“Hollywood Tonight” VIDEO premieres NOW

An overly dark, slow, girl-being-miserable video just won't fit this danceable uptempo track. I think they found a pretty good middle ground between the lyrics and the music.

I can't believe you people are taking this so seriously. It really doesn't matter if the video follows the lyrical content of the song 100%. It captures the 'flavour' of the song and that's what matters. Not all MJs own videos followed the lyrics, so why pick on this video?

It's a much better video than HMH and follows MJ's direction much better to. There's nothing to moan about really.

Hollywood Tonight has now fallen out of the UK radio airplay Top50 after only 3 weeks. It only peaked at #35!

Haven't really read through all the comments, but it seems like a lot of people are still feeling kinda grumpy about this video. All I have to say is that, we should remember something important: this is not a Micahel Jackson video, nor is it based on a michael jackson album. The album and videos are all TRIBUTES to the king of pop. They are ways of honoring his legacy. Michael's work is done, it's been done. The first few projects since his death were meant to bring forth Michael's remaining work. His last moments on stage were captured in This Is It. His final uncompleted short film was released on Vision. And finally his final unfinished recordings were released on Michael. And that's that. From now on, any new project regarding Michael will be in honor of his legacy, starting with The Immortal World Tour. I realized that alot of the fans, especially the younger fans are upset that they didn't get to live through the release of a new Michael album or short film, or to see him on stage. I completely sympathize with you, I became a fan in 2002, so I haven't experienced that either. But we need to come to our senses and realized that unfortunately Michael has passed and enjoying these experiences is no longer possible. What we can do now is simply re-live the magic by listening to and watching Michael's body of work as well as look forward to future projects that are inspired by him and meant to HONOR his legacy..not recreate it.

I don't go against Anything!! that has Michael's name on it.......:wub:
If we don not support it who will?
It is only making the haters say....
See I told you he was CRAP!!!!And look at his Fan's?fighting over it....
So maybe i am turning a blind EYE to some things? I just can't help myself :doh: BUT i do like the album and videoclip it has a feel of Michael maybe not what most Fans like...BUT well yea... Michael is not here to make it 100%?!!!

Last edited:
I love the video did not read through all these comments, but was wondering if someone could tell me if this is the same girl from the TII rehearsals who was saying she wanted to feel what Michael felt when she saw him dance?

Gosh, what monkeys are running this thing? Seriously, I don't think i've ever seen John Branca and John McClain before. For all I know one of them could be Bubbles.

Not that I agree with the negativity of people in this thread, I don't have a problem with the song/mix or the video - but that made me laugh out loud!

Branca and McClain should probably make an appearance in the next video, just to let people see that they actually exist. :rofl:

Dang, I didn't know there are so many people here who can't handle a tastefully done stripping scene in a music video. Which is funny considering they are fans of Michael Jackson -- the same man who appeared butt naked with his wife in a video, who does some of the most sexually charged dance moves on stage, who created a big controversy with his Black or White video where he imitates masturbation, who has a prostitute in his Who Is It video, etc. etc.

I don't know how some of you managed to handle all that. LOL!

No comment. :wild: :rofl:

50 % of all comments on youtube are that Hollywood Tonight is not Michael Jackson, and that the voice is fake!

Please everyone watch the official video on youtube and leave good comments. Some people are so ignorant there. Also the video has only 3,8 MIL in 5 days, Hold My Hand had 7 MIL in 7 days!!!

^ Wow some people are so crazy.

Some of many comments:

i've been a fan since free willy part.1 came out. I love mike! always have always will. BUT this is not him I mean for gods sake! people jus cuz it says "Michael Jackson" doesn't mean its him!!! dayum like fo reals, sony is tryna make money by using mike's name.? this is shiiiettt
xxleandraxx1 prije 2 minute

Thumbs up if you think thats? not MJs voice :'[[

50 % of all comments on youtube are that Hollywood Tonight is not Michael Jackson, and that the voice is fake!

Please everyone watch the official video on youtube and leave good comments. Some people are so ignorant there. Also the video has only 3,8 MIL in 5 days, Hold My Hand had 7 MIL in 7 days!!!
Just trying to stir up controversy.

Ignore everything you see.

The Video version of the song has much clearer vocals that are not over-processed...............

Teddy Riley has gotta stop messing with Michael's vocals or he's gonna become very unpopular with MJ fans!!!!!

Damn, I really hate what they did to the song..it doesn't sound good now with that BJ beat. They should have left the album version cuz this one really sucks!
And about the video, I just don't like it but I knew I wouldn't, now that Michael is gone..it can never be the same again.

