Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

J
Autumn, on our news they have been speculating for hours now that the meltdown might already be happening.

Yes, I heard that before also. From the article Autumn posted, and on the TV. It's unclear how much and what has melt down, and if it is still melting down. They seem to be trying to contain it / avoid it.

Interesting reading this thread, I've been watching the news in the UK and reports here would suggest the explosion isn't thought to be that severe.

Go to the CNN webpage. The Japanese government has now confirmed that "a meltdown may be happening, and a second reactor has failed."

http://www.cnn.com/

I think that if the Japanese government is now confirming this potential, it must be extremely serious (this is breaking news, as of five minutes ago from this post.)

from what I am getting from local news there are conflicting reports about wheather or not it has exploded....God cant we just get accurate information for once out of ANY government...this is really scary. The world thinks that nuclear is so good...this is what happens...its so sad.

..oh, Lord, how am I going to be able to sleep now, been a mess these days.. so worried for Japan and the world..

never trust governments..

My heart goes out to all those affected. First the earthquake, then the tsunami and now the Nuclear explosions :no: Goodness...

Last edited:
I think the reason they don't KNOW for sure, is that now nobody can get close enough to the reactor to see what's going on?
-----------------------------------------------------
(CNN)
A meltdown may be occurring at one of the reactors at an earthquake-damaged nuclear power plant in northeast Japan, a government official told CNN Sunday morning Japan time.

"There is a possibility, we see the possibility of a meltdown," said Toshihiro Bannai, director of the international affairs office of Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety, in a telephone interview with CNN from the agency's Tokyo headquarters. "At this point, we have still not confirmed that there is an actual meltdown, but there is a possibility."

Bannai said engineers have been unable to get close enough to the reactor's core to know what's going on, and that he based his conclusion on radioactive cesium and iodine measured in the air near the plant Saturday night.

I think the reason they don't KNOW for sure, is that now nobody can get close enough to the reactor to see what's going on?
-----------------------------------------------------
(CNN)
A meltdown may be occurring at one of the reactors at an earthquake-damaged nuclear power plant in northeast Japan, a government official told CNN Sunday morning Japan time.

"There is a possibility, we see the possibility of a meltdown," said Toshihiro Bannai, director of the international affairs office of Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety, in a telephone interview with CNN from the agency's Tokyo headquarters. "At this point, we have still not confirmed that there is an actual meltdown, but there is a possibility."

Bannai said engineers have been unable to get close enough to the reactor's core to know what's going on, and that he based his conclusion on radioactive cesium and iodine measured in the air near the plant Saturday night.
thank you for that update....very scary indeed.

thank you for that update....very scary indeed.

Yes. And even more scary because we have so little information. This touches me very personally. I used to LIVE in Japan, and have great affection for that country and its people.

And, my friend is still missing. I have no idea what's happened to her. . . .

Apparently they're using sea water to cool down the reactor.

My prayers go out to your friend, Autumn. I can't imagine how stressed you are. Hopefully you'll hear from her soon. This is terrible. :no:

My heart goes out to all those affected. First the earthquake, then the tsunami and now the Nuclear explosions :no: Goodness...
Yeah...My prayer goes out to all those people in Japan and their friends and family elsewhere.

@Autumn: Where does your friend live? I pray she's safe somewhere.

Yeah...My prayer goes out to all those people in Japan and their friends and family elsewhere.

@Autumn: Where does your friend live? I pray she's safe somewhere.

Thanks for asking. She lives in Tokyo. But, I don't know if she was THERE when the earthquake struck. Still no word.

We should all watch this situation closely, and all add our prayers and positive wishes for the people of Japan, who are facing an incredible challenge. Pray, especially, for the children who are affected.

It's been interesting reading this thread and seeing the different perspectives of news from different countries. My TV broke down today so I wasn't able to watch the news, but this thread has kept me up to date so thanks for that :) I just came across a long article by a major Dutch press agency (Novum/AP) and it mentioned some things that weren't said yet here, so I'll translate it quickly for you guys, perhaps it helps understanding the situation. I'm keeping the people of Japan in my thoughts and hope your friend is OK, Autumn!

Scope of disaster Japan is getting clearer

The scope of the disaster that hit Japan on Friday is starting to get clearer 24 hours after the earthquake. Hundreds of people are still missing.

