Today's music sucks!

Today Music = money period. Companies dont care what it is like. They know someone will buy it. A classic example of that is all the MJ compilations SONY have released. They know it will sell and it costs SONY very little to produce.

The sad truth. Like I was telling my brother, young peeps now don't really know what's good from what's bad anymore. Basically because no artist is actually around to show them the difference. Some only probably no Michael for "that guy who wants to be white" or "the guy who used to be the King of Pop but now JT is" or some whack stuff like that. They just need people to come back to say "This is how real music should sound" you know?

The music industry is at it's lowest peak.. The DRIVE to make music has shifted, making music tarrible..

BEFORE - It was an artists drive to make great ART in return be awarded with fame/money

NOW - It's the drive of fame/money to make 'art'

When someone is doing it FOR the money, it lowers the creative thought process.. The mind is not clear. The music industry has become a machine pumping out BRANDS of music..

BEFORE- a person that LOVES to create, searches for a music deal

NOW - The companie searches for people that can fit the image they have in there mind that could SELL

They find something that works, and over produces it untill it runs it's course.. That is music sounds, artist image, PR. EVERYTHING.

Todays music is FAST FOOD. Reproduced simply to satisfy a temorary craving.

BEFORE - Artists would sit in the studio, creating a HOME COOKED album.. Sturring the soul for 'Big Mommas' cookin'..

NOW - A Beat maker makes beats, once one becomes popular, he/she reproduces them with very little change, to pump as much money out of that BRAND of sound..

TWO MAJOR producers that are doing this are: NE-YO and Timbaland..

Ne-Yo: The instramentals he uses for majority of his songs are SO simular. It has a reproduced claping sound to as the focal point/forground of the beat/instramentals..

Examples of his songs he did and produced:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FIUv3dOBbCk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hvI9kAUTKA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Rm6DbQvjZI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SF1D0BTM5Lo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFtICBASrpY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YiPHdZzxSMY

Timbaland uses fast ticking sound derived from Southern hip-hop in his background, reproduces the same style..

Examples:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AyDoCjjW1Tw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2__Qdd11rfA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jlTBwNY92pQ

Now this is a SMALL sample. just 2 Producers.. now these producers work for moguls that are even worse.. Controling imaging, and PR, Music..

If music is just getting worse and worse there has to be a pinicle point where someone says, he enough is enough.

Another sign of music being terrible is American Idol and other manufactured groups and boybands. The pump out so much crap. American Idol usually already has an album ready but just needs a vocalist to fill in. Some good singers have come out of it but the majority of the music though is just like sticking a knife in my ear.

Today's music is awesome. Probably not American music. But I'm loving what's been coming out of my country (Australia) in the last few years. I think 2007 was one of the best years for Australia music ever.

very true. Especially with Silver Chair and Sneaky Sound System. terrific!

Today Music = money period.

Exactly, just like I said earlier.

BEFORE - It was an artists drive to make great ART in return be awarded with fame/money

NOW - It's the drive of fame/money to make 'art'

BEFORE- a person that LOVES to create, searches for a music deal

NOW - The companie searches for people that can fit the image they have in there mind that could SELL

Excellent point of views. And when you take your time to think about today's music and music business, it's exactly like you said :yes:

I just can't wait for Michaels HOME COOKED album.. :) that will be something we all have been waiting for.. We need some good ol' cookin'..

If music is just getting worse and worse there has to be a pinicle point where someone says, he enough is enough.

Another sign of music being terrible is American Idol and other manufactured groups and boybands. The pump out so much crap. American Idol usually already has an album ready but just needs a vocalist to fill in. Some good singers have come out of it but the majority of the music though is just like sticking a knife in my ear.

I agree with you, and that's why I don't watch American Idol. It's just a breeding ground for manufacturing karaoke singers, and putting them out on the market. -_-

Man, for real regarding "American Idol". That show is the indicator of how low the industry has sunk. They're taking at BEST wedding singers and turning them into star's over night. Man, you don't even have to have talent to make it anymore. You think ANY of the AI contestent's would have made it passed the regular rout of talent show circut and climbing your way up through the ranks by proving your raw talent from back in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s? Hell no, they'd be elimiated in the first round. When someone calls themselves a recording artist, what I expect is someone who is either an excellent vocalist or an excellent song writer, or both. Someone who I would actually pay to listen to or to listen to their work.

Last edited:
See in my opinon... it's not so much that today's music sucks.... but rather that today's top layer of music sucks.

Take a tip, avoid anything that is highly marketed unless you already know that artist is fantastic.... or already has a name for themselves. There seems to be a huge desire for marketing studio executives to push as many new and exciting looking "stars" to the very front of our media so that we can help them "discover" the next big thing.

Dig below the surface and you can get your hands on some awesome artists.

