Forest Lawn says Fans welcome w/ some alterations of what's permitted

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Home : Michael Jackson : MJ Fans -- Cemetery Ban Won't Stop Us
MJ Fans -- Cemetery Ban Won't Stop Us

Originally posted Jun 5th 2010 12:15 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
TMZ has learned tons of Michael Jackson fans are descending upon MJ's tomb on the 1-year anniversary of his death -- even though they've been banned from the mausoleum.

As we previously reported, Forest Lawn Cemetery -- where Jackson is entombed -- claims they've adopted a new policy in which security is instructed to remove anyone hanging out in front of the King of Pop's mausoleum.

But a rep for Justice4MJ -- the fan group organizing the mass pilgrimage -- tells TMZ they are "absolutely" still going to visit the singer's burial place on the big day .. June 25th.

A rep for Forest Lawn tells us they have not yet figured out how they plan to handle the MJ anniversary ... but they will work with the Jackson family and abide by their wishes.

As for the MJ fans, one member of the group tells us, "Nothing will stop us from being with MJ on the 25th!"

that tmz story is a none story as its already been stated fans can go to FL. just cause its got mjs name in it doesnt mean it has to be posted

OMG ...Elusive...you might be on to something here...I hope that is not Randy's intentions...get fans there in mass...get the press there and make a dvd of Michael's first anniversary.....this...would be sickening.

i was being sarcastic lol but with randy who knows

Ah okay well then I have no clue.....I'm just confused. As for the family not being there....I can't see why Randy would lie about that. I'll admit I wouldn't trust him about most things but why lie about his family going to visit Michael....??

I did not say he lied about the family going there on June 25th (he's been saying that for 3 weeks now...he wants the information out that MJ3 would be there for more press & mayhem). June 25th should be a very private moment for MJ's 3 kids...But some need the spotlight more than they need remembrance.

...but it is not true that he talked FL into owning their gates on June 25th.

The gates were never closed.

Holly Terrace Happenings Update

There never seems to be a dull moment as fans of Michael Jackson count down to the emotion-packed one year anniversary of his passing on June 25th. Nothing has been officially announced as to what will be happening that day at Forest Lawn Glendale and that has left many fans who have planned pilgrimages from around the world on edge.
Adding to the 'will they or won't they' be allowed to visit Holly Terrace worry is the recent change in protocol made by Forest Lawn regarding activity on the terrace patio, which I wrote about the other day.
Perhaps we'll all get some answers today. Michael's brother, Randy Jackson, announced on his Twitter page Saturday that he'll be doing a Q&A there today (Sunday, June 6th) at 3pm PT. For readers in other time zones who want to see Randy's tweets live, here's a handy World Clock Calculator.

Presumably he'll be clarifying, among other things, his quote published June 4th on X17Online.com:
"I just had a meeting with Forest Lawn and beginning on June 25, the anniversary of my brother's death, fans will be able to go right up to the mausoleum and drop off flowers and pay their respects. Michael loved his fans, and the family wants to make sure that the fans are able to celebrate his incredible life."
Read the posted story here: Michael Jackson Fans Will Have Access To The Mausoleum, Says Brother Randy.
This set off a fire storm of discussion among fans on the internet with various interpretations of what Randy -- and the headline -- technically meant. Does access to the mausoleum mean inside? (My read on "up to" meant just that, up to the door.)
Reporting within the story also caused heated debate. Namely that "Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale is opening up the gates to Michael Jackson's fans" and "Forest Lawn security had been informed that fans were no longer welcome" at the mausoleum.
A case of ignorance about the lay of the land at Forest Lawn, or calculated pot-stirring? Maybe a bit of both.
First off, fans continue to be welcome. What's changed recently is that they are no longer allowed to congregate on the top porch after placing memorial tributes outside the entry door there.
Instead, those who feel the need to linger have been verbally instructed by security to only do so on the lower patio area, the sidewalk and the adjacent lawn. I know this because I've witnessed it happen and I also spoke with security personnel on-scene who confirmed these details.
Here's a visual to help clarify:

Secondly, my interpretation of "opening up the gates" is that it's a common turn of phrase which, if taken literally, logically refers to the famous 25-foot iron gates at the entrance of the cemetery, not the short, decorative sanctuary bronze gates in the alcove in front of the Jackson sarcophagus within Holly Terrace. Those gates are behind another barrier made up of a marble sanctuary book and chains.
I contend that people will read into the words what they want, wish, hope and pray for, lead by emotion and not logic, and that's understandable. But, taking into consideration that hundreds, maybe thousands, of fans who plan to be at Forest Lawn that date -- not to mention the thousands of roses initiative already on order -- which gates would logically accomodate the throngs in such a scenario? Here's photos of each, you be the judge:

Photo courtesy of TMZ if that wasn't already obvious
I also believe there's a media mindset -- based on Randy's earlier tweet about plans to meet with cemetery and police representatives regarding June 25th -- that became engrained back in September, when the front gates to Forest Lawn actually were closed for Michael's funeral.
On that day Glendale Blvd. was shut down to accomodate the media pool and dozens of Glendale PD were brought in to coordinate. I saw a handful of fans show up at the barriers, but the majority stayed away as they were asked to. From that perspective, it's been the media who's been unwelcome, not fans.

