Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

^^ She looks incredible! I cannot wait to hear Gang Bang :fear: and I really love Masterpiece...it's great :DWhat latest snippet are u talking about, Travis?

"Falling Free". It's stunningly gorgeous. Almost has a celtic vibe to it and her voice is just so pure. I posted it up above but here it is again...

"Falling Free". It's stunningly gorgeous. Almost has a celtic vibe to it and her voice is just so pure. I posted it up above but here it is again...

Oh, sorry, I missed the first time you posted it...I was on my iPhone, so I somehow missed it :lol:

I really like it, it's quite different :D

Live Nation has confirmed today that tour will come to Brazil!!!!! :woohoo:
www.MessenTools.com-Humor-pelos-locos.gif
kermit.gif
247.gif

The new album has do not got me. I expected something that was as incredible as Ray of Light was by the fact that William Orbit to be on the album..... :( But maybe I change my mind when I listen carefully. :scratch: But I confess that I miss the old Madonna and great videos she made in the past. Madonna does not do more videos like before. :(

Don't worry, Ash. All the dancey songs on the new album aren't produced by William Orbit anyway and they're just one side of MDNA. Do you remember Masterpiece? Now this will be the other side of MDNA - slow, ballad-like songs, all produced by William Orbit. Listen to the preview of "Falling Free", another song which will be on the album and is one of the songs produced by William Orbit. Here it is (I'm sure you'll love it!):

MDNA is a mix of all things Madonna and I believe it will also bring some fresh sounds as well (like Falling Free). MDNA = Madonna DNA.

Madonna World Tour Rehearsals

427980_10150743421749402_10584534401_11625548_781347349_n.jpg

419431_10150743421679402_10584534401_11625546_2080589310_n.jpg

:wild:

Don't worry, Ash. All the dancey songs on the new album aren't produced by William Orbit anyway and they're just one side of MDNA. Do you remember Masterpiece? Now this will be the other side of MDNA - slow, ballad-like songs, all produced by William Orbit. Listen to the preview of "Falling Free", another song which will be on the album and is one of the songs produced by William Orbit. Here it is (I'm sure you'll love it!):

;)

I loved that. :wild: I think I need to listen to millions of times the new songs to get used to the new sound of Madonna. :woohoo:

Last edited:
the new album MDNA leaked, 1 hour ago.
listening to it right now. :punk::chillin:

Yes, it's true! Not all songs, though. To be exact, 13 out of the 16 (minus one remix).

I think it's AWESOME! So much better than Hard Candy. Gang Bang is pure genius and she's clearly hinting at her divorce with Guy Ritchie in it (and in I Don't Give A, too). Falling Free is one of the most beautiful songs she has ever done!

Last edited by a moderator:
14 songs leaked first.

but now the complete, deluxe, leaked some hours ago.

i'm completely on the different side. for me hard candy is much better.
some of the songs sounds like this techno shit. like all this gaga and perry shit.
and you know, the gaga an perry songs are very very big shitty songs. ^^
but sure, much better than this songs. like madonna sounds.
its like with michael jackson. her worst songs are much better than this shit songs of these b-stars.

my favorite is "turn up the radio" and 2nd is "give me all your luvin"

Last edited by a moderator:
Madonna's MDNA: Reviews Are In!
Critics praise the album for its 'pumping pop tunes' and being Madge's 'most personal effort to date.'
By John Mitchell

Madonna's MDNA drops officially on Monday — though it leaked online earlier this week — and many critics are calling the set a return to form for the Queen of Pop.

"MDNA — her 12th studio album — is a collection of thoroughly pumping pop tunes, some of which are slices of sheer brilliance. Not only does Madonna take us to the club with MDNA, she exhausts us, drains us, and confides in us," Billboard writes in its track-by-track review. "Five minutes after an aerobic workout on the dance floor, we're in her private booth, where she's spilling her guts about relationships and how things just didn't turn out the way they planned."

Slant magazine calls the album "surprisingly cohesive" given the seven different producers who worked on the project, but has particular praise for the tracks produced and written by Madonna and her Ray of Light collaborator William Orbit. "It's obvious Madge and Billy Bubbles [Orbit] can still create magic together," the magazine writes.

