Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Airline pilot and US hero Captain Sullenberger

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - Leader of Iran

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Captain Richard Phillips - freed from Pirates

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Am I the only one think it's stupid to have a man of the year be someone who negatively influenced the world, like Hitler? Wtf!? It should be a positive award. We wouldn't want some people thinking that Michael won the award because of negative reasons or whatever light they want to cast it under/get confused with, so maybe it'd be better if he doesn't win it? Idk? Um it's man of the year award, so um sounds a bit weird if Sarah Palin can win it. How many of the past list winners are female? Blah.

At least, Michaels death for the first time in history broke/crashed/collapsed ... the Internet = the worlds most important entity ... (it was not the virus or system error)
I agree. What happened on June 25th affected millions and millions of people (not only fans) around the globe. The world stopped.
Michael on the title of "Man Of The Year".. that would be so cool!

I also think that it should be Michael the "Man Of The Year". The WHOLE WORLD was shocked on June 25th. However, something is telling me that someone like Obama (it would be great too) who is going to win that title.

Isn't the correct title "Person of the Year"?

Who is the one person here who voted for Sarah Palin? Yes, quitting your job as governor to write books and go on a book tour annoying the country appearing on talk shows deserves awards and prizes, lol.

If a person is nominated for their influence for "better or worse" (the "worse" explaining the GWB nominations:D) then I cringe to suggest this but what about that weasel scammer Bernie Maddoff? He sure did have an influence, albeit a very bad one.

But I prefer MJ. The world is still mourning his loss (whether the media wants to admit that or not)

MJ's death killed the internet-Google even crashed because of it. The whole world was united in grief and it just shows how important MJ was to so many people. We had thousands of people throughout the world attend flashmobs and vigils-what person could get all these people, from different ages, races, religions and sexes to all dance together as one throughout the entire planet?

So has he actually been mentioned for this? Or is it just general speculation?

That isn't Man Of The Year, that's an influential Artist list. Man of the Year is pretty much political figures, not pop culture. Time is not like Rolling Stone or People Magazine

You're right about this, Man of the year is mostly political. I'm not going to be mad If Mike doesn't get it. Although it would be neat! :D

Guys, guys, guys.

Of course we WANT Michael to be man of the year. But it's blatantly obvious that it's going to be Obama.

It's a shame really. The ENTIRE WORLD/INTERNETS went into lock down for a couple of hours on June 25th, and have been grieving/celebrating his life ever since.

Yeah..it will be Obama because the "Man of The Year" is often from an American perspective.If you had a world wide perspective it would be Michael guaranteed. I can tell you right now that Japan see's Michael as the Man of The Year :)

Last edited:
This is My letter to Time Magazine - Have Your Say if You DON'T Agree with Their Choice..

Hello and Greetings Time Magazine!! Thank-You for giving US this opportunity to
"Have Our Say"! I would like to draw attention to an OBVIOUS choice that I had not seen You Guys consider or Nominate!! MICHAEL JACKSON!!! Need I say more. There is SO much LOVE out there in the WORLD for Him, and feel quite remissed that His name was not on Your selection list. I have seen the previous Winners and find still that Michael Jackson's Accomplisments STAND FOR THEMSELVES!!! Time magazine has had and enjoyed many years of great reporting and providing the news to the WORLD!! I ask You to step into that roll again, and give Michael Jackson, the DIGNITY AND RESPECT He deserves. Everyone is doing their TRIBUTES and so I believe did You, but "Person of The Year" will show that Time has appreciated what Michael Jackson had done for You when he graced Your covers Nationally and Globally. It doesn't matter what has happened before June 25, 2009. All that matters NOW is that You do what is RIGHT and UNDENIABLE to US His Fans around the WORLD. I know TIME Magazine is NOT scared of "Bad Publicity" and "Negative Critics" , and for this very REASON, I ask You to stand UP for a Man, who stood UP for the World and it's Children and the Planet we live on. Who else could do this for a Man who is no longer here to DEFEND Hisself. There will be many Tributes and Concerts to come for Him. But who will be brave enough to stand up, put in BLACK and WHITE, with DIGNITY and CLASS about the "Humanitarian" Efforts in this His "Legacy". Please DO NOT allow another Country or Magazine do what You know , that no one does better then YOU, TIME Magazine..Make That Change, and Help HEAL The World..One cover of TIME Magazine at A TIME!!!!!