It's been a year of twists and turns in this story to be sure, so anything is possible between now and June 25th. But here's the thing: try to step back and consider the source of the information you're reading. What's the editorial motivation behind these types of articles? Personally, I don't believe that tabloid media churns out stories to be helpful in any sense of the word.
Most recent example? TMZ posted yet another inflammatory piece on Saturday titled MJ Fans -- Cemetery Ban Won't Stop Us. It includes sensationalized reporting that misrepresents the facts about a "ban" which makes the situation, as I know it to be, sound more heatedly dramatic than it really is.
And when readers feed into it, the pot gets stirred further. Tabloid mission accomplished!
In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing what Randy has to say, and taking it, one day at a time, from there.
http://lisaburks.typepad.com/gravehunting/2010/06/holly-terrace-happenings-update.html

question about the name holly terrace. is that an american spelling for holy? as holly terrace ie the plant/bush doesnt really go with the place but holy as in religious does

The picture is owned by TMZ with no watermark which probably means it was a TMZ photog in the mausoleum. So its probably them who also took the MJ tomb pic with the sunflowers. So IMO that story of fans paying security $3000 to get in is probably pap pretending to be fan. They can get that kind of money very fast.

It wasn't a TMZ photographer that were inside and took the pictures of MJ's resting place with the sunflowers, it was a fan . this is how it happened and this is why they no longer aren't allowing people on the patio

the fan gained access when the door was opened by legit visitors. Security personnel did not let them in, despite rumors circulating per eyewitnesses I spoke with.
source : lisa burks

question about the name holly terrace. is that an american spelling for holy? as holly terrace ie the plant/bush doesnt really go with the place but holy as in religious does
It's holly, like the plant or the name Holly, yes. Americans don't spell "holy" any differently. Although it kind of feels like a "Holy Terrace" to me, considering :cry:

I did not say he lied about the family going there on June 25th (he's been saying that for 3 weeks now...he wants the information out that MJ3 would be there for more press & mayhem). June 25th should be a very private moment for MJ's 3 kids...But some need the spotlight more than they need remembrance.

...but it is not true that he talked FL into owning their gates on June 25th.

The gates were never closed.

No no I didn't mean you Memefan was referring to another post where the member said they didn't think his mother or children will be there. Definitely not you :D

Its all wrong, Michael should never have been placed in this secretly guarded tomb, he loved his fans and the fans want to pay their respect, he was the biggest star we had ever known, and its natural for people to celebrate his life. He should be moved, I hope one day I can pay my respects and visit Mike, and I hope it will be at Neverland.

No no I didn't mean you Memefan was referring to another post where the member said they didn't think his mother or children will be there. Definitely not you :D

I apologize.

But I can understand the other poster doubting their appearance. Not often do you hear a celebrity tell the press where they are gonna be weeks prior. Unless he wants to compete with Heidi & Spencer. lol

Its all wrong, Michael should never have been placed in this secretly guarded tomb, he loved his fans and the fans want to pay their respect, he was the biggest star we had ever known, and its natural for people to celebrate his life. He should be moved, I hope one day I can pay my respects and visit Mike, and I hope it will be at Neverland.
I agree.

We shall see what will happen. I still don't think I am ready to visit. I will only find closure HOPEFULLY when MURRAY gets what he deserves.

In the mean time... time will heal the pain.

Thanks.

MJ priorities are his kids not fans with all the respect being one,so if I know that his kids/mother want to spend alone time with him whenever the hell they want without anyone around I respect that.
MJ is not merch or a touristic attraction or a public property and its not up to random ppl to decide where the body of a dead man should REST IN PEACE....
I celebrate his life with his music and art not trolling around his grave while his kids might be there.Can you imagine having an impersonator outside while his kids are there to pay their father respect?fuck that....some MJ fans are just ridiculous..

I also think its stupid that MJ is buried where he is. So many people want to see his grave but can't due to this heavily guarded area. I can understand there being rules and hours, but this is ridiculous. I hope one day his body is moved to an accessible place where fans and family can visit at any time. Of course there should be guards on standby to oversee the grave and make sure nothing bad happens but this security now is crazy. I don't see why they can't have general public viewing hours for maybe 5 or 6 hours per day. Then again, Forest Lawn is a maze to get into, you have to go through many security personnel just to get into that one section, its like a maze. Let's just hope someone comes to their senses and moves him.