"Songs like 'Gang Bang' serve as reminders that what separates Madonna from most other mainstream pop stars is her willingness to try new things," Slant continues. "Fear — of failure, of looking uncool, of death — can either paralyze or propel you. MDNA finds Madonna continuing to defy the laws of nature by doing both."

In an otherwise middling review, Entertainment Weekly praises Madge's vocal performance on the album's love songs, which are parsed out between darker tracks that seem to focus heavily on Madonna's divorce from Guy Ritchie. EW gives particular props to the Golden Globe-winning Orbit track "Masterpiece" and the "synth stomper" "I'm Addicted," which it says is "a warm ode to a crush [and] offers a good excuse to join in when she says, 'I need to dance.' "

Many critics compliment Madonna's decision to be so emotionally revealing. She's gotten personal in the past, of course, but on MDNA, she takes it to the next level.

"There's something remarkable about Madonna's decision to share her suffering the way she once shared her pleasure," Rolling Stone writes. "Her music has always been about liberation from oppression, but for the first time the oppression is internal: loss and sadness."

The Poughkeepsie Journal sees that as a natural extension of the best Madonna songs. "Yet in some of her most beguiling songs, Madonna has opened her heart and let her defenses down a bit," the Journal opines. "Think of the pregnant teenager in 'Papa Don't Preach,' begging for support even as she declares her resolve. Or the giddy lover pledging eternal devotion in 'Cherish.' Then imagine that those gals had lived a few more years, maybe married and divorced, and you'll have an inkling of the emotional wallop waiting in Madonna's most personal effort to date, MDNA."

More than anything, though, critics seem to be assuring fans that they can breathe a sigh of relief on two fronts: Not only is the album good, it is 100 percent Madonna and no one else.

"There's no denying MDNA delivers thrills. In true Ciccone fashion, club pop pounders like 'Some Girls,' 'Love Spent' and 'Turn Up the Radio' seem to push a bit harder than the competition — that last one's got a drop like an open manhole," the BBC writes. "MDNA also has something the last two Madge albums lacked: ballads, both of which are quite lovely. ... Best of all, several moments prompt a welcome sigh: 'God, only Madonna.' "

Madonna's MDNA drops officially on Monday — though it leaked online earlier this week — and many critics are calling the set a return to form for the Queen of Pop.

"MDNA — her 12th studio album — is a collection of thoroughly pumping pop tunes, some of which are slices of sheer brilliance. Not only does Madonna take us to the club with MDNA, she exhausts us, drains us, and confides in us," Billboard writes in its track-by-track review. "Five minutes after an aerobic workout on the dance floor, we're in her private booth, where she's spilling her guts about relationships and how things just didn't turn out the way they planned."

Slant magazine calls the album "surprisingly cohesive" given the seven different producers who worked on the project, but has particular praise for the tracks produced and written by Madonna and her Ray of Light collaborator William Orbit. "It's obvious Madge and Billy Bubbles [Orbit] can still create magic together," the magazine writes.

"Songs like 'Gang Bang' serve as reminders that what separates Madonna from most other mainstream pop stars is her willingness to try new things," Slant continues. "Fear — of failure, of looking uncool, of death — can either paralyze or propel you. MDNA finds Madonna continuing to defy the laws of nature by doing both."

In an otherwise middling review, Entertainment Weekly praises Madge's vocal performance on the album's love songs, which are parsed out between darker tracks that seem to focus heavily on Madonna's divorce from Guy Ritchie. EW gives particular props to the Golden Globe-winning Orbit track "Masterpiece" and the "synth stomper" "I'm Addicted," which it says is "a warm ode to a crush [and] offers a good excuse to join in when she says, 'I need to dance.' "

Many critics compliment Madonna's decision to be so emotionally revealing. She's gotten personal in the past, of course, but on MDNA, she takes it to the next level.

"There's something remarkable about Madonna's decision to share her suffering the way she once shared her pleasure," Rolling Stone writes. "Her music has always been about liberation from oppression, but for the first time the oppression is internal: loss and sadness."

