Who you find overrated and corny?

she has less soul.
slapsmiley.gif

Seriously, I know most people wouldn't agree with that, but I sincerely believe so. Before Mariah had to conform and start singing the disgusting blend of hip hop/pop she's been doing lately, and she sang some of those tourch songs like "Vanishing", "Anytime You Need A Friend", etc... She has real emotion in her singing. Plus her voice is more dynamic then Whitney's. Whitney has a very solid, strong voice, with a one dimentional feel, imo, while Mariah's voice can sound different from note to note and has many layers of timbre. There's a whole lot of depth there. Not so with Whitney.

Last edited:
Since this thread has been booted back up, I took the time to clean it.

Also, this thread's topic is about artists (presumedly) who, in your opinion, you find overrated and/or corny.

This is not the thread to defend or disagree necessarily.

So if someone happens to say that ABC artist is overrated TO THEM and that artist happens to be one of your favorites, this is not the place to argue the point.

Seriously, I know most people wouldn't agree with that, but I sincerely believe so. Before Mariah had to conform and start singing the disgusting blend of hip hop/pop she's been doing lately, and she sang some of those tourch songs like "Vanishing", "Anytime You Need A Friend", etc... She has real emotion in her singing. Plus her voice is more dynamic then Whitney's. Whitney has a very solid, strong voice, with a one dimentional feel, imo, while Mariah's voice can sound different from note to note and has many layers of timbre. There's a whole lot of depth there. Not so with Whitney.
well we both agree on her being a technically "better" vocalist but in terms of emotion and feel, you can't falter with Whitney's superior velvety rawness. don't know how else to explain it.

I like Whitney a lot, I just think she's overrated, that's all. She has a really nice voice, beautiful even, but it lacks depth, imo. Sometimes she reminds me of a fog horn that makes one, solid, loud sound, lol.

woah fog hornerLOL come on mate, she is anything but 1-dimensional - her vocals vary from trademark velvety mid-lows right up to ringing airy heights. and so does her singing with swoops, whispers, 'gospelly' asides and massive crescendos. i mean she's a Gospel singner, ffs lol

OMG...MIley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana is the QUEEn of Overrated and Corny..that is, before she stole that title from Hilary Duff

Also, chris brown, 50 cent, eminem, t-pain (uggh im sick of him wit a passion!), akon, rihanna (to an extent), j.lo, fat joe, ashanti, vanessa hudgens

The Beach Boys. Some of their music is alright, but overall I don't get it.

chris brown justin timberlake pussy cat dolls....beyonce (not corny but def waaaay over-rated)

OMG...MIley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana is the QUEEn of Overrated and Corny..that is, before she stole that title from Hilary Duff

Also, chris brown, 50 cent, eminem, t-pain (uggh im sick of him wit a passion!), akon, rihanna (to an extent), j.lo, fat joe, ashanti, vanessa hudgens

dnt get at miley lol

Whitney is far from the greatest vocalist of all time. She makes the top 20 of the last 20 years. Her technique isn't as good as Mariah's, and her voice isn't as technically good, and in my opinion, she has less soul.

I don't understand why you try so hard to dismiss Whitney's brilliant talent. She totally outclasses Mariah.

I don't know why everytime I try and give my opinion on Mariah, you have to come along and dispute it by saying Whitney is better. All I said was I thought Mariah wasn't overrated, and then I said I thought Whitney was, seperately, I didn't compare them, and then you came along and said Whitney smokes Mariah. So basically, you started it. And I like how you state Whitney outclasses Mariah with absolutely no argument, you just give your opinion with no reasoning. I don't know how you expect to get anyone to believe you if you don't have factual reasons to back you up other then your taste.

Besides, we've got to stop because mello said to.

Last edited:
ok guys take that 2 pms lol lets get back on topic....who else is corny...oh 50cent major cornball

I don't know why everytime I try and give my opinion on Mariah, you have to come along and dispute it by saying Whitney is better. All I said was I thought Mariah wasn't overrated, and then I said I thought Whitney was, seperately, I didn't compare them, and then you came along and said Whitney smokes Mariah. So basically, you started it. And I like how you state Whitney outclasses Mariah with absolutely no argument, you just give your opinion with no reasoning. I don't know how you expect to get anyone to believe you if you don't have factual reasons to back you up other then your taste.

Besides, we've got to stop because mello said to.

I think we've been civil but yeah. I can give all the reasoning in the world but it wouldn't matter. So many folks here present their opinions very matter of fact. Like it's the gospel truth. Why did I or do I reply the way I do? Because you're the first to put down Whitney's exquisite talent in defense of Mariah, whom you have obvious bias. If you reread your posts you will see that you are the one that brought Whitney Houston in to the conversation, not me.

P.S. Madonna is getting trashed left and right but you don't see me challenging it in this thread. So, I do get the concept of opinion.