(Novum/AP) - The scope of the disaster that hit Japan on Friday is starting to get clearer 24 hours after the earthquake, although destroyed roads and closed airports are mostly blocking the entrance to the affected area.

According to the Japanese government, at least 574 people have died due to the earthquake. However, local media claim that at least 1300 people have been killed. Thousands of people are still missing and 1105 people got injured. An unknown number of victims are left under the debree. The death toll could rise considerably, for example because the Japanese railways are unable to trace four trains that were driving in the area on Friday, according to the press agency Kyodo. It is unknown how many passangers were on these trains.

There are major problems with the nuclear reactors in the affected north-east of the country and with two centrals the state of emergency was proclaimed on Saturday. Due to the force of the earthquake they are unable to cool properly. Tens of thousands of residents have been evacuated. Meanwhile, staff is trying to prevent the reactors from getting overheated. Three people that were evacuated from the area have been exposed to radioactive radiance, according to local authorities. So far, they do not show any signs of illness.

At the energy central of Fukushima, the heat and pressure in the reactor rose greatly. Due to the earthquake, the electricity is cut off. The emergency generators are also cut off, which prevents the cooling system from working properly.

Initially, about 3000 people in a radius of three kilometres were evacuated. When the radioactive radiance outside was measured to be eight times higher than usual, everyone in a radius of twenty kilometres was evacuated. In the control room of the central, the radiance is a thousand times higher than usual.

The radiance outside is only damaging in the long term, according to an expert. "If it takes long, it can cause cancer among the population". However, he finds the radiance inside worrying. "I absolutely wouldn't want to be inside there".

It is the first time in the history of Japan that the state of emergency is proclaimed due to problems with a nuclear reactor. Several hours later the manager of this central, Tokyo Electric Power, that there were also problems with other reactors in the area. Here, the state of emergency was also proclaimed. Thousands of people that lived in the area of either energy central were ordered to leave. The situation at the first central was the most serious. The pressure in the reactor was two times higher than usual. To relieve the pressure, radioactive steam has been released. Due to the power failure that operation got delayed several hours.

After an explosion at the nuclear central Fukushima 1, the walls of the building collapsed. Four employees of the central got injured at the explosion, according to Tokyo Electric Power. The metal cover in which the reactor is, did not get damaged. The radioactive radiance around the central did not increase after the explosion, but is actually decreasing according to a spokesperson of the Japanese government. The pressure in the reactors is also decreasing. Since the earthquake, the pressure increased and the temperature rose because the cooling system did not work properly anymore.

With the Japanese authorities, there is still a fear of a meltdown of one of the reactors. A meltdown, which indicates a very serious collapse of a central where temperatures are no longer able to be regulated, does not necessarily have to cause great danger, according to Yaroslav Shtrombakh, a Russian expert in the field of nuclear energy. According to Shtrombakh, a disaster like Tchernobyl seems unlikely. "It is not a quick reaction as was the case with Tchernobyl. I think everything will remain within the area and that it won't be a major catastrophe".

However, virtually every intake of radiance can increase the number of cancer patients and the authorities will provide iodine to the residents of the area, according to the International Nuclear Agency. Iodine neutralizes the effects of nuclear radiance.

... There is a lot more but I'm done for now. I'll continue tomorrow if anyone's interested :p

QUOTE=Milka;3291347]I just heard for the second time on the news today (the first time I thought it was wrong information) that we in Austria got iodine tablets back then. Which I find interesting, because if that's true - I never saw an iodine tablet in my life and wouldn't know what it looks like. And in 1986 I was still in school, you'd think they would hand them out in schools? If there was enough danger for handing them out, why does there seem to be a myth 25 years later about everybody in Austria getting them? So no, to this day we don't know the whole truth about it.[/QUOTE]

In Sweden we didn´t get iodine tablets for free but we did buy them,although it was to late the radiation was already here.

Extending my thoughts and prayers to all that are being affected by this. I wish there was a way for everyone to leave Japan temporarily until that island stops rocking.

Oh boy... I so wished there would be some good news from Japan when I woke up, but after reading the local news this morning, it seems that everything only became worse again.

Here are some updates from Belgium:

The government continued testing people on radiation.
The results so far told us that 9 people have been tested positive.
However, they do fear that between 70 and 160 people may test positive at the end.

Here they mention problems with 3 nuclear reactors as well, they would have lost control over the 3rd one, which could indeed cause an explosion. If that would happen, it would become a disaster.