I think the Gossip are fantastic. They've been around for years and I first heard of them by listening to a kickass song of theirs on The L Word (TV drama show). They're alternative though so they won't make the big time but they're not getting recognition for their awesome sound.

Australia is rolling out fantastic artists left right and centre. Try checking out artists like Katie Noonan, John Butler Trio, Missy Higgins and especially Sneaky Sound System.
They all have original sound and lyrics that don't sound like barrel scraping "soulja boy" ...please don't tell me people actually feel good singing these kind of songs :mello:

There is good music out there... you just gotta close your eyes and step clear of anything printed on a magazine, billboard or pepsi bottle.

what really makes me sick... I have loved hip-hop for a long time.. I think it has SUNK so low.. BUT, the respected people in HIP-HOP, those who a loved listening to etc.. Believe that the rap/hip-hop is at it's high point..

I think people on the INSIDE, think that it's bigger than ever, simply because there are 100 people selling an average amount of albums, vs. 10 great artists selling a great number of albums due to good music..

I think American Idol is a great idea. The show makes peoples dreams come true. A lot of the talent that's discovered on that show would not have been discovered otherwise. A lot of people would not have bothered going through the audition process of a record label. But if American Idol is in town, they think "why not" and suddenly a rare hidden talent is discovered for the whole world to see. I think it's a great idea. It's just unfortunate that the voting system seems to be flawed and the winners are rarely the most talented ones. It's also unfortunate that the winner is made into the product rather than an artist. If the winner was allowed to work with who they wanted on their debut album and take longer to make it than 2 weeks, then some really great music could come out of American Idol. But I agree, it's a shame that what was a potentially great show for finding hidden talent has become just a money-making dream for fox and that's all they're interested in now.

i think thats all they were interested to begin with (money) for idol. yea it helps dreams come true, but it also makes people famous that really shouldnt be famous.. like other reality shows. constantine mouralis, sanjaya, etc. so i dont know........ i have a love hate thing with that show. but i will say if you want to be a singer its god-send, because with regular record companies, its so hard to break through!!!!! and they're only in big cities. what are small town folk supposed to do.

Last edited:
I think the music scene's never been more interesting since web 2.0 where artists directly upload their home made stuff for others to download. There's been genre explosions and people have mixed the craziest things together and it's sounding great! I think there's never been a better time than this for new, aspiring artists and new sounds. Fine, the market may not be as big for certain artists anymore, but that's what you get - the more diverse something becomes, the more the attentions of consumers will be split up.

As for "music sucks nowadays"... no, no it doesn't. To be honest, I never liked what they played on mainstream radio stations, I never liked the mainstream music of the 70's, OR 80's, or even today. Sure, a couple of good songs here and there, but that's it. I always dug deep to find music I like, and I think everyone with a true love for music will do the same. Besides, it's so much more fun than simply switching the radio on and getting good tracks *bang smack*. Music is about discovery, and to really discover, one's got to really search.

As for music eras... I'd favour 1989 - 1996, which was when grunge was the most active. I :3 grunge! I'm used to the fact that nobody's ever heard of my favorite artists, because they have a fandom of maybe 60 people. Who cares I say, cause their music rocks anyway. Often you'll find that even the most low key obscure underground artist can cough up better tunes than many big-label-top-stars can. Seriously.

Soulja Boy up in This Hoe
Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank Dat Soulja Boy
Then Super Man Dat Hoe
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)

BWAHAHAHAH!!

Oh yes its true, today's music PALES in comparisson to the music of the past. And I'm not even speaking of just popular music. I listen to a lot of "underground" stuff, and it doesn't even seen to have as much effort and musicianship as the music of the past. Sure I haven't heard everything, but to me music generally sucks today :(

And like genofond said, there are a lot of internet artists mixing up crazy sounds together, and that's all fine and dandy, and they're cool to listen to for a few times, but they become dated, and there's no such thing as a "classic" anymore when it comes to music. Everything's temporary now...you like it today, you hate it next week. :/

I can only speak for the American scene, but yes, it's been pretty unremarkable for awhile in the way of popular music.

I agree. I mean, sorry to her fans, but ....Amy Winehouse? Record of the Year?
c'mon, people! And not only her....but yeah..... music today stinks....

the grammys this year...I didn't really like 75% of the artists who performed.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

Last edited:
I agree. I mean, sorry to her fans, but ....Amy Winehouse? Record of the Year?
c'mon, people! And not only her....but yeah..... music today stinks....

the grammys this year...I didn't really like 75% of the artists who performed.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

Find it both sad and ironic that they award a DRUG ADDICT for a song called "Rehab"...just sort of is a statement of the music industry today..

forget personal troubles, we're MJ fans here.

if you say today's music sucks (which i tend to agree with on the mainstream side) and then say Amy Winehouse sucks then you just plain don't like modern music lol she's of the few that made it big from the many absurdly talented and gifted underground, struggling artists.

it's fair enough if she's not your taste, but not recognising her talent is silly.

