Best of Joy - Official Discussion Thread

Re: "Best of Joy" Thread

^ It was reported in many other news stories as well. Sony Music has been telling journalists when they come to preview the album that Best Of Joy was recorded in 2009 only months before MJ died. These are literally his last vocals on a song. It makes the song even that much more special.

How do they know this? The crew on THIS IS IT confirmed it to Sony because the band rehearsed this song a few times. It was planned to be performed in London.

Did he record other songs with this one?

^^^Good question! Also is there footage of this song being rehearsed?

I thought it was an older track on first listen - great to know it's a recent track. If it was rehearsed for TII could they use that as a video for a single? hmmmm

My favorite
it sounds like sparkling raindrops strewn happily in a sunshine valley...

Really do love this song, Not my fave on the album but it is up there. :)

Hmm, Suprised if this was recorded in 2009, I think the vocal's sound 70's early 80's Michael.

^ It was reported in many other news stories as well. Sony Music has been telling journalists when they come to preview the album that Best Of Joy was recorded in 2009 only months before MJ died. These are literally his last vocals on a song. It makes the song even that much more special.

How do they know this? The crew on THIS IS IT confirmed it to Sony because the band rehearsed this song a few times. It was planned to be performed in London.

So did MJ sing this song during the This Is It rehearsal? Sony should definitely release this. Maybe they can make a music video with the rehearsal video.

This song is in my top 3 for this album.

Hmm, Suprised if this was recorded in 2009, I think the vocal's sound 70's early 80's Michael.

I agree,and the song is beautiful! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:

That voice is current Michael. I can tell. He would sing it much differently back then. This is our "Speechless" MJ that sings like an angel.

That voice is current Michael. I can tell. He would sing it much differently back then. This is our "Speechless" MJ that sings like an angel.

Agreed...I could tell right away that this is current Mike...He really does sound like an angel in this one....:heart: The harmonies!! WOW! And I love how it sounds like Michael just started singing this for fun, he's snapping his fingers, just letting the melody and words flow out..Very natural and beautiful..I love this one!

I can tell Michael's vocal's too... Have been listening to them for long enough. The song sounds old... the music/vocals/arrangement to me it sound like a 70's song JMO opinion and I do love it. ;)

Not saying it isn't more recent, Just what my ears hear. :p

The song and his voice in this song seem to be from early 90's. The 2009 vocals are the background ones; towards the end, a few vocals similar to those from beginning of "One More Chance" and "Hold My Hand", like "all right", can be also timidly heard. The ending of this song makes one shed a tear, especially, with that prolonged echo and repeated "I am forever"... sinisterly, yet comfortingly...

The song and his voice in this song seem to be from early 90's. The 2009 vocals are the background ones; towards the end, a few vocals similar to those from beginning of "One More Chance" and "Hold My Hand", like "all right", can be also timidly heard. The ending of this song makes one shed a tear, especially, with that prolonged echo and repeated "I am forever"... sinisterly, yet comfortingly...

Everyone is a little right !! The song goes back a few years but the vocals were recorded in October of 2008 in Belair, CA. He did do other vocals at that time.

The band for 'This is It', did not rehearse Best of Joy. :D

I think it's my favourite song on Michael and probably one of my favourite songs ever.

I love this song...It has one of the most happiest sounding vibes I've ever heard :)

Ali G : Sony says 2009 so how do you know that ?

One Of His Last Songs (That We Know Of) It Is So Great And Beautiful :wub:

My favorite song on th album "Michael" is "Best of Joy",
because it proves, beyond a doubt, that Michael Jackson really is
an Angel sent straight from Heaven. :trytobeangel
"We are, Forever..." Thank you, Archangel, Michael Jackson.

You put that perfectly in words. I feel the same:angel:

Love

It's like he came into my mind, found out how I feel about HIM and then wrote it on paper.

I love you Michael and yes, you ARE my best of joy :wub:

It's like he came into my mind, found out how I feel about HIM and then wrote it on paper.

I love you Michael and yes, you ARE my best of joy :wub:

Same here. I think that's how most of the fans feel and that's why most of us love the song so much. It's like he's singing to all of us. And considering he is no longer with us, it feels even so much more special. But at the same time when ever I listen to the song, it makes me so so SO extremely sad that he is gone. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Finally when he was able to enjoy life again and able to feel joy again... his life was taken from him. And from us. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: I really hope and pray to God that he knew how extremely LOVED he was....how MUCH we all cared (and still do) about him...and that no matter what had happened...WE were all still there...because we love him and care about him. I really hope he knew he never lost us. We never left. When I hear the song, it makes me smile when he sings "I am forever...we are forever"....Because it reminds me of the happy moments at his hotels and at his concerts when it felt like it was our own little happy world....like we were all a big, happy family. And to know we all still come to the forums, still miss him, still talk about him, still listen to his music...it feels like "we are forever". You know, we'll always be here...and MJ will always be with us in our hearts and thoughts and prayers and memories....and his music will always be here to bring us joy. But most of all....it's the happy memories that really are the "best of joy". He brought SO MUCH joy into our lives and at least I love to think about the special memories I have...it's now the memories that bring me joy. I am so happy that I was able to be on this earth at the same time MJ was here. I just wish I could get to see him again one day. That's what is so unbearable about it all. :boohoo: Before, you'd see pictures of him and even if you didn't get to see him yourself for a few years, you knew you might get to see him again SOMEDAY... somewhere in the world. But now you know you will NEVER get to see him again. There is no place you could ever go to again... no matter how much money you'd save...to get to see him again. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: And it's so hard because on most days it doesn't feel like he's gone. I still have to keep telling myself "No...he really is GONE. He is not living on this planet anymore. You WON'T get to see him again." And then I hear his song being played somewhere while I am shopping or I see footage from concerts and I am like "Is he really gone?? He CAN'T be gone?? Why doesn't it feel like he's gone?!". I mean, I am GLAD it feels like he's not gone, that he is still so very present in my mind. That was one of my biggest fears...that each passing day he will fade more and more until he is a vague memory from the past. But thank God he's still very much alive in my thoughts and I hope it will always stay that way too. And if I there will ever come a day when he feels too far away...I'll just listen to "Best Of Joy" and I am sure I'll feel close to him again. :yes:

As long as we keep the memories alive....Michael will be alive. :yes:

Anyways...just wanted to say again how MUCH I love that song. I've had it stuck in my head since yesteday. Absolutely adore it. :wub:

I think I can quite safely say I'm probably the only person in the world who's not feeling it.

Nah, you're the second, i'm the first.

Juuuuust kiddin' :lol: Actually, i must be the only person in the universe who has yet to hear it in full. Only heard that little snippet. Call me ole fashioned, but i still want to be surprised when i get the album. I'm still pissed off that i got to hear a bit of the end of I like the way you love me at the office earlier today. Thankfully, there was a lot of noise around, so i couldn't hear it properly. I know it's weird - to be grateful for not hearin' Michael properly :lol:Y'all don't even dare try to understand me.

nice sound a bit self-righteous lyrics though if you ask me.. lol

I am your joy
Your best of joy
I am the moonlight

haha

I agree wit cha. They do sound self-righteous :giggle: and not just a lil' bit either, a lottt actually :p

This is the best song for me ever made.. Peace directly from heaven!

The best song on the album.

BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!!!
His voice is so crisp and clear.
You can instantly tell any song that is written and composed entirely by MJ.

Niiiiiice descriptions.

I love this song, especially the way he begins it off, it's just so crisp and clear and the BG vocals make it so spectacular and graceful. I really really really really am confused at why Mj kept songs like this locked away... this is just breath taking and he has a wonderful taste in music and classical melodies as to put together songs like this, Little Susie, and his version of smile....

That sounds greatttt.

"Best Of Joy" does have a familiarity to it, but I think because it's so effortlessly crafted and sung by Michael. It's a brilliant little gem that has a special quality to it that makes it feel in a way that you've heard it before, maybe in some other form. I had the same feeling when I first heard "Speechless". Both are so special and magical. This song makes me tear up, especially the line - "I am Forever".

Did anybody mention Speechless? Oh Lord - i loooove that song, my favorite ever until recently. Well, if Best of joy is anything comparable, i'm bound to love it.

It really reminds me of Janet's song, "Runaway." :)

I loooove Runaway - the video, the choreography, the lyrics, everything.....sounds cool if it is similar.

His voice in this song is like a slice of heaven :heart:

My favorite
it sounds like sparkling raindrops strewn happily in a sunshine valley...

How sweet.....

Agreed...I could tell right away that this is current Mike...He really does sound like an angel in this one....:heart: The harmonies!! WOW! And I love how it sounds like Michael just started singing this for fun, he's snapping his fingers, just letting the melody and words flow out..Very natural and beautiful..I love this one!

That's nice - sounds about right - natural and beautiful, how all things should be.

I love this song...It has one of the most happiest sounding vibes I've ever heard :)

Great :D

It would be great if it really was true...It would be nice to know that one of the last songs he wrote/recorded was about JOY. He SO deserved to be happy....I wish it's true.

You can say that again summer, you can say that again. Don't we all? I don't know of anybody more deserving of true and surreal happiness than Michael.

I sort of have to agree with you. I didn't think I had heard it before, but I immediately felt "at ease" with the song simply because it was like MJ would have been singing right into my ear....like he would have been next to me or right in front of me. Like I said earlier, if you close your eyes when you listen to the song, it's SO EASY to imagine MJ in front of you, smiling happily (you know that from ear to ear happy grin of his when he was reeeeeaaaallly happy and excited....). I don't know about others but I immediately feel at ease...totally comforted...happy...content...peaceful...like everything's okay...I can't help but to smile and feel the love when I listen to the song. It's like one of those songs you'd sing at an MJ concert or at MJ's hotel with other fans and feel like you are gonna burst from happiness because you feel so loved and so UNITED and like one big happy MJ family...and like I said...like EVERYTHING would be okay. :wub::wub::wub:

Lovely, lovely result then.

The voice is definitely recent... Mike's voice here sounds very similar to the way it did on the live songs on This Is It.

I bet :)

I don't where i read stuff about bells and Christmas stuff as well. Maybe it was about another song.......that would really be the cherry on the pie, i have a thing for bells and the way they sound and don't even get me started on Christmas music. Even if it don't have this kinda sounds, i still hope imma enjoy it. The way you guys praise it so much, makes me almost afraid to listen to it lol.

Something tells me imma like it though.......i'll get back to y'all in a week or so :giggle:

I love the song but him singing 'I am forever' just kills me. It breaks my heart to hear that over and over again as he is forever. Always and forever.

Back