Last edited:
PopPrince89 said:
:lol: Agree, can't stand Miley Cyrus. No talent, whatsoever. if someone forced me to watch her show I think I would vomit.

50 Cent
Alicia Keys. I don't get what the big deal with her is-I watched her live performance at the Superbowl and didn't think she was all that good......
Kanye West
Will.i.am
Rihanna
Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, and all the other MJ wannabes
Eminem
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears
the Jonas Brothers, Vanessa Hudgens and all the other Disney acts who think they can sing. :doh:
Paul McCartney (I love the Beatles but personally I don't think Paul's vocals are that great. He doesn't have that strong of a voice.)
Beyonce
Elvis
Soulja Boy :puke:
FloRida or whatever his name is
most other "artists" today. I am 17, but I don't even pay attention to the singers most people my age listen to now. I prefer to listen to real music.

I think we've been civil but yeah. I can give all the reasoning in the world but it wouldn't matter. So many folks here present their opinions very matter of fact. Like it's the gospel truth. Why did I or do I reply the way I do? Because you're the first to put down Whitney's exquisite talent in defense of Mariah, whom you have obvious bias. If you reread your posts you will see that you are the one that brought Whitney Houston in to the conversation, not me.

P.S. Madonna is getting trashed left and right but you don't see me challenging it in this thread. So, I do get the concept of opinion.

You state Whitney is better then Mariah as though it were fact with no backing reasons. So that just confuses me because otherwise, I see no point in us having this discussion. Then all it is is you saying Whitney smokes Mariah and me saying, no Mariah smokes Whitney, lol. And there's no point in that if we aren't actually going to talk.

If you would read, you would see that I readily admitted that I brought Whitney up, but I did so seperately from my comments regarding Mariah. I simply said I didn't believe Mariah was overrated, not quoting anyone in particular, just putting my thoughts out there. Then as an ad on, to go along with the topic of discussion, I said one singer who I do find overrated is Whitney Housten, without saying Mariah was either better or worse then her. You came along and said that Whitney destroys Mariah. You made that particular comparison. You brought Whitney Housten in to a comparison conversation between her and Mariah Carey, not me.

You can say all you like that I'm biased against Whitney, but that's not true, at all. I listen to Whitney Housten all the time, I have some of her albums and I really enjoy a lot of her songs. I just think she's overrated because people constantly hail her as the greatest vocalist in the world when, technically, she is far from it, and that's a fact. I think she has wonderful quality, but her range and control is lacking, as is her timing. So sue me for saying so. You're the one who has an issue with me stating such. But if you came in and said, without quoting me, that you thought Whitney Housten was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I assure you, I wouldn't dispute you on it or challange you in any way. I only have done so because you quoted me directly and basically underminded Mariah Carey's talent to up Whitney Housten's, the same thing you accused me of, but which I hadn't actually done until you made it an issue.

Last edited:
Britney Spears
Miley Cyrus
The Jonas Brothers
Soulja Boy
50 cent
Clay AKan(sp?) i don't care lmao..

I have more.....lol

Okay I agree with Madonna BUT Prince? Tha Fuck? Prince is not overrated if anything his underrated.
I absolutly hate hate hate hate hate hate his voice. The songs don't do anything for me probably because I avoid them like the plague once I hear that it is prince. The man cannot sing at all. I know he has other talent but he shouldn't be a RECORDING ARTIST IMO.​

I avoid prince at ALL COST I can stand maddona. I actually like beautiful stranger and 4 minutes (and a few others if I hear them). She's nothing special but I can stand her. She's still overrated though. I don't know how either one of them got a music deal and I don't know what the big deal is about these two. But prince = YUCK:puke:​

my mom told be that before prince finally got his big break that ppl would BOO him and he would keep on singing.:hysterical: I would pay good money to say that.:hysterical:​

:lol: Agree, can't stand Miley Cyrus. No talent, whatsoever. if someone forced me to watch her show I think I would vomit.

50 Cent
Alicia Keys. I don't get what the big deal with her is-I watched her live performance at the Superbowl and didn't think she was all that good......
Kanye West
Will.i.am
Rihanna
Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, and all the other MJ wannabes
Eminem
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears
the Jonas Brothers, Vanessa Hudgens and all the other Disney acts who think they can sing. :doh:
Paul McCartney (I love the Beatles but personally I don't think Paul's vocals are that great. He doesn't have that strong of a voice.)
Beyonce
Elvis
Soulja Boy :puke:
FloRida or whatever his name is
most other "artists" today. I am 17, but I don't even pay attention to the singers most people my age listen to now. I prefer to listen to real music.
crucial keys is my girl. How you gonna sleep on alicia.:eek: William is cool. I don't think anyone has hyped him up though? Who goes on and on about will lol. But the rest of the list is on point.

I had forgot elvis and the beatles. Overrated IMO.:yes:

Back