The Poughkeepsie Journal sees that as a natural extension of the best Madonna songs. "Yet in some of her most beguiling songs, Madonna has opened her heart and let her defenses down a bit," the Journal opines. "Think of the pregnant teenager in 'Papa Don't Preach,' begging for support even as she declares her resolve. Or the giddy lover pledging eternal devotion in 'Cherish.' Then imagine that those gals had lived a few more years, maybe married and divorced, and you'll have an inkling of the emotional wallop waiting in Madonna's most personal effort to date, MDNA."

More than anything, though, critics seem to be assuring fans that they can breathe a sigh of relief on two fronts: Not only is the album good, it is 100 percent Madonna and no one else.

"There's no denying MDNA delivers thrills. In true Ciccone fashion, club pop pounders like 'Some Girls,' 'Love Spent' and 'Turn Up the Radio' seem to push a bit harder than the competition — that last one's got a drop like an open manhole," the BBC writes. "MDNA also has something the last two Madge albums lacked: ballads, both of which are quite lovely. ... Best of all, several moments prompt a welcome sigh: 'God, only Madonna.' "

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1681578/madonna-mdna-album-reviews.jhtml

Madonna Vows to Oppose Gay Law in Putin’s Hometown

Madonna’s first tour in Russia drew the ire of orthodox Christian activists. Now she vows to defy a new law against promoting homosexuality when she performs in President-elect Vladimir Putin’s hometown in August.

“I will come to St. Petersburg to speak up for the gay community and to give strength and inspiration to anyone who is or feels oppressed,” the pop star said by e-mail late yesterday. “I’m a freedom fighter.”

The law, signed on March 7 by St. Petersburg Governor Georgy Poltavchenko, a Putin ally and former KGB officer, bans lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered “propaganda” that could give minors “the false perception that traditional and nontraditional relationships are socially equal.”

Homosexuality was outlawed in the Soviet era and wasn’t decriminalized in Russia until 1993. Seventy-six of the 193 members of the United Nations deem homosexuality illegal, according to Human Rights Watch. At least five countries, including Iran, impose the death penalty for consensual same-sex relations, the New York-based advocacy group says.

Madonna, ranked the 8th highest-earning celebrity in Forbes magazine’s 2010 list with estimated earnings of $58 million, plans to return to Russia for the third time with a concert in Moscow on Aug. 7, followed two days later by St. Petersburg. Tickets for both performances range from 1,500 rubles ($51) to 50,000 rubles apiece, according to PMI Corp. and Euro Entertainment, the organizers of the events.

‘Ridiculous Atrocity’

“I don’t run away from adversity,” Madonna, who has used her fame to support gay rights, said in the e-mail. “I will speak during my show about this ridiculous atrocity.”

Madonna’s first show in Russia six years ago was marred by protests of Russian Orthodox activists who objected to her performance of the song “Live to Tell,” which she sang while wearing a crown of thorns and dangling from a cross.

During the singer’s second visit in 2009 on the Sticky and Sweet tour, a Communist group urged her to sing a revolutionary anthem like the Marseillaise as she performed near the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, which was stormed by the Bolsheviks in 1917. The palace now houses the Hermitage Museum.

The American pop star’s financial interests in Russia extend beyond show business. She opened a Hard Candy upscale fitness center in Moscow last year, a 35,000 square-foot (3,250 square-meter) facility less than 650 yards (600 meters) from the Kremlin. This was the second Madonna-themed gym in the world, after Mexico City. She plans to open a third in St. Petersburg, Europe’s fourth-largest city.

‘Lots of Criticism’

The Russian Orthodox Church, the dominant religious body in a country of 143 million people, considers homosexuality a sin. About 69 percent of Russians identify themselves as Orthodox, according to a poll last August by the Moscow-based Levada Center.

“There’s lots of criticism from the media community about this law, but somehow most of the media forget about this crucial word -- minors,” said Vladimir Vigilyansky, a spokesman for the Moscow Patriarchate, by phone. “It’s about propaganda among minors, not about banning homosexuality itself.”

Russia, which is preparing to host the Winter Olympics in 2014 and the soccer World Cup in 2018, was chastised for the legislation by Canada, which issued a warning to its citizens who plan to travel to St. Petersburg to avoid “displaying affection in public, as homosexuals can be targets of violence.”

