Musician Quotes

"We're bigger than Jesus." -John Lennon

Vatican finally forgives The Beatles over 'bigger than Jesus' comment

The Vatican has finally forgiven The Beatles after John Lennon claimed the band were "bigger than Jesus" in 1966.

An article in the official Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, praised the group, saying that due to the beauty of their songs the Jesus comment was "meaningless".

"It's true, they took drugs; swept up by their success, they lived dissolute and uninhibited lives," the article reads. "They even said they were more famous than Jesus. But, listening to their songs, all of this seems distant and meaningless."

The article adds: "Their beautiful melodies, which changed forever pop music and still give us emotions, live on like precious jewels." The band were described as "the longest-lasting, most consistent and representative phenomenon in the history of pop music".

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/50655

That Jesus comment was taken out of context from a British interview by a teen magazine in the USA. In Texas, the Beatles plane was shot at, and other bible belt states had Beatle burnings.

Ok all, this is a thread that is for musician quotes. Let's stay on that topic. All the extra stuff about ANY musician's personal life, is not needed here. So please don't bring it here. Thanks!

Found this in the liner notes of The Stylistics' 1981 Closer Than Close LP:

start_quote_rb.gif
Your body won't move if you can't feel the groove.
end_quote_rb.gif

Leon Huff

^ While we're on it, let's dig up the worst shots of Mike.

I dunno why fans do that but then wanna protest against the same thing when it comes to Michael that they do among other celebs, hyprocrites.

Here you go:rolleyes:
25099ac4.jpg

And a corresponding quote:
"And he is constantly re-modifying something, or changing it, or reconstructing it or, you know, working on some imperfection he thinks needs to be worked on. If he sees something he doesn't like he changes it. Period. He re-sculptued himself. He's an artist."
-Lisa Marie Presley

And in the case of the aforementioned Amy, her appalling appearance happens to match her awful attitude contained in the quote, which itself is a reflection of her unattractive character. Their match is analogous to an actor's appearance being appropriate to the character he or she is cast to play. As for her music, it doesn't register on my volksgeist, but to each his own.

arXter, I see you edited that post with good reason. Saving someone some work? How thoughtful.:D

Shall we pull out MJ's many unflattering pics!? How would that make you feel!?

Did you not see post #35, the one that immediately precedes yours? I did pick out an "unflattering" pic of Michael's and a corresponding quote of Lisa-Marie Presley's to go with it.

In that post, I also explained how in Amy Winehouse's case her grotesque appearance serves her zeitgeist, as it is apparent in the quotes provided.

P.S. Or are you just giving me a hard time? I like Janet and I've repped you before.:D

I agree Amy's no good.

Here's famous gay singer Elton John bashing religion:

“I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people. Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays. But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion. From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn’t seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it’s not really compassionate.”

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/15675821/

^ Fully agree with Dame Elton there, and I rarely agree with him.

^ Fully agree with Dame Elton there, and I rarely agree with him.

LMAO! @ the Dame Elton comment, Elton speaks the truth slowly but surely I think more and more people are starting to realise that religion is just fraud and a way to control people it explains the steady decline in Church Attendences :)

I might be just twenty-six, but I'm an old woman in disguise... twenty-six goin'on sixty-five.
- Aretha Franklin

"Just to know that we put out something that stood for something, not just for people to dance too or to smoke a blunt too or just go to the club too but something that made people think."
- Lupe Fiasco speaking on his Sophomore album 'The Cool'

I had records like Turning Point, which easily went a million, but Brunswick never gave me an accurate accounting. I had records like I Had It All The Time and Without You In My Life; all of them went real big. They weren't fair you know, but I don't even care to talk about it much, if you know what I mean. ~ Tyrone Davis

I think that the Rolling Stones are fantastic. The Beatles are some of the greatest songwriters ever been - how can you speak against success. The Cream, I think they're fantastic. I didn't dig the Dave Clark Five. I thought it was a bunch of crap. ~ Little Richard

If you look at a record under a microscope, the high frequencies are short jagged edges... and the low frequencies are long swinging ones are deep bass sounds. When it cut it at half speed, you're getting more of those on the record. ~ Herb Alpert

Back in the day, if someone said that hip hop and rap was a fad, that was a joke to me because they just didn't know what they were talking about. In reality, there were so many people who didn't know what they were talking about it. ~ Jam Master Jay

Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius. ~ Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

