JK Rowling turned down a mysterious offer from Michael Jackson

Rowling Rejected Jackson's Potter Musical Proposal

MICHAEL JACKSON once approached J.K. ROWLING with plans to turn her HARRY POTTER stories into a stage musical - but his idea was snubbed because the author was not convinced it would be a success.

Rowling's series of books have been brought to life on the big screen and even inspired its very own theme park in Orlando, Florida - but the Brit reveals there was one big proposal she rejected, even though it came from the King of Pop himself.

In a candid new interview with talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, which aired in the U.S. on Friday (01Oct10), she says, "Michael Jackson wanted to do a musical.

"I said no to a lot of things. For me, I love the films, I love the books, and there's elements that I love around it... like the theme park. But I only wanted to do it because I knew it would be incredible."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/rowling-rejected-jacksons-potter-musical-proposal_1168851

and if you are looking for a Harry Potter Musical - Here you go :) (It's fan made)

and if you like the above one here's the sequel

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm sure Michael would have made it mindblowing.

I don't know... I love both MJ and Harry Potter but I also think a musical wouldn't be so good...

I'm sick and tired of hearing this kind of BS! Now that Mike is not on this side to state his side of the story anyone and everyone can come up and proclaim on national/international tv how they were 'approached' by the King of Pop 'himself' and how these people were not interested and they said 'no' and blah blah, blah! Michael Jackson is a music genius-the greatest entertainer ever, a visionary who would always think ahead of his time and NEVER FAIL TO DELIVER! First of all we do not know if this JK story is true, secondly, if it is, Michael knew what he was talking about. JK is an author not a musician and she should have enough decency and respect while speaking of a creative genius like Michael Jackson who has set such unprecedented world records with his absolutely extraordinary and unique artistic achievements that she and other lesser mortals (like herself) can only gape at!

Co-sign, you are so right we don't even know if the bitch is lying.. for publicity, who knows..

Why call her a "bitch"?

For all you know, she's telling the truth, why would she have to lie? She wouldn't! She's mega-successful in her own right. The MJ story isn't really that interesting and she certainly isn't 'dishing any dirt' so why some fans have become very defensive and aggressive over this is beyond me.
Anyway, a HP Musical wouldn't have been a very good idea; 7 books in 3 hours?

Last edited:
funny, some people already thought the HP musical(Michael Jackson's) is not good when we don't even know Michael's plan. this remind me of thriller video, before Michael created his mindblowing horror music video, many people told him it's not good.

I understand why people may not like her, but I don't understand the overly aggressive tone people have for her. It is not necessary. So, please tone that down.

Calling her names and telling to go to hell??? What for? Because she lost out on a great opportunity???

Please let's keep things in perspective.

Hmmm, maybe it would've had great music by MJ, but a Hairy Potter musical?

That is something I definitely DON'T want to see.

Well I think if MIke directed it, it would've been AWESOME!!! :D
I'm not sayin this cuz I love Michael and Admire him, But this idea could have gone somewhere… This is the man who did Ghosts, Thriller, Moonwalker…those were amazing IMHO! But hey, I'm not JK. so Its cool...

But here is my problem, Does OPRAH Have to bring up Michael in her shows? What is the point of that really? She did a show last year (Memories of Michael…or something lame like that) And I say lame cuz it was! :smilerolleyes: No matter how she tries to be nice…I dont buy it… :)

I dont know why I'm like this when it comes to Oprah…but yeah… Sry. if I went off topic…

L.o.v.e.
Romi

I completely understand the recentment towards Oprah, but (this time) nothing bad was said, right? So I don't see the problem and can't understand the hateful comments directed at JK Rowling. I thought it was interesting to hear that Michael had approached her about a Harry Potter musical! I like HP and love Michael, so that combination might've produced something very interesting..! :)

JK Rowling didn't do anything wrong. She has every right to turn down people's offer on her own creations.

I'm sure Michael was approached by MANY MANY people who wanted to collaborate with him. I'm sure Michael turned down many people. Every artist has right to his/her works.

What I have problem with is the sensational headline came up by Oprah's team or the media. What's so "mysterious" about a potential Harry Porter musical? Again, Michael's name is used to grab people's attention.