The former imperial capital, founded by Peter the Great in 1703, is the country’s top tourist destination and a host city for the World Cup. About 2.3 million foreigners visited the city in 2010, the last year for which government data is available.

To contact the reporter on this story: Anastasia Ustinova in в Чикаго at austinova@bloomberg.net

Madonna Vows to Oppose Gay Law in Putin’s Hometown

MDNA is so flippin' good! OMG! There's no doubt that the Queen still knows how to put out a great pop album. There's only one song on MDNA that is a throwaway imo and it's the bonus track, "B-Day Song". Everything else is stellar. SUPERB!:bow:

Liz Smith: Madonna’s New Album: Divorce, Rage, Regret — And You Can Dance to It, Too!

“THERE’S SOMETHING remarkable about Madonna’s decision to share her suffering the way she once shared her pleasure. Her music has always been about liberation from oppression, but for the first time the oppression is internal: loss and sadness. Stars — they really are just like us.” That is Rolling Stone’s Joe Levy reviewing Madonna’s upon-us-any minute album “MDNA.”

This record is dance-driven, revenge-driven, regret-driven and self-referential to the max. It has already received a batch of impressive reviews; those who have heard it agree it is disconcertingly dark, eminently danceable, and delicately mournful. A wild mash-up.

Madonna, who is only 53, is not going quietly into that good night of ballads and a single spotlight. (Although “MDNA” does contain three ballads — one of which, “Falling Free” is among the most intimate and well-sung of her career.)

But the beat goes on for M. The album is chock full of 21st century in-your-face techo — it thumps relentlessly, the bass booms, and they do odd, computerized things with her voice. Yet it often recalls her earlier efforts, during the halcyon days of her recording career. Her pure, unaltered voice is heard enough to reassure the fans who loved her in the 80s or in 1997’s “Evita.”

“MDNA” is not my kind of music, necessarily. But it is impressive. Impressive in that Madonna does what she wants to do, and says what she wants to say (Guy Ritchie, when you hear “Gang Bang,” duck for cover!) And she says it — haters be damned — against throbbing dance beats.

Listen, Marlene Dietrich spent her entire career — well into her seventies — attempting to maintain the illusion of the fabulous femme fatale image created for her by Josef von Sternberg in the 1930s. At Madonna’s age, she was wearing semi-transparent gowns and singing the same old songs on stages around the world. And looking increasingly bored doing it, too.

Madonna was the sexy, controversial pop star. So she’s still doing what she knows how to do. Difference? She doesn’t seem bored. In fact, “MDNA” announces her revitalization.

She’s always supposed to be over, but somehow she never is. And I abhor the ageism and sexism so resonant in criticism of her.

http://www.wowowow.com/culture/liz-...orce-rage-regret-and-you-can-dance-to-it-too/

I'm in total agreeance with Liz. I loathe both ageism and sexism that is so prevalent in our society and pop culture. "Old" artists and women in particular are treated so unfairly. Madonna's Superbowl performance was a great example of that. While reviews were very positive, the ones that did criticize were almost entirely based around her age and sex. Ugh!

I'm in total agreeance with Liz. I loathe both ageism and sexism that is so prevalent in our society and pop culture. "Old" artists and women in particular are treated so unfairly. Madonna's Superbowl performance was a great example of that. While reviews were very positive, the ones that did criticize were almost entirely based around her age and sex. Ugh!

I agree. Some people are really giving Madonna grief about her age and calling her a "hag". People get older. It's a fact of life. Is she supposed to disappear or make "rocking-chair" music since they basically say she can't want to dance anymore? It's not fair. And I don't remember people in the media criticizing her like this for having techno/electronic/dance music with so-called "cheesy lyrics" and so-called "musical over-production" on "Ray Of Light" and "Confessions On A Dancefloor" when she was well on her way to being, as some people claim, "old-hat".