He is fine where he is. This is not about the fans. None of us have any say what so ever in this and to be frank it is galling that some of you act this way

I also think its stupid that MJ is buried where he is. So many people want to see his grave but can't due to this heavily guarded area. I can understand there being rules and hours, but this is ridiculous. I hope one day his body is moved to an accessible place where fans and family can visit at any time. Of course there should be guards on standby to oversee the grave and make sure nothing bad happens but this security now is crazy. I don't see why they can't have general public viewing hours for maybe 5 or 6 hours per day. Then again, Forest Lawn is a maze to get into, you have to go through many security personnel just to get into that one section, its like a maze. Let's just hope someone comes to their senses and moves him.

I agree. The most famous person passes away with a fan base larger than any other in history and they have him placed where nobody can visit? It doesn't make sense.

He is fine where he is. This is not about the fans. None of us have any say what so ever in this and to be frank it is galling that some of you act this way

There is nothing wrong with too much love. Michael was loved, on every corner of the world. That fact can't be ignored. Its up to Michael's kids at the end, no one else. I'll respect whatever decision they make in the future regarding this. But I'm sure they are well aware of his fans and how much he loved them and loved being surrounded with love.

I apologize.

But I can understand the other poster doubting their appearance. Not often do you hear a celebrity tell the press where they are gonna be weeks prior. Unless he wants to compete with Heidi & Spencer. lol

No worries. And yes I can see that too. It does seem odd but then again not alot surprises me with the Jacksons nowadays.

Michael is truly universal now no matter were you are in the world, he can hear your priers. he can hear you no matter what. I think its nice if MJ fans can visit his sight, but I know he hears our cries regardless.

Personally I don't see the need to go inside and see his actual resting place. Is it that much to ask that Michael and his kids and family have something private for a change. Not sure what difference it makes to actually go inside and see it. Let him rest in peace, just because it's Michael Jackson doesn't mean mayhem must follow him until the end of time.
He's not a tourist attraction, it's about time some people realised that.

Personally I don't see the need to go inside and see his actual resting place. Is it that much to ask that Michael and his kids and family have something private for a change. Not sure what difference it makes to actually go inside and see it. Let him rest in peace, just because it's Michael Jackson doesn't mean mayhem must follow him until the end of time.

I agree with this...

I agree. I am finding this sense of entitlement from some fans here absolutely sickening and selfish.

I agree. I am finding this sense of entitlement from some fans here absolutely sickening and selfish.

It's not just fans asking ...Randy is doing a darn job pushing the issue, to gain fans' trust & admiration.

Actually, many fans have tweeted to Tito & Jackie asking him to stop Randy from opening Forest Lawn.

It's sad when strangers care more for a man's privacy than his own sibling.

"randyjackson8: We met with Forest Lawn - its true they agreed to let the fans go up 2 Holly Terrace on the 25th & I'm working on something even better..."

"randyjackson8: I can't promise but there's a possibility that fans will b able 2 go inside. I have 2 discuss this w/my family as well, I'm fighting for u."

Last edited:

I agree. Even though he's the biggest celebrity on the planet and is loved by many, he doesn't owe us anything. He should be in peace and we should respect it. We are allowed to come up to the door and leave flowers there, it's more than enough.

There is nothing wrong with too much love. Michael was loved, on every corner of the world. That fact can't be ignored. Its up to Michael's kids at the end, no one else. I'll respect whatever decision they make in the future regarding this. But I'm sure they are well aware of his fans and how much he loved them and loved being surrounded with love.

To move someone from their resting place just so you can visit them is selfish and pointless. I love Michael lots of people did but what you and some others are talking about is obsession. Michael did not belong to you in life and he does not in death

It's not just fans asking ...Randy is doing a darn job pushing the issue, to gain fans' trust & admiration.

Actually, many fans have tweeted to Tito & Jackie asking him to stop Randy from opening Forest Lawn.

It's sad when strangers care more for a man's privacy than his own sibling.

it's sad that he will bother kate in that very day....it's even sadder he will bother M's kids.....I can only imagine him trying to explain them what a wonderful idea is,how their father would be so proud....as proud as the belts fiasco....

I 've just wrote in the other post but I'm rethinking it as we speak.. I said Maybe they should give the Memorial around Forest Lawn but true Forest Lawn is not really for the fans unless where accepted.My take is Randy is on the right track but as long as it's free to the public and no money is exchanged,it would be just fine, I also would like for Anyone who is involved to ease the pressures off of Mom Katie Jackson and His Children, They'll have my respect for that.

I imagine fans playing loud loud MJ music while gathering, etc. Kind of wrong place to do.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

no you are right...unfortunately there are people that dont quite get the concept of were they are...they ae at a persons final resting place. They are disturbing the peace and tranquility of of the mosolium...and that is terrible....Michael deserves to RIP not for his own fans to make a circus out of FL. It has been ruined now for all of the fans who just want to go there and quietly pay there respects..maybe leave some flowers and just reflect for a few minutes...there is no need to go there and hang around for hours and create drama. Poor Michael...I hope we his fans have not embarrassed him..:(

Quoted for truth!

Back