The level of radioactivity has raised since this morning, and an hour ago it was measured at it's highest peak.

The government has been contacted once again (45 min ago) and a new emergency-report has been send to the (prime)minister.

140.000 people have now been evacuated.

I hope the world will learn from this. Ban nuclear power plants.

In Austria we don't have them, there is actually a constitutional law against them (see links), but there are some very close to my country, some very old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwentendorf_Nuclear_Power_Plant

"Since 1978 Austria has a law prohibiting fission reactors for electrical power generation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-nuclear_movement_in_Austria

http://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Erv/ERV_1999_1_149/ERV_1999_1_149.pdf

"Federal Constitutional Act for a Nonnuclear Austria"

Don't forget, what's happening in Japan right now is huge. But there are accidents ALL the time, we just never hear about them. As long as they are small and they can cover them up. We only ever hear about the bigger ones, and it's not like there weren't enough of those in the last decades. If there was a law that every single incident has to be reported on the news or on a special website, people probably would force their governments to get rid of these dangerous killing machines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_nuclear_accidents

I don't think this has been posted, yesterday I also heard that Japan is in the middle of buidling 3 more and 11 are planned. They already have 54 reactors.

P. S. Makes you wonder ... now that we know VERY WELL that just turning reactors off doesn't mean they are safe ... because you never know when and if the cooling system will just stop working - what's with the other 10 nuclear power plants that were turned off during the earthquake? Are their cooling systems working? Are they damaged? This is a nightmare.

Last edited:

Press Release (Mar 13,2011)
Occurrence of a Specific Incident Stipulated in Article 15, Clause 1 of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency Preparedness

At 2:46PM on March 11th 2011, turbines and reactors of Fukushima Daiichi
Nuclear Power Station Unit 1 (Boiling Water Reactor, rated output 460
Megawatts) and Units 2 and 3 (Boiling Water Reactor, Rated Output 784
Megawatts) that had been operating at rated power automatically shutdown
due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake.

In all 3 Units, one offsite power system out of two was lost and diesel
generators were automatically activated.

At 3:41PM, diesel generators failed and as a result, all the AC power
was lost in Unit 1, 2 and 3. Following this incident, at 3:42PM, it was
determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1
has occurred, and level 1 emergency status was announced, together with
the notification to Ministry of Economy, Technology and Industry,
Governor of Fukushima prefecture, Mayors of Okuma town and Futaba town,
and related institutions in accordance with the law.
(already announced)

Afterwards, in Unit 3, High Pressure Core Injection System has been
automatically shut down. Re-activation of Reactor Core Isolation Cooling
System was attempted but failed, and as we were unable to confirm the
level of water injection to the reactor by the Emergency Core Cooling
System, at 5:10 on March 13th, it was determined that a specific incident
(Emergency Core Cooling System water injection inability) stipulated in
article 15, clause 1 has occurred.

UPDATE 2, released this morning as well:

Impact to TEPCO's Facilities due to Miyagiken-Oki Earthquake (as of 8AM)
dot_w720.gif

Below is major impact to TEPCO's facilities due to the Miyagiken-Oki
Earthquake that occurred yesterday at 2:46PM.
*new items are underlined

[Nuclear Power Station]
Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 3: shutdown due to earthquake
Units 4 to 6: outage due to regular inspection
* The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 20km radius of the site periphery.
* The value of radioactive material (iodine, etc) is increasing according
to the monitoring car at the site (outside of the site). One of the
monitoring posts is also indicating higher than normal level.
* Since the amount of radiation at the boundary of the site exceeds the
limits, we decide at 4:17PM, Mar 12 and we have reported and/or noticed
the government agencies concerned to apply the clause 1 of the Article 15
of the Radiation Disaster Measure at 5PM, Mar 12.
* In addition, a vertical earthquake hit the site and big explosion has
happened near the Unit 1 and smoke breaks out around 3:36PM, Mar 12th.
* We started injection of sea water into the reactor core of Unit 1 at
8:20PM, Mar 12 and then boric acid subsequently.
* High Pressure Coolant Injection System of Unit 3 automatically stopped.
We endeavored to restart the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System but
failed. Also, we could not confirm the water inflow of Emergency Core
Cooling System. As such, we decided at 5.10AM, Mar 12, and we reported
and/or noticed the government agencies concerned to apply the clause 1 of
the Article 15 of the Radiation Disaster Measure at 5:58AM, Mar 13.
In order to fully secure safety, we operated the vent valve to reduce the
pressure of the reactor containment vessels (partial release of air
containing radioactive materials) and completed the procedure at 8:41AM,
Mar 13,
* We continue endeavoring to secure the safety that all we can do and
monitoring the periphery.

Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 4: shutdown due to earthquake
* The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 10km radius of the periphery.
* At present, we have decided to prepare implementing measures to reduce
the pressure of the reactor containment vessel (partial discharge of air
containing radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety.
These measures are considered to be implemented in Units 1, 2 and 3 and
accordingly, we have reported and/or noticed the government agencies
concerned.
* Unit 3 has been stopped and being "nuclear reactor cooling hot stop" at
12:15PM.
* The operator trapped in the crane operating console of the exhaust stack
was transferred to the ground at 5:13PM and confirmed the death at 5:17PM.

Kashiwazaki Kariwa Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1, 5, 6, 7: normal operation
Units 2 to 4: outage due to regular inspection

[Thermal Power Station]
Hirono Thermal Power Station Units 2 and 4: shutdown due to earthquake
Hitachinaka Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake
Kashima Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3, 5, 6: shutdown due to earthquake
Ohi Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3: shutdown due to earthquake
Higashi-Ohgishima Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake

[Hydro Power Station]
* All the stations have been restored.

[Transmission System, etc.]
4 substations shown below have been shutdown:
- Naka Substation
- Shin Motegi Substation
- Joban Substation
- Ibaraki Substation
- Nishi Mito Substation

[Blackout in TEPCO's Service Area]
Total of about 0.31 million households are out of power.
Tokyo: 0
Kanagawa Pref.: 0
Tochigi Pref.: 7,221
Chiba Pref.: 301
Saitama Pref: 0
Gunma Pref.: 0
Ibaraki Pref: 298,977
Yamanashi Pref: 0
Shizuoka Pref: 0 (east of Fuji River)

[Supply and Demand Status within TEPCO's Service Area to Secure Stable
Power Supply]
Backup supply from Shinshinano Conversion Station: 600MW
Backup supply from Sakuma Conversion Station: 300MW
Backup supply from Higashi Shimizu Conversion Station: 100MW

Because TEPCO's facilities have been seriously damaged, power shortage
may occur. TEPCO appreciates customers' cooperation in reducing electricity
usage by avoiding using unnecessary lighting and electrical equipment.

We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely
difficult situation in power supply for tomorrow as well.
We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of power.

Please do NOT touch cut-off electric wires.

UPDATE 3, a release from this morning:

Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 9am March 13th)
dot_w720.gif

All 6 units of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station have been shut down.

Unit 1(Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, the unit is under inspection due to
the explosive sound and white smoke that was confirmed after the big
quake occurred at 3:36PM.
- We have been injecting sea water and boric acid which absorbs neutron
into the reactor core.

Unit 2(Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down and Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System has
been injecting water to the reactor. Current reactor water level is lower
than normal level, but the water level is steady. After fully securing
safety, we are preparing to implement a measure to reduce the pressure of
the reactor containment vessels under the instruction of the national
government.

Unit 3(Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, High Pressure Core Injection System
has been automatically shut down and water injection to the reactor is
currently interrupted. We are examining alternative way to inject water.
Also, following the instruction by the government and with fully securing
safety, steps to lowering the pressure of reactor containment vessel has
been taken. Spraying in order to lower pressure level within the reactor
containment vessel has been cancelled.
- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside
the reactor containment vessel.

Unit 4 (shut down due to regular inspection)
- Reactor has been shut down and sufficient level of reactor coolant to
ensure safety is maintained.

Unit 5 (outage due to regular inspection)

Unit 6 (outage due to regular inspection)

Casualty
- 2 workers of cooperative firm were injured at the occurrence of the
earthquake, and were transported to the hospital.
- 1 TEPCO employee who was not able to stand by his own with his hand
holding left chest was transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- 1 subcontract worker at important earthquake-proof building was
unconscious and transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- The radiation exposure of 1 TEPCO employee, who was working inside the
reactor building, exceeded 100mSv and was transported to the hospital.
- 4 workers were injured and transported to the hospital after explosive
sound and white smoke were confirmed around the Unit 1.
- Presence of 2 TEPCO employees at the site are not confirmed

Others
- We measured radioactive materials inside of the nuclear power station
area (outdoor) by monitoring car and confirmed that radioactive materials
level is higher than ordinary level. Also, the level at monitoring post
is higher than ordinary level. We will continue to monitor in detail the
possibility of radioactive material being discharged from exhaust stack
or discharge canal. The national government has instructed evacuation for
those local residents within 20km radius of the periphery because it's
possible that radioactive materials are discharged.

