JK Rowling turned down a mysterious offer from Michael Jackson

This makes me sad. I hope Michael didn't take it personally. Probably one of the kids just wanted to meet him? Can you imagine one of us saying no to a chance to meet Micheal?:bugeyed

SAd, since I wonder how many times Michael met, greeted, held, shoke hands, kissed, saw people he didn't care or knew about, just because he understood for that person, that little gesture of Michael would mean so much. And he kept doing so all his life, freely.

When you give a personal invitation, it certainly hurts when people tells you NO. Sorry for Michael or any of his kids, who maybe wanted to meet the guy. I remember Madonna explaining how excited her (then) little Lourdes was when she met the cast of HP...

Well... I think it's better refusing meeting someone you don't like that actually meeting that someone even when you don't like him/her just to have a change to make the rounds on TV/tabloids to talk trash about that person... Just as Oprah did and keeps doing with her last "I don't want to end as Michael Jackson".... -_-

Guys this has gone a bit off topic, what Daniel Radcliffe said is a completely different story. Thanks everyone

Guys this has gone a bit off topic, what Daniel Radcliffe said is a completely different story. Thanks everyone

Then we should change the tittle of the topic to "The any thing about HP related to MJ thread" :D
Sorry, you are right.
We don't even know what the author would say (if any at all) and Oprah's idea is just get us to see her show.

Honestly was never a Harry Potter fan. Not my cup of tea, personally. I can't get into all of that stuff. It's just not for me.
As for Oprah, not a big fan of her either. She shouldn't be using Michael's name for viewers. I'm so sick of her.

hi sweetie,
according to what I read: Michael invited the cast of Harry Potter to his This Is It concerts.

Radcliff mentioned that in an interview that was done a few months prior to 25th of June. He added something like: "Of course I refused. I would not be caught dead in a Michael Jackson concert"
301om5j.jpg

I am not sure why he said that so rudely?! was it because MJ was alive during the interview? so the sucking up process didn't start yet!! did he believe the disgusting allegations?? I have no idea..I just didn't expect him to be so rude.

He should have been grateful for the invitation, even if he was not a fan. He would learn a whole lot by watching MJ perform. But eh, he's a kid. Kids tend to say ignorant stuff sometimes. Maybe I should not blame his tactless comment.

Well that was incredibly rude of him to say. Michael was kind enough to invite him to his concerts and he makes that comment. Plus, he has to be out of his mind to decline such an invitation to watch the greatest entertainer perform. What has me wondering is why he feels this way about Michael? Is it really the music he doesn't like or could he possible have believed the false garbage? I agree that he should have been grateful and thankful, even if he's not a fan.

Poor Michael though. He loved to read and so do his children and I have no doubt that the Harry Potter books were among their collection. And if the author and lead actors of this saga feel negatively towards Michael Jackson, that would hurt. I can't imagine admiring someone's work and having them be so arrogant and rude to me when I was being generous. That would hurt. Michael was never that way. He was always so kind and respectful of others and this is how he got treated back. It's just so sad. I'll never understand. :(

I hope the reason Rowling turned down the offer was for the right reason and not for the "wrong reasons" if you know what I mean. But then again, it might not even be anything too big of a deal...

Last edited:
You really do fling poo, don't you? lol! :p

I love JKR and I'm sure she will be respectful towards Michael... why wouldn't she be? I'm looking forward to the interview just because JKR doesn't do that many interviews and I find her fascinating.
Most daring thing Harry Potter does is sneak out of his room at night :clapping:

Can you imagine one of us saying no to a chance to meet Micheal?:bugeyed

I would cancel lunch with every political leader, every royal and every humanitarian just to meet Michael.........

......The only exception is Nelson Mandela (taking into account only living people)........

.....But then again.....Michael would probably be at lunch with Nelson!!!!

I happen to like Harry Potter even after what Daniel said. I'm sure Michael invited him so he can meet his kids. Paris was wearing an HP robe recently.

A shame that folks perfer to believe tabloid trash and not accept a kind invitation from a kind man. That's what it sounds like to me. He didn't accept Michael invitation because of what he has heard....

There's a way of saying "I don't like MJ music" without saying it's so rudely.

Poor Michael.

I happen to like Harry Potter even after what Daniel said.

Daniel Radcliffe is an actor with an opinion. One person's opinion doesn't change my affection for the Harry Potter series.

It's a shame, however, that Daniel didn't experience the magic of Michael Jackson. It's his loss.

Not that any of this matters to “authentic” Oprah, who insists she cares more than anything about being true to her viewers. “My fear about ‘Will the people really follow me?’ — I’m past that,” says Oprah. This past summer, she says, she was reading a magazine article about Michael Jackson and was riveted by a quote from a former colleague of the late superstar. The friend said that after Jackson released Thriller in 1982 and it became the all-time best-selling album, he was paralyzed by the notion that he could never top that. “All the bells went off,” says Oprah. “This is why I lived in fear about this network. I kept thinking I have to repeat the 25-year phenomenon of the Oprah show.” She adds: “I don’t want to be Michael Jackson.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/oprah-opens-up-about-the-end-of-her-talk-show%E2%80%94and-the-birth-of-her-network-own/

mkgenie;3001814 said:
Not that any of this matters to “authentic” Oprah, who insists she cares more than anything about being true to her viewers. “My fear about ‘Will the people really follow me?’ — I’m past that,” says Oprah. This past summer, she says, she was reading a magazine article about Michael Jackson and was riveted by a quote from a former colleague of the late superstar. The friend said that after Jackson released Thriller in 1982 and it became the all-time best-selling album, he was paralyzed by the notion that he could never top that. “All the bells went off,” says Oprah. “This is why I lived in fear about this network. I kept thinking I have to repeat the 25-year phenomenon of the Oprah show.” She adds: “I don’t want to be Michael Jackson.”