To the people who said the musical definitely doesn't work, why jump to conclusion without knowing slightly any details about Michael's plans and ideas?

Like some have pointed out before, people always had doubt in Michael. People always thought he came up with crazy ideas. Look what happened. Michael Jackson accomplished the impossibles. Michael was a creative genius and a visionary. Most of us will never understand his thought process. Plus, is it fair to give our opinon on a project that never takes place?

I'm glad that Michael was not stopped by the naysayers in his life.

Oprah is so annoying! Ms. Rowling mentioned Michael for about 3 seconds and Oprah has to make some big headline out of it to promote this interview! That's so low! Couldn't she have said instead "JK opens up, talks about fears" or something like that? But noooo, Oprah has this obsession with Michael. She mentions his name every time she can because she knows it'll bring her higher ratings. I wish she wouldn't have interrupted Ms. Rowling because she was about to explain more about the musical idea.
Rowling didn't want a musical. What's the big deal anyway? I'm not fussed. Michael obviously liked the books and/or the movies and wasn't resentful about the rejection, he even invited the HP cast to his show.

I personally can't visualize a HP musical without it coming off as corny, so I can understand why Rowling rejected the offer, but I'm sure MJ could have made it work somehow.

Guys there is no name for name calling whatsoever. Just because JK Rowling turned the offer down does not make her a bitch, as some posters referred to her as. I'm sure Michael turned down many offers from artists all trying to work with him.

^ I like J. K. Rowling and the HP series. But to be fair, Michael didn't spill about offers he turned down in interviews after the person was dead. Now I'm seeing comments from people on other sites laughing at MJ and his "stupid idea" and "how bad it would have been". I don't get the point in mentioning it now that he's dead. It's just brought another opportunity for people to put down Michael and I'm worn down from it all. If someone has something inspirational/uplifting to share about him, that great. But otherwise just him rest in peace.

It reminds me of what Siedah Garrett said after Michael's death:

"I was asked by CNN, Entertainment Tonight, MSNBC, Hollywood Tonight, EXTRA, all of these news media...they want me to talk about Michael. And I'm thinking; nobody was asking me to talk about Michael on Tuesday...nobody was asking me to talk about Michael on Wednesday. And now everyone wants to hear whatever dirt I have to offer, to feed into this media madness... I have nothing to offer."

I agree about not name calling. I know MJ would take the higher ground, and I like to follow his lead there.

Last edited:
yea but sometimes he himself was a namecaller... But one reason i dont read the tabs/net or anything dealing with michael. Everything is twisted up.

I believe J.K. Rowling is bringing all this up now because, now,
she Does want to do a "Harry Potter" play.
I think she is hoping someone else will now call her up
and say they will write her a musical play.
Don't be surprised if the next thing you hear is that a
"Harry Potter" play is about to open somewhere.

Oprah is so annoying! Ms. Rowling mentioned Michael for about 3 seconds and Oprah has to make some big headline out of it to promote this interview!

This. This is why people should be upset about this situation. Oprah is dropping MJ's name to get more viewers, which is a low thing to do. And in the end, what was so mysterious and newsworthy about what they "revealed" in the interview? Nothing. It was non-news. An idea was offered and then turned down, and now one of the parties involved is not even around anymore... It's a moot point and a low, cheap way to get people's attention.

And just to give a perfect example of how these things snowball and escalate -- One of the biggest (possibly the biggest) newspaper(s) in The Netherlands, "De Telegraaf", are running a story on this on their website, where the title and summary actually make it sound like MJ was trying to make a move on her and she turned him down for that... Considering how many people simply glance over articles like this, it's not to hard to imagine how this will look to the average reader.

This. This is why people should be upset about this situation. Oprah is dropping MJ's name to get more viewers, which is a low thing to do. And in the end, what was so mysterious and newsworthy about what they "revealed" in the interview? Nothing. It was non-news. An idea was offered and then turned down, and now one of the parties involved is not even around anymore... It's a moot point and a low, cheap way to get people's attention.

