"The 1993 Superbowl Performance created, implemented by Mr.Jackson has got to be the most unique, breathtaking, choregraphed effort to achieve humanitarian unity throughout all the world...!"

Music is the education and power to help Heal The World~~~

:angel:Knowledge Is Growth...Education Is The Key

Last edited:
Well regardless of your opinion, Michael's the one who opened the door for other artists to perform the half time show. He was the first, major star to do so, like he's the first with so many things.

"Motown 25" and the 95 VMA's were lyp synched too, but both those performances are waaay better then any half time show performance ever put on, by anyone.

Thanks for the link mo rizwan...Prince was indeed fantastic!

Well Michael's entrance was certainly the best ever, but for the best superbowl halftime show overall I gotta go with Prince overall. He sang live and I just thought his whole set was outstanding. MJ is #2 for me tho, as far as best halftime shows ever are concerned.

the intro was amzzzing! i liked it but i think prince was awesome(and i dont even like him lol) and janets aswell. But @ the time it was def the best and is still the biggest in terms of ratings

Prince's half-time show was the best. Performing "Purple Rain" in the rain was just the best. It was a beautiful performance. I actually cried at the end of during Purple Rain. His guitar playing was so passionate and emotional. It was by far the best Superbowl half-time show I've seen (but I haven't seen all of them, only the latest ones since about 2000).

I'm sorry, but I hate when MJ lip-syncs. It ruins that whole performance for me. It wasn't even that great besides the lip-syncing. Not he best dancing I've seen from him. The card thing in the crowd was kind of corny. For me, it's typical of the Superbowl half-time shows before they got good.

everything is subjective but MJ made fashionable to be there on super sunday and everything sprung from that

It's a tie, Michael and Prince, for different reasons. The entire thing for Michael and all the different aspects of the whole show. The logistics for that were incredible.

From a pure live performance standpoint, especially with the rain/soaked stage, instruments, clothing, etc., Prince. He knows how to put on a live show and showcase his talents. When he was doing Proud Mary with the marching band (can't remember which school they were from), the crowd and myself were bouncing around, it was infectious.

But as Maxx said, everything is subjective. And Michael and Prince's shows were entirely different but equally majorly entertaining for me.

Well Michael's entrance was certainly the best ever, but for the best superbowl halftime show overall I gotta go with Prince overall.

I agree with that, and Michael's entrance at the Super Bowl is the best ever.

I'd love Michael to do the Super Bowl again, I wouldn't be surprised if he does the best ever overall Super Bowl performance.

Apart from Michael Jackson's and Prince's performances at the Super Bowl, I though the Rolling Stones did a brilliant performance a few years ago.

i thought the heal the world with the cards was pretty unique and was sending out an important message.

i also liked prince.

maybe because both guys are mysterious. and ofcourse entertaining.

everything is subjective but MJ made fashionable to be there on super sunday and everything sprung from that

Very true, and that's what I mean about Michael putting the Super Bowl on the map for artists, because he did make it fashionable.

Although I disagree with this list (to a certain degree) I'm gonna post this for yous to see the other performances in the past that the media hype about:
http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/sports/super-bowl-halftime-shows.html

Thanks for the link. I have no idea why uk.askmen.com put Janet Jackson's performance ahead of Michael's performance.

Last edited:
LOL Am I like the only one that feels Michael's was good? I mean maybe not number one but his at least in the top 5. As much as I love Prince and loved his halftime performance I think alot of people are giving him more credit than what is deserved... I mean it was good but it wasnt the most spectacular performance ever. I think just because he sanged live and played live does not make it better than Michael's or anybody else for that matter but if you want to go by that logic so be it.
To me its really all of a matter of opinion because both performances were just as good. In my opinion Michael's was better.

I dunno how long its going to take some fans to understand, comprehend or realize but Michael dances... so he IS going to lip sync to balance that out. I honestly would rather have him do that then have a horrible live singing performance where his grasping for breath because of hard dancing.
MJ fans knows this so I dont know why their tripping about the lip sync.
Michael is known for his dancing and when people come to see him they want to be entertained.. thats not to say I was expecting for him to lip sync but in my opinion it does not have to make his performance bad because it wasnt. Prince was great but it wasnt all of that like how some critics and some people make it to be, Michaels was better to me.

On another note, alot of people and critics praised Prince performance because it had been the best half time performance in a long time. Key word, IN A LONG TIME... meaning that it had been a long time since people had seen a great half time show but that does not make it the BEST period.

I think with regard to concept, Michael was the best, nothing beats that almost supernatural entrance. However I feel when it comes to the dancing, Michael was somewhat rusty. I dnt mind him lipsyching that fast paced medley as I'm sure the crowd also didnt. Its the lipsyching of HEAL THE WORLD that makes me cringe.

Back