Sigh - why can't Oprah just think before she speaks? Michael wasn't exactly "paralyzed" after Thriller - he did continue working and releasing albums. Also, I personally think that he did musically top Thriller with Dangerous and History.

Anyway, the JK Rowling interview is being show on Friday, right? So, tomorrow we finally get to find out what the mysterious offer was.

mkgenie;3001814 said:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/opra...r-talk-show—and-the-birth-of-her-network-own/

well... if she said that, she could have asked the man himself how he managed to get moving for so many years after Thriller. Was she afraid she would get no answer? But... why? isn't she "the most famous woman in the world?" -_- or did she have that fear "after the accusations of 1993", as she pointed a thousand times during her "tribute" to MJ repeating her interview?
the nerve of the woman. Sorry, the "most famous" woman. Of the world, sorry! :smilerolleyes:

mkgenie;3001814 said:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/oprah-opens-up-about-the-end-of-her-talk-show%E2%80%94and-the-birth-of-her-network-own/

Oprah must be obsessed with michael
she mentions his name even when its not relevant to the convo and keep asking her guest about michael.
she should stfu. fake ass woman.

hi sweetie,
according to what I read: Michael invited the cast of Harry Potter to his This Is It concerts.

Radcliff mentioned that in an interview that was done a few months prior to 25th of June. He added something like: "Of course I refused. I would not be caught dead in a Michael Jackson concert"

What an arrogant little fool. Has he done anything extraordinary besides luckily fitting a main character's description? I've read the books but have seen only one movie. I don't even remember what part, that's how forgettable he was.

Daniel Radcliffe is an idiot anyway. He's the most mediocre out of all the HP cast, in my honest opinion. He doesn't even play a convincing Harry half the time--I much prefer the one in the books to him.

In any case, Radcliffe must have one helluva crappy taste in music if he turned down an offer to go to a Michael concert!!! :p

His loss, totally.

tbph he does have a crappy sense of musical taste.... hes in to somewhat heavy punk. At least he was the last time i looked. But thats still no reason to say what he did. And if it was in print and not out of his mouth on video i still think it was twisted.

This is how I read it, I think the media twisted his words:

Speaking to the magazine shortly before Jackson died, he said: "I can't think of anywhere I'd less like to be. I don't like Michael Jackson's music. Nothing against the man, but no. I will not be attending."

It's not a crime to NOT like MJ, there are people with other musical interests.

no but the last thing someone posted a few pages back does seem less like Daniel then anything. He is a polite person but when he gets excited (as seen in VIDEO interviews) he gets a bit chatty and verbal diarrhea happens. I dont think he meant any harm in his comments but like i said if they are all in print and not a video... I cant believe them.

Getting back on the real subject here, I just read that J.K. Rowling said Michael approached her about a Harry Potter musical, a serious one and she turned it down, that's all. Personally I agree with Dan Radcliffe that a musical would be a bad idea for Harry Potter, I can't picture Dumbledore or Snape bursting into song without bursting into laughter.

As for Dan I think what he said was blown out of proportion, he did specify it was his music that's not his taste but he never attacked Michael's character, in fact he acknowledged the happiness Michael's music brought to the world. It could have been far worse as we've seen many jerk actors do. At least he didn't go after Michael after he died in tasteless jokes like Gerard Butler and his plant dangling or shallow/judgmental Rupert Everett. I do agree Radcliffe has kinda bizarre lousy taste in music from what I've read but that's just my opinion.

Getting back on the real subject here, I just read that J.K. Rowling said Michael approached her about a Harry Potter musical, a serious one and she turned it down, that's all. Personally I agree with Dan Radcliffe that a musical would be a bad idea for Harry Potter, I can't picture Dumbledore or Snape bursting into song without bursting into laughter.

Haha, that sounds like something Michael would get into, but I can see why Rowling would turn that down. It's a lovely idea....in theory! I also think the storyline would have to be changed as well to fit a "musical" type setting. Maybe Rowling didn't want to make that compromise, and lose the detailed essence that Harry Potter is to young children. I think HP has had it's run of commercial successes and Rowling doesn't wanna take it any further than the movies. The woman's set for life anyway now. She don't need a musical, lol!

So it was a musical, you say? Well, that would definitely not work out, with the kind of setting Harry Potter has. Besides, the book series is far too long to fit a three-hour segment, and I doubt people would go see it seven times if they have the movies. >.>

Besides, I couldn't picture it fitting a musical setting anyway. It would either have to be adapted to be all happy happy joy joy thus killing most of its intrigue, or it would have undergone the Notre-Dame de Paris treatment, making it all dark, but it would lose a significant portion of the children's audience if it went down that route (NDdP is really meant for adult audiences, regardless of the 1997 Disney movie adaptation.)

It is a good idea in theory, looking at how many successful musicals have been made of classic literature: The Phantom of the Opera, Notre-Dame de Paris, and Dracula, to name a few, but what do all of these have in common? The fact that they're not a seven-book series lol. xD

Still, you can't blame Michael for having good ideas! =D
A true visionary until the end!!

Re: Rowling rejected Michael Jackson's idea of 'Harry Potter' musical

that's sad.... I am a huge fan of musicals and it was always my dream that Michael would write a musical one day...

what the hell is sooooooo MYSTERIOUS about a musical? I hate Oprah...

Back