That blows me away… What he needs to do is call me and let’s do it together. I encourage everyone to get out there and buy Bob Dylan’s records. ~ LL Cool J on Bob doing a cover of Mama Said Knock You Out on his (Dylan) radio program

"Hip-hop is supposed to uplift and create, to educate people on a larger level and to make a change." - Doug E. Fresh

I want to apologize to my fans for screwing up again, and to promise them I'll sort myself out. And to say sorry to everybody else, just for boring them. ~ George Michael on his recent arrest for running into a Snappy Snaps photo development shop

"Every time I think that I'm getting old, and gradually going to the grave, something else happens." Elvis

Tony Bennett
Q: How did you develop your singular jazz/pop singing style?
A: I was told not to imitate singers; then you'll only be part of the chorus. You have to imitate musicians. Find out how they're phrasing. I like Art Tatum. He was the most unbelievable piano player. Stan Getz had this honeyed sound. I put those two together and got my own style.

Read this interview several months ago. The part in bold is the truth right there. I've heard many singers saying basically the same thing.

Some people are old at 18 and some are young at 90, time is a concept that humans created. ~ Yoko Ono

"Being in a band turns you into a child and keeps you there."
Thom Yorke.

"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape".
Thom Yorke.

^ Any resemblance to another quotes of another great artist that we know, is purely coincidental ;D

"I think It's a bit of a disappointment that a lot of people's Golden Age of music is still the '60s".
Jonny Greenwood.

And I think it's a bit of a disappointment too, but sadly it really seems like the best of music is in the past :mello:

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business…you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor

Quotes

Ringo is one of the world's true humans. The only one out those four guys, who did not have an agenda. Ringo was just into the music. ~ Peter Tork

I didn't realize how much harm I was doing back then and I think a lot of rap artists probably don't realize it now. I said a lot of stuff fooling around back then, and I saw it do a lot of harm. ~ Adam "MCA" Yauch

DuranDuran;3712257 said:
It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business…you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Wow! That's a neat explanation right there.
I have a feeling he's used the exact same words to give advice to those outside the game trying to get in or already in the game but as newcomers.
I'm wondering what other musicians would think about the quote.
Probably most of them are like, "Yes, that basically sums it all up..."?

Re: JT

Wow! That's a neat explanation right there.
I have a feeling he's used the exact same words to give advice to those outside the game trying to get in or already in the game but as newcomers.
I'm wondering what other musicians would think about the quote.
Probably most of them are like, "Yes, that basically sums it all up..."?
Back in his day (and it still happens today), I imagine he saw many performers get ripped off by record labels, concert/club promoters, music publishers, etc. and wind up broke. He probably has personal experience with it as well. Record contracts always benefit the label more than the act, and it's the same for the movie and TV studios. I've read that James Brown would not perform unless he got paid up front as many promoters would not pay (or pay less than was promised) after the concert. Managers, accountants, and agents would also rip off the acts or not take care of business properly. That's how some acts wind up with tax problems, or they'll hire friends and/or relatives who don't know what they're doing, which happened to LL Cool J in the 1980's. If other people are charge of your money and they're signing your checks, you don't know what they're doing. Billy Joel, George Harrison, & Sting wound up firing and suing managers or business partners. There is a manager of rock groups named Doc McGhee who was busted for drug smuggling in the late 1980's. So Johnnie is right about knowing your business.

most recent ones that moved me

Tevin Campbell
"Just because you can sing, dance, rap, or act doesn't mean you are better than. Stay humble whatever you do."
"
Why did I take a 10+year break from making records?
If you started selling millions at the age of 11, you would totally understand HA!"

[source : http://twitter.com/bigslymn]

He keeps it real. And I can feel the words came from the bottom of his heart.

"I think the inspiration came from the fans. Whenever I'm online or whenever I get a chance to really communicate with the fans and the audience, they always say that they would love to have all of the remixes on one CD." - Deborah Cox

"I appreciate an audience that reacts to the music, even if they jump on stage and try to beat us up, I think that's a fantastic reaction. I think that they're really hearing something then." - Alice Cooper

I believe that one of the worst things that ever happened to the music industry is when it stopped requiring artists do two albums a year. You were forced into a situation where you had to come up with the goods ~ Ken Scott

''99% is the same as 0%. If you're only putting 99% into what you're doing then you might as well go home'' - Will Smith

Back