And just to give a perfect example of how these things snowball and escalate -- One of the biggest (possibly the biggest) newspaper(s) in The Netherlands, "De Telegraaf", are running a story on this on their website, where the title and summary actually make it sound like MJ was trying to make a move on her and she turned him down for that... Considering how many people simply glance over articles like this, it's not to hard to imagine how this will look to the average reader.

About the newspaper part: it is so sad to hear things like this. However, it just shows why many stories in the media are not "creditable" and are not based on "facts."

What I have problem with is the sensational headline came up by Oprah's team or the media. What's so "mysterious" about a potential Harry Porter musical? Again, Michael's name is used to grab people's attention.

Yeah, I have to agree. There was no need to use the word "mysterious" in the media coverage for the interview. What was so mysterious about Michael's offer? Did he show up in a black cape and disguise? LOL. And then, unless I missed something (I listened to the interview from my desk at work), Oprah didn't pursue this further with Rowling. If it were me interviewing JK Rowling I would have asked her how Michael made the offer. Did he call her? Did they have an actual meeting together? Did his people call her people? But I don't see how Michael's offer was "mysterious". It's only "mysterious" because Oprah didn't ask any further questions about it, lol.

so he wanted to write music for hp and put it on stage. i guarantee if she went forward with that the whole world would have checked that out, no matter what their intellectual or 'intellectual' aftercomments would be. as of right now i guarantee the whole world will not be interested in hp. just certain parts of the world. i never had an interest in anything to do with hp, and i never will. but i guarantee that if she had accepted, people who can't stand hp would watch the play. i know i would have watched the play just to hear the music. because with Michael, everybody was and is interested, whether they called him a genius or a trainwreck. most likely, if someone else was called a trainwreck, they wouldn't be interesting to the entire world. but the magic in MJ's music is undeniable(2 year old babies singing in carseats or dancing). we can resist a lot of things in life, but nobody can go without taking a glance at magic. even if something hateful is said, afterwards. i don't know what hp is about, cus i was never drawn to it. if it had real magic i would have been drawn to it, and havw some idea what it was about, even if i hated it. but i was drawn to this thread cus mj gave a high profile person of media interest,an offer. seems everyone in the world would at least have some take on what hp was about if it had magic, cus they woulve checked it out before loving it or slamming it. but with MJ there is either love or hate, but no one without a take on what he was about. u can tell by the lawsuitors and salivators surrounding MJ's every later projeccts, while he was here and now(new album thread)(people verbally killing artists not willing to release collabs they did with MJ) that everybody knew that everyone would spend money on MJ, regardless of commentary, so hp musical would've been a hit with MJ music. she probably wouldn't be able to stand the surrounding drama though, from the media. so it doesn't matter in this case, whether or not people like musicals(i don't), the musical would have been a hit with MJ's music attached to it.

Last edited:
I don't think Michael wanted the role of Harry. He had already said "I'm too old to sing ABC" Michael was whimsical and child like at times, but he was all show business. He understood what would and would not go over. I think he was thinking about a new area of music. How to apply his music in a new way. He did write that classical piece we are all still waiting to her.

The fact that she said she declined his offer was enough. The Media like many in the music community has a very ugly need to find something, anything to say about Michael which they can say to us....see he was not that great.......(Yeah right, who are trying to convince, us or yourself?)

:D

I don't like Daniel Radcliffe, he thinks he is so hot.. when he is really NOT.. haha

Good point. He is just a nasty boy with no idea how to be attractive to girls. hehe His nude pictures all over the net as soon as you google his name, which does not make him look more cool :lol:
i have never watched HP and probably never will lol

Last edited:
Good point. He is just a nasty boy with no idea how to be attractive to girls. hehe His nude pictures all over the net as soon as you google his name, which does not make him look more cool :lol:
i have never watched HP and probably never will lol

You know why I wrote that..? That was exactly because of those nude pics.. they are :puke:

:lol: :lol:

Daniel Radcliffe is actually a really nice and smart dude. At least, that is what I can tell from his interviews. I like how he actively supports gay rights without being gay himself. I like him alot, although not as an actors. HP makes me cringe. Anyway, it takes just 3 seconds to create a new MJ news frenzy. Hate that.

Back