Michael - Your Album Review + Poll

What is your rating for the Album? (5 is best)

Votes: 131 39.0%

Votes: 116 34.5%

Votes: 53 15.8%

Votes: 19 5.7%

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters
Voted 3

Hollywood Tonight, Best of Joy, Behind the Mask and Much Too Soon are the best, Breaking News is bad and Monster is not that bad though the vocals are just weird.The rest are good.

worst MJ album, but that's not a bad thing since all of the previous albums are extremely awesome, except maybe Invincible which is only awesome.

Pretty much... this is the real rating... The album is alright...

Certainly not Michaels best. The vocals where Michael is really singing are good even though most of the tracks are very over produced and some are fake vocals and not Michael singing.. some lyrics are very chessy gimicky

Not only that, Michael was not there in the finishing product...

3 stars

André89;3127592 said:
I wish that was true.

No need to wish, it is true. Listen to the full songs on MichaelJackson.com, it is clearly Michael singing on ALL songs.

No need to wish, it is true. Listen to the full songs on MichaelJackson.com, it is clearly Michael singing on ALL songs.

Well, that's your opinion.

The way I see it, it is obvious that Michael Jackson is NOT singing a lot of the songs on "Michael". It's just not his voice, and the difference between the genuine and fake recordings are striking.

But since people clearly already has made up their minds, there's really no point in discussing this further.

Last edited:
'Michael' is exactly the album I was hoping for, and I really couldn't ask for more other than MJ still having been here to put his finishing touches and witness his return to the top of the charts.

Michael 5/5 *****

Hold My Hand - A sweet duet with Akon but easily the weakest track on the album. Not poor by any means, but compared with the others it is lacking as an opener but still very pleasant. It has a light and breezy approach and MJ and Akon's voices blend nicely (but MJ outshines with his impeccable and effortless vocals).

Hollywood Tonight - MJ comes out swinging, beat-boxing, and bringing the heat as only he can. The bass is killer. It also addresses the cut-throat style of Hollywood and what it can do to a person.

Keep Your Head Up - What can I say? This track is a classic MJ anthem. It's uplifting, motivational, and exactly the type of message MJ wanted to share with the world.

(I Like) The Way You Love Me - As if the demo wasn't good enough, it is made only greater by giving it a polished and pulsing feel, and who couldn't love the opening message from Michael? Another little insight in to his genius and process.

Monster - Michael means business on this track. It's angry, it's hard hitting, and it will spill blood on the dance floor. If this doesn't shake your booty, you best be checking your pulse. This is another introspective take on MJ's views of fame.

Best Of Joy - Gorgeous. Beautiful. Masterpiece. Michael sings like an angel and makes us all feel his warmth and true joy as the title suggests. Yes MJ, you are forever. This is a personal favorite and possibly my all time favorite song of all time.

Breaking News - MJ throws down the gauntlet in his ever ongoing battle with the media. He revisits his pain and frustration in the vein of "Privacy", but with a sharper beat and more direct lyrics. No holding back.

(I Can't Take It) Another Day - MJ, with help of Lenny Kravitz, gives us another example of his yearning to hold on to the ones he loves to help pull him through the storm. There is a growl in his voice and a burning in his heart. You can feel the passion. I would dare say it's as masterful as "We've Had Enough".

Behind The Music - A true masterpiece. The lyrics, the vocals, and the music all pull together to create one of the best tracks of not only the album, but of MJ's career. The futuristic sound is a mixture of old and new, creating a hybrid that serves Michael very well. It's a sad reminder of his genius and loss.

Much Too Soon - An agonizingly beautiful and delicately sung ballad. No one can convey emotions like loss, pain, and love in their voice with such grace and ease like our King.

Ending notes: While we had hoped leaked tracks like "DYKWYCA" and "Blue Gangsta" had made the cut, the flow of the album is excellent and very balanced. Sony and The Estate would have been very hard pressed to deliver a better track listing. It's a hard feat to deliver a 5 star posthumous album, but the King of Pop delivers BIG TIME. It's as if he is still here (which he is, in his music and our hearts).

Last edited:

Could you please elaborate how you so clearly hear Michael singing in all songs? I'm not picking a fight with you. I want to know how people who have different opinions form their conclusion.

I actually love KYHU and hear Michael a lot in that one. I'm still struggling with Breaking News. Giving how Breaking News is mixed and layerd, it's hard to identify Michael in most of Breaking News. Quincy Jones can't tell neither.