Sincerely,
MJ TinkerBell
aka B.Crosby

Read more: http://talkback.time.com/2008/12/17/times-person-of-the-year-2008/#add-your-comment#ixzz0YCwk2aFm

It felt GOOD !!!! GO MICHAEL !!!

MJ TinkerBell

obama was chosen. i didn't know that. but i'm not surprised. i'm surprised the world knows about time magazine. lol. must have been Michael's appearance on it, that alerted the world that the magazine existed. lol

That isn't Man Of The Year, that's an influential Artist list. Man of the Year is pretty much political figures, not pop culture. Time is not like Rolling Stone or People Magazine

You'd think there is no difference between them if you read the last half of their "tribute" magazine.

I don't care if MJ doesn't win MOTY. Looking down that list, the whole thing's a massive joke anyway. The Computer? They'll only use it as an excuse to talk smack about him and how *nothing noteworthy existed after the Bad album and his fame had 'faded' and no one liked him.*

just proves how underrated he was and is. sad but true.

:yes:

On a related note... NPR is running a poll to highlight the "50 greatest voices in recorded history" next year. Some of the artists on the list include rapper Scarface :)blink:), Judy Garland, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, and many others...

Yet, NPR didn't even include Michael on the list for consideration at all--apparently ignorant to how rich his voice was at such a young age and how his voice transcended and moved so many genres and generations. Can't believe that! (Hopefully Michael is a given which is why he's not on the list of 100 available for voting on, but there's no indication as such).

If they are DUMB enough to NOT to put MICHAEL on their, cover....
I will find the messiest dog and bird and introduce them to the 1-2-3 and a-b-c's of how to RECYCLE by ****ING on real TRASH!!

Did I say that out loud...;)

Seriously though, if they DON'T put Micheal on the cover, what really are they GOOD FOR...????

I wonder what would happen to a magazine like that, if NO ONE buys it...? :doh:

Times are TIGHT !!!! :bugeyed

please pardon the pun...:tease:

I know DEEP in My heart and SOUL...That MICHAEL will be everywhere, They never ALLOWED Him to Be..

They ALL should have to BEG to His picture on their "FOSSIL" pages anyway..
My opinion....:cheeky:

MJ TinkerBell

I think Time will pick somebody coy like "the unemployed" for this year. I think it's going to center on the economy. Maybe Bernie Madoff.

:yes:

On a related note... NPR is running a poll to highlight the "50 greatest voices in recorded history" next year. Some of the artists on the list include rapper Scarface :)blink:), Judy Garland, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, and many others...

Yet, NPR didn't even include Michael on the list for consideration at all--apparently ignorant to how rich his voice was at such a young age and how his voice transcended and moved so many genres and generations. Can't believe that! (Hopefully Michael is a given which is why he's not on the list of 100 available for voting on, but there's no indication as such).

I really like NPR but this "list" is ridiculous to not even include Michael. Their yuppie factor makes them overthink things too much at times, and well, they have surely done it w a group of singers that screams politically correct (the usual list of African-American singers Gaye, Franklin and Wonder- all legends and of course deserving, but again, no Michael in addition???) and exaggerated (Notorious B.I.G. and Busta Rhymes for the more current representation of voices???)

And Scarface? :bugeyed Agreed.

Bernie Madoff..he makes me proud to be an American :puke:

If it isn't Michael then I really hope Captain Sullenberger wins.

His landing that plane was huge news, I was amazed over here in Australia. He did a skilled and wonderful job where many others could have failed and he seems very very humble. So if it has to be anyone but Michael, then i hope it goes to that guy :)

His landing that plane was huge news, I was amazed over here in Australia. He did a skilled and wonderful job where many others could have failed and he seems very very humble. So if it has to be anyone but Michael, then i hope it goes to that guy :)

I agree. If it can't be Michael I would be happy with Captain Sullenberger. I prefer to see a positive, uplifting story than to see another dictator or swindler on the cover.

If Mike doesn't get it, this guy should. :yes: He saved so many lives when he landed that plane and not have one person die.

He was just doing his job. And he was only really saving his own arse. If the plane went down, so did he. He was only saving himself and it was just good luck that he saved a plane-full of people as well. Like good on him and everything. But he was just doing what he was trained to do.

Back