Last edited:
I agree. Some people are really giving Madonna grief about her age and calling her a "hag". People get older. It's a fact of life. Is she supposed to disappear or make "rocking-chair" music since they basically say she can't want to dance anymore? It's not fair. And I don't remember people in the media criticizing her like this for having techno/electronic/dance music with so-called "cheesy lyrics" and so-called "musical over-production" on "Ray Of Light" and "Confessions On A Dancefloor" when she was well on her way to being, as some people claim, "old-hat".

They gotta find some way to slag her off. The truth is that the music is really good and the reviews represent the fact. Haters are haters. Let 'em hate. It sucks and it's sad but we should be used to it as MJ fans I guess. Look at all he went through and for so many different unfair and cruel justifications. In his later years it was always about "can he still do it?" and he more than proved he could with This Is It. Still such a shame we lost him so soon. Ugh. Anyway, Madonna's harsh critics can shove it. Bleh.

Madonna, Lionel Richie Set For Big Billboard 200 Debuts.

Madonna's 12th studio album, "MDNA," is on course to easily debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart next week. Industry sources suggest the set could sell between 300,000 to 350,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, April 1.

If "MDNA" lands atop the list, it will mark the queen of pop's eighth No. 1 album and her fifth consecutive studio set to debut in the penthouse. Her last studio album, 2008's "Hard Candy," started at No. 1 with 280,000 sold according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The new Billboard 200 chart's top 10 will be revealed on the morning of Wednesday, April 4.

Madonna's first No. 1 came on the Billboard 200 chart dated Feb. 9, 1985, when her second album, "Like a Virgin," began a three-week run at the top.

"MDNA's" first week will be bolstered by a successful album sales promotion involving Madonna's upcoming world tour. U.S. customers who bought a concert ticket also had the option of also receiving "MDNA" as part of their purchase. The only sales that will count towards Billboard's charts are those where the customer opted to receive the album.

This sort of ticket/album promotion has been used in the recent past by such acts as Bon Jovi and Tom Petty. The latter's "Mojo" album saw a No. 2 debut on July 3, 2010 -- thanks to a fair number of customers who got the album via a ticket purchase. The same goes for Bon Jovi's 2007 No. 1 album "Lost Highway."

Switching gears away from Madonna for a moment, she won't be the only big news on the Billboard 200 next week.

Lionel Richie is poised to notch his best sales week since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991 and his highest charting album since 1986.

His country collaborations album "Tuskegee" is looking at a No. 2 debut with maybe 125,000 to 150,000 sold. The album collects many of Richie's best-known hits, but he has re-recorded them with an army of country stars. Among the luminaries: Shania Twain ("Endless Love"), Blake Shelton ("You Are"), Kenny Chesney ("My Love") and Tim McGraw ("Sail On").

The last time Richie was in the top two was October of 1986, when "Dancing on the Ceiling" spent two weeks at No. 1.

Richie is also benefitting from a partnership with HSN, where the singer appeared during an hour-long special on March 16. Universal Music Group, Richie's record company, says he sold 20,000 "Tuskegee" albums during the show. (Those sales will count towards the album's debut week, as they were not fulfilled to the customer until this week.)

Here's a flashback for you. When was the last time Madonna and Richie were in the top five at the same time on the Billboard 200? Way back on Oct. 4, 1986, when "Dancing on the Ceiling" was No. 1 for a second week and Madonna's former No. 1, "True Blue," was No. 5.

http://www.billboard.com/news/madon...richie-set-for-big-billboard-1006603552.story

So happy that MDNA is set to debut at #1. So amazing! She'll now have a #1 album in three different decades. Believe it or not, she never had a #1 album in the 90's. Lots of #2's, but ultimately beat out by the flavor of the month time and time again during that decade.

Madonna is now the most successful album act ever in the UK. M.D.N.A went in at #1 yesterday giving her her 12th number album, beating Elvis's record of 11.

I really didn't like MDNA on first listen, but it's steadily growing on me. It's not going to beat Hard Candy or American Life, but I think it's better than the overrated Confessions or Music.

I Don't Give A, Lovespent & Girl Gone Wild all seem to be the best tracks and even Give Me All You Lving' which I hated at first has grown on me a lot.

Also, massive props for releasing the deluxe version on the day of the original, I hate it when artists'labels release them months later so you have to buy both copies.