So i gave the album 4 stars. I would have given it 5 stars, but I did not because Michael did not have final say in this album, and it is not officially his album. I will say this though i LOVED the album very much, it has this very cool dark, and melodic vibe to it. I seriously love all the songs off of it. I think the singles out so far are weak compared to the other tracks on the album, but thats $ony's fault. I am from America and have to wait till the 14th for the cd, so i listened to it illegally :(. I just couldn't wait!!! But all in all I LOVE THE ALBUM!!!!!!! I think once i get my album in the mail, I will listen to it from 1-10 and get the real vibe of the album.

I give it a 3 even though I love the album. I just can tell this not how Michael would have put together an album. Some songs sound exactly the way I can imagine him arranging them and sounding. On other it just doesn't to me.

I never answered the actual questions so here goes:

Whats your thoughs about it?
It's not what I expected in neither a good or bad way.

Do you like it?
Not as much as I could.

Whats your favorite song?
Best Of Joy and Much Too Soon.

Whats the best song? Whats the worst?
Best - Best Of Joy. Worst - Hollywood Tonight.

Whats the greatest thing about it, what could be made better?
A less pompous cover, better audio mastering and more tracks or at least longer.

Whats your ranking of the songs?
See my review.

Hold My Hand 8/10: This song is a masterpiece and definitely shows that Michael's vocal talent only got better with age, the lyrics and the extra Michael we hear (on top of the 2008 version) are the songs upsides, however, Akon's annoying auto-tuned rapping brings this song down.

Hollywood Tonight 9/10: The groovy bass and the beatboxing grab you, and the first lines of the song sound like a new Michael that is new and ready for a comeback. The verses, the bridge and the music are all strong points in this song. The Chorus however is quite plain and boring and after a while get repetitive.

Keep Your Head Up 9/10: Alot better than the leaked version, it comes without the earth song adlibs and doesn't use nearly as much computerised vibrato, the lyrics, the vocals and the chorus is all great, and really shines in the bridge with Michael hitting higher notes than we are probably use to, i have no doubt that this song is 100% Michael, backed of course by various choirs and none other than James Porte.

(I Like) The Way You Love Me 10/10: One of the albums strongest tracks, a massive overhaul and revamp of the version released in 2004, Michael's vocals more polished and enjoyable, with a thicker instrumental and modern backing vocals this song soars above my own expectations of the song and has a very nice phone recording at the start giving us a glimpse of his creative genius.

Monster Ft 50 Cent 8/10: Great song, absolutely NOTHING like the leaked version a lot better than Thriller i have to say, has a catchy hook and the Chorus is the best part lyrically (which is how songs should be) the beat is very dynamic and Michael's vocal's are very smooth and give a great tone to the song, however the only downside is the random unnecessary unrelated rap by 50 Cent that follows a great bridge, it definitely brings my bridge high right down.

Best Of Joy 10/10: Being one of the last songs Michael ever recorded (just weeks before he died) it definitely fills me with a flood of emotions, the music is simple and fantastic, it just doesn't get boring, the lyrics are amazing with Michael chanting "I am forever, wasn't it i that carried you around?" it brings the uplifting ballad straight to my heart, reminding me that he will always remain, i add this song to my list of Michael classics along side Billie Jean, MITM, ES and many more!

Breaking News 4/10: An absolute discrace to the album as a whole, the song itself is so incomplete that it should never have been filled in, at least half the vocals are Michael and to me that is way too little to say that it's HIS song, the lyrics are unfinished and arrogent, turning the spotlight on the fact that he's "Michael Jackson" the upsides are that the music is great and the song albiet bad is very catchy, although it just should not have been put on the album, i viable replacement on your iPod is Blue Gangsta.

(I Can't Make It) Another Day 6/10: The music is ok but very linear and at times has a stop start theme, the song starts off really good... but just as you think it's about to end BANG another wave of music follows suite, the first 2 verses along with Michael's strong projections in the chorus are the songs strongest points, i feel there wasn't enough vocals to finish the song and again i vote for a replacement song Slave To The Rhythm.

Behind The Mask 9/10: A MASSIVE refresher from the 2 songs on the album that i do not approve of, the music coupled with Michael's beat boxing and groovy synths give a great character, but it's the Thriller Esque voice in the first verse that hooks you, the verses are followed by an even stronger chorus which is catchy and actually changes each time and continues a long line of Michael's songs you just can't get bored of, the only downside is the annoying outtakes from Dangerous LIVE in Bucharest, otherwise i would have given this a 10.

Much Too Soon 7/10: Simple in it's grace and Michael's voice is breathtaking as he slides note to note, the music is simple and effective and gives this song a good appeal, only things i can say that im not big on is i wish Michael had done some more backing vocals and i dunno about you but i definitely would have liked that song to go for another minute and just as the song's name suggests it ends Much Too Soon.

