How the West Was Worn by . . . Michael Jackson

ivy

Proud Member
autry_tompkins_bush_card.jpg

http://theautry.org/special-installations/michael-jackson

"How the West Was Worn by . . . Michael Jackson"

Location/Dates:

The Autry at Griffith Park (Los Angeles, CA)
Opening August 17, 2010

In the world of style, pop icon Michael Jackson’s willingness to try different patterns and designs made him truly unique. Millions of people around the world saw his elaborate costumes, but very few realized the Western influence in the design. The Autry National Center’s installation shows how Jackson’s use of Western wear evolved over the years, reflecting his ability to use classic Western styles in distinctive ways.

Featured items on display include:

* Cowboy outfit
* Western-style belt and buckle
* Steel cowboy boots
* Red bib-front shirt with black trim
* Designers Tompkins/Bush’s original sketch
* Black 501 Levi’s jeans
* Black fedora hat
* Aviator sunglasses
* Single white glove

This installation is made possible by the generosity of designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush. All of the artifacts are from their private collection. The Autry would like to thank them for their generosity and support.

The following are the items that will be on display

1977 Shirt and pants

Worn by Michael Jackson on 'The Jacksons' television variety show; original air date March 2, 1977. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-1

LT2010_64_1_lg.jpg

LT2010_64_1detail1_lg.jpg

Worn by Michael Jackson on 'The Jacksons' television variety show; original air date March 2, 1977. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-1

LT2010_64_2_lg.jpg

1996 Shirt and pants

Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, designers. Worn by Michael Jackson promoting the HIStory World Tour in Sydney, Australia, on November 17, 1996. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-5

LT2010_64_5_lg.jpg

LT2010_64_5detail1_lg.jpg

Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, designers. Worn by Michael Jackson promoting the HIStory World Tour in Sydney, Australia, on November 17, 1996. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection;LT2010-64-6

LT2010_64_6_lg.jpg

1983 belts

Worn by Michael Jackson on several occasions, most notably on the 'Beat It' album and poster in 1983. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-3

LT2010_64_3_lg.jpg

LT2010_64_3detail1_lg.jpg

1990 boots

Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, designers. Worn by Michael Jackson on several occasions, including to the White House on April 5, 1990. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-4

LT2010_64_4_12detail1_lg.jpg

1996 hat and glasses

Worn by Michael Jackson promoting the HIStory World Tour in Sydney, Australia, on November 17, 1996. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-7

LT2010_64_7_lg.jpg

Worn by Michael Jackson promoting the HIStory World Tour in Sydney, Australia, on November 17, 1996. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-8

LT2010_64_8_lg.jpg

2002 glove

Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, designers. Worn by Michael Jackson on the cover of 'Vibe' magazine in March 2002; this is the last glove Jackson was photographed wearing. From the Tompkins/Bush Collection; LT2010-64-10

LT2010_64_10detail1_lg.jpg

Last edited:
1977 Shirt and pants

LT2010_64_1_lg.jpg

LT2010_64_1detail1_lg.jpg

LT2010_64_2_lg.jpg

[youtube]ONtgm74WwQE[/youtube]

I love this! :wild:

I would love to have any such an item. :wild:

Last edited:
All of those outfits are truly stylish. Michael's distinctive style did possess a degree of West American influence. The beauty of Michael's fashion is that he was able to incorporate different styles (western, urban, vintage, futuristic, to name a few) and make it ALL look great. :)

Wow! It's opening on my 40th birthday. If only someone could treat me to a trip ...

WOW! This is amazing! I love all of it! Especially those killer boots...OMG, he was amazing!

Wow, that's really cool. Those outfits are amazing. I love them.

I love this! :wild:

I would love to have any such an item. :wild:

MJ's moves are just too mooozzer foozin sillk!!! and that soulful singing!!

..and they mentioned a beat it album in the op. i didn't know there was a beat it album

Last edited:
his outfit is amazing and those boots are something else!! But I have to admit that western is the last thing, literally the last thing in my head when I see MJ's outfit. This is really cool though :D

..and they mentioned a beat it album in the op. i didn't know there was a beat it album

.And by Beat It album they're referring to the single release, I assume.

I copied the explanations directly (I didn't write them) and yes they mention an album but I too think that they refer to the Beat it single

Beat%2BIt%2B7%27%27%2BSingle.jpg

and this is the poster they are mentioning I guess

Michael-Jackson-The-Girl-Is-Mine-350454.jpg

Last edited:
I copied the explanations directly (I didn't write them) and yes they mention an album but I too think that they refer to the Beat it single

Beat%2BIt%2B7%27%27%2BSingle.jpg

and this is the poster they are mentioning I guess

Michael-Jackson-The-Girl-Is-Mine-350454.jpg

Cool belt..I want it! lol everything looks amazing!

why are these costumes in the possession of Michael Bush & Tompkins? They designed these clothes for MJ...MJ must have paid them...Therefore The clothes should belong to MJ's estate/kids.

I am tired of folks making money off MJ. First it was the abc interview & selling private photographs with Karen Faye..now this.

I can't deal with any of them anymore.

Last edited:
1977 Shirt and pants

Soon as I saw the pics, I was thinking of this segment:yes: MJ, the sexiest cowboy ever:) He looked fine in whatever clothes he wore. He made the clothes, not the other way around.

why are these costumes in the possession of Michael Bush & Tompkins? They designed these clothes for MJ...MJ must have paid them...Therefore The clothes should belong to MJ's estate/kids.

I am tired of folks making money off MJ. First it was the abc interview & selling private photographs with Karen Faye..now this.

I understand your frustrations, but it is possible that Michael gave them these items as he has done in the past to others like Aaron Carter for instance.

It's all just about Money and nothing else!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing My Mother and I was just talking last night about How we've always seen this trend in Michael's clothing. The fusion of western style. The point blank country-western clothing is obvious. Michael fused tradtional & Modern and I've always related to him for this. I'm like that.

Wow I sooo wanna go to that and I LOVE those silver metal shoes, I want some for me! I never thought about the western influence in some of his clothes, I thought it was mainly military he wore but this just shows once again how diverse he was.

Today Bush and Thomkins were at the "Good Morning America" talking about the display at the museum.

One funny thing that they talked about the boots and said that Michael loved them even more because when he looked down he could see his face. :)

I understand your frustrations, but it is possible that Michael gave them these items as he has done in the past to others like Aaron Carter for instance.

In today's GMA (see the link above) they said that the museum asked Michael before his death and he authorized the items and the display.

In today's GMA (see the link above) they said that the museum asked Michael before his death and he authorized the items and the display.

Bush=Tompkins=karen faye=money hungry whores

Did you expect them to say otherwise.

MJ agreed to a lot of things before he passed...he even agreed to them selling private pictures to abc on the anniversary of his passing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKE1VCM6org&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKE1VCM6org&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back