- We will continue to take all measures to restore the security of the site
and to monitor the environment of the site periphery.

The last release, and it's not a positive one:

Occurrence of a Specific Incident Stipulated in Article 15, Clause 1 of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency Preparedness (Extraordinary increase of radiation dose at site boundary)

At 2:48PM on March 11th, turbines and reactors of Tokyo Electric Power
Company's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 1 (Boiling Water
Reactor, rated output 460 Megawatts) and Units 2 and 3 (Boiling Water
Reactor, Rated Output 784 Megawatts) that had been operating at rated
power automatically shutdown due to the Miyagiken-oki Earthquake.

After the shut down, the values of radioactive materials (iodine, etc)
measured by the monitoring car have been increasing. Increase in the
measured value has also been recognized in one of the monitoring posts.

Furthermore, at 3:29PM, Mar 12, radiation dose measured at site boundary
has exceeded the limiting value. Therefore, at 4:17PM, Mar 12, it was
determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1
has occurred.

(as per the previous press release)

After that, the radiation dose at the monitoring post decreased once.
Today, the measured value revamped and the radiation dose measured at
site boundary exceeded the limiting value again. As such, at 8:56AM,
today, it was determined that a specific incident stipulated in article
15, clause 1 occurred.

We will endeavor to secure the safety and alongside, continue monitoring
the environment of the site periphery.

clear.gif
clear.gif

Last edited:
interview of Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet French minister for ecology this morning :

She insisted there was too little information to draw any conclusion.

What she knows :

the reactor nr 3 in Fukushima has the same evolution as nr 1 yesterday : it is possible TEPCO volutarily leaks low radioactive steam (to decrease the pressure inside the reactor ) + there is a risk of explosion (same kind of explosion as yesterday)

there probably is/has been a melt down of the core, within the shell, for reactors 1 and 3. The extent of the meltdown is unknown.

so far the shell is OK according to japanese authorities.

there is no reliable information about the level of radioactivity of the steam issued yesterday, after the explosion.

the important thing is the shell : if the core melts down but the shell is intact, most / all radioactive particles will stay within the shell. If the shell is damaged, it will depend on the extent of the damage, but if it's damaged enough then there is a possibility of a massive disaster.

Again, according to Japanese authorities , the shells of the 4 reactors are not damaged.

About the little information :
the japanese authorities don't communicate much.

There are informal contacts : TEPCO is in contact with other nuclear companies from different countries(Areva among others)

there is a person from a french nuclear agency in Japan, trying to get more info

there are contacts with AIEA

Even when you gather all the information that everyone has, there is still too little info to understand exactly and precisely what is going on in Japan.

About prevention (French pacific islands, in the southern hemisphere)

There is little risk for those islands, because the wind is not likely to reach the southern hemiphere.

opinion of an expert on the set :

they are filling the shells with water

comparison with previous nuclear incidents :
there are too few previous incidents to evaluate the possible impact : so far the closest incident would be 3 miles island (meltdown of 1/*3 of the core, no damage on shell).

it is very different from Chernobyl : there was no shell, or shell was too weak, the reactor exploded almost directly into the atmosphere.

P. S. Makes you wonder ... now that we know VERY WELL that just turning reactors off doesn't mean they are safe ... because you never know when and if the cooling system will just stop working - what's with the other 10 nuclear power plants that were turned off during the earthquake? Are their cooling systems working? Are they damaged? This is a nightmare.

They say other nuclear plants are not damaged.
There are conflicting reports about the Onagawa plant.

She insisted there was too little information to draw any conclusion.

At first there was a lot of information, almost too much to follow, about the earthquake (I just read in an Austrian online newspaper that the magnitude was revised to 9), the tsunami, even about the problems at the Fukushima power plant. And then ... suddenly in the last 24 hours information just died down to almost nothing. Especially about Fukushima. That's scary.