I give this album 80% or an A grade, it's one of his best albums and outshines Thriller, Off The Wall, Blood On The Dancefloor and Invincible

RECOMMENDED IPOD PLAYLIST

Michael (2010)

1. Hold My Hand
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
4. Keep Your Head Up
5. (I Like) The Way You Love Me
6. Monster Ft 50 Cent
7. Best Of Joy
8. Blue Gangsta
9. Slave To The Rhythm
10. Behind The Mask
11. All I Need
12. Much Too Soon

Could you please elaborate how you so clearly hear Michael singing in all songs? I'm not picking a fight with you. I want to know how people who have different opinions form their conclusion.

I actually love KYHU and hear Michael a lot in that one. I'm still struggling with Breaking News. Giving how Breaking News is mixed and layerd, it's hard to identify Michael in most of Breaking News. Quincy Jones can't tell neither.

I agree that not every word in these songs are sung by Michael, but every song does have the majority of them sung by Michael. I listen to the songs, and I can hear Michael's voice as it sounded like during the Invincible era, apart from the two songs from the 80's which have his Thriller era voice. This is my opinion.

I love reading reviews by fans. Now that almost everybody will own the album by today, I expect more reviews. Keep them coming!

Hold My Hand - 8/10
Hollywood Tonight - 9/10
Keep Your Head Up - 9/10
(I Like) The Way You Love Me - 7/10
Monster - 10/10
Best Of Joy - 10/10
Breaking News - 8/10
(I Can't Make It) Another Day - 7/10
Behind The Mask - 9/10
Much Too Soon - 4/10

Hold My Hand - 8/10
Hollywood Tonight - 9/10
Keep Your Head Up - 9/10
(I Like) The Way You Love Me - 7/10
Monster - 10/10
Best Of Joy - 10/10
Breaking News - 8/10
(I Can't Make It) Another Day - 7/10
Behind The Mask - 9/10
Much Too Soon - 4/10

Are you serious? - That's one of the best songs on the album, and one of the most emotional songs since Ben.

I know taste is individual, but I simply LOVE MTS.

His voice is great, you can feel the sorrow and dispair. Beautiful.

It is a good posthumous album overall.I love really Monster and Hollywood tonight .

My review from Amazon.co.uk

As a fan who has listened to Michael Jackson's voice almost every day for the last 20 years, I feel like I know the mans voice pretty well.

Lets get real here, there are only seven tracks with authentic MJ vocals on this album (and one of them is a remix of an already released song). The other three songs (all coincidentally written and produced by the same person) sound like somebody trying to imitate his vocal style. These three tracks (Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up) should never have been included on this album. Even if they are genuinely Michael Jackson (which is highly doubtful) the estate should only have included songs they were 100% certain of. It is a huge disrespect to Michael's legacy to release three songs which could very well be somebody else singing. His estate are clearly only motivated by money and are not at all concerned about respecting Michael's artistic integrity.

The real tragedy here is that amidst the controversy over the fake vocals some rather good genuine Michael Jackson songs have been robbed of the attention they deserve. Hollywood Tonight has some amazing beatboxing from Michael and is his catchiest uptempo since the 90s. Another Day is his best rock song since Give Into Me and Behind The Mask is a real hidden gem.

But I do not believe that it is Michael Jackson singing on the three Eddie Cascio produced songs. It does not sound like Michael's voice, the tone, the power, his trademark growl.... it's not there.

His estate should be ashamed of themselves. Michael's unreleased material deserved better than this.

As a fan who has listened to Michael Jackson's voice almost every day for the last 20 years, I feel like I know the mans voice pretty well.

Lets get real here, there are only seven tracks with authentic MJ vocals on this album (and one of them is a remix of an already released song). The other three songs (all coincidentally written and produced by the same person) sound like somebody trying to imitate his vocal style. These three tracks (Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up) should never have been included on this album. Even if they are genuinely Michael Jackson (which is highly doubtful) the estate should only have included songs they were 100% certain of. It is a huge disrespect to Michael's legacy to release three songs which could very well be somebody else singing. His estate are clearly only motivated by money and are not at all concerned about respecting Michael's artistic integrity.

The real tragedy here is that amidst the controversy over the fake vocals some rather good genuine Michael Jackson songs have been robbed of the attention they deserve. Hollywood Tonight has some amazing beatboxing from Michael and is his catchiest uptempo since the 90s. Another Day is his best rock song since Give Into Me and Behind The Mask is a real hidden gem.

