Blondie To Cover MJ's "Don't Stop"

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Urgh, I hate covers of Michael songs. It always sounds just so wrong. Michael's songs are difficult to sing anyway plus he sings them with such excitement and emotion you can't help but not be sucked in. People covering MJ songs just rips the emotion out.

For me the only person who has ever done a good job covering an MJ song is Stevie Wonder.

Whoever said Michael's version is bad must be on some spooky LSD trip.

But I love Blondie's version. They were already performing it as the last song of their set during their summer tour last year.

I love the fact that the Queen of Punk is honouring Michael in this way.

They're from two different worlds of music but two of the most iconic figures in pop culture. Debbie is undoubtedly one of the coolest women that ever lived. There wouldn't be a Siouxsie Sioux, Pam Hogg, Goldfrapp, Róisín Murphy or Madonna without Debbie Harry!

I think it's so humble and non pretentious of them to have made such a cover. Personally I love it, it's so creamy.

RS

Did someone actually call DSTYGE dull? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

It is probably one of if not the greatest dance song in music history FFS

I love Blondie, but this cover of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough just confirms how even the most legendary of pop stars like Debbie Harry are out of there depth when cover Michael's music. Michael was way beyond genius !

I love Blondie, but this cover of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough just confirms how even the most legendary of pop stars like Debbie Harry are out of there depth when cover Michael's music. Michael was way beyond genius !

Nobody can cover Michael's songs - his vocals are literally out of this world- very few ppl can sing that high. I had requested a live performer to play one of his songs - and he told me he couldn't because he couldn't go that high - so he played along with the song with his guitar- that's why John Mayer wouldn't sing Human Nature - his vocals weren't good enough - he said so himself on Larry King Live.

Michael was one of a kind- a true genius and no one can do his music justice. BUT - I do love that ppl pay tribute and honor him now or while he was with us by covering his music - I do appreciate that. And I welcome more artists to do so as that will be one of the ways to keep Michael alive for generations to come!

I'm a huge Blondie fan and I think their cover is pretty good. It's unique like the band itself. I mean, they are paying tribute to Michael in their own way. Debbie was devasted when she heard of his death. She used to hang out with Michael back in the late 70's early 80's.

I respect Debbie and her group.
But I didn't like the cover.
However, as some of you say, I respect she is recognizing MJ the best way she can: her way. Now, whether we like it or not, that's another thing.

I liked the version of SC... yes! The video is funny... makes me think of the kind of place I would like some MJ haters to have a walk around.... if you know what I mean... :smilerolleyes:

The people who say things like this are probably the same type of people who think that Alien Ant Farms version of Smooth Criminal is better than Michael's lol

Or that The Bates' version of "Billie Jean" is better than the original......

I'm telling you people these days have no sense for music! No wonder people like Justin Bieber can be sold as "great" artists.

Oooh No Mam! I had to press pause before she continued to murder this song. I honestly don't think anyone can do a real good job of remaking his songs. They will always lack his charisma he brings to songs.

Well if this makes money, then Michael's children will also make money through royalties..................YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a huge Blondie fan and I think their cover is pretty good. It's unique like the band itself. I mean, they are paying tribute to Michael in their own way. Debbie was devasted when she heard of his death. She used to hang out with Michael back in the late 70's early 80's.

Apart from the fact I don't rate Blondie's cover of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough highly, I agree it's a great tribute to Michael because Blondie are one of my favorite bands and one of the all time greats.

I'm not too sure if Michael and Debbie Harry ever met (it would be really cool if they did, or have met), but from what I read in a 1982 interview with Michael in Andy Warhol's Interview Magazine. Andy Warhol say's that he would love to introduce Michael to Debbie Harry next time Michael is in New York, and Michael appeared interested in doing so. And from reading that interview I don't think Michael would have met Debbie Harry until 1982-83 at the earliest. But as Michael did hang out in Studio 54 in the late 1970's and Debbie Harry also used to go there a lot, then maybe they did hang out in the late 1970's and early 80's.

I like blondie but this sounds atrocious, that song is untouchable imo. It just sounds so wrong.

People are really starting to over-use that phrase.

EDIT: No offense. I said it out of love, L.O.V.E.

Yes! I have now turned it into a drinking game. Anytime someone types L.O.V.E on this forum you take a swig

You'd never survive

I like blondie but this sounds atrocious, that song is untouchable imo. It just sounds so wrong.

I agree with you. Blondie is great but no...When I listen to the live version of Don't Stop I just close my eyes and I can see Michael:wub:

[youtube]G6QUI-qJMTY&[/youtube]

1g9f65

Cover of the future album by Blondie, which will contain a cover of the Michael Jackson song "Don't Stop".​

6s3w5y.jpg

straight bag cats i'm sorry i only listen to 2 seconds of the remake

I like the instrumentation, but its that chick's voice that kills it. It seriously does sound like a bad karaoke version. Yikes.

People should leave Michael's songs alone. That includes everyone, legend/icons too. I don't think people covering his songs suck, some of them are extremely talented like Blondie btu they suck at covering MJ's songs. No one is capable to sing a Michael Jackson song and make it sound good except Michael Jackson himself.

Whoever said Michael's version is bad must be on some spooky LSD trip.

But I love Blondie's version. They were already performing it as the last song of their set during their summer tour last year.

I love the fact that the Queen of Punk is honouring Michael in this way.

They're from two different worlds of music but two of the most iconic figures in pop culture. Debbie is undoubtedly one of the coolest women that ever lived. There wouldn't be a Siouxsie Sioux, Pam Hogg, Goldfrapp, Róisín Murphy or Madonna without Debbie Harry!

I think it's so humble and non pretentious of them to have made such a cover. Personally I love it, it's so creamy.

RS

I love 'Blondie' as well. I was happy last year to hear her celebrate Michael with a tribute to him. Blondie is great. Patti Smith played a huge part 'Punk' in the 70's.

Last edited:
Back