There has always been bad music. It's just that only the good music is remembered. So when we look back on past decades they seem better than the present because the artist we remember from those decades are the great ones. Not all of today's music is like Soldier Boy. That's just one of the many styles of music of today. It's not a good representation of modern music because that type of music probably takes up 1%-2% of the modern music market.

Quoted for truth.

In the 90's you heard that 90's music sucked.
In the 80's you heard that 80's music sucked.

You'll see, in 20 years time you'll look back on the 00's and remember certain songs and you'll be screaming "oh the 2020's music is crap!"

Quoted for truth.

In the 90's you heard that 90's music sucked.
In the 80's you heard that 80's music sucked.

You'll see, in 20 years time you'll look back on the 00's and remember certain songs and you'll be screaming "oh the 2020's music is crap!"

:lol: Well I'm listening to music from 20-30-40 years ago-constantly. All my favourite artists are either 40+ or dead:lol::mello:

Last edited:
:lol: Well I'm listening to music from 20-30-40 years ago-constantly. All my favourite artists are either 40+ or dead:lol::mello:

yes, i agree.
I was listening to 'off the wall' today and I thought to myself - 'damn, this album is 30 YEARS OLD' - how incredible is it that it still makes me shiver?

music today sucks. end of story.

End of your story maybe, but there are plenty of good artists out there today. I specifically remember the 90's for people hating on The Backstreet Boys, Nsync, 5ive and every other boy band that emerged because they seemed to be from the same mould. You also had Prince, who's music took a decline during the 90's, hell... we had the Macarena and countless other one hit wonders that made many people whine about the quality of music at the time. Then you have the 80s. Take a look at this decade and it's very hard to find more than a handful of artists who started in this decade that are still relevant to this day (Prince, MJ and Madonna).

Then you flip the story and look at the good times during these decades. The 80's brought us MJ with Thriller and Bad, Prince gave us 1999, Purple Rain and others, Madonna gave us her best albums in her career, Whitney Houston was beginning to blow us away... theres too much good AND bad in each decade to totally write them off. The 90's brought me my favourite music to this day; New Jack Swing.

So in 10 years, this is how i'll look back at this decade of music. MJ released Invincible, Mariah Carey came back from the brink to give us EOM, Britney shot to superstardom then fell dramatically, Crunk and Southern Hip Hop becomes popular, 50 Cent and Eminem reach their peak in fame, Emo music suddenly becomes trendy to every kid under 16 in Australia. Theres plenty more and to everyone their memory of the music of this decade will differ to mine of coarse (since i'm not a rock fan). But to say theres crap music these days just shows ignorance to the wider picture.

Soulja Boy up in This Hoe
Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank Dat Soulja Boy
Then Super Man Dat Hoe
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)

lol .i love the way you posted this hun!
he looks like a little muppet when he does that dance.
sorry soulja boy fans :unsure:

So in 10 years, this is how i'll look back at this decade of music. MJ released Invincible, Mariah Carey came back from the brink to give us EOM, Britney shot to superstardom then fell dramatically, Crunk and Southern Hip Hop becomes popular, 50 Cent and Eminem reach their peak in fame, Emo music suddenly becomes trendy to every kid under 16 in Australia. Theres plenty more and to everyone their memory of the music of this decade will differ to mine of coarse (since i'm not a rock fan). But to say theres crap music these days just shows ignorance to the wider picture.
this sort of debate should really be about commercial vs undergound/independent - sure there's amazing music around today, but most of it not available to the wider, and especially young, audiences.

many young, potentially great artists, musicians and producers are being shunned by bigwigs for a very important reason and that is their demand for full freedom to creative control. i think the record industry's dominance over the creative process has grown to an incredibly silly extent. sure it's important to keep a fine line between business and art but not like this.

if the business was like that when a critically-doubted 20 year-old boyband member proposed such a contemporary album like Off The Wall, debuting on a label like Epic, i bet you it would never have been accepted without them inserting their giant ****s in the soup and making it sound like the Bee Gees crossed with the Village People.

from a pop/urban perspective, you can go listen to many artists and experts voicing their opinions on this matter like music-geek ?uestlove of the roots who is really outspoken about this.

and this is something Joni Mitchell said in a Rolling Stone interview in 2002:

"So how do you feel when some people say the whole business is going down the crapper?

I hope it all goes down the crapper. It's top-heavy, it's wasteful. It's an insane business. Now, this is all calculated music. It's calculated for sales, it's sonically calculated, it's rudely calculated. I'm ashamed to be a part of the music business. You know, I just think it's a cesspool."​

a cesspool is exactly what it is right now, especially in times where we haven't seen pop dominance by massively talented, authentic and generally all-round accepted artists like we had with Stevie, Mike, Prince etc.

Last edited:
Back