HIStory is such an underrated song

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
Earlier on today i was listening to the HIStory Album which is very good but theres alot of underated songs on it such as HIStory and Stanger in Moscow i love both songs but they need more publicity i know MJ performed them on tour but i still think there underrated

The whole album is underrated because so many people just like albums with a bunch of happy feel good music but i appreciate HIStory because Mike was so personal with the songs there.

The whole album is underrated because so many people just like albums with a bunch of happy feel good music but i appreciate HIStory because Mike was so personal with the songs there.
I couldn't express it better, exactly my opinion too.

History is my favorite album of his, I love it!! To me its annoying when a artist is singing songs about nothing, and since each of these songs have a personal meaning behind it, to me it just makes it better

it was both books of history that made me a fan...or had a good part in making me a fan. It was the first full album of mikes i had in my possession.

Earlier on today i was listening to the HIStory Album which is very good but theres alot of underated songs on it such as HIStory and Stanger in Moscow i love both songs but they need more publicity i know MJ performed them on tour but i still think there underrated

Couldn't agree more! I was watching Earth Song on youtube and thought how amazing the song and video are! Also how relevant especially with global warming etc!! I absolutely love History. I think many of MJ albums are underrated (even Thriller). I think its because some peeps can't accept that one person can be THIS talented!!! They can accept Thriller (only just) as a one off but to have album after album full of hits...its like NOOOOOO!!

"History" is Michael's best album in my view. The songs are really advanced and have a lot of depth, not just lyrically, but musically as well, with amazing melodies, cord changes, vocal, rhythm and percussion sections. I think the entire record consists of Michael's best work. The song "History" itself is a monumental song, imo. Totally different from anything else out there, the vocal arrangements are out of this world, the way it transitions into and out of audio clips to the music, the whole build up of the song, when it reaches its crescendo, the lyrics are very strong, and the whole feel of nation to nation patriotism but at the same time tranquility with each other is amazing. Great song and yes, like the whole album, underrated.

Well it was nominated for the Album of the Year - Grammy Awards 95.

It also won the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Best International Album - Danish Grammy Awards.

But yes, previous albums have overshadowed History. But I think Youtube is helping.

I still don't get why some people say Little Susie is creepy or the weakest track in History though. Okay so each to their own but I believe Little Susie is one of the strongest works from Michael.

In my opinion History is the best album ever produced by Michael. Raw, strong and highly creative.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

People like Kanye West and all these hip-hop guys who have use samples in their songs should listen to the song 'History'. That's how samples should be used. In a creative way. 'Little Susie' makes good use of samples too. But it just doesn't do it as well as 'History' IMO. I don't actually think I've ever heard samples used better. Except maybe Walter Murphy's 'A Fifth of Beethoven'. That's probably the best use of samples ever in a song. But 'History' comes very close.

Hmm I don't know about HIStory the single, to me it's a rather messy and disorganised track. But that's just my opinion.

HIStory the album however, is definetely underrated!

Well it was nominated for the Album of the Year - Grammy Awards 95.

It also won the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Best International Album - Danish Grammy Awards.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But yes, previous albums have overshadowed History. But I think Youtube is helping. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I still don't get why some people say Little Susie is creepy or the weakest track in History though. Okay so each to their own but I believe Little Susie is one of the strongest works from Michael.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In my opinion History is the best album ever produced by Michael. Raw, strong and highly creative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
Little Susie has a profound effect on me whenever I listen to it. I think it is one of Michael's most soulfull songs. His voice and the lyrics in that song really reach me.

I just love how HIStory was performed on HIStory Tour! All the crew on stage holding the flags of different countries. It was very honorable way to end the show! I remember crying throught the whole song, because it was so beautiful, but at the same time I knew the show was coming to an end.

I love that song so much! First time hearing it i was amazed.

HIStory the album is i suppose my least favourite, but as i listen to it more im starting to appreciate it more. It's got some cracking individual songs though, Stranger is moscow, Dam that is a big tune.

amazing album. yeah i too think it was underrated. i love it when michaels writes songs about his personal life and experiences. feel good songs are cool too but when it comes to michael songs that are about his life are even more amazing and interesting to me.

People like Kanye West and all these hip-hop guys who have use samples in their songs should listen to the song 'History'. That's how samples should be used. In a creative way. 'Little Susie' makes good use of samples too. But it just doesn't do it as well as 'History' IMO. I don't actually think I've ever heard samples used better. Except maybe Walter Murphy's 'A Fifth of Beethoven'. That's probably the best use of samples ever in a song. But 'History' comes very close.
i guess it depends on taste and culture when it comes to sampling and how samples are used. and it's certainly clever the way HIStory was produced but i never caught on to the original song. i really only appreciated it after hearing the remixes done by legendary producers J Dilla and Ali Shaheed - The Ummah mixes. because of that sound, it made me appreciate and get into the lyrics a lot more. masterful song.

btw, i agree on Kanye not being able to sample properly - but i wouldn't generalise sampling ("hip-hop guys") in the hip-hop community. it's a diverse art there and goes much deeper than what you hear Kanye do. in fact, HIStory producers Jam & Lewis are notorious for ripping off techniques or using ghost productions from underground producers (but they do make it sound good).

Little Suzie is odd... I don't get why he wrote it, did it have to do with someone he knew?

Little Suzie is odd... I don't get why he wrote it, did it have to do with someone he knew?

But at the same time it's quite fascinating, because it's so mysterious song and you know so little about it.

"Little Susie" is about the affects of neglect. The girl in the song died because no one was there to take care of her or love her.

I love HIStory the album (see my review in a thread below). But the track isn't great as a song in itself, the verses and the chorus don't gel in opinion. And the extended vocal samples at the start and the end means you go too long without hearing any music.

Last edited:
I love HIStory the album (see my review in a thread below). But the track isn't great as a song in itself, the verses and the chorus don't gel in opinion. And the extended vocal samples at the start and the means you go too long without hearing any music.

I agree, you said it better than I did earlier.

Last edited:
Back