What was its first week sales in the uk? didnt even know she had an album out. guess im getting old!

whats its like. dance stuff like previous albums?

Last edited:
What was its first week sales in the uk? didnt even know she had an album out. guess im getting old!

whats its like. dance stuff like previous albums?

Not exactly, no. It's not the euro dance vibe of past albums like Confessions. MDNA literally has everything and the kitchen sink thrown in but it works. You'll hear everything from tender ballads, hard hitting club bangers all the way to hip hop beats.

Madonna Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200, Lionel Richie at No. 2

Madonna scores her eighth No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart with the debut of her "MDNA," while Lionel Richie's all-star country collaborations covers album "Tuskegee" bows in the runner-up slot -- his highest-charting album since 1986.

Madonna remains in second place among women with the most No. 1 albums. She now needs only one more No. 1 to tie Barbra Streisand, the leader among women with nine chart-toppers.

"MDNA" sold 359,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan, and is Madonna's fifth straight studio album to debut at No. 1. It follows 2008's "Hard Candy," which moved 280,000 in its first week. "MDNA's" opener is her best sales week since 2000's "Music" shifted 420,000 when it debuted at No. 1.

Meanwhile, Richie's "Tuskegee" starts with 199,000 -- his best sales week since SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991. His previous largest frame in that span of time was when 2006's "Coming Home" started with 75,000 at No. 6 in 2006. Richie was last higher on the Billboard 200 in 1986, when "Dancing on the Ceiling" spent two weeks at No. 1.

Like other veteran acts before him, Richie opted for a creative way to reach consumers with "Tuskegee." Not only did he go the covers route (see: Tony Bennett, Rod Stewart, etc.) but he also brought in a gaggle of A-listers (again, Bennett with his "Duets" albums, or, Santana's "Supernatural"). Further, he isn't just covering old tunes -- he's covering his own familiar hit singles, but with a country slant.

Richie also was the focus of an hour-long concert special on the Home Shopping Network on March 16. Sales generated from the broadcast amounted to about 20,000 sold, says Richie's record label, Universal Music Nashville.

A traditional studio album from Richie would have likely never sold as well as "Tuskegee," which targets multiple demographics all in one tidy package. Case in point: In one week, "Tuskegee" moved more than twice what his last studio album did in total -- 2009's "Just Go" has done 95,000.

In terms of release-week promotion, Madonna was basically off the radar, instead focusing her energy on rehearsals for her upcoming world tour. That stands in contrast to Richie, who worked the TV circuit hard in the past week.

He was the focus of multiple CMT specials and was interviewed on NBC's "Weekend Today" (March 25), appeared on "The Voice" (26, the album's release date), performed on "Today" (27), "The Late Show With David Letterman" (27), chatted with CNN's "Piers Morgan" (27) and finally, performed on CBS' "Academy of Country Music Awards" (April 1).

As for Madonna, since headlining the Feb. 5 Super Bowl halftime show, she's been laying low. Her only significant recent media appearances have been via a live Facebook chat with Jimmy Fallon (March 24) and a brief drop-in at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami the same night.

"MDNA's" sales were aided by a successful album sales promotion involving Madonna's upcoming world tour. U.S. customers who bought a concert ticket had the option of also receiving the album as part of their purchase. The only sales that count towards Billboard's charts are those where the customer opted to receive "MDNA."

This sort of ticket/album promotion has been used in the recent past by such acts as Bon Jovi and Tom Petty. The latter's "Mojo" album saw a No. 2 debut on July 3, 2010 -- thanks to a fair number of customers who got the album via a ticket purchase. The same goes for Bon Jovi's 2007 No. 1 album "Lost Highway."

Our regular recap of the week's top 10 selling albums and songs will be available on Wednesday (April 4) morning.

http://www.billboard.com/news/madon...uts-at-no-1-on-billboard-200-1006660752.story

Congratulations to Madonna on her 8th #1 album and 5th consecutive #1 album. :clap:

I listened to the full album on youtube, before the uploader took it down.

The album has good songs, but I can safely say I'm not a huge fan of the album. Masterpiece is my fave song, followed by I f***ed up.

My least fave are Gang Bang (too much rapping) and I don't give a f...

Back