But I do not believe that it is Michael Jackson singing on the three Eddie Cascio produced songs. It does not sound like Michael's voice, the tone, the power, his trademark growl.... it's not there.

His estate should be ashamed of themselves. Michael's unreleased material deserved better than this.

You are entitled to your opinion, I know, but this makes me just angry and sad.

^Same here. This will make casual fans think twice about buying Michael. You shouldn't spread around these hypotheses as facts. At least wait untill you have proof to back such outrageous claims up. It's such a shame for Michael's art.

^^ I don't think it's "outrageous" at all.

I bought my album and did my bit to support him. But I will remain vocal about my concerns because I don't want a repeat of this nightmare. I'm hoping that the estate will see the fans feedback and learn from their mistakes. Hopefully they won't release any more butchered, cut and paste, questionnable tracks on future releases.

I did say in my review that the non-Cascio songs were excellent.

^I think it's one thing to discuss these opinions on a MJ board, but with posting such a review on Amazon, you are sabotaging Michael. Go to the Estate and Sony if you want to complain about the contents of this album, don't bother people interested in buying Michael with it. You are just taking away from their listening pleasure.

I really don't know what to say other than;

Fortunately, or unfortunately, opinions are like arse holes - everybody has them, but some stink more than others.

To me, Mr MattyJam, your's stinks real bad!!

^I think it's one thing to discuss these opinions on a MJ board, but with posting such a review on Amazon, you are sabotaging Michael. Go to the Estate and Sony if you want to complain about the contents of this album, don't bother people interested in buying Michael with it. You are just taking away from their listening pleasure.

If I had the means to contact John Branca or if I believed Sony even gave a shit then I would.

But these people only care about the bottom line.

You can't hate on me for not glossing over the truth in my review. Even if you believe the Cascio songs are legit, you cannot deny that they are widely disputed and at the very least "questionnable." I respect Michael as an artist and am disgusted that the estate have chosen to use these songs without knowing 100% if they are really him or not.

Some fans on here will buy anything if it's sold under the name "Michael Jackson." I have more respect for him than that.

I really don't know what to say other than;

Fortunately, or unfortunately, opinions are like arse holes - everybody has them, but some stink more than others.

To me, Mr MattyJam, your's stinks real bad!!

Original.

Seriously, are you 14 or something??

If I had the means to contact John Branca or if I believed Sony even gave a shit then I would.

But these people only care about the bottom line.

You can't hate on me for not glossing over the truth in my review. Even if you believe the Cascio songs are legit, you cannot deny that they are widely disputed and at the very least "questionnable." I respect Michael as an artist and am disgusted that the estate have chosen to use these songs without knowing 100% if they are really him or not.

Some fans on here will buy anything if it's sold under the name "Michael Jackson." I have more respect for him than that.

Unfortunately, that's the unspoken rule here. If you don't gloss over the album, you are not a fan.

I respect your opinion, which is shared by many. I found your review to be reasonable and fair.

I would also keep all negativity to fan boards and to private letters to SONY and the Estate.

Because fans claim there are fake songs on Michael, non fans think it's all the songs.

On YT I've read people claiming HT, BTM and MTS was not MJ!! - That's a scandal!
But fans startet it! - Now non-fans thinks the entire album is fake, that's such a shame.
How people can hear anything but MJ in HT, BTM and MTS I'll never know.

But when you hear a lie often enough you start to believe it. And isn't it a shame that fans have got the general puplic to believe Michael is a fake album??

Sure that will do NO good for the sales... So bad.

I would also keep all negativity to fan boards and to private letters to SONY and the Estate.

Because fans claim there are fake songs on Michael, non fans think it's all the songs.

On YT I've read people claiming HT, BTM and MTS was not MJ!! - That's a scandal!
But fans startet it! - Now non-fans thinks the entire album is fake, that's such a shame.
How people can hear anything but MJ in HT, BTM and MTS I'll never know.

But when you hear a lie often enough you start to believe it. And isn't it a shame that fans have got the general puplic to believe Michael is a fake album??

Sure that will do NO good for the sales... So bad.

It's not the fault of the fans. It's the fault of the estate for including questionnable tracks.

It IS sad to see uneducated people calling the non-Cascio songs fake, but that's what you get when you decide to release questionnable vocals on an album.

The real fans KNOW that true gems like HT and MTS are 100% MJ and that's what matters.

The estate are making a laughing stock of Michael's unreleased material. It is John Branca and John McClain who are to blame for people on YouTube doubting the authenticity of songs like HT and BOJ.

Back