Which operating system do you use?

Which operating system do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • OS X

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Linux (if so, please specify which distro)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mac OS X. :D My older computer runs Windows Vista Home Premium. I liked the older computer (HP Pavilion) but couldn't stand the OS, so I switched to Mac.

I have XP on both my computers...will use it until they both die! LOL

I have used pc's with dos or windows of some kind or another since the 80's. About two years ago I bought myself a macbook and an iMac.
For me I would pick osx and a mac over a pc with windows any day now. I like the fact that my computer boots as fast as the day I bought it even with the hard drive packed full of applications and photographs etc.

I am not saying one is better than the other. Far from it. What I am saying is the years of being a tech head for me are long gone. I no longer have that interest. I like to switch on my computer and get on and do whatever I need to. I'm not interested anymore in the inner workings. So I guess it all comes down to what you want and what interests you. I no longer play games on a computer as I use either the xbox, ps3 or wii for that kind of thing.

In all the years I have been involved with computers of one kind or another I have never had a computer for more than 12 to 18 months or so. During that 12 to 18 month period I would have upgraded gfx cards or sound cards or whatever. I was very much into making sure I was on the forefront of technology.

Today I have had my macs for just over 2 years and still dont see a need to upgrade as everything works just as well as the day I got them. So for me although the initial expense was higher than I would normally have paid for a windows based computer it will in actual fact end up being cheaper in the long run.

Not sure what the comment regarding mice was about either. I still use the mouse that came with the imac and it has three buttons and a scroll ball just the same as any windows based mouse I ever used.

Keep using and be happy with whatever you have. If it works for you then that's what matters.

Cheers

Mike

I have Windows Vista for both my laptop and desktop computers. And Windows XP for my 2nd laptop. Which is pretty out dated now. Only my mother's husband uses Windows 7 for both his laptop and desktop computers.

And anyone can tell me what is OS X? I am not familiar with that kind at all. I guess it is because Windows is the only system I have been using for over 10 years or so now.

hate windows...even modern ones boot up too long lol..so 90s.

mac. plus its all from the same brand!!! unlike pc. i can't stand the windows tool bar.

Windows XP, although I must say that it is absolute rubbish. I intend on getting a mac, or at least a PC with windows 7. My ideal intention is to escape Bill Gates and his empire
of shoddy, ill-programmed computers though. If I cannot switch to a Linux or a mac (both OS of superior quality, from what I have witnessed), I will at least settle for an up-to-date version of Windows. -sigh-

I hate computers, though. They hurt my eyes. :(

Windows XP, and I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 in the next 3 months or so when I get a new computer.

I have to work on both Macs and PCs parallel- and trust me, I will willingly chose OSX any day. Hands down.
My silly little overpriced iBooks, Macbooks and even my really silly little old Clamshell run with a reliability that are unmatched. We bought a wacked out PC and a refurb Mac at the same time here- guess whose machine is the one that's still running without slowing down, while the other one is dying a slow death of "why does everything have to take fu**ing forever???" :D
Whose machine crashes...not mine...

It's one of those things- you are either convinced, or you're not. I don't care if any PC user says I am stupid or silly- for the price of a refurb Macbook- I got a an awesome machine and I don't look back at PCs- I know the PC person in this household spends more money and nerves on his PC than I ever had to spend on my Mac.

Ooooh, I remember countless enraged people on youtube with their lovely PCs just recently...tsktsktsk. :D

PC: Don't know about you guys, but there is a "right finger click" on my macbook- where's the problem? I save gazillions of wonderful MJ pics with a "save as" click every day, check my harddrive. :D
This thing has a battery life that's amazing- even after three years of hardcore use.

I'm not a gamer, so I don't really have issues in that regard. I would have to buy even the most basic stuff on a PC- that came standard on a Mac.

The entire OSX/Windows debate is like debating which religion is the "better" one: waste of time. :D

Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows XP and Ubuntu are in dual boot and virtual machines on my desktop computer and Windows 7 Home Edition is on my laptop computer. I'm a big Windows fan!

I use OS X on occasion, I'm not really a fan of the OS or the computers though. Unfortunately Macs crash on me very often, not sure why, I guess they just don't like me! I find OS X a bit of a mess to be honest and very unstable. I've never really had much trouble with Windows.

I like computers which you can have more control over the hardware you use. My desktop is a custom build, it would probably never happen but if Apple made an OS to run on non-Apple PC's I might consider using it at home, for me though Macs lack the hardware I want.

Woah, old thread.

Stuart_Thriller;3040568 said:
I like computers which you can have more control over the hardware you use. My desktop is a custom build, it would probably never happen but if Apple made an OS to run on non-Apple PC's I might consider using it at home, for me though Macs lack the hardware I want.
Yeah, I think the problem for people who don't like Windows is not the operating system, but the computer itself. If you buy some crappy pre-built from PC world with bad hardware that's filled to the brim with bloatware, terrible anti-virus software like Norton and you're not technologically literate enough to remove it or fix any small problems that might occur, you're not going to have a very good experience. Building your own PC is great since you get twice as good hardware of a Mac that costs 2 to 3 times more, no bloatware and the option to install whatever operating system you want.

Another thing that people seem to be doing is comparing their old Pentium 4 with Windows XP that they bought 7 years ago with the latest shiny £1000+ Mac and are somehow surprised that it's faster. That's nothing to be amazed about, hardware improves very quickly over time.

mikagesouji;2846491 said:
Windows XP, although I must say that it is absolute rubbish. I intend on getting a mac, or at least a PC with windows 7. My ideal intention is to escape Bill Gates and his empire
of shoddy, ill-programmed computers though. If I cannot switch to a Linux or a mac (both OS of superior quality, from what I have witnessed), I will at least settle for an up-to-date version of Windows. -sigh-

I hate computers, though. They hurt my eyes. :(
You do realise that Windows XP is almost a decade old now, right? And you don't need a new PC to install a Linux distribution. Just download Ubuntu since it's the most user-friendly distro, this particular download lets you run it and install it as though it were an application. You get the option to boot into either Windows or Ubuntu at startup.

Last edited:
You do realise that Windows XP is almost a decade old now, right? And you don't need a new PC to install a Linux distribution. Just download Ubuntu since it's the most user-friendly distro, this particular download lets you run it and install it as though it were an application. You get the option to boot into either Windows or Ubuntu at startup.

When I use Windows, I prefer the XP version, simply because it's the best version of Windows that they've ever made.
If you compare the speed/power Windows 7 vs. Windows XP, you'll see XP performing much better.

When I use Windows, I prefer the XP version, simply because it's the best version of Windows that they've ever made.
If you compare the speed/power Windows 7 vs. Windows XP, you'll see XP performing much better.
XP also lacks certain things like DirectX 10, DirectX 11 and its GUI is much more basic and less demanding, so it's not surprising that it's a bit faster. It'll perform better than Vista and 7 with older hardware as well since it's better optimised for it.

But 64 bit version is sub-par and getting drivers for it is a pain.

Back