Someting else that hasn't been posted, I think ... Japan's nuclear power plants are built to withstand earthquakes up to a magnitude of 8.25. But this one was an 8.9 or 9 earthquake.

Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale#Richter_magnitudes_examples

The difference between 8.25 and 8.9 or 8.9 and 9 doesn't sound like a lot, but see the table in the link above, it makes a huge difference.

Edit:

They say other nuclear plants are not damaged.

I don't know what to believe ...

There are conflicting reports about the Onagawa plant.

Oh, haven't heard about that one yesterday or today. Just about the fire. The lack of information and what is talked about and what isn't is astounding.

Last edited:
Update from a Belgian reporter who is there at the minute:

NEW UPDATE: German rescue workers are withdrawing because it simply is too dangerous! They argue that the Japanese government minimalizes the dangers.

"The radioactivity is much higher than what the Japanese prime minister says. It's too dangerous to stay here. We leave right away.

"The German government calls on his rescue crue to leave Japan as soon as possible."

A look at 'The Japanese Times tells us that no one really touched the core (or will get to the core). All aerial photographs and press releases ...

media_xl_4098513.jpg

media_l_4098584.jpg

media_l_4098377.jpg

© epa
media_l_4098519.jpg

© reuters
media_l_4098495.jpg

© reuters
media_l_4098497.jpg

© ap
media_l_4098512.jpg

© ap
media_l_4098496.jpg

© reuters
media_l_4098576.jpg

© afp
media_l_4098577.jpg

© ap
media_l_4098565.jpg

© afp
media_l_4098578.jpg

© afp
media_l_4098566.jpg

© afp
media_l_4098580.jpg

© afp

Last edited:
Oh, haven't heard about that one yesterday or today. Just about the fire. The lack of information and what is talked about and what isn't is astounding.

That's what I heard too, a fire, but it looks like it was 2 days ago.

About the lack of information, yes, that's scary.....

Everyone is extremely upset about that.

The french minister said she thought the japanese authorities are entirely dedicated to dealing with the situation.

Also it seems impossible to send people inside the reactor building, it makes me wonder if TEPCO have all the information themselves.

The japanese authorities have warned about a risk of explosion in reactor 3. I'm wondering if they know what kind of explosion to expect, and what the consequences would be.

I heard that the evacuation is complete within a 20km radius of Fukushima, they are still evacuating further and issuing precaution advice for the population + delivering iodine pills.
They seem to be testing the evacuated people for irradiation.
Obviously they are getting ready for a potential massive explosion. It doesn't mean it will happen.

What I gathered from all talks from the experts, they don't seem to know the extent of the possible consequences. They don't have enough references. The reactors in Japan are more powerful than the ones in Chernobyl or three mile islands.
The shells are also much stronger, and supposedly designed to resist an explosion of the reactor.

My feelings about this are mixed : I hope the shells will not be damaged.

But in general, not only in Japan, we are playing with fire with nuclear energy. We don't know what we're doing. Sounds crazy to build nuclear power plant in sismic areas (there are nuclear plants in sismic areas here too). It sounds crazy also that no one seems to able to evaluate the consequences of a worst case scenario.

Someting else that hasn't been posted, I think ... Japan's nuclear power plants are built to withstand earthquakes up to a magnitude of 8.25. But this one was an 8.9 or 9 earthquake.
The French minister who just spoke on TV said exactly the same thing : they base the protection on past earthquakes, at least in France. So if an unusual earthquake happens.... we're not protected.
And since you can not predict the magnitude of an earthquake....

The difference between 8.25 and 8.9 or 8.9 and 9 doesn't sound like a lot, but see the table in the link above, it makes a huge difference.

I come from an earthquake area, I've experienced a few myself, but nothing as big as the Pacific coasts. 1 degree on the richter scale = about 30 times stronger. So a 9 degree earthquake would be around 30 times "stronger" than a 8 degree earthquake.

Using sea water to cool a nuclear reactor as the Japanese do in the Fukushima nuclear power, shows us how desperate they are" says a U.S. nuclear expert.

"The situation is so critical that they are no longer able to carry fresh water to the reactor to cool down, "said Robert Alvarez, a specialist in nuclear disarmament at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington.

"At this stage we are dealing with a situation similar to Chernobyl, where one begins to deposit sand and cement" to a fusion reactor to cover, said Peter Bradford, former director of the American Committee for nuclear monitoring.

Back