This. Should have kept the song the way it was (except for the spoken part), I don't see the need in changing it. And the video - about what I expected. Michael is gone, so we get some girl going to Hollywood, being a stripper and drinking, then dancing like MJ at the end. I'm not going to spend much time complaining about it, but I'm underwhelmed. I can't say I'm disappointed because I really didn't expect much, sadly. :(

Last edited:
The video is available on iTunes (for those who don't know). It's currently at #28 in the video chart.

I might be late on this or am I the online notice something.. I'm watching this is it and the HOLLYWOOD TONIGHT girl is in it.. She auditioned and didn't get selected.. It made it lol like she was a stand out thow cuz she stands right next to the blonde dancer as she gets selected..... I knew I saw this girl sumwhere!

I might be late on this or am I the online notice something.. I'm watching this is it and the HOLLYWOOD TONIGHT girl is in it.. She auditioned and didn't get selected.. It made it lol like she was a stand out thow cuz she stands right next to the blonde dancer as she gets selected..... I knew I saw this girl sumwhere!

She got selected, but she was still under contract for Madonna's Confessions Tour and couldn't get out of it. This was mentioned in an article by Joe Vogel. ( http://joevogel.wordpress.com/ ) :)

i knew i saw her somewhere and my mind wasnt playin games on me!

I saw the video on tv today and I live in Canada. I was surprised because I thought it wasn't going to be released here. It was nice to see.

The ending with everyone dancing I liked. Seeing people dance like that always reminds me of Michael (I know they were doing his dance moves). Before he died I see other people dance in their videos and I think of him. He did it first and I hope people remember that.

Tricia, I appreciate how you always maintain a postive attitude and liking everything about the album. Good for you. That's great.

All fans are here because we love Michael, which we all agree is a positive attribute. However, our love of Michael does not necessarily transfer to loving all projects released by Sony with his name attached.

It has nothing to do with being picky or negative. It's about each individual's preference and opinion. We watched the video. Some love it. Some don't. Nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is that the people who don't like the video are automatically being perceived as negative people who have a hard time in enjoying anything in life.

Different people honor his legacy differently. Some people think continuous new releases help reinforce his legacy. Other people think releases have to be done more selectively and artistically in order to do the name Michael Jackson justice. Who's in the position to say who's right and who's wrong?

Different people hear different things. To you, the difference in the vocal is minimal. To me, the difference in the vocal is quite obvious. I didn't even need to try hard to listen. The vocals used in the video are less processed, sound more raw. The verse starts with "westbound greyhound to tinsel town...." sounds much more natural now, less robotic sounding. I don't think the Billie Jean drum beats are necessary at all. The beatboxing in the beginning of the song is butchered. Still, I prefer this version to the album version.

As for the video, I can care less. It's not a video I will watch repeatedly. Sofia is a great dancer. She makes this video worth watching. All the best to her. But, this video, as what a member from another forum put it, looks like an extended commercial for the Experience. It's a cheery video clip with some great dance moves. To me, the storyline deviates a lot from the concept Michael had.

So, this video does not excite me. Do I think I over-analyzed all little details in negative manner? No, I don't think so. I, and some fans, just expressed our fair opinons on a video we just watched. Why is it okay for us to critique a non-Michael Jackson video, but not a video created by a director trying to intrepret Michae's vision? So, having a less than favorable opinion on another artist is not negative. But, having a less than favorable opinion on this very video is negative?

There is not one day that I stop enjoying the wonderment Michael created. And, I'm sure all members here do enjoy Michael's music in his/her own way. We share a common love of Michael Jackson, we just don't share a common love of a particular project. So, does it really matter that much a majority of people have to share a favorable opinion on this project?

:clapping::clapping::clapping::yes::yes::yes:
Very well said, and I have nothing to add!

Unfortunately, I have not seen the video yet on Belgian tv. Although I like the video mix of the song, the video itself is not particularly innovative or memorable. Not saying that it's bad, but it's not something that I want to watch over and over again.

Were people upset about the prostitute in "Who Is It"? The guy got up out of his wheel chair to join her on the bed so I am not sure why the stripper is so offensive. I think it fits the song so I feel it is appropriate. I never thought of Michael as a prude.

I am not trying to be difficult here.

It was not actually showing them having sex or even doing the movements, just them falling onto the bed. It actually shows her stripping around a pole...
Being a prostitute is worse, but yet somehow the video showed it in a more "classy" way. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's the way I see it. And as someone else pointed out, there was a lot of talk before about what the heck the Who Is It video was really about, and there were many different interpretations. With HT, she's just a stripper. End of story, nothing to figure out.

Last edited:

This is very sad but not a huge surprise given the over processed vocals on the album version of HT and the totally avoidable controversy surrounding a few other songs on the album. Both Sony and the Estate are fully to blame.

Back